Liverpool FC - News, Developments and All Seasons

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool - Football Thread

Post by The YeyeMan »

benteke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pmAnother guy who left a big hole but is not mentioned a lot is Wijnaldum.
His role, athleticism, and level of availability has yet to be properly replaced.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm
benteke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pmAnother guy who left a big hole but is not mentioned a lot is Wijnaldum.
His role, athleticism, and level of availability has yet to be properly replaced.
it is a new year, and you choose to ignore the elephant in the room . Why did you people let Mane go?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:18 pm
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:52 pm
Alategun wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:17 pm Elliot is not ready for this stage and Klopp keeps playing him

I see him as a complementary player whose skill set is the icing on the cake of a proper high pressing team, which we are not atm.

He needs to drop to the bench...
He's not up to speed off the ball; same with Carvalho. At least one senior physical should be recruited; or they can give more minutes to Bajetic.

I have real issues with how we use Salah, esp in games like this.

I believe he has the skills set to be moved around a bit in more central areas to become effectively a #10, esp given the pace of Nunez.

I feel like we pigeon-hole him on that left flank too long.

Plus the idea of the triangle with Elliott is not working…we spend too much in the game trying to develop it as a solution in the wide right zone, but too little comes from it...

This game wasn't about the midfield in the defensive sense, cus Brentford bypassed it by going long, early.

Its the lack of cutting edge in the creative sense allied with lack of athleticism...
I expected winning the 2nd ball would be the problem today but it wasn't. They fared well in that regards.

Creativity and control improved once Keita was brought on but the damage was done in the 1st half.

We are all so focused on transfers and incoming players, but I feel increasingly that we are not doing enough to find new and different solutions.

Keita in the Bundesliga was a tremendous force, running at opposing defences. I know he's been hampered by injuries, but as you see in today's game, Klopp lets him run, up until the edge of the box!

I feel almost that the team is too set in its way...

For instance, even with a plethora of high quality CDs, we never ever play a back three...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

I am now thinking that maybe Klopp has decided to change his whole system so that its different to the set up when those guys like Mane and Wijnaludum were there.
And it will take some time for the whole thing to become a well oiled machine.
He's probably realised it's gonna be hard to replace those guys properly.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:46 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:18 pm
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:52 pm
Alategun wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:17 pm Elliot is not ready for this stage and Klopp keeps playing him

I see him as a complementary player whose skill set is the icing on the cake of a proper high pressing team, which we are not atm.

He needs to drop to the bench...
He's not up to speed off the ball; same with Carvalho. At least one senior physical should be recruited; or they can give more minutes to Bajetic.

I have real issues with how we use Salah, esp in games like this.

I believe he has the skills set to be moved around a bit in more central areas to become effectively a #10, esp given the pace of Nunez.

I feel like we pigeon-hole him on that left flank too long.

Plus the idea of the triangle with Elliott is not working…we spend too much in the game trying to develop it as a solution in the wide right zone, but too little comes from it...

This game wasn't about the midfield in the defensive sense, cus Brentford bypassed it by going long, early.

Its the lack of cutting edge in the creative sense allied with lack of athleticism...
I expected winning the 2nd ball would be the problem today but it wasn't. They fared well in that regards.

Creativity and control improved once Keita was brought on but the damage was done in the 1st half.

We are all so focused on transfers and incoming players, but I feel increasingly that we are not doing enough to find new and different solutions.

Keita in the Bundesliga was a tremendous force, running at opposing defences. I know he's been hampered by injuries, but as you see in today's game, Klopp lets him run, up until the edge of the box!

I feel almost that the team is too set in its way...

For instance, even with a plethora of high quality CDs, we never ever play a back three...
Keita was also excellent defensively in the BDL. He hasn't quite reached the same levels but that's down to injuries unfortunately.

Tbf, Klopp, more than any other top coach - including Pep - tends to do more with the tools he has at his disposal rather than seeking solutions in the transfer market. And this season has seen him deviate to a 4-4-2. And perhaps there's something new in store when Cody gets going...
Last edited by The YeyeMan on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

benteke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:47 pm
I am now thinking that maybe Klopp has decided to change his whole system so that its different to the set up when those guys like Mane and Wijnaludum were there.
JK has transitioned the team from a powerful and physical to a possession/control based team. It's mostly worked out but without the physicality needed to press effectively then it can all fall apart.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

He's in the process of evolving the team, which is being hampered by the injuries.
But the team with Mane, Bobby and Salah is no more. Ditto for the MF...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm
JK has transitioned the team from a powerful and physical to a possession/control based team. It's mostly worked out but without the physicality needed to press effectively then it can all fall apart.

Not to underestimate the value of Gini, which was massive, but...

IMO its a lack of balance in two areas.

In attack, the lack of balance in the pressing game, esp considering that many of the parts, new parts, are lacking.

On one hand you are missing key parts, then having to integrate new parts at the same time. The high press of Diogo is greatly missed on the left in Mane's absence...

Then lack of balance in the MF trio behind them. Balance in technical control vs athleticism. Again, with injuries also hampering the team, but to a lesser extent.

There's clearly a missing piece in that CM trio. One that bridges the gap between technique and athleticism...

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Today showed the good side of VAR. VAR disallowed 3 goals for infringements that most people would not have noticed with the naked eye 👁️ (but would have driven people bonkers had they been allowed to stand in the pre-VAR days). Additionally, Yoanne Wissa’s goal was given by goal line technology - again, with the naked eye 👁️, no one saw that the ball crossed the line.

I never understand why people say that “VAR is ruining the game”.
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:32 pm Today showed the good side of VAR. VAR disallowed 3 goals for infringements that most people would not have noticed with the naked eye 👁️ (but would have driven people bonkers had they been allowed to stand in the pre-VAR days). Additionally Yoanne Wissa’s goal was given by goal line technology - again, with the naked eye 👁️, no one saw that the ball crossed the line.

I never understand why people say that “VAR is ruining the game”.

The issue is not VAR, but how it is used.

The first goal came off the arm of Ben Mee. If the next touch to score on goal was from Brentford, its ruled out.
But the next touch came from Ibou, so the handball is ignored, never mind that he knew nothing about it. And VAR cannot intervene. But the ref is there!!!

It also protected Atwell on the Mbeumo goal. The ref was 20-25 meters away from the ball, and again VAR cannot intervene on the grounds of the 'clear and obvious' rule....

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 pm
it is a new year, and you choose to ignore the elephant in the room . Why did you people let Mane go?
You expect a wombless person to be upright and straightfoward? :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:34 pm They have tried to replace this man with everything under the sun, from Diaz to Nunez to Kpo Kpo Ga rri and still they are languishing as a mid-table club. :rotf: :rotf:

Another guy who left a big hole but is not mentioned a lot is Wijnaldum.
Abeg provide the money they have spent to replace him. This is partially the problem with this club. The black players do all the work and get no thanks. Once they leave, they begin to see who was actually doing all the work.

Gini was significantly their best midfielder, but who got all the praises? Milner and Henderson. cursed fans! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:14 pm

He's in the process of evolving the team, which is being hampered by the injuries.
But the team with Mane, Bobby and Salah is no more. Ditto for the MF...
Why are you lying to yourself? The man is finished! A finished coach and you are here lying about "evolving the team" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

yeyeman, you are destroying this forum by refusing to reply and informing CE why you people chose to kick the CAF player of the year and the runner up of the FIFA worldplayer of the year.

you people aren't intelligent at all.. una siddon come use teams abi zoom setup meeting for una outlook calendar and then una decide to sell Sadio Mane , the best footballer from Africa and the 2nd best player in the world after Karim Benzema..hmmmmm ogaooooooo

now the South American Andy Carol dey follow una drink tea and fish for you never walk alone bar and grill lounge ...hmmmm
SuperEagles

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:05 am yeyeman, you are destroying this forum by refusing to reply and informing CE why you people chose to kick the CAF player of the year and the runner up of the FIFA worldplayer of the year.

you people aren't intelligent at all.. una siddon come use teams abi zoom setup meeting for una outlook calendar and then una decide to sell Sadio Mane , the best footballer from Africa and the 2nd best player in the world after Karim Benzema..hmmmmm ogaooooooo

now the South American Andy Carol dey follow una drink tea and fish for you never walk alone bar and grill lounge ...hmmmm
:clap: :clap: :clap:

He has also refused to inform us about his reasoning behind the "Klopp is better that Pep debacle." Sick! disgusting! and disgraceful, if you ask me. :oops:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:19 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm

Not to underestimate the value of Gini, which was massive, but...

IMO its a lack of balance in two areas.

In attack, the lack of balance in the pressing game, esp considering that many of the parts, new parts, are lacking.

On one hand you are missing key parts, then having to integrate new parts at the same time. The high press of Diogo is greatly missed on the left in Mane's absence...

Then lack of balance in the MF trio behind them. Balance in technical control vs athleticism. Again, with injuries also hampering the team, but to a lesser extent.

There's clearly a missing piece in that CM trio. One that bridges the gap between technique and athleticism...
Diaz on the left is also missed. Arguably our best player before the injury. Ox will have to do there for now as the other fit options - Jones and Carvalho - aren't the best fit though both have promise.

And now there's talk of renewing their interest in Wolves' Matheus Nunes - a player who could have arrived in the summer window. Have to say recruitment seems haphazard at the moment but perhaps that's to be expected with the staff working their notice.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

one thing i'll say about this guy is that he is the epitome of the normal liverpool fans -- annoying, repulsive, always b1tching, having the superiority complex, thinking they are great when they arent, and finally, just all around 1mbeciles. You cant make it up. Match made in the pit of hell.

He is beginning to get found out for the loser that he is. 800m and only one league title to show for it. Embarrassment! :oops:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I hear you. VAR is not perfect.

However, even with its imperfections, it is still better than the pre-VAR era when post match talk was dominated by apoplectic fans and managers who raged at refereeing errors.

You brought up a great point re the Ben Mee handball that deflected onto "Ibou" (does anyone call him that?!) for the OG.

A few weeks ago an Everton player smashed the ball against Marcus Rashford's arm about 45 yards away from goal. Rashford then collected the rebound, ran through on goal, went round the Everton GK Pickford and scored. However, VAR disallowed the goal because the ball hit Rashford's arm before he made the run that led to him scoring.

Why was Rashford's goal disallowed 🚫 even though the ball hitting his arm did not contribute to his goal, while Mee's handball (which directly caused Brentford's goal) was allowed to stand?
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:45 pm
The issue is not VAR, but how it is used.

The first goal came off the arm of Ben Mee. If the next touch to score on goal was from Brentford, its ruled out.
But the next touch came from Ibou, so the handball is ignored, never mind that he knew nothing about it. And VAR cannot intervene. But the ref is there!!!

It also protected Atwell on the Mbeumo goal. The ref was 20-25 meters away from the ball, and again VAR cannot intervene on the grounds of the 'clear and obvious' rule....
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 am
benteke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:34 pm They have tried to replace this man with everything under the sun, from Diaz to Nunez to Kpo Kpo Ga rri and still they are languishing as a mid-table club. :rotf: :rotf:

Another guy who left a big hole but is not mentioned a lot is Wijnaldum.
Abeg provide the money they have spent to replace him. This is partially the problem with this club. The black players do all the work and get no thanks. Once they leave, they begin to see who was actually doing all the work.

Gini was significantly their best midfielder, but who got all the praises? Milner and Henderson. cursed fans! :oops:
Indeed bro, those are the kinds of thoughts going through my mind when i am looking at their situation at Liverpool.
I can see that Klopp is having to do a lot of tinkering and almost changing his successful style that had those black boys as the backbone.

Sometimes i hear Liverpool fans saying Klopp is stubborn and is refusing to buy a midfielder.
But again i listen to his comments around that issue and it seems to me that he wants the correct type of midfielder not just any, and that shows that it's not easy for him to replace like for like.