Eddie Howe

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Eddie Howe

Post by danfo driver »

I was speaking to someone about him last week. He is beginining to impress me. I like the way he coaches, the way his team sets up and plays. The fact that, unlike typical English coaches, he doesnt simply go for only English players. I think there is a world class coach in there.

Just saw this today. I like the intensity he pushes for and the movement. Those two things, specifically, as well as his anger towards players who just ball watch.
[/video]
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eddie Howe

Post by cchinukw »

I agree. He is a coach who likes his players to pass like Barcelona and keep the ball on the ground.

The lessons of the past 2 seasons have forced him to adopt a more pragmatic approach to be more direct.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I think he's the next England manager after Southgate.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

If he get one of the big 6 team with big checkbook he will be respected when he start win things.
I will take him over Emery
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

kajifu wrote:If he get one of the big 6 team with big checkbook he will be respected when he start win things.
I will take him over Emery
You may be on to something. A few seasons ago, some commentators were suggesting he might replace Arsene Wenger.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The king of helter skelter....

Yeah, he'll do well with England... :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Bournemouth Closeup: Tactics, Stats, and Eddie Howe
BY FARRELL KEELING 8TH FEBRUARY 2019 844 VIEWS
With the latest against Pellegrini’s West Ham, its been a couple performances to forget for Liverpool. Though one would imagine the club’s fortunes will change in the upcoming Anfield clash with Bournemouth.

WHERE ARE BOURNEMOUTH NOW?
Coming off the back of two consecutive wins including a highly impressive, if unexpected, 4-0 thrashing of Chelsea at the Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth now face a tough run of fixtures with title challengers Liverpool and Manchester City in the mix.

In his sixth season in charge of the Cherries (second stint at Bournemouth), the former Burnley head coach shows no signs of stopping the incredible progress made with a club which once flirted with relegation to the National League.

The story of Bournemouth’s rise from League 2 minnows to the Premier League’s mid-table is truly remarkable. Across two terms of management Howe was responsible for not only saving Bournemouth from relegation to the National League, despite starting with a 17 point deficit but the Englishman also presided over three promotions, taking the club up to the lofty heights of the Premier League at the end of the 2014/15 season.

Bournemouth have remained in the Premier League since – a frankly understated achievement for a head coach who lacked any managerial experience before taking on his first management role with Bournemouth in 2009.

As the table currently stands, Bournemouth find themselves sitting comfortably at 10th with 33 points, five more points than last term.

With a 40% win rate in the Premier League this season, Howe has demolished his 2017/18 win rate (28%) in the same number of games and this represents the Englishman’s best season in the Premier League to date.

EDDIE HOWE – THE ENGLISH GUARDIOLA?
Eddie Howe may not have anywhere near as impressive a trophy cabinet, or have coached as star-studded a squad as the likes of a Messi led Barcelona, your Bayern Munichs, or even Guardiola’s current impressive crop of title winners at Manchester City, but Howe’s meticulous attention to detail and ambitious tactical set-up have drawn comparisons to the world-renowned pioneer of possession-based football.

“I know Eddie very well. He is a very interesting young coach and I think he will make a mark in English football in the future. I’m not surprised that he has got to where he has because he’s very clever and very intelligent. He is only 40 but he is ready.”

– Maurizio Sarri

Having played out a modest career at Bournemouth, including a short-lived spell at Portsmouth, injuries accumulated over time brought Howe’s footballing days to a close in 2007 leading to the player’s swift transition into coaching with the reserve squad.

He took over as caretaker manager of the club following Jimmy Quinn’s sacking mid-season in 2008 and was made permanent manager in January, despite losing his two games as caretaker. It proved to be a deft move by the club however, as Howe helped the club survive relegation following a 17 point deficit and broke a club record the season after winning eight of the first nine games of the 2009/10 season and leading the Cherries to promotion to League 1.

“I am passionate on the training ground about things being perfect. It’s about taking a performance, breaking down every single aspect of it and then working on making each aspect a little better.

“Every moment, every game, every season. I don’t know how Pep Guardiola works, but that’s certainly how I am.”

– Eddie Howe

In terms of Howe’s man-management style, the Englishman arguably has more in common with Jurgen Klopp, his opposite number for the upcoming Saturday clash at Anfield.

Ask any Bournemouth player what the club means to them and one word will always come to mind – ‘family.’

Howe prides himself not on just attention to detail but also fostering an environment where players feel they have a close connection to the manager as well as their fellow teammates.

Fullback Ryan Fraser, a beneficiary of Howe’s management skills, speaks highly of the Englishman when prompted:

“It’s not just about football with the gaffer. I think we like each other as people. On a morning, we don’t shake hands; he always hugs me. I came here when I was young, I didn’t have any family down here and I suppose he felt that he’d better look after me.

“I have just read Pep Guardiola’s book and I can’t believe how similar they are. I can’t see so many other coaches doing the things he does but that is also why I think he will go all the way to the top.”

BOURNEMOUTH TACTICS
Howe’s favoured 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 bears some key similarities with Guardiola’s possession-based football.

Bournemouth under Howe favour patient build up play in possession, waiting for the right moment to transition the ball into the final third and play through balls to running forwards. Like Guardiola, Howe encourages his side to play quick counter attacks to take advantage of lapses in opposition shape where they appear.

Wide men are a particularly important asset in Howe’s style of football, making use of pacy wingers and full-backs in overlaps to deliver balls into the box.

Howe employs two strikers in his set up with one effectively acting as a false nine, allowing a link between midfield and attack. As demonstrated against Chelsea, Joshua King performs this role exceptionally well, often dropping deep into the midfield to collect the ball then create a chance through to the second striker or the supporting wide men. With eight goals and three assists in the Premier League thus far, King also provides a significant goal threat in games.

When out of possession the Cherries press high up the pitch to retrieve the ball before their opponent can take advantage of their disarrayed shape.

Tactically, Howe’s style may be too adventurous for a mid-table side but given Howe’s ability to improve players individually and distil a sense of togetherness in his squad, comparable to that of Klopp or Guardiola, one cannot help but wonder the heights the Englishman may achieve with a larger budget or a bigger club.

Follow me on Twitter for more LFC related content. Don’t forget to post your thoughts!

https://www.foarsite.com/2019/02/bourne ... ddie-howe/

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

[/video]

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote:I think he's the next England manager after Southgate.
He will be foolish to make that move. He should be looking for Man United, Arsenal and Spurs. One, 2 or 3 of those will be open this year. Even the stupid Everton should have gone for him tey tey.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:
kalani JR wrote:I think he's the next England manager after Southgate.
He will be foolish to make that move. He should be looking for Man United, Arsenal and Spurs. One, 2 or 3 of those will be open this year. Even the stupid Everton should have gone for him tey tey.
I can see him at Spurs, Man United won't be bold enough to make that move.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

cchinukw wrote:[/video]
I feel these guys don't understand Pep to begin with.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Very talented coach. I believe he will get his shot at a big club soon, and he will take it.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:The king of helter skelter....

Yep. Right on cue as expected. There's no England manager coaching that can ever be good enough in your books. No surprises. :rotf:

Given very limited resources (12k capacity stadium and all) and in relation to the type of football they play (more continental than british), pound for pound, Eddie Howe is one of the best managers in England.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

This is basic for a professional coach.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:

Yep. Right on cue as expected. There's no England manager coaching that can ever be good enough in your books. No surprises. :rotf:

Given very limited resources (12k capacity stadium and all) and in relation to the type of football they play (more continental than british), pound for pound, Eddie Howe is one of the best managers in England.
You like to waste energy. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You know see as everybody just ignore the guys nonsense?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:

The English are generally daft about the game, although they make the most noise! It used to be that Nigerians could see thru the hype...Now they swallow the marketing blitz voraciously!

Watching Eddie Howe's teams is like watching bunny rabbits in a park in the spring!

He may be the best pound for pound English manager, but that doesn't say much.

And if you want to relate limited resources to quality of football, then you are even further off the point it bothers on ridiculous.

Ever heard of Getafe and Jose Bordalas? Ever heard of their campaign (tongue in cheek) for sperm donations as a way to increase their fan base?

perhaps Grenada under Setien; or more currently under Martinez?

What about Sassoulo?

Pls don't talk about limited resources in reference to an English team....

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

The English are generally daft about the game, although they make the most noise! It used to be that Nigerians could see thru the hype...Now they swallow the marketing blitz voraciously!

Watching Eddie Howe's teams is like watching bunny rabbits in a park in the spring!

And if you want to relate limited resources to quality of football, then you are even further off the point it bothers on ridiculous.

Ever heard of Getafe and Jose Bordalas? Ever heard of their campaign (tongue in cheek) for sperm donations as a way to increase their fan base?

What about Sassoulo?

You're very prejudice to begin with so getting any unbiased comment from you is like expecting The spiritual leader of Iran to invite Netanyahu for a groupie.

Howe has done very well with the resources he's got. He doesn't have to play like Barcelona before you admit he's been effective. The resource he has might be incapable of Barcelonaesque type of football but for once give credit. Your too know is so damn annoying :curse:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

You're very prejudice to begin with so getting any unbiased comment from you is like expecting The spiritual leader of Iran to invite Netanyahu for a groupie.

Howe has done very well with the resources he's got. He doesn't have to play like Barcelona before you admit he's been effective. The resource he has might be incapable of Barcelonaesque type of football but for once give credit. Your too know is so damn annoying :curse:
An not everyone needs to or EVEN WANT TO play like Barcelona. Its ridiculous to even assume that the whole world enjoys watching barcelona or wants to play like Barca. I have met multiple people who actually find the former Barca very boring. They prefer counter-attacking explosive football. One of them actually is in love with Valdede's Barca but couldnt stand Pep's Barca.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

You can at least try and comprehend the point being made, rather than typically act like a stupid, dirty spudite!

Who talked about Barcelona? You!

The teams I cited are not exactly Barcelonaesque (except perhaps for Setien)...Nobody who wasn't daft would accuse Getafe of such "heresy"....

I'm talking about organization or lack thereof. Having a bunch pf players running helter skelter is not and cannot be a model I would admire.

And lets just get off this crap about the resources Eddie Howe has. You should compare it to what the likes of Getafe, Grenada, Eibar or Leganes has, and then compare the quality of their products...

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

You can at least try and comprehend the point being made, rather than typically act like a stupid, dirty spudite!

The teams I cited are not exactly Barcelonaesque (except perhaps for Setien)...Nobody who wasn't daft would accuse Getafe of such "heresy"....

I'm talking about organization or lack thereof. Having a bunch pf players running helter skelter is not and cannot be a model I would admire.

And lets just get off this crap about the resources Eddie Howe has. You should compare it to what the likes of Getafe, Grenada, Eibar or Leganes has, and then compare the quality of their products...
Sorry but what do you mean helter skelter? You make it seem there is no pattern to his play. Seriously?

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

Typical, always resorting to insult when challenged. Why don't you get off from behind your keyboard and go manage a team we can put your expertise into practice?
Fact is you don't think much of English managers, most of us don't so nothing new there. But you fail to acknowledge that your disdain for English manager is clouding your judgement of someone doing a good job in a challenging league.
When he goes to Spain then judge him accordingly. In the meantime stop being a tool. You don't know it all mate.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cchinukw wrote:
txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

Sorry but what do you mean helter skelter? You make it seem there is no pattern to his play. Seriously?
Helter skelter is a pattern.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:

What about Sassoulo?

Typical, always resorting to insult when challenged. Why don't you get off from behind your keyboard and go manage a team we can put your expertise into practice?
Fact is you don't think much of English managers, most of us don't so nothing new there. But you fail to acknowledge that your disdain for English manager is clouding your judgement of someone doing a good job in a challenging league.
When he goes to Spain then judge him accordingly. In the meantime stop being a tool. You don't know it all mate.

Typicall of you to insult me first and then complain when I respond in kind...

Compared to other managers with even less resources, he is actually not standing out by any serious objective measure.