2020/2021 Spurs Season: PL - 7th; EL - R16; FAC - R5; CC- RU

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2020/2021 Spurs Season: [PL] NEW v TOT [WK 30]

Post by toyin133 »

Cristao II wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Cristao II wrote:Chance at top 4 and certain players don't turn up. Really looking forward to the summer window. Unfortunately there is only so much changes one can make.
The one thing I will say about you is that you are loyal.
You are a Mourinho man through and through and nothing can ever be his fault.
Don't get the need to claim sides or being divisive.
But you are happy to blame the players when the team loses and praise Mourinho when the team wins?
Dear Lord, someone is a happy bunny today. When players make individual errors in a non pressure situation to cost the team, hell yeah it is their fault. I didn't watch today's game but even before the match I already knew that Spurs had a high probability of not winning. Why? Spurs players. This set lacks the mental strength. They talk and can't back it up. From Pochettino and now Mourinho. I repeat if Spurs can't win one single trophy with Jose, then who can they win it with? Pep? Klopp? Rodgers? LOL!! Give Jose better eggs then I can judge the quality and technique in making an omelette.
When different players who had previously played well under a different manager keep making individual errors under another manager, a sensible person will point the finger at the new manager.

This is not FIFA 2021, the fact that Mourinho achieved success 5 years ago using a particular system does not mean that the style is still relevant today. Heck it does not even mean that Mourinho still retains the same attributes that made him such a good manager back then. For a start, he had a backroom staff that comprised of people like AVB, Rui Faria, Karanka et al who have obviously moved on and the succes he achieved then was theirs as much as his. Interestingly, there is actually an article by Jonathan Wilson in the guardian today which talks about how "fear has become the Mourinho's defining principle"
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... tle-charge
Read it and you might learn something. If Mourinho has remained such a serial winner, Real, Chelsea and Man utd would not have fired him.

Lastly and we have talked about this before, Mourinho has a nasty habit of alienating the dressing room. He did it at Madrid, was sacked for it at Chelsea (palpable discord statement by Emanolo) and most of the players he alienated at Man Utd are suddenly playing well under a new manager. Practically every Spurs supporter I know believed that the Mourinho appointment would end in tears but the hope was that he might win one or two trophies for Spurs before the inevitable meltdown bit he seems to have skipped the winning trophies part to simply having the meltdown
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2020/2021 Spurs Season: [PL] NEW v TOT [WK 30]

Post by toyin133 »

Cristao II wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
benteke wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
benteke wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Cristao II wrote:Chance at top 4 and certain players don't turn up. Really looking forward to the summer window. Unfortunately there is only so much changes one can make.
The one thing I will say about you is that you are loyal.
You are a Mourinho man through and through and nothing can ever be his fault.
In what way can Jose coach those players to stop wasting chances and put the game to bed before giving the other team hope
The same way Pochettino did it
Don't forget when he got fired the players where doing the exact same stuff and Spurs was almost in relegation zone.
What does that have to do with the fact that he was able to do it for some time? Mourinho has never done it.
Spurs got to the League Cup final by doing nothing right? It must hurt Jose naysayers that he qualified for that final. Jose still has another season at Spurs by God's grace. Buckle up.

PS it is Nigeria - All Blacks - Spurs in that order. I am a Spurs fan before a Jose fan.
Mate, Poch got Spurs to the League Cup final, do you think Daniel Levy built a £1 billion stadium to parade the League Cup ?
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2020/2021 Spurs Season: [PL] TOT v MAN [WK 31]

Post by Its a Goal »

Toyin133, I rarely disagree with you but on this one you can't fault Jose much. Individual errors is what is contributing to the poor run of form not the tactics. Player attitude is what makes the team drop points from winning position not the manager's instructions. Unless these players change their mentality for one of a warrior Spurs will continue falter no matter who is appointed next after Mourinho is sacked. These were the exact problems Poch had and got him fired, the only difference is that Poch was more like a father figure to all the players while Jose acts the boss and doesn't care much about their feelings.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Its a Goal wrote:Toyin133, I rarely disagree with you but on this one you can't fault Jose much. Individual errors is what is contributing to the poor run of form not the tactics. Player attitude is what makes the team drop points from winning position not the manager's instructions. Unless these players change their mentality for one of a warrior Spurs will continue falter no matter who is appointed next after Mourinho is sacked. These were the exact problems Poch had and got him fired, the only difference is that Poch was more like a father figure to all the players while Jose acts the boss and doesn't care much about their feelings.
IAG, we have to agree to disagree. My contention is that the team is playing below it's capabilities because Mourinho has created a dysfunctional organisation. The team is riddled with doubt, suspicion and a lack of confidence because of Mourinho's management style which has caused problems in his most recent clubs.
I do not absolve the players completely but you only have to look at Man utd to see how players like Luke Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, Rashford and others improved after his departure. The players you are currently criticising will improve with Mourinho's departure and a new coach can decide on which ones to release from the club. The sooner that process starts the better for Spurs.
There is also a narrative that these same players failed Poch which in my view is completely false. The team faltered because Levy refused to invest in the team for almost 18 months and Levy did not give the players he bought in the summer a chance to be integrated into the team.
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Sanchez dropped from the team completely while Dier comes in to partner Rodon. Interestingly Aurier is back to man the RB while Toby is on the bench.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

It looks like another 4-2-1-2-1 lineup. I don't recall that back 4 ever playing as a unit before so it will be interesting to see how they hold up especially with Dier on the left side of the central as he struggles a lot there. I believe the lineup will be:

Kane
Son * Moura
Lo Celso
Hójbjerg * Ndombele
Reguilon * Dier * Rodon * Aurier
Lloris

Wishing the team all the best.

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Which Aurier will show up today? :D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Did anyone have a good link please

Hesgoal keeps lagging
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Moura should have hit that first time
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

No red for Pogba for the elbow into Aurier's face
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Interesting that Dier is playing at right CB instead of the left as he has customarily done under Mourinho
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

McTominay booked for crude challenge on Ndombele
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I feel dizzy watching Rodon on the left side and Dier on the right. I have never seen either play in that side of defense so starting out in the combo is a bit concerning.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Its a Goal wrote:I feel dizzy watching Rodon on the left side and Dier on the right. I have never seen either play in that side of defense so starting out in the combo is a bit concerning.
Dier is actually a right sided CB who has been playing on the left because Spurs don't have anyone else to play there
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Cavani scores
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Spurs protesting a foul on Son
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Ref checking monitor
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Son fouled and lead to a goal. Should be overruled.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

No goal for foul on son by McTominay
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Goal overturrned and lucky he didn't get a 2nd yellow.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Nice one Sonny
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

toyin133 wrote:Nice one Sonny
Let's have another one
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Kane, Moura, Son goal