Arrivedeci Paolo Rossi - RIP

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Arrivedeci Paolo Rossi - RIP

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:RIP Paulo Rossi.

Kai. I remember 1982 WC very well like it was yesterday. I was rooting heavily very heavily for Brazil (then later France). Brazil was loaded and on fire destroying teams left and right culminating with the 3-1 flogging of Argentina (Diego red card) in the second round. Meanwhile, Italy barely squeezed through to the second round with 3 draws. They were grouped with Brazil and Argentina. After Brazil destroyed Argentina, I expected Italy to come and collect their own.... but Dino Zoff (gk) no gree and Rossi (RIP) woke up and banged in a hattrick. Italy won 3-2 and eliminated Brazil. Rossi proceeded to score in all the subsequent games en route to lifting the world cup and golden boot. But for me, notwithstanding many top players, the MVP of the 1982 world cup was Dino Zoff. However, the 1982 will always be remembered for Paulo Rossi's goals. Those were the days sha. RIP Rossi.
An incredible WC it was.

At first, I hated Italy with a passion for this game. A friend, was never sure if it was in spite, gave me a gift of the VHS tape of the game, and while at first I refuse to watch it, I eventually did. Proceeded to watch it more than 100 times!!!!

One of the greatest WC games ever, with the abiding image of Enzo Bearzot seemingly chanting on a rosary.

From watching it over and over and over again, I came to love and respect Italy, and esp that man Marco Tardelli...A truly great Italian team.

Adieu Paolo Rossi; a master predator if there ever was one...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp