Patrick Vieira @Crystal Palace: WK 38 - Big Pat takes CP to 12th to end season CP 1 - MU 0 (W11 D15 L12, 48pts)

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Patrick Vieira @Crystal Palace: WK 38 - Big Pat takes CP to 12th to end season CP 1 - MU 0 (W11 D15 L12, 48pts)

Post by Scipio Africanus »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ce-manager

Patrick Vieira relishing ‘new chapter’ as Crystal Palace manager

Former Arsenal captain signs three-year deal at Selhurst Park

Patrick Vieira has said that Crystal Palace’s “ambition and plans for the future” convinced him to become Roy Hodgson’s successor, after the appointment of the former Arsenal captain on a three-year deal was confirmed on Sunday.

Vieira – who has been out of work since being sacked in December by Nice - was originally interviewed in April after expressing his interest in replacing Hodgson at Selhurst Park, only to be overlooked initially.

Yet after the breakdown of talks with Nuno Espírito Santo because of concerns over his demands and then the withdrawal of Lucien Favre following a last-minute change of mind, the Palace co-chairman, Steve Parish, and the sporting director, Dougie Freedman, returned to the man who captained Arsenal during their “Invincibles” season in 2003-04 and won 107 caps for France during an illustrious playing career.

“It’s a project that is really appealing to me, having spoken a lot with the chairman and sporting director about their ambition and plans for the whole club including the academy,” Vieira said.

“The club has fantastic foundations in place after many years in the Premier League, and I hope we can make further improvements and continue to drive the club forward. I’m also very excited to experience the atmosphere the club’s supporters make at Selhurst Park and away from home too, and I know just how important that can be for the team.”

Having begun his coaching career at Manchester City after retiring in 2011, Vieira spent four years managing City’s elite development squad before taking his first senior post at the MLS side New York City in 2016. While Favre – who left Borussia Dortmund in December having also previously managed Nice – would have represented a more experienced option than the 45-year-old Vieira, with pre-season training due to start on Monday and with several first-team players now out of contract, Parish acknowledged Vieira has no time to waste.

“I’m delighted and excited that Patrick has agreed to join Crystal Palace as our manager following successfully learning his trade at the City Group, and experiencing positive managerial spells at New York City and then Nice, who he led to the Europa League,” he said.

“We have a lot to do to prepare in the coming weeks and I look forward to working closely with Patrick and Dougie in bringing in some new faces to help us all to a successful season.”
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Sun May 22, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 79 times in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Patrick Vieira is new coach of Crystal Palace

Post by Coach »

Losing/lost about half the squad. Huge rebuild needed. Good luck to Skipper.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Wilfred Zaha stays!!!! :???: :???:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

I hope he lasts one full season at least
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

All I hope for is that he keeps them in the top half of the table. Top 4 would be fantastic.

Wha choo looking at?!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:42 pm All I hope for is that he keeps them in the top half of the table. Top 4 would be fantastic.
He will be lucky not to be in a relegation dogfight.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Rooting for the guy. Mendy is paving the way for black goalies in the EPL, I heard Arsenal wants to sign Onana from Ajax.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 am Rooting for the guy. Mendy is paving the way for black goalies in the EPL, I heard Arsenal wants to sign Onana from Ajax.
We are truly in the end of times.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Ramsdale.

As for Skipper, Palace are destined for a dogfight, anything other than that will be an achievement.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Taking the knee is working

One step at a time
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

benteke wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:39 am Taking the knee is working

One step at a time
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

This is one appointment I don't like at all. Looks like they are looking for a scapegoat having mismanaged the recruitment of replacement for Hogdson and the messy transfer situation in club. There is enough mess in that place right now to pull the club down...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:15 pm This is one appointment I don't like at all. Looks like they are looking for a scapegoat having mismanaged the recruitment of replacement for Hogdson and the messy transfer situation in club. There is enough mess in that place right now to pull the club down...
The more reason he should be respected for accepting the challenge.
One foot in the door….
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I always root for a brother to do well, all the best to Patrick
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Hmmm WHile I have not watched any of their pre-season games in full, I have seen all/most highlights and I am excited to follow Pat's team this season.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Good thing about Vieira is any of them tried to be cocky then he can correct it real quick :D
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

They open vs Chelsea
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 pm Hmmm WHile I have not watched any of their pre-season games in full, I have seen all/most highlights and I am excited to follow Pat's team this season.
The last black coach in EPL with a respectable record was also French, he coached Fulham: guess who?
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Does he have black hair?
Does he have a moustache?
Is he wearing glasses?
Is it Basil Boli?
#guesswho. #nostalgia
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

furiously frank wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 pm Hmmm WHile I have not watched any of their pre-season games in full, I have seen all/most highlights and I am excited to follow Pat's team this season.
The last black coach in EPL with a respectable record was also French, he coached Fulham: guess who?
The great Jean Tigana! He even owns his own vineyard, and occasionally hands out beautifully packaged wines from there as a gift. Typical Frenchie :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

furiously frank wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 pm
Tigana was a better coach.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Two games into the season is not enough to assess any coach.
Something like a third of the games in the season should make the worth of the coach clearer,
and whether he/she needs better players to work with.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

joao wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:07 pm Two games into the season is not enough to assess any coach.
Something like a third of the games in the season should make the worth of the coach clearer,
and whether he/she needs better players to work with.
he ha shad three already and lost all 3 but he will come good.

Lost two epl and one efl today to watford.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates