World Cup Every 2yrs: Yes or No...

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
World Cup Every 2yrs: Yes or No...

Post by txj »

FIFA wants the teams to only play in October

It is clear to FIFA that football has and must change urgently. The highest body of world football has gathered in Doha during these days former players and former coaches to study how to make more sense of the calendar . Arsene Wenger has explained the decisions taken, which would come into force from 2028 (some in 2024) and which would have as a major novelty the elimination of the national team stoppages to group these matches in the month of October .

"All the actors are concerned about the quantity and quality of the matches . We start from making fewer trips and less climatic changes. The way to combine the matches of national teams and teams is not the most appropriate. We have to reduce matches, but they have They have to be much more interesting. The fans want more important matches. They demand it. We have to reduce the differences between the confederations and give the same opportunities . "

The revolution would come with the change of formats. "The current calendar is out of date. In September there is already a first stop, in October the second, in November the third and in March the fourth window. In June the last window and in July the new season begins. All this is too much It's about regrouping the qualifying rounds to avoid travel. August and September would be for club football and October for the qualifying rounds . From November until the end of the season again for club football, " Wenger said . Logically, the summers would remain for the final phases such as the World Cup, Eurocup, America's Cup , etc.

"Everything has to be reorganized. The benefits would be for everyone, starting with the clubs. There would be no stoppages, " Wenger said at a press conference where he was also asked about the Club World Cup: "COVID has changed the situation. We have decided to reorganize. the international match calendar. When that is decided, we will go back to the Club World Cup and see if it needs changes. "

World Cup every two years

Wenger explained when it will be possible to show how a World Cup can be played every two years: "146 federations have asked to change the World Cup to two years and in December we will see it. The response from all the actors has been very positive, including footballers. active. On December 19 it will be known, if the federations approve it. There are many federations that have not played a World Cup yet. The national stops are the worst for the teams and I say this because I have been a club coach for a long time ".

146 federations have asked to change the World Cup to two years and we will see it in December "

Arsene wenger:
The question is to know if more or less matches of the current ones will be played. "How many games should a footballer play? There is no ideal figure. The physical potential of each one is different. Footballers want to play important games. Travel and weather changes are more detrimental than the number of games. With the schedule that we propose that fewer games would be played. " The world soccer calendar is closed until 2024, but the changes could become effective from then on. The World Cup every two years could come from 2028.

Ronaldo approves

Ronaldo Nazario has been one of the former players chosen by FIFA to study the possible changes. "I am very optimistic about the changes. The World Cup will continue to be the most prestigious on the planet. The current calendar was established a hundred years ago and that is a lot. The world has changed. We must improve the quality and the spectacle, but also the rest that with the current calendar hardly exists. Only one window for tournaments and qualifying phases, it would be better for everyone. It will improve the quality of football. Motivation playing the qualifying phases in a month, will be higher, it will mean that everyone is they will drink with more enthusiasm and they will have more attention. The Champions is played every year and does not lose interest ".

"If you ask Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo they will say that they do want to have more chances to win the World Cup"

Ronaldo He insisted: "We all agree with the proposed calendar. Every two years is a wonderful idea. If you ask Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo they will say that they do want to have more chances to win the World Cup. It is the natural evolution of football and life. You have to follow the evolution of the world of football. Four years is a long time. Too long. With the change, many more people will be able to enjoy a World Cup. The experience of playing a World Cup is one of the best of my life. Children are constantly looking for new experiences. Everyone has to speak and seek solutions for the football industry to improve the quality of the entertainment and if this is the case, the football industry will grow and the youngest can be financed. Clubs, confederations ... The message is very positive.The changes are so that the players have more rest and the fans can enjoy more and better football. "

https://www.marca.com/futbol/2021/09/09 ... b459e.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: World Cup Every 2yrs: Yes or No...

Post by The YeyeMan »

Hard no.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Every 2 years? Hayell no! Every 3 years? Hm, maybe.

Wha choo looking at?!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Not a fan of this proposal. Too much football already.
How is this going to affect continental competitions like AFCON?
It seems greed of the powerful footballing nations at work.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

These efforts seem to be gaining urgency as Messi and Ronaldo age. Na by force for Messi or Ronaldo to win WC? Haba! :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

No
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i approve . AFCONis every two years.. i see nothing wrong with this ... 4 years is so 1934, we are in 2021
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Noooo
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:42 pm Every 2 years? Hayell no! Every 3 years? Hm, maybe.
:agree:
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

pajimoh wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 pm Not a fan of this proposal. Too much football already.
How is this going to affect continental competitions like AFCON?
It seems greed of the powerful footballing nations at work.
UEFA is very against it.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:28 am i approve . AFCONis every two years.. i see nothing wrong with this ... 4 years is so 1934, we are in 2021
How do you fit in WC, COPA, AFCON, EUROPA qualifications etc. into every 2 years with all the FIFA and UEFA competitions? and FIFA isn't likely to share the every 2 year loot with them and also the impact on the women and underage competitions?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Ipe Grams wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:24 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:28 am i approve . AFCONis every two years.. i see nothing wrong with this ... 4 years is so 1934, we are in 2021
How do you fit in WC, COPA, AFCON, EUROPA qualifications etc. into every 2 years with all the FIFA and UEFA competitions? and FIFA isn't likely to share the every 2 year loot with them and also the impact on the women and underage competitions?
Afcon used to be on the same year as the worldcup. The euros and copa were all this year and the world cup is next year. How did caf do it. Fifa should get the blue print from them....by the way caf now has 9 teams going to the worldcup in 2026. We can go back to using Afcon qualifiers as world cup qualifications. Aren't uefa using their nation leagues as playoff spots for qatar 2022
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/58516447

Former Nigeria captain and coach Sunday Oliseh has said that current players and coaches must be involved in any discussion about having a World Cup every two years.

Football's governing body Fifa is currently exploring the idea of holding the sport's global showpiece every two years, instead of four.

Ex-Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, in his position as Fifa's chief of football development, has been speaking to scores of prominent former players in Doha this week about the proposal.

What is Wenger's biennial World Cup plan all about?
While former stars such as Ronaldo of Brazil and Denmark's Peter Schmeichel have given their backing, Oliseh insists that current players and coaches need to be part of the process.

"I don't think we should be consulting mostly ex-players - we should be consulting the players now," he told BBC World Service's World Football programme.

"The Mbappes, the Benzemas, you have to ask all those ones and they have to give their opinion. They are the actors now.

"To say 'I played three World Cups' would be great for some players, but let's not forget that the actual employer of players are the clubs. No matter what happens with the national team, they are the ones who pay the wages.

"They are the ones giving the players the financial, psychological and health capability to be at their best to participate in major tournaments for their countries.

"So now we are having this discussion, shouldn't the club owners be consulted? Shouldn't the club managers be consulted?"

'My opinions are to go against Arsene'

Arsene Wenger
Arsene Wenger stepped away from football management in 2018, and became Fifa's chief of global football development
While Wenger says he is "100% convinced" his plan for a new international match calendar based on a World Cup every two years is the best way forward for football, Oliseh is not so sure.

The former Arsenal boss has a number of ideas, including:

A biennial World Cup in even years.
Confederation tournaments (including the European Championship) in odd years.
Either one (October) or two (October and March) mid-season international breaks, for a month in total, when qualifying for major tournaments will take place. Groups of four countries are envisaged, with a play-off, for a maximum of seven matches.
Guaranteed rest periods for players once tournaments are over.
"I really respect Arsene and I like him a lot but my opinions are to go against Arsene," added Oliseh, who won over 50 caps for Nigeria (1993-2002) before leading the team as coach (2015-6).

"I am just looking at the principal itself and what it could bring to the game. As someone who loves watching quality football, I think overloading it does not make it better.

"The players will need rest. You are best after you have taken your rest."

Uefa rejects idea of biennial World Cup
Oliseh also has concerns about how the changes would affect the prestige of the World Cup, which many believe is perpetuated by its relative rarity.

"Personally as a player, it would be interesting to say 'OK, in a six-year period, I could play three World Cups'," he said.

"But what actually makes the World Cup exceptional is the build-up to the event - the four-year wait and the fact that sometimes it's a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for certain players."

Despite his reservations and those of others, Oliseh admits he can understand the support of the Confederation of African Football for the proposal.

"I can see why African football is happy with it because it goes with the Africa Cup of Nations which, every two years, helps us to sell ourselves," he pointed out.

"We need it. We need funds coming in like the ones these major tournaments bring in - we need it from that point of view."

It is currently unclear how Africa's national teams can play qualifiers for two separate competitions - the World Cup and Nations Cup - every two years.

Fifa expects a decision to be made on a biennial World Cup later this year.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

who cares.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Same motivation as the super League
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Wenger always in.the thick of introducing nonsense to football. Always with some wacky proposals. It is all about money.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Hell no!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

As my people say when they refuse with unwavering finality, "Wa!" meaning, hell no.
Last edited by ohsee on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Like the idea of an October window for international games.

Would like to see them explore the extension of this to the continental championships: One summer for all continental championships
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...fifa's money is running dry. The organization thinks like the NFA, a quick fix way to ingest revenue :(
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Same motivation as the super league
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Molue Conductor wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:26 pm Same motivation as the super league
Hypocrisy from FIFA as expected. What ever happened to traditions, history and the best interest of the sport arguments they used to summarily bury the super league.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Those saying 'no!'.....abeg, why not?
Any particular reason?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "