AFCON: Ethiopia vs Cape Verde

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: Ethiopia vs Cape Verde

Post by Odas »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:18 pm This tournament have been a snoozefest so far.
Hold your FIRE, bro. It's just two games into the tournament
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:45 pm
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 pm For those who watched Cameroon/Burkina Faso game, how this game compared to that of Cameroon/BF?
It was better. However, i notice that the pitch is more chopped up, perhaps that is affecting the quality
After the first game they should have sent people to manage the grass.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

That the Eagles struggled with this prepubescent appearing Cape Verdean team is a sad reflection of how far we appear to have fallen.

Anyway Eguaveon has the opportunity to either confirm that the current class are a collection of overhyped/average impostors wearing the GWG for which we owe Mr Rohr an apology or that perhaps as many of us suspect Mr Rohr was truly the one clueless individual.

Any team can have a bad day but truly is this the same Cape Verde team we struggled against on 2 occasions ?
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:39 pm That the Eagles struggled with this prepubescent appearing Cape Verdean team is a sad reflection of how far we appear to have fallen.

Anyway Eguaveon has the opportunity to either confirm that the current class are a collection of overhyped/average impostors wearing the GWG for which we owe Mr Rohr an apology or that perhaps as many of us suspect Mr Rohr was truly the one clueless individual.

Any team can have a bad day but truly is this the same Cape Verde team we struggled against on 2 occasions ?
It's a weird one cause we completely dominated both encounters as we should, yet CV looked by some distance the more composed and balanced side... The Rohr era is over, abeg let's just move on and enjoy the tournament.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 pm For those who watched Cameroon/Burkina Faso game, how this game compared to that of Cameroon/BF?

If you are talking about the pitch, it was certainly better, but if its the football, its like night and day.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 pm Cameroon and Burkinafaso have nothing to fear
With Burkina Faso's lack of composure in defence they might have a issues with Cape Verde
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:39 pm That the Eagles struggled with this prepubescent appearing Cape Verdean team is a sad reflection of how far we appear to have fallen.

What really makes you think you'll can just walk over every team in Africa? You think they got to that point by mistake? Smfh.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

bamenda boy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:05 pm

What really makes you think you'll can just walk over every team in Africa? You think they got to that point by mistake? Smfh.
And what exactly in my comment indicated that we could 'walk over them' ? On the contrary, I indicated how poor or poorly coached we appear to have become. For the record, Cape Verde is a poor team.You don't need me to confirm what most Nigerian fans have pointed out as how poor Nigeria has been in the past few years.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Cape Verde is a poor team.You don't need me to confirm what most Nigerian fans have pointed out as how poor Nigeria has been in the past few years
Means most Nigerian fans don't understand football. Don't think Iceland in Euro 2016 in France rings any bells.
One think that hasn't really changed after being away from here for over 15 years is that sense of Self Entitlement.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:40 am
Cape Verde is a poor team.You don't need me to confirm what most Nigerian fans have pointed out as how poor Nigeria has been in the past few years
Means most Nigerian fans don't understand football. Don't think Iceland in Euro 2016 in France rings any bells.
One think that hasn't really changed after being away from here for over 15 years is that sense of Self Entitlement.
Goodness....how does pointing out that Cape Verde and Nigeria as poor teams equate to a 'self entitlement'. Surely a Nigerian pointing out in his opinion that his (team) is poor or poorly coached does not equate to being self entitled.

Surely pointing out that a Nigerian team is sub-optimal in performance and that Cape Verde is similarly a poor team is not mutually exclusive.

Surely consistently watching a Nigerian team for example that has an Ekong almost always one move away from calamity or players that can't seem to do the most basic stuff like string passes or wide men like Moses Simon failing to put in half decent crosses consistently.

For many Nigerian fans that allegedly do not 'understand' football, it seems rather circumspect that the constant criticism of immediate past coach's penchant for very late substitution or conservative football - was one of the major downfalls at the last World Cup.

I am very doubtful, any Nigerian fan is so entitled as to claim we are the team we were in the past or that we are at this time anywhere near the level of an Algeria or indeed Senegal who are the current elites of African football.

Manyrecognize we have dropped down the pecking order and now struggle to beat the likes of Surreal Leone, Liberia, Cape Verde and Madagascar despite on 'paper' having higher profile players but our performance in the past 3 or so years has been embarrassingly shambolic.

Recognizing how rubbish we are and aspiring to do better does not in my book equate to a sense of self entitlement.

There is no shame in losing a game. It is football, you can't win all the time. We have lost in the past to 'lesser profile' teams that were certainly better than us. Senegal in 2002 comes to mind. They gave a very good Nigerian team a run for their money just 2 years before in Lagos at the Quarter finals years before they finally put things past us in 2002. Any objective fan would point to that Senegalese team as one on the ascendancy and the Nigerian team on the decline after 2000.

Please do not put or suggest that Cape Verde is in the realm of that Senegalese side. They are not that good!

What irks many, is the manner of losing/performance lately. When you lose while either punching below your ability or the inability to do the most basic of functions right. That is what pisses most folks about the current iteration of the Eagles. The performance has been lacklustre.

There have been many games the Eagles have lost in the past, but we walked away with our head high be it the 1984, 1988, 1990 or 2000 ANC finals. In 1984 we were outclassed - we knew we had a young team compared to a fantastic and arguably in my opinion perhaps the greatest African side in terms of the 1982-84 Lions. We were outclassed by the Algerians in the opener of 1990 and lost narrowly in the finals, we knew we gave as good as we had but lost to truly superior opposition. We lost to the Ghanians in semis of 1992 and we knew it was close. It was painful but it was not embarrassing. The 1988 and 2000 ANC loses were painful because of the arguable sense of injustice but no one can say the Eagles did not give the opposition a good run for their money. We played with pride, like real men in those games and even even when we lost to Italy and Argentine at the WC 1994. It certainly was painful. But there was true and gallant effort.

We rightfully had ur behinds handed to us by the Danes in 1998 because we were arrogant and poorly prepared team. Yes our players entitled were in that competition. The warning signs had been flashing all along the Yugoslavia and Netherlands gave us warning in friendlies. The Amokachi's of the world were arrogant in saying that all they had to do was outscore the opposition leading up to the competition. We were entitled then.

The nonsense that has been served in the past few years has been abysmal. When you start looking for excuses such as state of the pitch for why we play poorly when the opposition appears to be more coherent on the same pitch, you got to ask yourself some truly hard questions. Despite the statistics of a greater winning percentage, there is a reason why many folks were/and are dissatisfied.

Of course, I will always support the Eagles whether we line up 11 Hey yous or whatever, I am a Nigerian, I can't and will not deny my blood and biased passion for my team on the day, I am a fan. I will root for my team against any and every opposition whether inferior or superior.

What I will not do is fail to point out that we have been sub-optimal.

And by the way Cape Verde is in my opinion a poor team.

The recent iteration of the Super Eagles have been poor and up until now have been a poor team.

The Eagles have the next month to prove that they are better than some of us think they are and that Mr Rohr was the factor limiting their ascendancy or they will confirm that they are a bunch of pretenders.

We will see in the next few weeks whether we can lay claim to being among the African elites or are a second tier side.

I fervently pray and hope for the former.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The Cape Verde squad has been hit by the virus and so I’d hold back on declaring them a poor team for now.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cape VErde were so trash yesterday, they struggled against 10 men Ethiopia for 80 mins
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved