AFCON: Tunisia vs Mali (first half) 0-1

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: Tunisia vs Mali (first half) 0-1

Post by txj »

charlie wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:03 pm All you guys complaining "this is bad for African football" and all are overexaggerating and you are only contributing to a narrative that existed even before the tournament start and this Zimbabwean ref did his wayo.

There has been nothing but correct non controversial officiating in this tournament so far. Little to no controversies, until this mumu blew his whistle too early. If I was to judge English football on the exploits of dodgy decisions by Mike Oliver and Howard Webb, we would be here all day.

The refs have been doing a great job so far (until this mumu). Dont let one ref and game tarnish the name of African football.

I get your larger point, but...
Besides Sikazwe has history.

This appeared to be willful incompetence, given he was corrected twice!

Then sent to VAR to review his red card...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:40 pm
Coach wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:37 pm @Tx, full-time at the 3rd time of asking after Tunisia refuse to return to the field.
Hmm, how did all that happen? Thus, what now for CAF and the minutes not played?
...seems during the water break the ref did not pause his time/clock, when game resumed he looked and blow whistles. Total strange, could be the guy had a brain fatigue. Did not even remember he did not signal extra time to the 4th official. Brain dead I'll say.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

charlie wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:03 pm All you guys complaining "this is bad for African football" and all are overexaggerating and you are only contributing to a narrative that existed even before the tournament start and this Zimbabwean ref did his wayo.

There has been nothing but correct non controversial officiating in this tournament so far. Little to no controversies, until this mumu blew his whistle too early. If I was to judge English football on the exploits of dodgy decisions by Mike Oliver and Howard Webb, we would be here all day.

The refs have been doing a great job so far (until this mumu). Dont let one ref and game tarnish the name of African football.

Stop spoiling the name of the beautiful nation OF Zimbabwe.

The ref called Janny Sikazwe comes from Zambia, Mankinka's neck of the woods
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

benteke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:56 pm

Sorry my broda. Abeg no vex.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

txj wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:26 pm

I get your larger point, but...
Besides Sikazwe has history.

This appeared to be willful incompetence, given he was corrected twice!

Then sent to VAR to review his red card...
Or,...he had diarrhea. That is my theory and I am sticking by it.
When you've got to go,....
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

charlie wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:16 pm
benteke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:56 pm

Sorry my broda. Abeg no vex.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Kai, I like this response. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

galoise wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm
Cito wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm That ref need to be tested for drugs.

News is VAR told him to change his stance and he insisted on the red. Calling the game before time was just another ‘mad’ moment.

And I agree with poster above, this is a ref issue and not a pattern going by other refs we have seen so far.
First off, VAR can not tell a ref to change their decision. They can recommend that the ref. review. VAR is not a ref - its sole purpose is to support the ref’s decisions. That red was harsh but not against the rule book.

His call at the 85th was to change the ball (I think it was a screw up & he tried to retract). Now he screwed up again by calling the game at 89:50, so missing 10 seconds plus at least 4 minutes of additional time.
My mistake, VAR advised and not told. That red was an obvious error and against the rule book.
That was neither a serious foul play nor was it violent. The force was minimal, he didn’t leave the ground nor lunge. So pray tell why it was according to the rule.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

galoise wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm
Cito wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm That ref need to be tested for drugs.

News is VAR told him to change his stance and he insisted on the red. Calling the game before time was just another ‘mad’ moment.

And I agree with poster above, this is a ref issue and not a pattern going by other refs we have seen so far.
First off, VAR can not tell a ref to change their decision. They can recommend that the ref. review. VAR is not a ref - its sole purpose is to support the ref’s decisions. That red was harsh but not against the rule book.

His call at the 85th was to change the ball (I think it was a screw up & he tried to retract). Now he screwed up again by calling the game at 89:50, so missing 10 seconds plus at least 4 minutes of additional time.
I agree with you on the VAR and the fact that questionable red cards do happen normally.

But the 85th minute issue is a different matter. Clearly he blew his whistle 5 mins before normal time (based on the typical 3x 'ending sound' of the whistle). And the fact that he ended the game at seconds shy of 90 suggests that he topped off injury time from the 85th min. That's a travesty.