The simple reason that AFCON games are low scoring affairs

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The simple reason that AFCON games are low scoring affairs

Post by vancity eagle »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 pm African attacking play is simply not good enough. Poor decision making in the final third, poor final balls compounded by poor technique etc.

Give most of these African "minnows" keeping the score in this AFCON down to 0-0 or 1-0 to a European power like England, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Germany or France, even Croatia and they would rack up at least 3 goals regularly.

Those consistent square balls hit with pace and accuracy from the wings behind the defense (Germany), or tightly controlled defense splitting passes combined with clinical finishing (France), or intelligent runs into space combined with clinical passing and finishing (Spain), or dead accurate delivery of set pieces and crosses (England). No African team can do any of the above consistently.

No wonder the last time an African team was in the quarters of the WC was in 2010(Ghana) and prior to that was in 2002(Senegal) and prior to that was in 1990 (Cameruin).

African teams simply have to improve in the final third!
you are SPOT on

the way Nigeria and CIV, even Senegal were spurning very good attacking breaks was simply unforgivable, and that equals three games and out on the world stage.

Cameroon kept it simple today and played for the team. I wish our boneheaded players like Simon and Ejuke can do the same.

Egypt should have lost 4-0
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:43 pm Yup! The team's are mostly rubbish tbh, the lack in the fundamentals of the game. Even the so called power houses are suspect, I don't even think the likes of Algeria. Morocco, Cameroun and Egypt can beat ukraine.
I don talk am over 8 years ago :thumb: 8-)

I'll dig the thread :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The goal scoring opportunities are there ,the problem has been poorer and poorer decision making in the 3rd quarter and in the box. Taking extra touch where a simple quick pass was needed,running into cul de sac where a simple pass back or squaring to a team mate better placed....the worst is the shooting from impossible angle or poor shooting technique.

Watched CV v BF tonite, BF should have ended the game I the first half. At half time I gave up and went to watch Arsenal v Liverpool. Nothing irks me more than that extra touch when a pass is called for....the bane of African and English players
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The analysis is mostly incorrect. The most likely reason for low- scoring games is parity, short and simple. There are no minnows in African football; not anymore; it is not easy to beat a well prepared African team❗️

Cheers.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:45 pm The analysis is mostly incorrect. The most likely reason for low- scoring games is parity, short and simple. There are no minnows in African football; not anymore; it is not easy to beat a well prepared African team❗️

Cheers.
You don't have to play against minnows to score goals. When City wallops teams like Arsenal,United ,were they playing minnows. When Germany walloped Brasil by 7 goals , was Brasil a minnow?

You don't have to play minnows to score goals,it all has to do with the capability on both sides.

Teams have been poor ,very poor. I am watching Ghana play right now,it would be a miracle if they score two goals. The only one showing any real quality upfront are the two Ayews ,the rest only God knows what they are doing
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:21 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:45 pm The analysis is mostly incorrect. The most likely reason for low- scoring games is parity, short and simple. There are no minnows in African football; not anymore; it is not easy to beat a well prepared African team❗️

Cheers.
You don't have to play against minnows to score goals. When City wallops teams like Arsenal,United ,were they playing minnows. When Germany walloped Brasil by 7 goals , was Brasil a minnow?

You don't have to play minnows to score goals,it all has to do with the capability on both sides.

Teams have been poor ,very poor. I am watching Ghana play right now,it would be a miracle if they score two goals. The only one showing any real quality upfront are the two Ayews ,the rest only God knows what they are doing

he clearly does not know what he's talking about.

Parity cannot be a reason for poor play from so many sides...wild shooting, poor design of attacking play, etc
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

all you old men complaining go and watch your oyinbo EPL etc,,,, we are enjoying out AFCON ...me i have enjoyed every single game... This is African football everyone has pace and power... if you like ajebutter ball enjoy the epl and gold cup
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 pm

Cheers.

Parity cannot be a reason for poor play from so many sides...wild shooting, poor design of attacking play, etc
… and you’d have me believe that so many different teams conspired to come to Cameroon to play poorly, all at the same time? That’s just your stubborn refusal to acknowledge that times-are-achanging in football❗️

Cheers.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 pm Have we considered that most teams have not had time to gell due to very little time for training camps and late release of players? For instance, Nigerias strikers played together for the first time in the tournament - that would not happen in the Euros or World Cup. We will see more goals from tomorrow.
Interesting point Aruako
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 am The most goals Nigeria have ever scored at a WC is 7. That was at WC 1994 when we had wingers who knew what their job was i.e. beat your marker AND supply a decent final ball. Finidi supplied the assists for all 3 goals against Bulgaria. Notice he didn't try to take crazy shots from impossible angles. If we had the kind of wingers we have had since for that game Nigeria would have probably lost 1-2 to Bulgaria.
You must be describing Ikedia there :laugh: :laugh:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:09 am

Cheers.

… and you’d have me believe that so many different teams conspired to come to Cameroon to play poorly, all at the same time? That’s just your stubborn refusal to acknowledge that times-are-achanging in football❗️

Cheers.

Football is always changing, nothing new about that.

But quality speaks for itself.

Not being able to distinguish quality from a lack of it is about individuals lacking the mental acuity to tell the difference.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cchinukw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 am
aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 pm Have we considered that most teams have not had time to gell due to very little time for training camps and late release of players? For instance, Nigerias strikers played together for the first time in the tournament - that would not happen in the Euros or World Cup. We will see more goals from tomorrow.
Interesting point Aruako

Has zero to do with time. Many of the top African teams have been together for more than 3yrs: Senegal, CAM, ALG, MOR, NGR, CIV, EGY, Burkina, Mali, etc. Even the smaller sides- CPV, Ethiopia, etc

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:45 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:09 am

Cheers.

Cheers.

Football is always changing, nothing new about that.

But quality speaks for itself.

Not being able to distinguish quality from a lack of it is about individuals lacking the mental acuity to tell the difference.
I don’t have a problem with your theory; it’s your definition of quality that’s totally off kilter. Lack of goals does not necessarily imply lack of quality. Also, the mere fact that your expectations about the performance of specific teams aren’t being met does not imply an absence of quality either. You acknowledged that football is always changing, right? Recall that at the previous AFCON, there were some monumental upsets and no notable blowouts by supposedly superior teams. That phenomenon has been a trend for some time now. So, if you’re insisting that the goal draught we’re seeing now has nothing to do with improved parity then you’re not being realistic❗️
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Sudan should have been down 4 goals by now,not because of any real defending ,rather our boys missing goals in front of gaping nets. That has been the lot of many games here.

And when we scored ,you see why the likes of Sudan will always be minnows,look at the keeper drop a clanger.

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

The goals are slowly starting to flow.
Let's be patient and enjoy the little we are getting :thumbs:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 pm African attacking play is simply not good enough. Poor decision making in the final third, poor final balls compounded by poor technique etc.

Give most of these African "minnows" keeping the score in this AFCON down to 0-0 or 1-0 to a European power like England, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Germany or France, even Croatia and they would rack up at least 3 goals regularly.

Those consistent square balls hit with pace and accuracy from the wings behind the defense (Germany), or tightly controlled defense splitting passes combined with clinical finishing (France), or intelligent runs into space combined with clinical passing and finishing (Spain), or dead accurate delivery of set pieces and crosses (England). No African team can do any of the above consistently.

No wonder the last time an African team was in the quarters of the WC was in 2010(Ghana) and prior to that was in 2002(Senegal) and prior to that was in 1990 (Cameruin).

African teams simply have to improve in the final third!
you are SPOT on

the way Nigeria and CIV, even Senegal were spurning very good attacking breaks was simply unforgivable, and that equals three games and out on the world stage.

Cameroon kept it simple today and played for the team. I wish our boneheaded players like Simon and Ejuke can do the same.

Egypt should have lost 4-0

The key issue IMO is about players committing 100% to the team game and coaches having the time to develop and enforce this.

- To ball movement, with minimal touches. And then using space and the 1/2 touch to advance the ball and rotate players into position to build overloads, rather than the dribble run, which relies almost completely on overcoming in 1v1 situations.

Moses Simon for instance is playing like Alf Ramsey from the 60s!!!

Not too many great teams around the world atm; not sure if there's any...

But the African game atm is on a very low level.

...and there's not much time before the WC.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:taunt: Tunisia slapped sense into another minnow today

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

oloye wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm :taunt: Tunisia slapped sense into another minnow today
Bros, no Minnows in African football anymore.
Even Mauritania showed some fire, before they dropped their heads after letting in the 2nd goal, then the flood gates opened.

Really dangerous calling any team a Minnow anymore.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

World Cup 2010 was also a low scoring affair if im not mistaken
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

benteke wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 pm World Cup 2010 was also a low scoring affair if im not mistaken
Maybe, but African teams, despite playing the World Cup in their home continent, were still the lowest scoring. :oops:

AFRICA

Algeria - 0 goals
Cameroon - 2 goals
Nigeria - 3 goals
South Africa - 3 goals
CIV - 4 goals
Ghana - 5 goals

Africa - 2.8 goals per team, 1 out of 6 (17%) teams went past the 1st round

Now let's look at the Asians

ASIA

South Korea - 6 goals
Japan - 4 goals
Australia - 3 goals
North Korea - 1 goal

Asia - 3.5 goals per team, 2 out of 4 (50%) teams went past the 1st round

Let's look at the North Americans

CONCACAF

United States - 5 goals
Mexico - 4 goals
Honduras - 0 goals

North America - 3 goals per team, 2 out of 3 (67%) went past the 1st round

So, in the World Cup held on our own continent, we still ended up as the lowest scoring confederation and sent the lowest number and percentage of teams past the first round.

I won't even look at the numbers for the Europeans and the South Americans, the ogas of international football. Germany alone put down their beer and sausage, sat in a plane for over 12 hours to come to our home continent, and blasted in 16 goals! 16! That's just one less than the total number of goals scored by all 6 African teams, in Africa!!! :woot: :woot:

So in summary, I leave you with this message ....

Africa, learn to attack!!!!

or continue to bring up the rear.

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Guys are really complaining,they dont see anything good about Africa.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kajifu wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:49 am Guys are really complaining,they dont see anything good about Africa.

They are really grumpy :rotf:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

charlie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm
oloye wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm :taunt: Tunisia slapped sense into another minnow today
Bros, no Minnows in African football anymore.
Even Mauritania showed some fire, before they dropped their heads after letting in the 2nd goal, then the flood gates opened.

Really dangerous calling any team a Minnow anymore.
You guys are funny, so because they are minnows they just show up to be beaten? You are a freaking meaning because you will always get beat and remain in the same area. Even minnows can go ahead to score ,but as soon as they turn up the heat they slapped back to their place . I have never seen a minnow that does not have their moment in the 90mins :lol: