AFCON: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea 0-1 (FT)

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kawawa
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea 0-1 (FT)

Post by kawawa »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm
kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 pm Well Belmadhi just experienced the biggest Afcon loss in my memory. Don’t say Naija v Madagascar. We were not defending champions, nor had 22 game unbeaten streak, no had a player the caliber of Mahrez. Belmadhi by this loss must suck balls. He should be fired!
Is he now a bad coach?
Belmadi got hired as coach of Algeria two or so years after Rohr, yet he won the 2019 Afcon on first attempt, inspired his team to play far more productive football, had an impressive unbeaten steak, inspired his team win the Arab cup through his assistant... Rohr got a head-start ahead of Belmadi yet could only boast of golden bronze and a ton of embarrassing losses to minnows on his resume... Rohr is Belmadi's biaTch any day and time, I can bet all my life savings that we would have lost this match under Rohr had we faced Algeria.
Tobi I don’t know you brother but you are just so selective with facts. Rohr was hired after Naija failed to qualify for AFCON twice. He brought us back and prior to COVID team actually played quite well. yes they regressed but I think selective sorting of facts dumbs down our intelliggence
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

mcal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:26 pm
kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 pm Well Belmadhi just experienced the biggest Afcon loss in my memory. Don’t say Naija v Madagascar. We were not defending champions, nor had 22 game unbeaten streak, no had a player the caliber of Mahrez. Belmadhi by this loss must suck balls. He should be fired!
Is he now a bad coach?
Belmadi got hired as coach of Algeria two or so years after Rohr, yet he won the 2019 Afcon on first attempt, inspired his team to play far more productive football, had an impressive unbeaten steak, inspired his team win the Arab cup through his assistant... Rohr got a head-start ahead of Belmadi yet could only boast of golden bronze and a ton of embarrassing losses to minnows on his resume... Rohr is Belmadi's biaTch any day and time, I can bet all my life savings that we would have lost this match under Rohr had we faced Algeria.
...Belmadi has a better home and safety in Algeria. Did you provide same comfort to Rohr in Nigeria, that caused him to commute work from Europe?
So that's the new excuse? :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm
hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm The same Algerian coach that people always use to abuse and castigate Rohr. :lol: :lol:

Well, we can now see that football is not mathematics.
Come on now bro, Firstly the game has not finished and the competition is not yet over for Algeria.
Secondly the Algerian coach beat Rohr head to head.
Thirdly he an AFCON championship.
Fourthly, his tea have had a great run of games with good performances and was not stinking up the place unlike Mr. Rohr's team.
Fifthly wake me up when Algeria loses to repeatedly to rubbish teams.
Sixthly, everything comes to an end.
Finally, you're correct football ain't mathematics and anyone can lose against anyone on a match day.
Game don finish now. What else do you have to say?

Algeria coach this, Algeria coach that. They couldn't beat Sierra Leone, now they have lost to Equatorial Guinea. Is he still a very good coach? Or can we now call him a poor coach just like we have called Rohr? Now we see that football is not mathematics.
Lolly the man and his team lost today. No excuses. They lost to a so called minnow. There is no denying that.
Up until their loss, they were African champions and had gone on a 35/36 game unbeaten run with very impressive performances.
The same could have been said of Rohr's team.

I have always maintained in my opinion Rohr was not a good fit for Nigeria. He was excellent at unmasking talents and building the depth of the Eagles going forward, for that I remain thankful. He was however useless at maximizing the talent at his disposal.
He lost to Central African Republic, Madagascar and threw away a very big lead at home to SL.

When the current Algerian coach does the same, he becomes unfit in my view to continue to coach the Algerians. If he fails to lead his team out of the group stage, he should be sacked.

A lot of us argued for Rohr's sacking after the WC. I also argued against the timing of his sacking the moment the powers that be decided he should stay on.

I have repeatedly pointed out that Rohr conducted the cos impressive WCQ campaign the Eagles have executed to date.

Along the line, his team stagnated and he kept repeating some of the same errors even when he was winning. That was the reason why many (at least I speak for myself) were against his continued stay.

Despite my misgivings, I would not have advocated of this dismissal on the eve of a competition bearing in mind our history in this regard. I may very well be wrong and Eguavoen's appointment may prove to be a master stroke, in which case the NFF should be congratulated for a calculated risk. We will however have to wait and see.

I am not an Algerian but if this team fails to at least reach the semis, the current coach should be sacked. That is up to the Algerians however. They have a WCQ ahead of them, they get to decide about the timing or whatever of that decision if at all they want to sack or keep the man.

No follower of football will argue that it is mathematics. Even the best team can have an off day and be beaten by an inferior opposition.

The issue is when there is a pattern of underperformance....that is all some of us have argued about Mr. Rohr.
Good points but you just skilfully avoided answering my direct question. Is Belmadi a bad coach for these two very poor results?

I also felt it was time for Rohr to go seeing how we were recently struggling to play decent football and a number of poor results against teams we would normally beat. But I never once called him a poor coach. I can't forget how his team blew away strong teams playing good football in his first 3 years on the seat. We beat Cameroon, SA and only marginally lost to Algeria at the AFCON semis. We also played reasonably well at the WC against Iceland and Argentina but didn't play very well against Croatia.

I can't help but disagree with many that a guy with a 66% winning ratio is a bad or poor coach like so many of the millennials here have been saying. Now we can see from Belmadi's experience that a few bad results here and there don't make a coach bad or poor.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:08 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 pm Is the Algerian coach a poor coach now?
Maybe he is, but it also proves why Rohr is a below average scammer, and people who justify his crimes against football don't deserve to be called Nigerian fans.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
All of a sudden?
I thought you guys held him up as the epitome of a great 'local' coach?
That wan don change now-now?

So should he now be sacked? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:34 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:08 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 pm Is the Algerian coach a poor coach now?
Maybe he is, but it also proves why Rohr is a below average scammer, and people who justify his crimes against football don't deserve to be called Nigerian fans.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
All of a sudden?
I thought you guys held him up as the epitome of a great 'local' coach?
That wan don change now-now?
Belmadi is definitely not a bad coach, far from that, the point I was making was that even in his worst coaching form, he is still far superior a manager to Rohr... and that says A LOT!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Is he now a bad coach?
...Belmadi has a better home and safety in Algeria. Did you provide same comfort to Rohr in Nigeria, that caused him to commute work from Europe?
What a daft comment from a lost being living in USA
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:28 pm
Is he now a bad coach?
So that's the new excuse? :rotf:
...that and he want players from big big clubs like you and yours stated.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:41 pm
Is he now a bad coach?
What a daft comment from a lost being living in USA
These ROHRbots are insufferable, they are just as ridiculous as the clowns that try to defend Buhari
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 pm
hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm
hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm The same Algerian coach that people always use to abuse and castigate Rohr. :lol: :lol:

Well, we can now see that football is not mathematics.
Come on now bro, Firstly the game has not finished and the competition is not yet over for Algeria.
Secondly the Algerian coach beat Rohr head to head.
Thirdly he an AFCON championship.
Fourthly, his tea have had a great run of games with good performances and was not stinking up the place unlike Mr. Rohr's team.
Fifthly wake me up when Algeria loses to repeatedly to rubbish teams.
Sixthly, everything comes to an end.
Finally, you're correct football ain't mathematics and anyone can lose against anyone on a match day.
Game don finish now. What else do you have to say?

Algeria coach this, Algeria coach that. They couldn't beat Sierra Leone, now they have lost to Equatorial Guinea. Is he still a very good coach? Or can we now call him a poor coach just like we have called Rohr? Now we see that football is not mathematics.
Lolly the man and his team lost today. No excuses. They lost to a so called minnow. There is no denying that.
Up until their loss, they were African champions and had gone on a 35/36 game unbeaten run with very impressive performances.
The same could have been said of Rohr's team.

I have always maintained in my opinion Rohr was not a good fit for Nigeria. He was excellent at unmasking talents and building the depth of the Eagles going forward, for that I remain thankful. He was however useless at maximizing the talent at his disposal.
He lost to Central African Republic, Madagascar and threw away a very big lead at home to SL.

When the current Algerian coach does the same, he becomes unfit in my view to continue to coach the Algerians. If he fails to lead his team out of the group stage, he should be sacked.

A lot of us argued for Rohr's sacking after the WC. I also argued against the timing of his sacking the moment the powers that be decided he should stay on.

I have repeatedly pointed out that Rohr conducted the cos impressive WCQ campaign the Eagles have executed to date.

Along the line, his team stagnated and he kept repeating some of the same errors even when he was winning. That was the reason why many (at least I speak for myself) were against his continued stay.

Despite my misgivings, I would not have advocated of this dismissal on the eve of a competition bearing in mind our history in this regard. I may very well be wrong and Eguavoen's appointment may prove to be a master stroke, in which case the NFF should be congratulated for a calculated risk. We will however have to wait and see.

I am not an Algerian but if this team fails to at least reach the semis, the current coach should be sacked. That is up to the Algerians however. They have a WCQ ahead of them, they get to decide about the timing or whatever of that decision if at all they want to sack or keep the man.

No follower of football will argue that it is mathematics. Even the best team can have an off day and be beaten by an inferior opposition.

The issue is when there is a pattern of underperformance....that is all some of us have argued about Mr. Rohr.
Good points but you just skilfully avoided answering my direct question. Is Belmadi a bad coach for these two very poor results?

I also felt it was time for Rohr to go seeing how we were recently struggling to play decent football and a number of poor results against teams we would normally beat. But I never once called him a poor coach. I can't forget how his team blew away strong teams playing good football in his first 3 years on the seat. We beat Cameroon, SA and only marginally lost to Algeria at the AFCON semis. We also played reasonably well at the WC against Iceland and Argentina but didn't play very well against Croatia.

I can't help but disagree with many that a guy with a 66% winning ratio is a bad or poor coach like so many of the millennials here have been saying. Now we can see from Belmadi's experience that a few bad results here and there don't make a coach bad or poor.
On the contrary, I answered your question. If Algeria fails to qualify out of their group or reach the semis, he should be sacked.

Is he a bad coach, I won't say so. All coaches end up getting sacked. It is the nature of the game. Few are able to walk away at the peak of their performance like an Aimee Jacquet or SAF for example. Low and Scolari being good examples. Locally, Keshi had the same experience. He really ought to have stuck to his guns and walked away after the WC in Brazil. Few great sportsman seem to know when to walk away.

Was Rohr a bad coach, nope, he was however in my view not a good fit for Nigeria, that is all I have maintained. I see Rohr as a Sam Alladyce type of coach, he is great for struggling teams, but put him with a team with some semblance of talent, they tend to struggle.

If there was a way of integrating Rohr into the technical set up or scouting set up of the Nigerian federation, I think he would have been great. I think he was an excellent behind the wall sort of chap but his sideline performances were in my view average. I will always be grateful as an Eagles fan for the 2018 WCQ, it remains the most competent campaign by the Eagles and I have watched a fair few over the years.

His team however stagnated and retrogressed. I am loath to ascribe someones success to just luck, we all need an element of luck in our endeavours but it has to be built on competence. Go watch our first WCQ leg in Lusaka and how the Eagles struggled in the last quarter against the Zambians and were fortunate to get away with a win. A competent coach would have done something about late substitutions with tiring players. We got found out against an Argentine team that was for the taking or at least was not at its most confident.

As per statistics, you and I are familiar with the often repeated Mark Twain quote about statistics. On the surface a 66% percent return is impressive by all and any means. At the 2 championships he took Nigeria to however, he matched our often baseline semi-final placement and he retrogressed at the WC.

The final quarter of his stay with the Eagles was one of diminishing returns in performance. I think he probably would have qualified the Eagles for Qatar, but I am uncertain about whether we would have done better than what we did in 2018, but you know what, thats the future who knows what will happen.

Great teams can and do have bad days at the office. Great teams however don't repeatedly lose games or underperform. The 2022 Algerian iteration still have the chance to prove whether they are a great team or one on the downward spiral. Until then, I will reserve my judgement.

I had my biases before Rohr was appointed. I had the benefit of 5 years to confirm those biases.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Algeria is out?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx