AFCON: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea 0-1 (FT)

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea 0-1 (FT)

Post by green4life »

kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:56 pm This is bigger than CAR beating Naija! Na me talk’am
I almost forgot about the CAR loss. Even worse than 4-0 to 4-4 home draw gem vs. SL
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: Algeria vs Equatorial Guinea 0-1

Post by fabio »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 pm
Gambia has 5 Serie A league players. That is almost half their team playing in one of the toughest leagues in Europe.

Musa Barrow – Bologna
Ebrima Colley – Spezia (on loan from Atalanta)
Omar Colley – Sampdoria
Ebrima Darboe – Roma
Lamin Jallow – Vicenza (on loan in Hungary)

...and in Serie B
Musa Juwara – Crotone
Using Rohr logic.....

Gambians don't have players in Liverpool, Manchester, Munich or Chelsea, which is the case for Senegal, Egypt, and Ivory Coast. The biggest clubs are Roma or possibly Sampdoria.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...defending champion Algeria beating by a minnow Equatorial Guinea.
Shades of 1990 Cameroon beating a defending champ Argentina.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:06 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:58 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm Gernot Rohr CAN YOU SEE NOW SEE HOW IT'S DONE YOU FRAUD?
You do realize your comparison is bogus at best?
This Algeria is not the same team physically or mentally that won it all in 2019.
Secondly, You are actually depriving EQG and their coach and players from this win by making it seem that it was all Rohrs fault.

You guys need to get over your Rohr hatred. It is super childish.
Besides football at this level is not as simple as you are making out to be.
Rubbish, I'll call Rohr out cause he is garbage! I bet if Rohr was facing this Algerian team right now we would have lost and heard the same pathetic excuses of us been a "young team" or Algeria having "more star players" blah blah blah, it's such self-defeating postulations that makes me separate winners from losers, EGQ showed us what heart, grit and tactical organization can do for a team no matter the team pedigree.
Sigh,....ok. You obviously know what would have happened automatically in an alternate reality, because you said so.

So, no point arguing with you.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

In fairness, he did say this Algerian defeat was worse, considering they are the defending champs.
Also, they had a 29 match unbeaten streak stopped be Equatorial Guinea... (of all teams!)
At least, Naija should no longer be the laughing stock at AFCON... :wink:
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 pm Una hear the commentator talk sey this is on par with Madagascar beating Nigeria, the kin insult wey certain people to turn us into na wa o lol
Last edited by Otitokoro on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

iworo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 pm
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:57 pm
airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:55 pm Algeria is bottom of the group?!! :shock: :shock:
... and I doubt they will be able to win Ivory Coast, based on they way things are going for them (Algerians).
It’s not looking good for Algeria, because Côte d'Ivoire just need a draw in that game to qualify. Nah wah oh, all these talk about Algeria doesn’t play with minnows and it’s an abomination for Naija to lose or even draw against so called minnows :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.
This loss by the Algerians is worse than any of our losses on the hands of the minnow teams. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Na wa-ooo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

charlie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:09 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm Gernot Rohr CAN YOU SEE NOW SEE HOW IT'S DONE YOU FRAUD?
This Algeria is not the same team physically or mentally that won it all in 2019.
Secondly, You are actually depriving EQG and their coach and players from this win by making it seem that it was all Rohrs fault.

Rubbish, I'll call Rohr out cause he is garbage! I bet if Rohr was facing this Algerian team right now we would have lost and heard the same pathetic excuses of us been a "young team" or Algeria having "more star players" blah blah blah, it's such self-defeating postulations that makes me separate winners from losers, EGQ showed us what heart, grit and tactical organization can do for a team no matter the team pedigree.
Sigh,....ok. You obviously know what would have happened automatically in an alternate reality, because you said so.

He actually did beat this Algerian team if we are being fair.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 pm In fairness, he did say this Algerian defeat was worse, considering they are the defending champs.
At least, Naija should no longer be the laughing stock at AFCON... :wink:
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 pm Una hear the commentator talk sey this is on par with Madagascar beating Nigeria, the kin insult wey certain people to turn us into na wa o lol
I know but that part no sweet :lol:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:12 pm

Not with Belmadhi as coach…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:08 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm
hestonap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm The same Algerian coach that people always use to abuse and castigate Rohr. :lol: :lol:

Well, we can now see that football is not mathematics.
Come on now bro, Firstly the game has not finished and the competition is not yet over for Algeria.
Secondly the Algerian coach beat Rohr head to head.
Thirdly he an AFCON championship.
Fourthly, his tea have had a great run of games with good performances and was not stinking up the place unlike Mr. Rohr's team.
Fifthly wake me up when Algeria loses to repeatedly to rubbish teams.
Sixthly, everything comes to an end.
Finally, you're correct football ain't mathematics and anyone can lose against anyone on a match day.
Game don finish now. What else do you have to say?

Algeria coach this, Algeria coach that. They couldn't beat Sierra Leone, now they have lost to Equatorial Guinea. Is he still a very good coach? Or can we now call him a poor coach just like we have called Rohr? Now we see that football is not mathematics.
I don’t get your point, you can’t take away what he achieved with this team, now based on the current state of the team he might no longer be the best option for the team and so they might move on just like we moved on from Westerhoff at one point, Keshi at another point after they stopped getting the desired result. But unlike **** he’s definitely achieved more at NT level.
But does this result and the draw with Sierra Leone make him a bad coach? Yes or No?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Cause you have no point, that's what supporting frauds like Rohr does to you, makes you reason like a loser.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:12 pm

Not this same Algerian team, different coach and almost a completely different team, Belmadi made Rohr his biatch in the 2019 Afcon.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Na wa-ooo! I am surprised about this Algeria/EG result. I never would have believed if anyone had told me on the Phone this happened. Wow!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Well Belmadhi just experienced the biggest Afcon loss in my memory. Don’t say Naija v Madagascar. We were not defending champions, nor had 22 game unbeaten streak, no had a player the caliber of Mahrez. Belmadhi by this loss must suck balls. He should be fired!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:13 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm The same Algerian coach that people always use to abuse and castigate Rohr. :lol: :lol:

Come on now bro, Firstly the game has not finished and the competition is not yet over for Algeria.
Fourthly, his tea have had a great run of games with good performances and was not stinking up the place unlike Mr. Rohr's team.
Finally, you're correct football ain't mathematics and anyone can lose against anyone on a match day.

Algeria coach this, Algeria coach that. They couldn't beat Sierra Leone, now they have lost to Equatorial Guinea. Is he still a very good coach? Or can we now call him a poor coach just like we have called Rohr? Now we see that football is not mathematics.
I don’t get your point, you can’t take away what he achieved with this team, now based on the current state of the team he might no longer be the best option for the team and so they might move on just like we moved on from Westerhoff at one point, Keshi at another point after they stopped getting the desired result. But unlike **** he’s definitely achieved more at NT level.
But does this result and the draw with Sierra Leone make him a bad coach? Yes or No?
He’s not a bad coach because he’s got two NT titles to show on his CV, but he might no longer be the best fit for Algeria. Now can the same be said of ****? Nope…

That said he still has a chance to right the ship…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 pm Well Belmadhi just experienced the biggest Afcon loss in my memory. Don’t say Naija v Madagascar. We were not defending champions, nor had 22 game unbeaten streak, no had a player the caliber of Mahrez. Belmadhi by this loss must suck balls. He should be fired!
Is he now a bad coach?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Lolly the man and his team lost today. No excuses. They lost to a so called minnow. There is no denying that.
Up until their loss, they were African champions and had gone on a 35/36 game unbeaten run with very impressive performances.
The same could have been said of Rohr's team.

I have always maintained in my opinion Rohr was not a good fit for Nigeria. He was excellent at unmasking talents and building the depth of the Eagles going forward, for that I remain thankful. He was however useless at maximizing the talent at his disposal.
He lost to Central African Republic, Madagascar and threw away a very big lead at home to SL.

When the current Algerian coach does the same, he becomes unfit in my view to continue to coach the Algerians. If he fails to lead his team out of the group stage, he should be sacked.

A lot of us argued for Rohr's sacking after the WC. I also argued against the timing of his sacking the moment the powers that be decided he should stay on.

I have repeatedly pointed out that Rohr conducted the cos impressive WCQ campaign the Eagles have executed to date.

Along the line, his team stagnated and he kept repeating some of the same errors even when he was winning. That was the reason why many (at least I speak for myself) were against his continued stay.

Despite my misgivings, I would not have advocated of this dismissal on the eve of a competition bearing in mind our history in this regard. I may very well be wrong and Eguavoen's appointment may prove to be a master stroke, in which case the NFF should be congratulated for a calculated risk. We will however have to wait and see.

I am not an Algerian but if this team fails to at least reach the semis, the current coach should be sacked. That is up to the Algerians however. They have a WCQ ahead of them, they get to decide about the timing or whatever of that decision if at all they want to sack or keep the man.

No follower of football will argue that it is mathematics. Even the best team can have an off day and be beaten by an inferior opposition.

The issue is when there is a pattern of underperformance....that is all some of us have argued about Mr. Rohr.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 pm

He’s not a bad coach because he’s got two NT titles to show on his CV, but he might no longer be the best fit for Algeria. Now can the same be said of ****? Nope…

But Rohr losing to CAR and drawing with Sierra Leone at home is a bad coach with his 66% winning ratio?

kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm
kawawa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 pm Well Belmadhi just experienced the biggest Afcon loss in my memory. Don’t say Naija v Madagascar. We were not defending champions, nor had 22 game unbeaten streak, no had a player the caliber of Mahrez. Belmadhi by this loss must suck balls. He should be fired!
Is he now a bad coach?
Frankly don’t know but lots of folks refuse to believe that anyone can win on any given day. This was was big. Rohr did. It really survive CAR should Belmadhi?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Is he now a bad coach?
Belmadi got hired as coach of Algeria two or so years after Rohr, yet he won the 2019 Afcon on first attempt, inspired his team to play far more productive football, had an impressive unbeaten steak, inspired his team win the Arab cup through his assistant... Rohr got a head-start ahead of Belmadi yet could only boast of golden bronze and a ton of embarrassing losses to minnows on his resume... Rohr is Belmadi's biaTch any day and time, I can bet all my life savings that we would have lost this match under Rohr had we faced Algeria.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Mahrez won't mind going home or to England, the heat in Cameroon is unbearable.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 pm

But Rohr losing to CAR and drawing with Sierra Leone at home is a bad coach with his 66% winning ratio?
No he’s an average coach like I’ve always said and wasn’t good enough to get us to the level that Belmahdis team got to, he stopped being a good fit a long time ago but we persisted with him for way too long.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm
Is he now a bad coach?
Belmadi got hired as coach of Algeria two or so years after Rohr, yet he won the 2019 Afcon on first attempt, inspired his team to play far more productive football, had an impressive unbeaten steak, inspired his team win the Arab cup through his assistant... Rohr got a head-start ahead of Belmadi yet could only boast of golden bronze and a ton of embarrassing losses to minnows on his resume... Rohr is Belmadi's biaTch any day and time, I can bet all my life savings that we would have lost this match under Rohr had we faced Algeria.
...Belmadi has a better home and safety in Algeria. Did you provide same comfort to Rohr in Nigeria, that caused him to commute work from Europe?