Comoros Ravaged by COVID before Cameroon Game

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Comoros Ravaged by COVID before Cameroon Game

Post by Kabalega »

Two Cameroon opponents hit with Covid positive tests before playing games against the hosts. Coincidence? :sneaky:

Word is, Tunisia is struggling to field a team against Cameroon's neighbors Nigeria. :)

Afcon 2021: Covid hits Comoros before crunch Cameroon clash
1 hour ago
Sport Africa
Salim Ben Boina
Comoros' No1 Salim Ben Boina is out with injury - and both his back-up keepers have Covid
Africa Cup of Nations giant-killers Comoros face a goalkeeping crisis before the biggest game in the country’s history on Monday.

The tournament debutants play hosts and five-time champions Cameroon in Yaounde on Monday, but their camp has been hit by 12 positive Covid cases including coach Amir Abdou.

Seven players have been affected, including the two remaining fit keepers in the squad, Moyadh Ousseini and Ali Ahamada, with first-choice Salim Ben Boina out through injury.

“We will do everything in our power to find a solution,” said general manager El Hadad Himidi.

Himidi added: “It’s the coach and the only fit goalkeepers, so the situation is really complicated.”

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) ruled before the tournament that teams affected by Covid must play matches even if they have no recognised goalkeeper in their squad.

"A team will be required to play a match if they have a minimum of 11 players available who have tested negative,” stated Caf.

“In the event of the absence of a goalkeeper, another player from the team must replace the goalkeeper, provided the total number of available players is at least 11.

"In exceptional cases, the Organizing Committee of the Africa Cup of Nations will take the appropriate decision."

Comoros will hope the injury suffered by Ben Boina could be considered an exceptional case, given the keeper had to leave the field after a red-card challenge by Ghana captain Andre Ayew in Tuesday's Group C tie.

The islanders shocked the four-time champions, winning 3-2 to eliminate the Black Stars and take them into the last 16 as one of the four best third-placed sides.

Comoros' game with Cameroon will be shown live on BBC Sport on Monday.

The absence of coach Abdou will be a major loss to the side as he is the driving force and inspiration behind their success, having engineered a wholesale overhaul in the minnows’ fortunes since taking charge in 2014.

Standing in their way of a surprise run to the quarter-finals are African heavyweights Cameroon, who have been in good form so far, with captain Vincent Aboubakar boasting five goals from the three group games.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/60097828
Last edited by Kabalega on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Comoros Ravaged by COVID before Cameroon Game

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cameroon are already in the Qfinals then
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm Cameroon are already in the Qfinals then
At this rate, they are already in the final.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Make dem check that result well jare.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Let's be honest. They had no chance any way.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

marutimon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:06 pm Let's be honest. They had no chance any way.
Fact not feelings and that is why the report no move me.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Robbynice wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:36 pm
marutimon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:06 pm Let's be honest. They had no chance any way.
Do you guys know that Comoros is a team full of experienced French born and raised players?
Apparently, a good percentage went through the Marseille academy too.
Underrate them at your peril.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Kabalega wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:36 am
Do you guys know that Comoros is a team full of experienced French born and raised players?
Baba, dem go hear wen.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

This is the 2nd time Cameroons opponent mysteriously had a covid "outbreak". They did the same to BFASO. I am starting to see a pattern here. These Cameroonians are cheats and will do anything to win at home.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

I don’t think they’ve seen Comoros play.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:11 pm This is the 2nd time Cameroons opponent mysteriously had a covid "outbreak". They did the same to BFASO. I am starting to see a pattern here. These Cameroonians are cheats and will do anything to win at home.
No, you are not starting.
When it comes to Cameroon, you see a pattern before anything even happens.
Everybody, who has been here even an hour immediately sees your strong hatred
for Cameroon. Cameroon must have touched some nerves in you that you just can't
forget.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

It would be a huge stain on the tournament if Comoros had to play without a proper GK
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:45 am It would be a huge stain on the tournament if Comoros had to play without a proper GK
I think so too. There should be exceptions especially with Covid that can be contracted even
with the most stringent care taken. Even with a real goalkeeper the host is the overwhelming
favorite to win the tie, A victory for Cameroon with a field player in goal for the small underdog
will do nothing but take away the shine in the Cameroon victory.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Comoros have arrived at the stadium with only one goalie.

The coach is at the hotel.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

I really feel bad for Comoros today. They are using an outfield player (Chaker Alhadhur) in net..
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

We beat them soundly in Nairobi. But they pulled the Covid trick out of the bag on the return leg! They barred 7 of our players. We lost to a French team.
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 pm
We beat them soundly in Nairobi. But they pulled the Covid trick out of the bag on the return leg! They barred 7 of our players. We lost to a French team.
What were the scores when you beat them solidly in Nairobi?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:23 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:11 pm This is the 2nd time Cameroons opponent mysteriously had a covid "outbreak". They did the same to BFASO. I am starting to see a pattern here. These Cameroonians are cheats and will do anything to win at home.
forget.

Oh Shut up. You people along with Egypt use your influence to cheat at the AFCON. Why wasnt Comors allowed to use their GK??? He was tested negetive for covid.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I hope they lose to gambia.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

:lol: :lol: When was this? A 1-0 in 2014? :lol: :lol:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
As of today,.....Comoros head to head record
Source: https://www.11v11.com/teams/comoros/tab ... ion/Kenya/

chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:38 am
chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:23 am
forget.

Oh Shut up. You people along with Egypt use your influence to cheat at the AFCON. Why wasnt Comors allowed to use their GK??? He was tested negetive for covid.
Have you looked up at the pre-tournament regulations regarding covid put in place by CAF ?
When Nigeria played Tunisia and Tunisia was missing a number of key players as well as their coach
I didn't hear you complain that CAF had favored Nigeria.
Regulations are regulations and become worthless when exceptions are made.
Relax, Bad belly go kill you oh.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Kabalega wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:59 am
:lol: :lol: When was this? A 1-0 in 2014? :lol: :lol:

As of today,.....Comoros head to head record
Source: https://www.11v11.com/teams/comoros/tab ... ion/Kenya/

You have just betrayed East Africa! :mad: :D
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

lol only in Cameroon. In Cameroon your COVID test could be positive, if you know someone that test will be negative before you board an international flight. Good stuff hey!?
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)