[AFCON 2021] Senegal 2 Cape Verde(red card X 2 20", 57") 0 FT

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [AFCON 2021] Senegal 1 Cape Verde(red card X 2 20", 57") 0

Post by vancity eagle »

Senegal have only scored penalties or goals against NINE men.

Piss poor.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 pm It is a pity we slipped up. This tournament is there for the taking
Yes it absolutely was.

Clear path to the final squandered. Shame on Egu.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm
airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 pm It is a pity we slipped up. This tournament is there for the taking
Yes it absolutely was.

What did you expect him to do..

Same on Pinnick
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Yes indeed. No team has shown anything that stakes a strong or even mild claim to the trophy.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [AFCON 2021] Senegal 0 Cape Verde(red card 20") 0

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:43 pm

The defending player must have made contact with the ball.
The GK did not
From this, all they need is an honest attempt to go for the ball:
The first change in the red card rule is that if an attacking player has a breakaway, the last man on defense will not receive a red card for fouling the opposing player unless it is violent or involves a handball in the penalty box. Previously, a referee would use their judgement to give a red card depending on how much the foul impacts the play. With the new rule implication, as long as the referee judges that the defender makes an honest attempt at going for the ball, they will only be penalized with a yellow card. For example, when one team has a counterattack in a one-on-one situation against the other team’s last defender, the defender will not be presented with a red card if they go for the ball but foul the opposite team’s attacking player in the process. Now, players will be more willing to foul in the event of a counterattack without fear of being ejected and forcing their team to play with one less athlete on the field.
https://thewolfpacket.org/2759/sports/f ... card-rule/
Denying a goalscoring opportunity: Red card rule relaxed by IFAB
However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

Law 12 calls for the following factors to be considered:
The following must be considered:
distance between the offence and the goal
general direction of the play
likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
location and number of defenders
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-go ... 20opponent.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 pm Senegal have only scored penalties or goals against NINE men.

Piss poor.
True, but in four games they rarely gave their opponents a sniff of their goal.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pmYes it absolutely was.

Shame on Egu for what? For not being a magician to pull together a team in only a couple weeks that will take the trophy???

You and your never-ending verbal diarrhea!!! SMH!!!
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

He went for the ball.
was the last man,
no covering defender
likelihood of keeping the ball by the opponent? CHECK
Did not get the ball
fouled the opponent
endangered him

What more do you want?

A knife stab in the heart?

metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:57 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:43 pm

The defending player must have made contact with the ball.
The GK did not
From this, all they need is an honest attempt to go for the ball:
The first change in the red card rule is that if an attacking player has a breakaway, the last man on defense will not receive a red card for fouling the opposing player unless it is violent or involves a handball in the penalty box. Previously, a referee would use their judgement to give a red card depending on how much the foul impacts the play. With the new rule implication, as long as the referee judges that the defender makes an honest attempt at going for the ball, they will only be penalized with a yellow card. For example, when one team has a counterattack in a one-on-one situation against the other team’s last defender, the defender will not be presented with a red card if they go for the ball but foul the opposite team’s attacking player in the process. Now, players will be more willing to foul in the event of a counterattack without fear of being ejected and forcing their team to play with one less athlete on the field.
https://thewolfpacket.org/2759/sports/f ... card-rule/
Denying a goalscoring opportunity: Red card rule relaxed by IFAB
However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

Law 12 calls for the following factors to be considered:
The following must be considered:
distance between the offence and the goal
general direction of the play
likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
location and number of defenders
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-go ... 20opponent.
Last edited by txj on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [AFCON 2021] Senegal 2 Cape Verde(red card X 2 20", 57") 0 FT

Post by Scipio Africanus »

If I had to pick my preferred team to win it all, it would be Senegal. The best African team never to have won AFCON. I no wan mek CIV catch up to us, and I no wan mek Egypt, Cameroon and Tunisia extend their cup cabinet.

Wha choo looking at?!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Okocha, Benjani, and the SA ex-footballer say no penalty. For me Mane was trying to knock it past the keeper, and there was a defender covering so I agree.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm
Yes it absolutely was.

What did you expect him to do..

Same on Pinnick
1. Not play an outdated system
2. Change tactics when his plan CLEARLY wasn't working
3. Make personnel changes much quicker
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:02 pm If I had to pick my preferred team to win it all, it would be Senegal. The best African team never to have won AFCON. I no wan mek CIV catch up to us, and I no wan mek Egypt, Cameroon and Tunisia extend their cup cabinet.
CIV have been far better than Senegal. I hope they win

Cisse is a horrible coach who should have been sacked a long time ago. They are going NOWHERE with him in charge.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm He went for the ball.
was the last man,
no covering defender
Did not get the ball
fouled the opponent
endangered him

What more do you want?

LOL non of the above. A foul and a yellow card seemed the appropriate punishment in light of the change last man rule. There is no requirment that there be a covering defender, or that he touch the ball. The only requirment is that there be a denial of an obvious goal scoring chance for Mane. Thats the rule.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Senegal will win the AFCON, they are boring and almost diabolically bad to watch but this is literally their golden generation and they deserve that title shot.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ps. Looking at a replay, there was a covering defender...

https://mixture.gg/v/61f0303aa2596

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 pm Senegal will win the AFCON, they are boring and almost diabolically bad to watch but this is literally their golden generation and they deserve that title shot.
I am rooting for Cameroon or CIV. At least they play good football every once in a while. Honestly, the boring Italian sides of the 80s played better football than this Senegal side.

And please, what golden generation? Their golden generation was when they had Diouf, Diop, Fadiga and Cisse.

This team has Gaye and Mane, that's it.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm Ps. Looking at a replay, there was a covering defender...

I am wondering what you guys were talking about when you said no covering defender. It actually is a diabolical decision, given it went to VAR. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Rooting for Burkina Faso the underdog for me!

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 pm Rooting for Burkina Faso the underdog for me!
coup supporter
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:17 pm
metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm Ps. Looking at a replay, there was a covering defender...

I am wondering what you guys were talking about when you said no covering defender. It actually is a diabolical decision, given it went to VAR. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: You were right. I didn't even remember seeing him there.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

King Futcha wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm
metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 pm Rooting for Burkina Faso the underdog for me!
coup supporter
Oh also supporting Equatorial Guinea too :curse:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:16 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 pm Senegal will win the AFCON, they are boring and almost diabolically bad to watch but this is literally their golden generation and they deserve that title shot.
I am rooting for Cameroon or CIV. At least they play good football every once in a while. Honestly, the boring Italian sides of the 80s played better football than this Senegal side.

And please, what golden generation? Their golden generation was when they had Diouf, Diop, Fadiga and Cisse.

This team has Gaye and Mane, that's it.
I was just watching the 2000 semi game against that Senegales team this morning. Fadiga was a hell of a baller.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm He went for the ball.
was the last man,
no covering defender
Did not get the ball
fouled the opponent
endangered him

What more do you want?

LOL non of the above. A foul and a yellow card seemed the appropriate punishment in light of the change last man rule. There is no requirment that there be a covering defender, or that he touch the ball. The only requirment is that there be a denial of an obvious goal scoring chance for Mane. Thats the rule.

Which he did had he not fouled Sadio

Add to that reckless endangerment of an opponent.

He had a red coming twice over :rotf: :rotf: