[AFCON 2021] Cote d'Ivoire 4 Egypt 5 on PKs. Egypt advances

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: [AFCON 2021] Cote d'Ivoire 4 Egypt 5 on PKs. Egypt advances

Post by Tobi17 »

green4life wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:56 pm The North African Countries are running this subsaharan AFCON so far. ... Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco.

On the flip side traditional West African power houses Nigeria, Ghana and CIV, already shipped home before the quarters. Na wa.
I see Gambia rising to the occasion for West Africa, but then they meet the host Cameroon...
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mcal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:54 pm ...Bailey is never 100% in a match at club, how they start him, kept him thru the whole match, and now to take penalty on his heavy and dead leg. Any way na big boy of premier league him be, na so dem go say.
This is harsh. Bailey was one of the best performers on the pitch today. Pks go to those who are confident of taking it under pressure and there are no guarantees.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Odas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:58 pm
green4life wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:56 pm The North African Countries are running this subsaharan AFCON so far. ... Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco.

On the flip side traditional West African power houses Nigeria, Ghana and CIV, already shipped home before the quarters. Na wa.
So it goes sometimes. Not that they are better.
Well if any of them win the tournament, it will accentuate the argument that North African teams are simply better when it comes to tournaments in Africa... that's why I'm praying Senegal get their acts together and win this tournament.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

They are generating new talent at a better rate, although same could be said for CIV to an extent.
Egypt have the stability in built in the resource that is their league and the top pro clubs like Ahl Ahly, Zamalek...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Brilliant throughout the war and absolute brainless in the final battle. Eric Bailey. One wonders what intracranial event precipitates such decision making. Credit to the Sandmen, penalties dispatched with aplomb.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

marutimon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:57 pm
lacidi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:50 pm
marutimon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 pm BTW killer route to the trophy:
Morocco
Cameroon (probably)
Senegal (my bet)
Egypt will beat Morocco
Maybe, but they will likely have to beat the four best teams in Africa to win the title. No other team has anything near as hard.
Which 'four best teams' do you mean, bro? Two (Algeria and Nigeria) are already gone.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Egypt and Cote d'Ivoire were dead even. But in the PK's it comes down to the GK and simply put... Cote d'Ivoire's keeper is lacking.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Coach wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 pm Brilliant throughout the war and absolute brainless in the final battle. Eric Bailey. One wonders what intracranial event precipitates such decision making. Credit to the Sandmen, penalties dispatched with aplomb.
Coach; abeg, na wetin you tok? I no undastand
Last edited by Odas on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Odas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm
Morocco
Cameroon (probably)
Senegal (my bet)
Egypt will beat Morocco
Maybe, but they will likely have to beat the four best teams in Africa to win the title. No other team has anything near as hard.
Which 'four best teams' do you mean, bro? Two (Algeria and Nigeria) are already gone.
Best teams are Morocco, Cameroon, Senegal (as painful to watch as they are) and Cote d'Ivoire. They also had to fight with Nigeria in the group stage.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 pm

Well if any of them win the tournament, it will accentuate the argument that North African teams are simply better when it comes to tournaments in Africa... that's why I'm praying Senegal get their acts together and win this tournament.
With Nigeria out, I'm a dog with no bone in this fight. A true neutral. May the best team win... North, West, East or South :thumbs:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, was debating this yesterday. The opposition were adamant the comparative strength of the Egyptian league was not a contributing factor. Couldn’t agree less with this assertion. System. Structure. Identity. While the “others” may be equipped with a collection of superior individuals, as far as synergy be concerned, ‘tis a non-contest. Stability and infrastructure cannot be overlooked in this regard.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

marutimon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:03 pm
Odas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm
Morocco
Cameroon (probably)
Senegal (my bet)
Egypt will beat Morocco
Best teams are Morocco, Cameroon, Senegal (as painful to watch as they are) and Cote d'Ivoire. They also had to fight with Nigeria in the group stage.
Oh, I thought you mean 'best' as ranked by FIFA
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

green4life wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:04 pm

With Nigeria out, I'm a dog with no bone in this fight. A true neutral. May the best team win... North, West, East or South :thumbs:
After we were sent home, I became a supporter of the 'underdog' teams. So, I want the underdog teams to win and win it all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

green4life wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:04 pm

Nah so I see am too.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

One has to commend Carlos Queiroz here, having rightly criticized him earlier.
His adjustments have Egypt playing better with each game.

Like that Zamalek midfielder he has coming from the bench Zizo
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mschew just seeing this result angers me sha, esp how we celebrated after the Egypt win, and then never saw that same sort of display from our boys again, now they have gotten further than us, useless moral victory we got…you get the feeling we would have actually gotten further if we lost kai…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Coach wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm @Tx, was debating this yesterday. The opposition were adamant the comparative strength of the Egyptian league was not a contributing factor. Couldn’t agree less with this assertion. System. Structure. Identity. While the “others” may be equipped with a collection of superior individuals, as far as synergy be concerned, ‘tis a non-contest. Stability and infrastructure cannot be overlooked in this regard.
...as per Nigeria and her football, that there is overlooked until last minutes hence 'the fire brigade approach'.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I think the Ivorians would have won had Kessie played the full 90. But the Egyptians did have good chances to score too. Overall an excellent football match.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

YUJAM wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:48 am I think the Ivorians would have won had Kessie played the full 90. But the Egyptians did have good chances to score too. Overall an excellent football match.
They lost control of the midfield after he was subbed. His replacement was poor and has been poor in every game he has played in this tournament. It just shows how one player can make such a difference.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."