Why is Cameroon

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg
Why is Cameroon

Post by The Goddess »

not highly rated in this afcon on this forum? :sneaky:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Why is Cameroon

Post by Tobi17 »

Rivalry for the most part, but deep down Nigerians really respect and recognize how good this Cameroon team is
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:43 pm Rivalry for the most part, but deep down Nigerians really respect and recognize how good this Cameroon team is
So na only bad belle :twisted:

Every win Cameroon scored gets simplified; it was only Burkina, ethiopia, Comoros etc, the real test will be with Egypt at the semi finals blah blah blah

lmao
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

The Goddess wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 pm not highly rated in this afcon on this forum? :sneaky:
I don't believe your statement in general is true. Cameroon is respected by many Nigerians and a matchup between both nations is never seen as an easy one for any knowledgeable Naija fan.

Specific to this tournament though, I believe the fact that Cameroon has not faced any real test -- I mean Burkina Faso (#60) is the highest-ranking team Cameroon has faced in its 5 matches so far -- may explain why folks don't rate Cameroon highly yet.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

People get a general feel for a team. Cameroon teams from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s were very highly rated, but since then it's been so so. Consistent poor performances at the world cup also do not help. You'll notice non-Nigerians here also do not rate this Cameroonian team so it's not just a bad belle thing.

However, Cameroon has been growing as they progressed in this tournament (unlike Nigeria that peaked too early) so Cameroon may well go on to win this if they get past Egypt.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 pm not highly rated in this afcon on this forum? :sneaky:
Have you seen them play?
Try to watch Cameroon on the green grass without biased lenses, and you will see the real Cameroon.
As a neutral, I'm not convinced even though they are getting better.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:05 am
Have you seen them play?
Try to watch Cameroon on the green grass without biased lenses, and you will see the real Cameroon.
Without biased lenses.
LMAO.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:41 am
Have you seen them play?
Without biased lenses.
LMAO.
I know it's a foreign concept to Biya's spokesperson...
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 am
chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:41 am
Have you seen them play?
Without biased lenses.
LMAO.
I know it's a foreign concept to Biya's spokesperson...
You talking about unbiased lenses on a Cam related issue, you sound
more like a politician than a football fan.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Orion wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:18 pm People get a general feel for a team. Cameroon teams from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s were very highly rated, but since then it's been so so. Consistent poor performances at the world cup also do not help. You'll notice non-Nigerians here also do not rate this Cameroonian team so it's not just a bad belle thing.

However, Cameroon has been growing as they progressed in this tournament (unlike Nigeria that peaked too early) so Cameroon may well go on to win this if they get past Egypt.
Im not talking about Woldcup performances, I´m talking about this afcon. And non Nigerians could also be suffering from Bad Bellerism.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Have you seen them play?
How many countries have played better football than Cameroon in this afcon? Senegal who manages to beat a 9 man Cape Vade and Aquatorial Guinea are being constantly heralded as favourites, although they ve been very unconvincing. IS that not double standards?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 pm
Have you seen them play?
How many countries have played better football than Cameroon in this afcon? Senegal who manages to beat a 9 man Cape Vade and Aquatorial Guinea are being constantly heralded as favourites, although they ve been very unconvincing. IS that not double standards?
:huh: You really asked this question? :lol: :lol:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Cameroon has played to be where they are now as host nation
Give the same teams they played so far to our SE, we will struggle if not lose. So give credit.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 pm
Have you seen them play?
We had 24 teams at the afcon, if you can´t list 12 teams which are better than Cameroon, then your argument is redundant.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:44 pm
Have you seen them play?
We had 24 teams at the afcon, if you can´t list 12 teams which are better than Cameroon, then your argument is redundant.
You honestly believe Cameroon played the best football in this AFCON?
BTW, why 12 teams?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

From the teams that played so far the best overall form was that of Senegal or Cameroon.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:06 pm
Have you seen them play?
BTW, why 12 teams?
I didnt say they played the best football. I´m saying others didnt also play well but are regarded more highly. Why?

Secondly, if you´re laughing about my questions, why dont you just answer and say which teams are better?

I listed 12 because you talk as if Cameroon was worse than half of the teams.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

marutimon wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:48 pm From the teams that played so far the best overall form was that of Senegal or Cameroon.
Senegal hasnt really been good. I´ll say Ivory coast, Morocco and I heard Nigeria (didnt watch them play till Tunisia) played well.

Cameroon played better than any other remaining team but are being treated as if they were just scrapping through.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:09 pm
marutimon wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:48 pm From the teams that played so far the best overall form was that of Senegal or Cameroon.
Senegal hasnt really been good. I´ll say Ivory coast, Morocco and I heard Nigeria (didnt watch them play till Tunisia) played well.

Cameroon played better than any other remaining team but are being treated as if they were just scrapping through.
Again, it is based on the level of opposition Cameroon have been facing. There is no conspiracy theory or rocket science around this. When Cameroon meet the other big boys in African football and they show what they are made of, no true football fan will deny them a high rating.

In any case, why do you care how anyone rates your team. As long as the team is taking care of business where it counts, what do you care?
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:07 pm
Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:06 pm
Have you seen them play?
[b]How many countries have played better football than Cameroon in this afcon?[/b] Senegal who manages to beat a 9 man Cape Vade and Aquatorial Guinea are being constantly heralded as favourites, although they ve been very unconvincing. IS that not double standards?
BTW, why 12 teams?
I didnt say they played the best football. I´m saying others didnt also play well but are regarded more highly. Why?

Secondly, if you´re laughing about my questions, why dont you just answer and say which teams are better?

I listed 12 because you talk as if Cameroon was worse than half of the teams.
Really? :huh:

Anyway, when you ask, "How many countries have played better football than Cameroon in this afcon?"
You imply that no team has played better football than Cameroon in this AFCON.
Even you know that is not true.

You are right though that some teams were lauded in-spite of their suspect footie.
Senegal come to mind. Of course, some will beg to differ.

Either way, at the end of the day, Cameroon is not impressive.
Of course, Cameroon fans, just like a mother of an ugly baby, will take offense to those who say it like it is. :D
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Unstable Tobi, when was this meeting with Nigerians where this deep down feelings were expressed? I am assuming you were the secretary at the meeting, right?
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:43 pm Rivalry for the most part, but deep down Nigerians really respect and recognize how good this Cameroon team is
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Auntie, to answer your question, it may be because of the 2 ojoro penalties in Cameroon's first game and the mysterious red cards to their opponents .... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:09 pm

Senegal hasn't being playing very good, but whenever they needed to they upped the ante and took care of business. All in all they have progressed easily so far. Albeit their opposition hasn't been stellar.

They seem to have taken the Italian approach. Do the bare minimum to progress.

Cote d'Ivoire and Morocco played the best football, but they are out (despite playing good games).