[AFCON 2021 Final Match] Senegal 0(4) Egypt 0(2) PKs SENEGAL ARE 1ST TIME AFCON CHAMPIONS!!!!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: [AFCON 2021 Final Match] Senegal 0(4) Egypt 0(2) PKs SENEGAL ARE 1ST TIME AFCON CHAMPIONS!!!!

Post by theDunamis »

Heliopolis wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 amOur team isn’t very good. Salah is the only top player. We don’t have anyone capable of scoring regularly and no one to get Salah the ball. We defended well in numbers but as individuals are defence is mediocre too.

Going into the tourney I said I’d be happy getting to the semis. Winning was a small possibility.

Best Egypt team was 06-10. We’ve gone downhill since which is a shame because we’re wasting Salah’s abilities.

I’m always critical of teams that do the bare minimum to advance in a tourney (Paraguay in 2011 Copa didn’t win a game en route to the final and Portugal at the 2016 Euro made the semis without a win). It’s for this same reason I didn’t think Egypt would be worthy champs. A PK win every now and then is unavoidable but we weren’t good enough to beat most teams decisively. We lack talent.
Very much the highlighted. I feel deeply for Salah that his reign at the top end of world football is coinciding with a time when the Egyptian team has gone on a decline.

That said, I do not believe it is a steep decline or for that matter an unsalvageable one. But I just do not know that Queiroz is the one to turn things around and much less turn them around quickly.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: [AFCON 2021 Final Match] Senegal 0(4) Egypt 0(2) PKs SENEGAL ARE 1ST TIME AFCON CHAMPIONS!!!!

Post by marutimon »

Heliopolis wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 am
theDunamis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:41 pm I just read a comment where someone described Egypt's tactics in this tournament as "Park the bus and inshallah". :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest, while that was said in jest, there is a lot of truth to it, no matter how much our resident football experts try to "modern football" it away as some tactical genius. And how deep they can go into Queiroz's head to bring us evidence that he has planned every second of every game and factored in every trajectory of every moving object on the field -- including the ref.

No, at the end of the day, Carlos Queiroz parked the bus and relied on divine grace. And he carried out this travesty while having one of the best players in the now at his disposal.
Our team isn’t very good. Salah is the only top player. We don’t have anyone capable of scoring regularly and no one to get Salah the ball. We defended well in numbers but as individuals are defence is mediocre too.

Going into the tourney I said I’d be happy getting to the semis. Winning was a small possibility.

Best Egypt team was 06-10. We’ve gone downhill since which is a shame because we’re wasting Salah’s abilities.

I’m always critical of teams that do the bare minimum to advance in a tourney (Paraguay in 2011 Copa didn’t win a game en route to the final and Portugal at the 2016 Euro made the semis without a win). It’s for this same reason I didn’t think Egypt would be worthy champs. A PK win every now and then is unavoidable but we weren’t good enough to beat most teams decisively. We lack talent.
Nonetheless I am still pissed that CAF allowed for a situation where the luck of the draw will pit two AFCON finalists for one World Cup slot.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

marutimon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:39 pm
Heliopolis wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 am
theDunamis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:41 pm I just read a comment where someone described Egypt's tactics in this tournament as "Park the bus and inshallah". :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest, while that was said in jest, there is a lot of truth to it, no matter how much our resident football experts try to "modern football" it away as some tactical genius. And how deep they can go into Queiroz's head to bring us evidence that he has planned every second of every game and factored in every trajectory of every moving object on the field -- including the ref.

No, at the end of the day, Carlos Queiroz parked the bus and relied on divine grace. And he carried out this travesty while having one of the best players in the now at his disposal.
Our team isn’t very good. Salah is the only top player. We don’t have anyone capable of scoring regularly and no one to get Salah the ball. We defended well in numbers but as individuals are defence is mediocre too.

Nonetheless I am still pissed that CAF allowed for a situation where the luck of the draw will pit two AFCON finalists for one World Cup slot.
in fairness to CAF, Egypt were in the second pot for a reason.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.