That Mendy save...

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: That Mendy save...

Post by balo »

Edou Mendy: Champion of the World.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

balo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:22 pm Edou Mendy: Champion of the World.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kabalega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:11 pm Can "we" please be objective?
Mendy is a good goalie but that shot was straight at him.
Many other goalies would have saved it, too.

There is a serious bias towards EPL/Euro based players.
I love Mendy but you are absolutely right.
The save was a really good one but most good keepers would have saved it.
The crucial timing is what makes it ‘special’.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

YemiBrazil wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:36 am
Undertaker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:29 pm
mcal wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:16 pm ...I agree about the Mendy's 116th mins save, he was alert.
Noting from the camera behind him how he was looking, searching, anticipating a shot.
Just like the early second half goal against Okoye and SE vs Egypt, goalie was not alert to or anticipated a shot from that distance.
Good save, however Okoye will also easily keep that out.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: Well, we are naturally disappointed but Maduka Okoye no be moimoi goalkeeper bros

Watch some of his saves here especially the following timestamps:
0:11
0:51
1:14
1:26
2:34
3:11
Yes, they don't tell the full story but he made those saves in competitive professional football. Mendy has his own fail compilation too highlighting his bad office days and it's loaded.

Thank you ‘jare.
I love Mendy just like most of us but he is only now coming into his own.
He is now 29 yrs old and in his prime but his career has not always been like this.
At Okoye’s age he was literally on the unemployment queue becos he was being let go and wasn’t getting signed!
Then he had a stint in some Ligue 2 teams and in some ‘B’ teams before his career started to take off in his mid twenties.

Okoye had a bad day in the office on a big day but that’s about it.
Fans are understandably hurt but that does not make him a bad goalkeeper.

I’m sure Mendy has his numerous bloopers like you say, but someone eventually believed in him and the rest is history.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:12 am
mcal wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:16 pm ...I agree about the Mendy's 116th mins save, he was alert.
Noting from the camera behind him how he was looking, searching, anticipating a shot.
Just like the early second half goal against Okoye and SE vs Egypt, goalie was not alert to or anticipated a shot from that distance.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: Well, we are naturally disappointed but Maduka Okoye no be moimoi goalkeeper bros

Yes, they don't tell the full story but he made those saves in competitive professional football. Mendy has his own fail compilation too highlighting his bad office days and it's loaded.

Thank you ‘jare.
He is now 29 yrs old and in his prime but his career has not always been like this.
At Okoye’s age he was literally on the unemployment queue becos he was being let go and wasn’t getting signed!
Then he had a stint in some Ligue 2 teams and in some ‘B’ teams before his career started to take off in his mid twenties.

I’m sure Mendy has his numerous bloopers like you say, but someone eventually believed in him and the rest is history.

allow people to vent. Okoye is suspect, but NOT entirely to blame for that goal.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ANC wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Thank you ‘jare.

allow people to vent. Okoye is suspect, but NOT entirely to blame for that goal.
I posted another video, why is everyone avoiding that like the plague? Who cares what he does for his useless club, how has he performed for country? What kind of NT keeper gets so easily beat on his near post, then steps behind his own line into his own net before a shot is even taken and we think this type of poor GK technique is good enough for a NT?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 pm I posted another video, why is everyone avoiding that like the plague? Who cares what he does for his useless club, how has he performed for country? What kind of NT keeper gets so easily beat on his near post, then steps behind his own line into his own net before a shot is even taken and we think this type of poor GK technique is good enough for a NT?
It is for you to tell us why in your opinion he doesn’t perform like he does “for his useless club”. :rotf:
What could be the reason?
You can’t blame Rohr any more.
Egu hasn’t dropped him.

We heard worse about Akpeyi after the Algeria defeat.
Uzoho and Ezenwa same thing after bad games.
Maybe he is the best of a bad bunch?

The pain will pass. Calm down.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:55 am
maceo4 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 pm I posted another video, why is everyone avoiding that like the plague? Who cares what he does for his useless club, how has he performed for country? What kind of NT keeper gets so easily beat on his near post, then steps behind his own line into his own net before a shot is even taken and we think this type of poor GK technique is good enough for a NT?
It is for you to tell us why in your opinion he doesn’t perform like he does “for his useless club”. :rotf:
What could be the reason?
You can’t blame Rohr any more.
Egu hasn’t dropped him.

We heard worse about Akpeyi after the Algeria defeat.
Uzoho and Ezenwa same thing after bad games.
Maybe he is the best of a bad bunch?

The pain will pass. Calm down.
But we’ve seen it a lot, some players play better for their clubs than for the NT, I remember Ikpeba vs Amokachi, there was no competition at club level but at NT Amo was a beast and Vic was a bench warmer. These things happen so IMO it’s better to focus on what the player does for the NT, I just don’t get posting his club highlights while ignoring his NT goofs…which IMO should take precedent over whatever he does at his club. There just seems to be a concerted effort to convince us that he’s been good at the NT level even against numerous examples showing otherwise.

And me personally I prefer Uzoho from everything I’ve seen at NT level as far as saves, his weaknesses being his distribution out of the back, but to me saves are more important. And even if he’s the best out of a bad bunch we should then be looking to try others like Osigwe etc and see what they have to offer rather than acting like we are set at GK position…

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaCM0Vku7d ... =copy_link
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

:sneaky: :sneaky: >>> opened thread ...."That Mendy save " >>>>>> Actual discuss ....Okoye blopper :woot: :woot: :woot:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Thank you ‘jare.

The issue with Okoye is, in SE shirt, a very high percentage of a reasonable shots results in goals. He needs to make some of those saves but alas he doesn't.

It wasn't just a one off issue but has become a trend.

His club performance is above average but national team performance are piss poor. Its just that simple.

The good news is, he is still very young and there is an upside.

Back to topic at hand, :sneaky:
The Mendy save is not that spectacular, it is more often than not a save an average level keeper should be making. The time of the save in preserving the score line on the other hand is huge.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

O my damunk will always find a way to derail threads
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am O my damunk will always find a way to derail threads
You have always had a problem with anything beyond the simplistic.
Nothing new here.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cito wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:47 pm His club performance is above average but national team performance are piss poor. Its just that simple.
So if that is indeed the case, the question is why?
What is the reason?
He is not an outfield player subject to tactical formations and roles he is not familiar with.
So, what explanations are you toying with?
How can a keeper go from being way above average to “piss poor” and back again on a consistent basis?

And why is Eguavon still picking him in your view?
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:21 pm
Cito wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:47 pm His club performance is above average but national team performance are piss poor. Its just that simple.
So if that is indeed the case, the question is why?
What is the reason?
He is not an outfield player subject to tactical formations and roles he is not familiar with.
So, what explanations are you toying with?
How can a keeper go from being way above average to “piss poor” and back again on a consistent basis?

And why is Eguavon still picking him in your view?
Mentality can do and undo. I believe he is a decent keeper who just needs to bring his A game and club level mindset to the SE colors.

Eguavon picks him because he has his preferences but from what I see,
1. IMHO Okoye is probably on same level as Uzoho but plays in better club.
2. Akpeyi is better than Okoye but he is not the future.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."