That Mendy save...

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
That Mendy save...

Post by theDunamis »

...no not the penalty. The one in the 116th minute. That was the save of the tournament for me. For multiple reasons.

It came at a time when there were so many tired legs and closing down opponents, breaking play sequences and blocking shots were no longer happening at the right quality or frequency. A time when concentration joins wobbly legs in waning and before you know it there is one capitalist who summons his wealthier legs and focus to unleash a clear and ferocious shot on goal. Tournament on the line...

One thing and one thing only can save a team at that point -- a top-notch goalkeeper who stayed alert behind his tired defense and draws on his skills, reflex, quality and experience to make a very decisive save.

For a couple of seconds, Mendy remains on his knees. He knew what just happened. And the defense in front of him knew very well too as they cast WTF-looks at each other. They had almost lost it all in the space of 20 seconds had it not been for their top-notch goalkeeper. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: That Mendy save...

Post by Tobi17 »

That was some superb reflex as well
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I agree about the Mendy's 116th mins save, he was alert.
Noting from the camera behind him how he was looking, searching, anticipating a shot.
Just like the early second half goal against Okoye and SE vs Egypt, goalie was not alert to or anticipated a shot from that distance.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

There is indeed something special about Edou Mendy. All the accolades aren't just happenstance.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Yeah it was something special.
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

It was a good save but he was also indecisive in two occasion that could have resulted in goal.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Yeah he saved it, but that was a shot directed at him. That's not taking anything from Mendy though who i believe is the best Goalie today in Europe.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

kalani JR wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 pm Yeah it was something special.
hmmm
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

mcal wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:16 pm ...I agree about the Mendy's 116th mins save, he was alert.
Noting from the camera behind him how he was looking, searching, anticipating a shot.
Just like the early second half goal against Okoye and SE vs Egypt, goalie was not alert to or anticipated a shot from that distance.
Good save, however Okoye will also easily keep that out.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:29 pm
mcal wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:16 pm ...I agree about the Mendy's 116th mins save, he was alert.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

azuka wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm Yeah he saved it, but that was a shot directed at him. That's not taking anything from Mendy though who i believe is the best Goalie today in Europe.
The feeble shot directed at our own Keeper we shouldn't blame for not saving it nko?

Mendy, is a special player.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Cellular wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:14 pm
azuka wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm Yeah he saved it, but that was a shot directed at him. That's not taking anything from Mendy though who i believe is the best Goalie today in Europe.
The feeble shot directed at our own Keeper we shouldn't blame for not saving it nko?

A feeble shot? A shot that swerved mid-air isn't a feeble shot. Just yesterday Athletics Madrid goalie, one of the best in the game could not a save a near similar shot from Barca player. And note the yesterday shot never swerve in mid air.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...could be. The closer the ball and striker the more a goalie anticipate.
Mendy's save was very close vs Okoye's miles away.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

I remember Alioum Boukar going a whole tournament without conceding a goal. What's the guy on Twitter talking about?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

azuka wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:26 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:14 pm

A feeble shot? A shot that swerved mid-air isn't a feeble shot. Just yesterday Athletics Madrid goalie, one of the best in the game could not a save a near similar shot from Barca player. And note the yesterday shot never swerve in mid air.
Which goal was that? I hope you don’t mean the Dani Alves one, then you are being very disingenuous…a bullet shot in the box vs one from 30 yards like come on guys…

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

bamenda boy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:45 pm I remember Alioum Boukar going a whole tournament without conceding a goal. What's the guy on Twitter talking about?
He is saying Mendy is the only GK to keep a clean sheet in both a CL final and an AFCON final. Of course, that factoid ignores how many keepers have even reached the finals of both competitions.
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

theDunamis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:37 pm
bamenda boy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:45 pm I remember Alioum Boukar going a whole tournament without conceding a goal. What's the guy on Twitter talking about?
He is saying Mendy is the only GK to keep a clean sheet in both a CL final and an AFCON final. Of course, that factoid ignores how many keepers have even reached the finals of both competitions.
And how many have played in a CL and AFCON ?
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: Well, we are naturally disappointed but Maduka Okoye no be moimoi goalkeeper bros

Watch some of his saves here especially the following timestamps:
0:11
0:51
1:14
1:26
2:34
3:11
Yes, they don't tell the full story but he made those saves in competitive professional football. Mendy has his own fail compilation too highlighting his bad office days and it's loaded.

*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

This same Okoye? Dude was already inside his own net before a shot was even taken, forget that the shot was right at him…dudes a poor GK

Last edited by maceo4 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

chopachop wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:00 amAnd how many have played in a CL and AFCON ?
I would imagine that is part of the point he was making.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

balo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:09 pm There is indeed something special about Edou Mendy. All the accolades aren't just happenstance.
Biko help me to tell dem. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Can "we" please be objective?
Mendy is a good goalie but that shot was straight at him.
Many other goalies would have saved it, too.

There is a serious bias towards EPL/Euro based players.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

ohsee wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:14 am
balo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:09 pm There is indeed something special about Edou Mendy. All the accolades aren't just happenstance.
Biko help me to tell dem. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Dem don hear am, my big boss.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg