"Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad." - Capello

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
"Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad." - Capello

Post by theDunamis »

I guess it hurts deeply not qualifying for 2 WCs in a row and rather than take a hard look in the Italian mirror, it's time for good ol' blame the foreigner. And his selection of foreigners to blame all seem to have one thing in common. Hmm!!

Fabio Capello believes the goalscoring records of Tammy Abraham and Romelu Lukaku in Serie A were signs that Italy’s World Cup humiliation was on the cards.

The Azzurri won last summer’s European Championships, but that success largely papered over the gaping cracks which have been regularly exposed during Italy’s attempts to qualify for Qatar 2022.

A shock defeat against North Macedonia in last night’s play-off ultimately put the final nail in Italy’s hopes of joining the world’s elite international teams in November, but Capello insists the warning signs have been there for a while.

The former England manager pointed to the success Chelsea strikers, past and present, have enjoyed in recent seasons and also told Italian managers they had become obsessed with trying to emulate Pep Guardiola’s style of football.

‘Italian football has imitated Guardiola for 15 years,’ Capello told Sky Sport Italia.

‘There were no vertical passes or physical strength, there is no habit to making challenges. On the other hand, we should follow Jurgen Klopp’s playing style.

‘The only ones doing that in Italy are Atalanta and look at their results. Vincenzo Italiano is trying something similar, same as Alexander Blessin at Genoa who is offering even something more than Klopp. The German way is the model to follow, we don’t have the technique to look at the Spanish one.’

‘There is a high pace in European competition and we are not accustomed to it,’ the ex-coach continued.

‘There are not enough young Italian players, but there is a wrong idea at its base. We are the country of the back pass to the goalkeeper.

‘Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad. They became champions in Italy. This should raise some questions.

‘Sometimes, I am surprised to read some stats. ‘That player made 45 passes…’ Ok, but how many were key passes? How many of those passes were useful?’

Abraham was deemed surplus to requirements by Chelsea last summer but has taken Serie A by storm this season with Roma and last weekend broke a record previously held by Gabriel Batistuta.

Lukaku’s goals, meanwhile, fired Inter to the Scudetto last season but he has struggled to live up to his £97million club record fee since returning to Stamford Bridge and has been ousted from Thomas Tuchel’s starting line-up by Kai Havertz in recent weeks.
Source
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: "Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad." - Capello

Post by Comrade Machel »

Interesting opinion piece by Capello

I feel they lack a true centre forward and Chiellini and Bonucci sjoukd make way for younger bloods
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: "Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad." - Capello

Post by Kabalega »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 pm Interesting opinion piece by Capello

I feel they lack a true centre forward and Chiellini and Bonucci sjoukd make way for younger bloods
theDunamis wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 pm
‘There are not enough young Italian players.....
Source
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Their league is sh1t and riddled with corruption, bribery and referees making mistakes every weekend for fun. They thought they were "doing" others LMAOOO they didnt know they were doing themselves. There is no competition in that sh1t league. how can there be competition, when referees openly try to make certain teams win games, weekly!? They can continue to watch the world cup from home.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

theDunamis wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 pm I guess it hurts deeply not qualifying for 2 WCs in a row and rather than take a hard look in the Italian mirror, it's time for good ol' blame the foreigner. And his selection of foreigners to blame all seem to have one thing in common. Hmm!!

Fabio Capello believes the goalscoring records of Tammy Abraham and Romelu Lukaku in Serie A were signs that Italy’s World Cup humiliation was on the cards.

The Azzurri won last summer’s European Championships, but that success largely papered over the gaping cracks which have been regularly exposed during Italy’s attempts to qualify for Qatar 2022.

A shock defeat against North Macedonia in last night’s play-off ultimately put the final nail in Italy’s hopes of joining the world’s elite international teams in November, but Capello insists the warning signs have been there for a while.

The former England manager pointed to the success Chelsea strikers, past and present, have enjoyed in recent seasons and also told Italian managers they had become obsessed with trying to emulate Pep Guardiola’s style of football.

‘Italian football has imitated Guardiola for 15 years,’ Capello told Sky Sport Italia.

‘There were no vertical passes or physical strength, there is no habit to making challenges. On the other hand, we should follow Jurgen Klopp’s playing style.

‘The only ones doing that in Italy are Atalanta and look at their results. Vincenzo Italiano is trying something similar, same as Alexander Blessin at Genoa who is offering even something more than Klopp. The German way is the model to follow, we don’t have the technique to look at the Spanish one.’

‘There is a high pace in European competition and we are not accustomed to it,’ the ex-coach continued.

‘There are not enough young Italian players, but there is a wrong idea at its base. We are the country of the back pass to the goalkeeper.

‘Victor Osimhen, Romelu Lukaku and Tammy Abraham were just normal strikers abroad. They became champions in Italy. This should raise some questions.

‘Sometimes, I am surprised to read some stats. ‘That player made 45 passes…’ Ok, but how many were key passes? How many of those passes were useful?’

Abraham was deemed surplus to requirements by Chelsea last summer but has taken Serie A by storm this season with Roma and last weekend broke a record previously held by Gabriel Batistuta.

Lukaku’s goals, meanwhile, fired Inter to the Scudetto last season but he has struggled to live up to his £97million club record fee since returning to Stamford Bridge and has been ousted from Thomas Tuchel’s starting line-up by Kai Havertz in recent weeks.
Source
Oga I don't think he's blaming foreigners. He's using them to show how bad Italian football is relative to the rest, especially England.

Wha choo looking at?!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:20 pmOga I don't think he's blaming foreigners. He's using them to show how bad Italian football is relative to the rest, especially England.

Help me understand that. So, he is trying to show how bad Italian football is relative to the rest by specifically naming 3 players who show that how exactly? What exactly do these 3 players have in common that makes them particularly exemplary of the point he is making?
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:10 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:20 pmOga I don't think he's blaming foreigners. He's using them to show how bad Italian football is relative to the rest, especially England.

Help me understand that. So, he is trying to show how bad Italian football is relative to the rest by specifically naming 3 players who show that how exactly? What exactly do these 3 players have in common that makes them particularly exemplary of the point he is making?
I thought he is trying to say those 3 rocked the Italian league with goals.and yet in the UK or other leagues they were nothing to write home about in terms of goals

theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 pmI thought he is trying to say those 3 rocked the Italian league with goals.and yet in the UK or other leagues they were nothing to write home about in terms of goals

But that is the exactly the problem. He picked those 3 out of many options he had -- including and more relevantly, Italian strikers he could have picked.

Immobile was not lighting up La Liga or Bundesliga before coming back to Serie A and he would have been a great example to make that point. If that was indeed the point he wanted to make.

Nor was Vlahovic in Serbia. Nor Simeone.

So, what makes Osimhen, Abraham and Lukaku particularly exemplary of his point? Why those 3 players specifically? And particularly Osimhen who was actually scored 20 goals in Belgium and 18 in Ligue 1 just prior to coming to Serie A.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:54 pm
Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 pmI thought he is trying to say those 3 rocked the Italian league with goals.and yet in the UK or other leagues they were nothing to write home about in terms of goals

But that is the exactly the problem. He picked those 3 out of many options he had -- including and more relevantly, Italian strikers he could have picked.

Immobile was not lighting up La Liga or Bundesliga before coming back to Serie A and he would have been a great example to make that point. If that was indeed the point he wanted to make.

Nor was Vlahovic in Serbia. Nor Simeone.

So, what makes Osimhen, Abraham and Lukaku particularly exemplary of his point? Why those 3 players specifically? And particularly Osimhen who was actually scored 20 goals in Belgium and 18 in Ligue 1 just prior to coming to Serie A.
I now see your point chief.

Meanwhile Mancini's own mom has stated she would have played Balotelli instead if the wastepipes they did :rotf:

That Donuruma is a basket case for sure

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... donia.html

MORE STORIES
'I would have called up Balotelli': Roberto Mancini's own MOTHER questions her son's decision to leave out the former Man City star... and hits out at Jorginho and Gianluigi Donnarumma following Italy's humiliating World Cup play-offs exit :rotf: :rotf:

theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:15 pmI now see your point chief.

Meanwhile Mancini's own mom has stated she would have played Balotelli instead if the wastepipes they did :rotf:

That Donuruma is a basket case for sure

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... donia.html

MORE STORIES
'I would have called up Balotelli': Roberto Mancini's own MOTHER questions her son's decision to leave out the former Man City star... and hits out at Jorginho and Gianluigi Donnarumma following Italy's humiliating World Cup play-offs exit :rotf: :rotf:

Chei!!! Mancini's mom has zero chills. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:13 am Their league is sh1t and riddled with corruption, bribery and referees making mistakes every weekend for fun. They thought they were "doing" others LMAOOO they didnt know they were doing themselves. There is no competition in that sh1t league. how can there be competition, when referees openly try to make certain teams win games, weekly!? They can continue to watch the world cup from home.

You have not watched Serie A recently...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:44 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:13 am Their league is sh1t and riddled with corruption, bribery and referees making mistakes every weekend for fun. They thought they were "doing" others LMAOOO they didnt know they were doing themselves. There is no competition in that sh1t league. how can there be competition, when referees openly try to make certain teams win games, weekly!? They can continue to watch the world cup from home.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Cool story bro.

At least i can count 4 referees who have been dropped by FIGC this season for making "obvious mistakes" against ONE TEAM!! ONLY ONE TEAM!! talkless of If i want to count the number of referees who have been dropped for fooking over the other 15 mid-small teams in the league.

Then you have the likes of Davide Massa who was suspended for his gaffe in the Inter game, or is it Serra's decision in the Milan game, which got him suspended? or the guy who fooked Fiorentina and then got suspended?

LOL you are a funny guy. If you need to know whats going on in Serie A, ask me and I'll tell you game by game.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:56 pm

At least i can count 4 referees who have been dropped by FIGC this season for making "obvious mistakes" against ONE TEAM!! ONLY ONE TEAM!! talkless of If i want to count the number of referees who have been dropped for fooking over the other 15 mid-small teams in the league.

Then you have the likes of Davide Massa who was suspended for his gaffe in the Inter game, or is it Serra's decision in the Milan game, which got him suspended? or the guy who fooked Fiorentina and then got suspended?

LOL you are a funny guy. If you need to know whats going on in Serie A, ask me and I'll tell you game by game.

u can count twice that many incidents in the EPL..

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 am

Not the issue. The issue is that you claimed I have not watched Serie A recently. Like I said, if you want to know whats going on in Serie A, ask me and I will tell you.

What concerns me, concerns EPL. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Is it my father's league? Did they tell you I was born in England? or even live there? Perhaps you were intending to respond to someone else, because clearly its not me you are using "EPL" to chat with. :lol: :lol: Can you imagine??!! Wetin concern me, concern EPL? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This thread is about Capello and Serie A and you are talking to me about EPL. Abeg bros, no make me laugh. :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:49 am

Not the issue. The issue is that you claimed I have not watched Serie A recently. Like I said, if you want to know whats going on in Serie A, ask me and I will tell you.

What concerns me, concerns EPL. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Is it my father's league? Did they tell you I was born in England? or even live there? Perhaps you were intending to respond to someone else, because clearly its not me you are using "EPL" to chat with. :lol: :lol: Can you imagine??!! Wetin concern me, concern EPL? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This thread is about Capello and Serie A and you are talking to me about EPL. Abeg bros, no make me laugh. :lol:

No sir.

The issue is your claim that Serie A is a sh1t league because, among other things, the refs make mistakes.

Yes they do. But just like they do in the PL and La Liga...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:55 pm
No sir.

The issue is your claim that Serie A is a sh1t league because, among other things, the refs make mistakes.

No, Sir, not true. The issue you and I were talking about was your false claim that I do not watch Serie A recently. I debunked it easily.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:56 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
In a discussion involving the renowned Pentagon Parrot txj? Pure synchronicity. :biggrin:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:58 pm
txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:55 pm
No sir.

No, Sir, not true. The issue you and I were talking about was your false claim that I do not watch Serie A recently. I debunked it easily.

Nope.

the substantive issue is your claim about Serie A. Whether you watch it or not is secondary.

The claims you made about the league, based on the performance of a few refs, cannot stand the test of logic...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Nope.

the substantive issue is your claim about Serie A. Whether you watch it or not is secondary.

The claims you made about the league, based on the performance of a few refs, cannot stand the test of logic...
Nope.

It wasnt! The substantive issue between me and you, where you responded to me, was that I "have not watched Serie A recently." I rubbished that assumption and now you know whats up.

As for my claim about the league. Happy to have that discussion separately, AFTER you admit that the issue between me and you was what I stated above.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 pm
txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Nope.

Nope.

It wasnt! The substantive issue between me and you, where you responded to me, was that I "have not watched Serie A recently." I rubbished that assumption and now you know whats up.

As for my claim about the league. Happy to have that discussion separately, AFTER you admit that the issue between me and you was what I stated above.

Sorry bro. What u stated above is your understanding of the substantive issue. Its not.
The question was merely a rhetorical one...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:56 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Sorry bro. What u stated above is your understanding of the substantive issue. Its not.
The question was merely a rhetorical one...
No bro. What I stated above is the issue between me and you. And I addressed it. :D
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Reads as an indictment on the fall of Italian football. Citing 3 foreigners who were modest “where they came from” yet massive in Italy, signals panic and hysteria. Painting them black brings more ides of March than a soothsayer with a crystal ball at Caesar’s Palace (to the “Proud” Italians).

They’ll go full Laurent Blanc next.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I am sure it must be a coincidence that all 3 are blacks.