Lions Indomptables

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Lions Indomptables

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:00 am
Kabalega wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:54 pm Who is number 15 wirh locks? He bossed the MF against Algeria. :clap: :clap:
Toko Ekambi was well Toko, :thumbs: :thumbs:

Onana is getting back on form. But is poor at high balls from the wings, especially corners and free-kicks. It looks like he looses sight of the ball coming in and flaps at it or stays rooted in place.

Another impressive thing about Cameroon was how they fixed the defense after AFCON. Someone should ask Song how they fixed that problem so quickly. I suspect it was a simple solution too.
The number 15 is Pierre Kunde

The defense was already fixed since the game against the Gambia. Against Algeria, I didnt see the defense as good. It was one of the better days for Andre Onana.
Cameroon's defense was vulnerable to balls behind them and through runs throughout AFCON. The defenders would also plant their feet and struggled turn around easily. They were lucky, that opponents didn't take advantage of the glaring weakness.
It was weird to see because individually, the defenders are good.

Rigobert Song, a defender, prescribed the right antidote.

Pierre Kunde and Toko Ekambi will be the players to watch out for in Qatar.
Oyongo needs to take advantage of Song's experience.
Nouhou should bomb forward more in the climate controlled Qatar. He's got the pace and engine to do so
What happened to that wasteful fella everyone was raving about at AFCON? :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Who will get Cameroon's customary red when they disgrace the continent with another group stage exit?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Cameroon will be fine.
Red cards were a result of players getting used to permissive CAF officiating and some WC ref bias.

I wonder whether we will see the usual player sit-downs with Eto'o running things.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 pm Who will get Cameroon's customary red when they disgrace the continent with another group stage exit?
Bad belle :sad:
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

YUJAM wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:13 am Congrats but …

We have long memories and will not easily forget the absolutely disgraceful performance of Les Lions Indomitables the last time around. All of this will be quickly forgotten if we are subject to that disgrace again
New WC, new set of players we will learn from our mistakes
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

The Goddess wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:57 am
King Futcha wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:18 pm
The Goddess wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:11 am

We have long memories and will not easily forget the absolutely disgraceful performance of Les Lions Indomitables the last time around. All of this will be quickly forgotten if we are subject to that disgrace again
Eto has other objectives. He cautioned the Lions change their mentality vis a vis the WC tournament. He warned them that participation this time will not be enough. He is a great dreamer and believes Cameroon can reach the finals of the WC.He says they play in the same clubs like those who win the cup and should not have any complex.
who listens to what eto'o says he was a few seconds from being ripped for what would then be called a horrible mistake of firing the coach.

he can thank slimani for making him look like a genius :)
What Song brings to the table is the fighting spirit but I´m still not sure about his tecnical know-how. Maybe the technician behind him can really help in that aspect.
They did gave their all. Going to overturn the home defeat was huge!

Only IF Nigeria has such fighting spirit. Our players do as if they are doing fashion parade :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:06 pm

Eto has other objectives. He cautioned the Lions change their mentality vis a vis the WC tournament. He warned them that participation this time will not be enough. He is a great dreamer and believes Cameroon can reach the finals of the WC.He says they play in the same clubs like those who win the cup and should not have any complex.
who listens to what eto'o says he was a few seconds from being ripped for what would then be called a horrible mistake of firing the coach.

What Song brings to the table is the fighting spirit but I´m still not sure about his tecnical know-how. Maybe the technician behind him can really help in that aspect.
Song's hothead doesn't know $#%, he's as dumb a manager as he was a player.
You have to be careful. You cannot call someone who played at the highest level dumb. He has limitations but these are compensated with the technical staff.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:16 am

Only IF Nigeria has such fighting spirit. Our players do as if they are doing fashion parade :taunt:
Nigeria and Cameroon dont have good players now. If you ask me what went wrong, I cant really tell. One reason could be the influx of too much money into the sports and the changing of the sport to an unrecognizable caricature of its true self.
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:27 am
wanaj0 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:16 am

Nigeria and Cameroon dont have good players now. If you ask me what went wrong, I cant really tell. One reason could be the influx of too much money into the sports and the changing of the sport to an unrecognizable caricature of its true self.
We have a limited pool to pick from , SE is star studded I am shocked that they did not qualify
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

IMO, the Cameroon team we saw at the AFCON would not have lost at home to Algeria. That last-minute goal in Algeria was too perfect. Everything from the throw-in went so perfectly like a linked chain. On another day, you could do that same move 100 times and it wouldn't lead to a goal. Song was just lucky to qualify. In a way, I feel Algeria paid the price for not taking the AFCON seriously.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Orion wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:49 am

IMO, the Cameroon team we saw at the AFCON would not have lost at home to Algeria. That last-minute goal in Algeria was too perfect. Everything from the throw-in went so perfectly like a linked chain. On another day, you could do that same move 100 times and it wouldn't lead to a goal. Song was just lucky to qualify. In a way, I feel Algeria paid the price for not taking the AFCON seriously.
:lol: :lol: :lol: The man fixed the Lions defense and won away in Algeria. Leading and shutting out the Algerians most of the game. And you claim he was lucky?

Maybe the Algerians were lucky to score their late goal?

Also, the first game against Algeria in Cameroon came too soon after Song got the job. He barely worked with team.
Then after the loss at home, he lost the player's support and trust, only to get them playing the way they did away in Algeria. :clap:

You may not like the man, but give credit where it's due. :100:
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:52 am :lol: :lol: :lol: The man fixed the Lions defense and won away in Algeria. Leading and shutting out the Algerians most of the game. And you claim he was lucky?

Also, the first game against Algeria in Cameroon came too soon after Song got the job. He barely worked with team.
Then after the loss at home, he lost the player's support and trust, only to get them playing the way they did away in Algeria. :clap:

Are you aware they scored 3 minutes into added time of extra time? They scored at 123:12 minutes! If the added time was less, they wouldn't have qualified. They scored with virtually the last kick of the game.

It was possible of course that they were playing defensively to protect their one-goal lead before Algeria scored, but had things gone even slightly differently with that throw-in, Cameroon would not have qualified. It was too close to the edge to be anything other than luck in a game with two equally matched teams.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Orion wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:28 am
Kabalega wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:52 am :lol: :lol: :lol: The man fixed the Lions defense and won away in Algeria. Leading and shutting out the Algerians most of the game. And you claim he was lucky?

Are you aware they scored 3 minutes into added time of extra time? They scored at 123:12 minutes! If the added time was less, they wouldn't have qualified. They scored with virtually the last kick of the game.

It was possible of course that they were playing defensively to protect their one-goal lead before Algeria scored, but had things gone even slightly differently with that throw-in, Cameroon would not have qualified. It was too close to the edge to be anything other than luck in a game with two equally matched teams.
I saw the game live, Algeria were lucky to score their late goal too since series was tied 1-1, most of the game.
The bottom line is, appreciate Cameroon's play all around and Song's hand in it. They made their own luck and deserved to go through.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:49 am

I saw the game live, Algeria were lucky to score their late goal too since series was tied 1-1, most of the game.
The bottom line is, appreciate Cameroon's play all around and Song's hand in it. They made their own luck and deserved to go through.
That game could have easily ended in a draw. The stats of the game show Algeria dominated and was the better team. Keep in mind that after Cameroon scored it was 1-1 and they hadn't qualified yet. So it wasn't just the case that they were defending their lead. Algeria was trying to qualify outright while Cameroon seem to be playing for penalties.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Orion wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:06 pm

That game could have easily ended in a draw. The stats of the game show Algeria dominated and was the better team. Keep in mind that after Cameroon scored it was 1-1 and they hadn't qualified yet. So it wasn't just the case that they were defending their lead. Algeria was trying to qualify outright while Cameroon seem to be playing for penalties.

I saw the game live and the replay 1.5 times.
You are partially correct. Cameroon were conservative after scoring which was wise decision away in Algeria and the results show. But they had their moments.

Cameroon's MFs bossed Algeria's whenever they felt like it. You don't see that in the stats because, again, they were conservative.

Their strategy worked!
Score early, conserve energy and wait for clear chances or set-pieces (penas, corners or free-kicks). If things don't work out, extra time or pena when the Algerians are tired.

The late goal shows that Cameroon could score whenever they really wanted to do so.
Give credit where it's due.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:32 am

You are partially correct. Cameroon were conservative after scoring which was wise decision away in Algeria and the results show. But they had their moments.

Cameroon's MFs bossed Algeria's whenever they felt like it. You don't see that in the stats because, again, they were conservative.

Their strategy worked!
Score early, conserve energy and wait for clear chances or set-pieces (penas, corners or free-kicks). If things don't work out, extra time or pena when the Algerians are tired.

The late goal shows that Cameroon could score whenever they really wanted to do so.
The only "strategy" here is that Song tightened up his defense enough to avoid conceding more goals in Algeria. That is the credit I give him. They also had a world-class keeper in Onana.

The win itself came from pure LUCK!
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

You guys should agree to disagree
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Orion wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:31 am
Kabalega wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:32 am

Their strategy worked!

The only "strategy" here is that Song tightened up his defense enough to avoid conceding more goals in Algeria. That is the credit I give him. They also had a world-class keeper in Onana.

The win itself came from pure LUCK!
So, you agree that Song and Cameroon:
  • 1. Had a clear strategy.
    2. Tightened up their defense to avoid conceding more goals in Algeria.
    3. Did NOT concede more goals in Algeria.
    4. Fielded a "world-class" keeper.
    5. Won the game.
    6. Strategy worked.
If this is luck, then they clearly made their own LUCK. Case closed! :D
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:58 am You guys should agree to disagree
Orion is just being obstinate.
Yearning opaks after seeing limited game highlights and stats. :)

BTW, the game is on ESPN+ .
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:28 pm So, you agree that Song and Cameroon:
  • 1. Had a clear strategy.
    2. Tightened up their defense to avoid conceding more goals in Algeria.
    3. Did NOT concede more goals in Algeria.
    4. Fielded a "world-class" keeper.
    5. Won the game.
    6. Strategy worked.
If this is luck, then they clearly made their own LUCK. Case closed! :D
Cameroon was within a few seconds of being knocked out. Think about that. That's why I said it was luck.

If anything had gone differently with that throw-in, say an Algerian got their foot on the ball, Cameroon would have been out. That is pure luck, and you're the one being obstinate by arguing otherwise.

Take a good look at the stats I posted again (below). Watching the game live means nothing as we've often pointed out here on CE. Algeria had no reason not to qualify for this world cup based on how they played. They were just very unlucky. I can’t remember the last time I saw an African team so deserving fail to qualify.

At the very least the game should have been a draw. The fact Cameroon won is just pure LUCK. I would say the same if it was Nigeria. The only reason I have no sympathy for Algeria is that they always like to whine, complain, and pull out the victim card whenever things don't go their way. This time the gods just weren't with.

The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:33 pm

I do not have ESPN. Someone should upload on Youtube
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The Goddess wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm
Kabalega wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:33 pm

I do not have ESPN. Someone should upload on Youtube
ESPN+ has an app. You might get a deal.
The game might be on YT in Arabic or something.

EDIT: You don't even need an ESPN app. Just watch on ESPN.com. If you have to pay, it's less than USD$6/month. You could signup for free and cancel.