World Cup Qatar 2022 draw

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: World Cup Qatar 2022 draw

Post by marutimon »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:42 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:12 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:03 pm
marutimon wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:35 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:28 pm Senegal should sail through to the next round, if they get a good result against Ecuador, and that is a big if.
On paper Senegal should destroy Ecuador. "Should"!
Stronger by far in every position from back to front and no high rise stadium to assist them in home games. The Holland game will set the group.
Senegal has a tough time against South American teams, just like Nigeria. This game could be a 1 goal win for either team. No guarantees here at all.
Ecuador isn't a typical South American team

I fancy Senegal quite a bit.
Ecuador is very similar to the Colombia that knocked Senegal out of the last WC.
No disrespect, but Ecuador is nowhere as strong as that Colombia side.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

marutimon wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:13 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:28 pm Senegal should sail through to the next round, if they get a good result against Ecuador, and that is a big if.
Stronger by far in every position from back to front and no high rise stadium to assist them in home games. The Holland game will set the group.
Senegal has a tough time against South American teams, just like Nigeria. This game could be a 1 goal win for either team. No guarantees here at all.

Ecuador is very similar to the Colombia that knocked Senegal out of the last WC.
We will see ...

Wha choo looking at?!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:19 pm

We will see ...
in what ways are they similar?
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

King Futcha wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:17 am

We will see ...
Technically very good on the ball, tactically savvy, quick to transition and with decently skilled finishers. Haven't you watched them play?

Like I said, we will see ...

Wha choo looking at?!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:37 am

We will see ...
Technically very good on the ball, tactically savvy, quick to transition and with decently skilled finishers. Haven't you watched them play?

yes, thats why i asked :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Coach wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:48 pm @Tx, how many of the Famous Five make it to the second round? Tunisia, Morocco, Ghana gone early doors. Cameroon have a very interesting group, the weather may play a hand…zip zero by the end of 16, odds on…hopefully one or two will spring a surprise and make it beyond the usual.

Rooting for Senegal.

I won't put money on any of them. Been down this road too many times and I have always been disappointed. Talent wise a few African teams are often times an even match but something seems to happen at the big stage and they simply fail to execute. Watch that vaunted Senegal side fold to a pedestrian team like Wales or Slovenia at a world cup :rotf: :rotf: I have seen it too often :roll: :( :cry:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the CAF teams, will all be back home by week two of the worldcup
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I think Ghana could actually win their group, none of the teams in there are world beaters.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

kalani JR wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:17 pm I think Ghana could actually win their group, none of the teams in there are world beaters.
Uruguay and Portugal will rip them a new one. 3-0 and 4-1. They might scrape a 1-1 draw against Korea but I see them narrowly losing that one too.

Wha choo looking at?!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:58 pm
kalani JR wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:17 pm I think Ghana could actually win their group, none of the teams in there are world beaters.
Uruguay and Portugal will rip them a new one. 3-0 and 4-1. They might scrape a 1-1 draw against Korea but I see them narrowly losing that one too.
Not sure about Portugal or Uruguay. They certainly aren’t world beaters at this point. Portugal struggled against a poor Turkey team and an aging Uruguay squad barely qualified in S America.

I think the fortunes of Africa’s reps may not pan out the way we expect. Teams that qualify are going to have to do this the hard way. And teams such as Holland, Portugal and Uruguay are there for the taking
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Ghana has the toughest group for an African team
The good news is that it is only on paper

Ghana is winning this world cup
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Both of those teams are reliant on many of the players they had in 2014 and they are old. Uruguay is still running the Suarez and Cavani duo which has zero speed. Maybe Nunez and J. Felix step up but we wait and see.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Kpom

Think African sides should play with no fear. They should play tactically smart football but also be prepared to take the game to the Euro and S American sides. Most of them are evenly matched with our teams at best. And even with the best teams, players don’t make teams.

kalani JR wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:21 am
Both of those teams are reliant on many of the players they had in 2014 and they are old. Uruguay is still running the Suarez and Cavani duo which has zero speed. Maybe Nunez and J. Felix step up but we wait and see.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

YUJAM wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 am Kpom

Think African sides should play with no fear. They should play tactically smart football but also be prepared to take the game to the Euro and S American sides. Most of them are evenly matched with our teams at best. And even with the best teams, players don’t make teams.

The West and Central African teams SHOULD be competitive in their groups, probably the best draw Africa has had overall since 2010.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

YUJAM wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:26 pm
Not sure about Portugal or Uruguay. They certainly aren’t world beaters at this point. Portugal struggled against a poor Turkey team and an aging Uruguay squad barely qualified in S America.

I think the fortunes of Africa’s reps may not pan out the way we expect. Teams that qualify are going to have to do this the hard way. And teams such as Holland, Portugal and Uruguay are there for the taking
Portugal and Uruguay will deconstruct Ghana with set pieces. I will hate to say I told you so.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Portugal and Uruguay will deconstruct Ghana with set pieces. It's not all about speed. For example without breaking a sweat, England beat Ukraine 4-0. 3 of those goals came from set pieces. From what I have seen so far, Ghana does not have the weapons to respond, but we will see ...

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

King Futcha wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:34 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:37 am

We will see ...

yes, thats why i asked :)
Then say so from the git go instead of wasting everyone's time :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

bret- hart wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 pm Looking forward to the meltdown on Nbcsn ESPN and fox News after USA gets smashed by Iran and are dumped out of the WC after round 1. My laughing thread is warming up. Go team Melli :thumbs:
:biggrin:
Make your friend Fatuous Futcha da bitcha catch you. :D :lol:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 am
Portugal and Uruguay will deconstruct Ghana with set pieces. It's not all about speed. For example without breaking a sweat, England beat Ukraine 4-0. 3 of those goals came from set pieces. From what I have seen so far, Ghana does not have the weapons to respond, but we will see ...
:biggrin:
Bros say it: bredas are short on height. :biggrin: :biggrin:
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

marutimon wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:30 pm Cameroon: Good sequence, they first play Switzerland against which they can get a result. Then Serbia, who will likely be after a loss to Brazil, so desperate. Brazil will be last and probably they will have qualified by then... So who knows? But this is obviously the toughest group for an African side. And Cameroon was almost always terrible against Brazil (albeit they did have a couple of brilliant non-World Cup games against them).

Morocco: Qualitywise none of the other teams has much on them. Okay, th Belgians have massive quality, but they seem to have started their decline. Morocco-Croatia will likely decide the group.

Senegal: Deceptively weak group against a relatively weak Dutch side, but all of these teams could surprise. But Senegal is well placed to win it.

Tunisia: In all honesty this looks like a group tailor made for them. They'll frustrate Denmark and could take the game against Peru/Australia/UAE. France last for them, so it will be decided by them. Poor team, but the draw is doable.

Ghana: I like Ghana's draw, although the sequence not optimal. They will likely go out for a draw against Portugal, a win vs South Korea (IMO Ghana is the better team here), but Korea does have an elite player in Heung-Min Son. And then Uruguay... On paper Uruguay are much better, but this game IMO will follow a different, grudge logic.
1) No, I dont find this group all that tough. Talentwise, the group should end as follows; Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon but as you have rightly said, by the time Cameroon meets Brazil, they might have qualified. I say, they´ll make the 2nd place in the group.

2) Morocco isnt getting out of this group
3) You guys rate Senegal too highly. If not for referee Mago Mago against Cape Verde in the QF of the Afcon, they wouldnt have gone far. They´re overrated and wouldnt make it out of the group.
4) Tunisia and Ghana arent makin git out of the group
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:33 pm
Coach wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:48 pm @Tx, how many of the Famous Five make it to the second round? Tunisia, Morocco, Ghana gone early doors. Cameroon have a very interesting group, the weather may play a hand…zip zero by the end of 16, odds on…hopefully one or two will spring a surprise and make it beyond the usual.

Rooting for Senegal.

I won't put money on any of them. Been down this road too many times and I have always been disappointed. Talent wise a few African teams are often times an even match but something seems to happen at the big stage and they simply fail to execute. Watch that vaunted Senegal side fold to a pedestrian team like Wales or Slovenia at a world cup :rotf: :rotf: I have seen it too often :roll: :( :cry:
Its the mentality, inferiority complex. Eto has warned to change their mentality before November.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 am
You're looking at names which is what often is why African teams don't win these games.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Hmmmm. 🤔

The Goddess wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:23 pm
marutimon wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:30 pm Cameroon: Good sequence, they first play Switzerland against which they can get a result. Then Serbia, who will likely be after a loss to Brazil, so desperate. Brazil will be last and probably they will have qualified by then... So who knows? But this is obviously the toughest group for an African side. And Cameroon was almost always terrible against Brazil (albeit they did have a couple of brilliant non-World Cup games against them).

Morocco: Qualitywise none of the other teams has much on them. Okay, th Belgians have massive quality, but they seem to have started their decline. Morocco-Croatia will likely decide the group.

Senegal: Deceptively weak group against a relatively weak Dutch side, but all of these teams could surprise. But Senegal is well placed to win it.

Tunisia: In all honesty this looks like a group tailor made for them. They'll frustrate Denmark and could take the game against Peru/Australia/UAE. France last for them, so it will be decided by them. Poor team, but the draw is doable.

Ghana: I like Ghana's draw, although the sequence not optimal. They will likely go out for a draw against Portugal, a win vs South Korea (IMO Ghana is the better team here), but Korea does have an elite player in Heung-Min Son. And then Uruguay... On paper Uruguay are much better, but this game IMO will follow a different, grudge logic.
1) No, I dont find this group all that tough. Talentwise, the group should end as follows; Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon but as you have rightly said, by the time Cameroon meets Brazil, they might have qualified. I say, they´ll make the 2nd place in the group.

2) Morocco isnt getting out of this group
3) You guys rate Senegal too highly. If not for referee Mago Mago against Cape Verde in the QF of the Afcon, they wouldnt have gone far. They´re overrated and wouldnt make it out of the group.
4) Tunisia and Ghana arent makin git out of the group