Are We Seeing a New Generation of Strikers?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Are We Seeing a New Generation of Strikers?

Post by txj »

By this I refer to central strikers not wide forwards.

Very direct, quick, tall, strong,” is how Van Dijk describes them.

They can play with back to goal. They can receive the ball to feet and play between the lines.

But the key is the combination of power and technique.

I'm talking about the likes of:
- Haaland
- Darwnin Nunez

And, yes- Victor Oshimen.

Although it should be said, Lukaku did exemplify this, perhaps more than most, but was sadly never well used until late in his career on moving to Italy.

IMO the Nigerian is constrained a little bit by the quality of his early development ( a tiny bit like Lukaku), particularly in Germany, especially with regard to movement and spatial awareness. Although its also a +ive factor in some of his spontaneity.

But he's coming on in leaps at Napoli and with some of the transfers by Napoli- Kavratshelia, Oliveira, should grow even more in the next season, with a better mix of youth and experience in the team.

The list also includes Mbappe, who, although different, given he can also be classed as a 'wide forward', which is how he started and has mostly played, but does fit the bill nonetheless.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Are We Seeing a New Generation of Strikers?

Post by Scipio Africanus »

You just described almost every striker that has played for Germany in the last 30 odd years. Klinsmann, Voeller, Bierhoff, Klose, Muller etc. All tall, strong, skilled on the ball and very direct. Italy got wise to the game in 2006 with the addition of Luca Toni(6' 4") and Fabio Grosso(6' 3") who helped them lift the 2006 WC. Brazil also had Adriano and Luis Fabiano (both over 6 feet) who helped them lift a couple of Copa Americas in the early aughts. Argentina had Batigol and Crespo, also both 6 footers. Other notable mentions are Mandzucic and assorted other Balkan strikers like Dzeko, and other Serbian strikers whose names escape me right now.

So no this is not new

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:01 am You just described almost every striker that has played for Germany in the last 30 odd years. Klinsmann, Voeller, Bierhoff, Klose, Muller etc. All tall, strong, skilled on the ball and very direct. Italy got wise to the game in 2006 with the addition of Luca Toni(6' 4") and Fabio Grosso(6' 3") who helped them lift the 2006 WC. Brazil also had Adriano and Luis Fabiano (both over 6 feet) who helped them lift a couple of Copa Americas in the early aughts. Argentina had Batigol and Crespo, also both 6 footers. Other notable mentions are Mandzucic and assorted other Balkan strikers like Dzeko, and other Serbian strikers whose names escape me right now.

So no this is not new

I do not think you know what you are talking about...

Klinsmann, Voeller, Klose, Mueller, Adriano, Bati... Jeeze....That is WIDE off the mark!

Fabio Grosso is a left back bro...

Anyways, thanks and goodbye

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:10 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:01 am You just described almost every striker that has played for Germany in the last 30 odd years. Klinsmann, Voeller, Bierhoff, Klose, Muller etc. All tall, strong, skilled on the ball and very direct. Italy got wise to the game in 2006 with the addition of Luca Toni(6' 4") and Fabio Grosso(6' 3") who helped them lift the 2006 WC. Brazil also had Adriano and Luis Fabiano (both over 6 feet) who helped them lift a couple of Copa Americas in the early aughts. Argentina had Batigol and Crespo, also both 6 footers. Other notable mentions are Mandzucic and assorted other Balkan strikers like Dzeko, and other Serbian strikers whose names escape me right now.

So no this is not new

Klinsmann, Voeller, Klose, Mueller, Adriano, Bati... Jeeze....That is WIDE off the mark!

I KNOW you don’t think. I have seen multiple instances of it all over this forum, and I am not your “bro” you halitosis afflicted midget.

Anyway I blame myself :mrgreen: I see open sewer being created by the forumer known to have deep inferiority complexes about his intelligence and instead of ignoring it I tried to cover the smell of your desperate attempts to appear insightful. New breed of striker indeed! What a doofus! :laugh:

Please go get some counseling and stop trying too hard.

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:32 am

So no this is not new

I KNOW you don’t think. I have seen multiple instances of it all over this forum, and I am not your “bro” you halitosis afflicted midget.

Anyway I blame myself :mrgreen: I see open sewer being created by the forumer known to have deep inferiority complexes about his intelligence and instead of ignoring it I tried to cover the smell of your desperate attempts to appear insightful. New breed of striker indeed! What a doofus! :laugh:

Fabio Grosso is a left back.

That's how stupid you are!

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:01 pm

So no this is not new

Course he is. I have forgotten more football than you ever knew, you room clearing halitosis infested troll. You are the stupidest member of this forum, bar none. I am working on a cyber prize for you.

Now go get some counseling for your deep inferiority complexes. If money is the issue, we can take up a collection. :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:19 pm

So no this is not new

Course he is. I have forgotten more football than you ever knew, you room clearing halitosis infested troll. You are the stupidest member of this forum, bar none. I am working on a cyber prize for you.

Now go get some counseling for your deep inferiority complexes. If money is the issue, we can take up a collection. :mrgreen:

You have some serious problems. And I have no interest in it or in you.
Goodbye...

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:24 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:19 pm

So no this is not new

You have some serious problems. And I have no interest in it or in you.
Goodbye...
You know you don't have to feel so inferior all the time. Say it with me: I am short, ugly and proud! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Expanding on my op:

Its not that we have never seen powerful strikers before in football. No.

The English game has long made a history of the big, burly striker waiting for his teammates to 'put it in the mixer'...

Furthermore, as many have noted in the past, nothing is truly new in football. Just the cyclical movement of history and the adaptation of such to a new era...

But the key difference here is often about speed, technique and flexibility.

Flexibility that allows such big men to be involved in the build up stage of the modern passing game, and yet retain the power of the 'big burly' of old.

Where a Horst Hrubesch, Bierhoff, Luca Toni or Andy Caroll had power and hold up play ability, their game was never defined by flexibility in technique and movement, as well as speed, to be a component of the build up play, and never finished as part of the 'arrival' 2nd wave of attacking players.

You see this trend especially in Haaland by observing his heatmap. Ditto for Mbappe, esp wrt his speed and the rapidity of his turns when he drifts backwards, then spins on the turn for a thru ball in the middle, as we saw with his goal over the weekend, for instance...
Last edited by txj on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:40 pm Expanding on my op:

The English game has long made a history of the big, burly striker waiting for his teammates to 'put it in the mixer'...

Furthermore, as many have noted in the past, nothing is truly new in football. Just the cyclical movement of history and the adaptation of such to a new era...

But the key difference her is often about speed, technique and flexibility.

Flexibility that allows such big men to be involved in the build up stage of the modern passing game, and yet retain the power of the 'big burly' of old.

Where a Horst Hrubesch, Bierhoff, Luca Toni or Andy Caroll had power and hold up play ability, their game was never defined by flexibility in technique and movement, as well as speed, to be a component of the build up play, and never finished as part of the 'arrival' 2nd wave of attacking players.

You see this trend especially in Haaland by observing his heatmap. Ditto for Mbappe, esp wrt his speed and the rapidity of his turns when he drifts backwards, then spins on the turn for a thru ball in the middle, as we saw with his goal over the weekend, for instance...
Shut the f*ck up, you bloated dummy. Many strikers in the past had all these, especially the great Dutch strikers like Van Basten and Van Persie, let's not even talk about the great Bergkamp. The great Klinsmann. They didn't have speed, technique and flexibility, not to mention game changing intelligence? Mgbo, mgbo, mgbo ..... :curse: :curse:

Wha choo looking at?!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

My brother, this post is at odds with your inclusion of Lukaku as a new Gen striker. The irony is Lukaku's struggle at Chelsea had a lot to do with his inflexibility as a striker - particularly wrt to his poor mobility. Lukaku does have a wealth of attributes but he lacks the willingness to adjust his game fit modern demands.

On the flip side, strikers like Drogba (blast from the past) and today's Harry Kane better fit the description in addition to the others you mentioned except for Lukaku.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm

My brother, this post is at odds with your inclusion of Lukaku as a new Gen striker. The irony is Lukaku's struggle at Chelsea had a lot to do with his inflexibility as a striker - particularly wrt to his poor mobility. Lukaku does have a wealth of attributes but he lacks the willingness to adjust his game fit modern demands.

On the flip side, strikers like Drogba (blast from the past) and today's Harry Kane better fit the description in addition to the others you mentioned except for Lukaku.

I did qualify my inclusion of Lukaku.

I look at him, more from what could've been rather than what he ended up as.

I don't know if you watched him at Inter last season.
Also indications of this under Martinez at Everton...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The Brazilian Ronaldo was the prime archetype of this type of forward. Tall, strong, quick, with technique to spare.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:41 pm By this I refer to central strikers not wide forwards.

They can play with back to goal. They can receive the ball to feet and play between the lines.

- Haaland
- Darwnin Nunez

Although it should be said, Lukaku did exemplify this, perhaps more than most, but was sadly never well used until late in his career on moving to Italy.

IMO the Nigerian is constrained a little bit by the quality of his early development ( a tiny bit like Lukaku), particularly in Germany, especially with regard to movement and spatial awareness. Although its also a +ive factor in some of his spontaneity.

But he's coming on in leaps at Napoli and with some of the transfers by Napoli- Kavratshelia, Oliveira, should grow even more in the next season, with a better mix of youth and experience in the team.

The list also includes Mbappe, who, although different, given he can also be classed as a 'wide forward', which is how he started and has mostly played, but does fit the bill nonetheless.
It's interesting that City and Liverpool have turned to this type of forward. It'll be fascinating to see how they both settle in. Haaland will be expected to make a difference in the latter stages of the CL; City scored 99 PL goals last season so he's not come to close a goalscoring deficit. Nuñez at Liverpool will be very interesting.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

So no this is not new

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Skip, mercy for the bobo na. Strictly Soccer is the only area where he thinks he has skillz. If you take it away from him , what will he do? :biggrin:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:45 pm
txj wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:41 pm By this I refer to central strikers not wide forwards.

- Haaland
- Darwnin Nunez

It's interesting that City and Liverpool have turned to this type of forward. It'll be fascinating to see how they both settle in. Haaland will be expected to make a difference in the latter stages of the CL; City scored 99 PL goals last season so he's not come to close a goalscoring deficit. Nuñez at Liverpool will be very interesting.

I think for both teams and both players, it will come down to MF adjustments both wrt personnel and playing systems.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

They spend 100 million for a striker from primary 5 league and all of them don gather here pretending to talk about "the new generation of strikers" :lol: :lol: :lol: clown fanbase! :lol: DOnt worry, your new generation striker will get you the carabawoni cup again, because we all know your coach cannot win without spending money -- checkbook manager!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Epl fan club.
Delusion grandeur.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

If Chelsea is smart they need to sign Oshimen asap.