England 0 Hungary 4

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 39852
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:59 pm
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by kajifu »

hestonap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:09 am
hestonap wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:59 am Declaration of interest… I do not like England and I am unlikely to ever like England.

Water always finds its level.

When you play repeatedly/mostly San Marino and it’s likes to qualify and get handed a lucky if the draw okaying then Tunisias and Haiti equivalents in the WC to reach the semis but stumble when you hit half decent opponents like Belgium and Croatia.

You repeat the same trickery at the Euros with a significant home advantage and yes I concede they beat Germany to get to the finals…

You get to believe you’ll win the WC…

Anyway we go see….

I’ll be watching like most Nigerians as a forced neutral… the extra bitterness of missing out will be taking out on cheering against these clowns.

God knows I hate being a hater but when it comes to these clowns I truly can’t help myself.
Why are you a hater?
It’s good to ask yourself that Q.
Can be quite revealing. :D
Ah big bros and esteemed colleague only just seen this lol,

I did a ‘deep psychoanalytic dive’ on my footballing soul and here are my reasons albeit not exhaustive.

Hating started in 1990 after the WC QF game against Cameron. Prior to this as a student in FGCI in the 1980s, I was a big fan. Those days you could write to the FA directly from Nigeria… think address was in Lancaster Gate my memory fails me and they’d post you these lovely back and white pics of the English team amongst other memorabilia. Anyway as I said Italia 90 burst that silly romantic bubble.

There was something about Linekars dive for that penalty against the Lions that just didn’t sit right with my then young mind. Anyway some may argue the Cameroonians were ‘naive’ on that day…. We did our own against the Italians 4 years later but I digress.

Anyway fast forward a few years, I go do post-grad for England and I settle in to work and live there, then the arrogance and hypocrisy truly gets to me.

It’s all well and good bigging your self up, but when you ain’t won $#% in years and without evidence, you put yourself consistently as favourites. ‘Football is coming home’ every competition. WC starts and England plays on day 3 and you hear journalists and commentators say ‘now the real WC begins’ - what kinda arrogant tomfoolery and lack of self awareness is that Lol

Couple that with this innate and explicit need to put down ‘foreigners’ at the expense of your own and for reasons I fail to fathom, count me out as a supporter and in as a strong hater.

Watch and read football pundits… nobody British dives as a footballer except Joe Foreigner. Na only the Brit players get spine and put in the hard shift. in the great years at the press, there was this uncharacteristic funny ‘love’ for Man U against Arsenal. Maybe the latter was overpopulated by foreigners compared to the former. Maybe it was the dislike for the French Wenger by the press.

Or just maybe as an Arsenal fan I should just admit we sucked many times compared to ManU in those days but I digress.

I lived in England for more than 15 years. My overall experience was significantly positive be it life in general and career in particular. I have a significant soft spot for the country. I had great opportunities that I’d admit my own country no offer me. I am grateful for the experience and to say its rise will be a lie.
I am however pleased I got out at the right time for me.

Stop it I am meant to be pouring out ‘hatred’ and not admiration lol

This is not the thread or place to go into specifics, but trust me, I will always root for the opposition against the English when it comes to football.

I will take the frequent ‘bruising’ because they are very good at lining up friendlies against small nations and qualifying in soft groups. I take those losses on the chin.

The one thing I know is the 3 lions won’t fail me when they line up against the big guns. I especially enjoy the defeats that come after an initial goal and they build up their hopes. The penalty losses are like Christmas come early.

I mean as a Nigerian I will even turn on the instincts to root for the midgety black stars against them, that’s how unreasonably deep it runs.

The morning after superficial commiserations with colleagues while there is inner joy in my footballing soul at the footballing schadenfreude knows no limit.

Want to make me a ‘fan and a lover’ ….. make the next queen/monarch and PM a left wing Blackman with a huge non-British accent and 75% of the cabinet black for the next 20 years black, then I will consider lol. While you’re at it, make sure the next 10 managers of the 3 lions and all footballing levels are of original Nigerian stock.

Seeing that none of the above will happen, my ‘hatred’ is safe and secure.

Finally, Damunk you’re the psychiatrist and know the deep paradoxes of the human mind. There is much to admire about the Brits openly and yes even if grudgingly.

I just choose to concentrate the ‘hatred’ towards their football team.

Final PS: with and without every sense of irony…I sense we as Nigerians perhaps picked up some of the same arrogance from our historical relationship with them. Just look how we big ourselves up even when evidence points to the contrary lol.

Anyway it’s all good…..don’t hate on the children of the empire silently rooting for the opposition against the ‘mother’ country.

Does that answer your question ?
Chairman take a bow,you sabi this yeye folks well
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 19919
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:52 am
Wasn’t that Rohr’s crime - a failure to irritate the hell out of the rest of Africa by projecting our ‘superiority’ on them? :rotf:
You have zero self-awareness and possibly zero sense.

Your master's crime was that is is 5hit! He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory vs Argentina, he spent his 5 years with us making sure that our players believe we couldn't win. Fine, dont "project superiority to others." But what is the point of forcing your team to feel inferior?

You think you can rewrite history abi? :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 19919
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by danfo driver »

ohsee wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:08 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm
akamoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm Im confused, aren't the Hungarians tired too?
No o! They rested the whole season. Only the English fought 3 world wars, and one civil war over the last 6 months. They are very tired!

And you wonder why England and their fans are hated unanimously around the world. Never seen such empty arrogance in my life. They cant lose, unless there is an explanation. :oops: :oops: :roll:
:biggrin:
Na lie my friend! How can you say you have never seen such empty arrogance when txj is right there beside you? :biggrin:
:lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
User avatar
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35619
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:25 am
Location: ßos✞on ✈️ Mo✞own ✈️ Lægos
Contact:
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by theYemster »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:20 am
txj wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:36 am One has to take these NL results with a huge bucket of salt...
Why though? if England had won 4-0, would we be talking about salt?

The disrespect some countries/clubs get from football fans is astonishing. Hungary bet the crap out of England because they performed better. Simple as that
Don't think anyone disputed that happened...just maybe the reason for it happening.
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 19919
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by danfo driver »

theYemster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:38 am
danfo driver wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:20 am
txj wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:36 am One has to take these NL results with a huge bucket of salt...
Why though? if England had won 4-0, would we be talking about salt?

The disrespect some countries/clubs get from football fans is astonishing. Hungary bet the crap out of England because they performed better. Simple as that
Don't think anyone disputed that happened...just maybe the reason for it happening.
whats the reason?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
User avatar
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35539
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Displaced Naija. Don't bother
Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by cchinukw »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm
akamoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm Im confused, aren't the Hungarians tired too?
No o! They rested the whole season. Only the English fought 3 world wars, and one civil war over the last 6 months. They are very tired!

And you wonder why England and their fans are hated unanimously around the world. Never seen such empty arrogance in my life. They cant lose, unless there is an explanation. :oops: :oops: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Summary of Buhari APC govt (2015 - current) Government of excuses, by excuses and for excuses.

VP Osinbajo - 'I want to continue with Buhari's legacy' (APC Candidate Declaration Speech)

Post Reply