Women's Euro 2022- Wendie Renard Farewell?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Women's Euro 2022- Wendie Renard Farewell?

Post by Kabalega »

Euro 2022: Who are the players to watch out for this summer?13 hours ago
By Emma Sanders
BBC Sport

Alexia Putellas, Wendie Renard, Fridolina Rolfo and Pernille Harder
Chelsea forward Pernille Harder (right) is a key player for Denmark

Euro 2022 kicks off in one week's time, with Europe's best players descending on England for the tournament.

Who are the stars to look out for? BBC Sport has picked out 10 players who could have a big impact for their countries this summer.

All you need to know about Euro 2022
Alexia Putellas (Spain)

The rise of Barcelona's Alexia Putellas
Spain midfielder Alexia Putellas, 28, won the Ballon d'Or in November and led Barcelona to their first Women's Champions League title in 2021 and a second successive final in 2022. She is Spain's most-capped player, having surpassed 90 caps in October.

Former Barcelona head coach Lluis Cortes:

"Alexia is a player who you can always speak to about everything in the game, because she understands the game very well.

"I always said to the players, if you don't know what to do with the ball, pass to Alexia and she will know. She is able to make the best decisions every time."
The Alexia Show was cancelled due to knee injury (ACL)

Lena Oberdorf (Germany)

Lena Oberdorf
Lena Oberdorf made her Germany debut in 2019
Wolfsburg midfielder Lena Oberdorf, 20, was called up to the Germany squad for the 2019 World Cup aged just 17, while she was also named Player of the Tournament when Germany won the under-17s Euros in 2017.

Arsenal manager Jonas Eidevall, whose side lost to Wolfsburg in the Champions League quarter-finals in 2021-22:

"She is almost like the complete midfielder already. She covers a lot of ground, is very good on the ball and is a physical player. She plays on that thin line all the time of what is a foul and what is not.

"For me, she can very much be the player that makes this Germany team a contender to win the trophy again because she brings that winning mentality to the team."

Ada Hegerberg (Norway)

I feel like a little kid again when I play football - Hegerberg on her return
Striker Ada Hegerberg, 26, won the inaugural Ballon d'Or in 2018, having previously stepped down from international football in protest at what she saw as a lack of respect for female players in Norway. She is one of the most decorated footballers having already won six Champions League titles, seven French league titles, five French Cups and one Norwegian Cup.

England defender Lucy Bronze, who played with Hegerberg at Lyon:

"Ada is just a winner. The girl is crazy in that respect. I can remember games where she'd come up to me beforehand and say, 'You just get the ball in the box and I'll score'.

"She's obsessed with scoring. The thing that separates her is that crazy mentality. You can't really get in her head."

Vivianne Miedema (the Netherlands)

Arsenal striker Vivianne Miedema, 25, is the Netherlands' all-time top goalscorer and was part of the squad who won Euro 2017 and reached the 2019 World Cup final. She has won three domestic leagues titles - one with Arsenal and two with Bayern Munich. She is also the Women's Super League's record goalscorer and at 15, was the youngest player to debut in the Eredivisie.

Arsenal manager Jonas Eidevall:

"She has great game intelligence and great technique. What is also world class, but people don't necessarily see, is her physical ability.

"She's very explosive and strong. The combination of those make it very difficult for opponents to play against her."

Lauren Hemp (England)

Lauren Hemp
Lauren Hemp made her England debut in 2019 at the age of 19
Manchester City winger Lauren Hemp, 21, won a record fourth Young Player of the Year award this season after picking up the League Cup title, adding to the FA Cup medal she won in 2020. She has scored seven goals in 21 England appearances.

Manchester City captain Steph Houghton:

"I love training with her and playing with her. At this moment in time there's nobody in better form. Hopefully she shines on the biggest stage."

England team-mate Millie Bright:

"With her speed, every defender is going to dread going up against her one against one. We try and give her the ball as much as we can."

Wendie Renard (France)

Wendie Renard
Wendie Renard has captained Lyon in six Champions League final victories
Lyon defender Wendie Renard, 31, has won a record 14 French league titles and eight European Cups and is captain of club and country. She became the first player to make 100 Women's Champions League appearances in May, while she was also named in the international women's team of the decade and has made the FifPro World XI six times.

Former France and Lyon centre-back Laura Georges:

"She is a leader on and off the field and she will share her expertise with all players. She hates losing and she has been losing too much with the national team.

"She knows her responsibility and wants to win this title. She has missed too many titles."

Everton and France midfielder Kenza Dali:

"She is so inspirational. She is the first and last at training and works so hard. She's a natural leader and a proper captain."

Fridolina Rolfo (Sweden)

Fridolina Rolfo
Fridolina Rolfo played for Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg before joining Barcelona
Barcelona forward Fridolina Rolfo, 28, has won one league title with three different clubs and was named Swedish Player of the Year in 2021. She has also won two Olympic silver medals and a World Cup bronze medal with Sweden.

Swedish coach Jonas Eidevall:

"She is a powerful player. She has an excellent shot from distance and when she gets into positions where she is facing forward, and is getting up to speed with the ball, she is very hard to stop."

Rachel Furness (Northern Ireland)

Sports Personality of the Year: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp surprises Rachel Furness
Liverpool midfielder Rachel Furness, 34, is Northern Ireland's all-time leading goalscorer and was awarded the NI BBC Sports Personality of the Year award in 2021 after playing a key role in their qualification for a first major tournament.

Northern Ireland midfielder Caragh Hamilton:

"She is a leader on and off the pitch. Her passion is infectious and she gives everything each time she puts on a Northern Ireland shirt.

"She has produced some inspiring moments through the years and we are all hopeful she will produce more of them this summer."

Pernille Harder (Denmark)

Pernille Harder
Pernille Harder joined Chelsea on a three-year deal in September 2020 from Wolfsburg
Chelsea forward Pernille Harder, 29, became the world's most expensive female footballer in 2020 following her move to west London from Wolfsburg. She has been named Uefa Player of the Year twice, won six domestic league titles and has reached the Champions League final with two clubs. She was runner-up for the Ballon d'Or in 2018.

Former Wolfsburg team-mate Ella Masar:

"Pernille is always in the right place at the right time because she really watches the game. She works so hard, has a huge desire to win and she's one of the most intelligent attacking players I've seen.

"She creates so many goals for herself. You can't coach what she has - it's given."

Caroline Graham Hansen (Norway)

Caroline Graham Hansen
Caroline Graham Hansen has played in back-to-back Champions League finals with Barcelona
Barcelona midfielder Caroline Graham Hansen, 27, played a major role as a teenager as Norway reached the final of Euro 2013. She has won eight domestic league titles and one Champions League.

England defender Lucy Bronze, who will join Barcelona for the 2022-23 season:

"Caroline Graham Hansen has previously been the player for Norway to rely on. I can remember in the 2019 World Cup she played the game of her life before they played us. It's so hard to keep that level."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61868667
Last edited by Kabalega on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Women's Euro 2022- The Alexia Show & Wendie Renard Farewell?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

colomentality. The WAFCON starts this weekend and you choose to worship your oyinbo master's WAGS. Spamming us with some women euros.. pathetic . big shame .. what a confused human
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 pm colomentality. The WAFCON starts this weekend and you choose to worship your oyinbo master's WAGS. Spamming us with some women euros.. pathetic . big shame .. what a confused human
Why don't you start a WAFCON thread and post the names of the players who are as exciting on the green grass as Alexia or Wendie.

BTW, you getting a boner while drooling over the "Jane" 9ja oyibo, does not count for excitement. :taunt:

Talking of confusion..... WAGS are not players! :twisted:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

ogolo is a confused human being so nothing surprises me about his grandstanding
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

jette1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:55 pm ogolo is a confused human being so nothing surprises me about his grandstanding
Neither Bigpokey, nor you, bothered to start a WAFCON thread. I wonder why?
Your actions speak louder than your .... :taunt:
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

putellas, torn acl. bummer
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

King Futcha wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:36 pm putellas, torn acl. bummer
Nooo! :astonished: :astonished: :shock: :shock:
I hope she checks out the KneesOvertheToes guy.

That's it, I may not bother with these games ....
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Women's Euro 2022- The Wendie Renard Farewell?

Post by Kabalega »

Kabalega wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:26 pm Euro 2022: Who are the players to watch out for this summer?13 hours ago
By Emma Sanders
BBC Sport

Alexia Putellas, Wendie Renard, Fridolina Rolfo and Pernille Harder
Chelsea forward Pernille Harder (right) is a key player for Denmark

Euro 2022 kicks off in one week's time, with Europe's best players descending on England for the tournament.

Who are the stars to look out for? BBC Sport has picked out 10 players who could have a big impact for their countries this summer.

All you need to know about Euro 2022
Alexia Putellas (Spain)

The rise of Barcelona's Alexia Putellas
Spain midfielder Alexia Putellas, 28, won the Ballon d'Or in November and led Barcelona to their first Women's Champions League title in 2021 and a second successive final in 2022. She is Spain's most-capped player, having surpassed 90 caps in October.

Former Barcelona head coach Lluis Cortes:

"Alexia is a player who you can always speak to about everything in the game, because she understands the game very well.

"I always said to the players, if you don't know what to do with the ball, pass to Alexia and she will know. She is able to make the best decisions every time."

NB: The Alexia Show is cancelled due to a knee injury (ACL).

Lena Oberdorf (Germany)

Lena Oberdorf
Lena Oberdorf made her Germany debut in 2019
Wolfsburg midfielder Lena Oberdorf, 20, was called up to the Germany squad for the 2019 World Cup aged just 17, while she was also named Player of the Tournament when Germany won the under-17s Euros in 2017.

Arsenal manager Jonas Eidevall, whose side lost to Wolfsburg in the Champions League quarter-finals in 2021-22:

"She is almost like the complete midfielder already. She covers a lot of ground, is very good on the ball and is a physical player. She plays on that thin line all the time of what is a foul and what is not.

"For me, she can very much be the player that makes this Germany team a contender to win the trophy again because she brings that winning mentality to the team."

Ada Hegerberg (Norway)

I feel like a little kid again when I play football - Hegerberg on her return
Striker Ada Hegerberg, 26, won the inaugural Ballon d'Or in 2018, having previously stepped down from international football in protest at what she saw as a lack of respect for female players in Norway. She is one of the most decorated footballers having already won six Champions League titles, seven French league titles, five French Cups and one Norwegian Cup.

England defender Lucy Bronze, who played with Hegerberg at Lyon:

"Ada is just a winner. The girl is crazy in that respect. I can remember games where she'd come up to me beforehand and say, 'You just get the ball in the box and I'll score'.

"She's obsessed with scoring. The thing that separates her is that crazy mentality. You can't really get in her head."

Vivianne Miedema (the Netherlands)

Arsenal striker Vivianne Miedema, 25, is the Netherlands' all-time top goalscorer and was part of the squad who won Euro 2017 and reached the 2019 World Cup final. She has won three domestic leagues titles - one with Arsenal and two with Bayern Munich. She is also the Women's Super League's record goalscorer and at 15, was the youngest player to debut in the Eredivisie.

Arsenal manager Jonas Eidevall:

"She has great game intelligence and great technique. What is also world class, but people don't necessarily see, is her physical ability.

"She's very explosive and strong. The combination of those make it very difficult for opponents to play against her."

Lauren Hemp (England)

Lauren Hemp
Lauren Hemp made her England debut in 2019 at the age of 19
Manchester City winger Lauren Hemp, 21, won a record fourth Young Player of the Year award this season after picking up the League Cup title, adding to the FA Cup medal she won in 2020. She has scored seven goals in 21 England appearances.

Manchester City captain Steph Houghton:

"I love training with her and playing with her. At this moment in time there's nobody in better form. Hopefully she shines on the biggest stage."

England team-mate Millie Bright:

"With her speed, every defender is going to dread going up against her one against one. We try and give her the ball as much as we can."

Wendie Renard (France)

Wendie Renard
Wendie Renard has captained Lyon in six Champions League final victories
Lyon defender Wendie Renard, 31, has won a record 14 French league titles and eight European Cups and is captain of club and country. She became the first player to make 100 Women's Champions League appearances in May, while she was also named in the international women's team of the decade and has made the FifPro World XI six times.

Former France and Lyon centre-back Laura Georges:

"She is a leader on and off the field and she will share her expertise with all players. She hates losing and she has been losing too much with the national team.

"She knows her responsibility and wants to win this title. She has missed too many titles."

Everton and France midfielder Kenza Dali:

"She is so inspirational. She is the first and last at training and works so hard. She's a natural leader and a proper captain."

Fridolina Rolfo (Sweden)

Fridolina Rolfo
Fridolina Rolfo played for Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg before joining Barcelona
Barcelona forward Fridolina Rolfo, 28, has won one league title with three different clubs and was named Swedish Player of the Year in 2021. She has also won two Olympic silver medals and a World Cup bronze medal with Sweden.

Swedish coach Jonas Eidevall:

"She is a powerful player. She has an excellent shot from distance and when she gets into positions where she is facing forward, and is getting up to speed with the ball, she is very hard to stop."

Rachel Furness (Northern Ireland)

Sports Personality of the Year: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp surprises Rachel Furness
Liverpool midfielder Rachel Furness, 34, is Northern Ireland's all-time leading goalscorer and was awarded the NI BBC Sports Personality of the Year award in 2021 after playing a key role in their qualification for a first major tournament.

Northern Ireland midfielder Caragh Hamilton:

"She is a leader on and off the pitch. Her passion is infectious and she gives everything each time she puts on a Northern Ireland shirt.

"She has produced some inspiring moments through the years and we are all hopeful she will produce more of them this summer."

Pernille Harder (Denmark)

Pernille Harder
Pernille Harder joined Chelsea on a three-year deal in September 2020 from Wolfsburg
Chelsea forward Pernille Harder, 29, became the world's most expensive female footballer in 2020 following her move to west London from Wolfsburg. She has been named Uefa Player of the Year twice, won six domestic league titles and has reached the Champions League final with two clubs. She was runner-up for the Ballon d'Or in 2018.

Former Wolfsburg team-mate Ella Masar:

"Pernille is always in the right place at the right time because she really watches the game. She works so hard, has a huge desire to win and she's one of the most intelligent attacking players I've seen.

"She creates so many goals for herself. You can't coach what she has - it's given."

Caroline Graham Hansen (Norway)

Caroline Graham Hansen
Caroline Graham Hansen has played in back-to-back Champions League finals with Barcelona
Barcelona midfielder Caroline Graham Hansen, 27, played a major role as a teenager as Norway reached the final of Euro 2013. She has won eight domestic league titles and one Champions League.

England defender Lucy Bronze, who will join Barcelona for the 2022-23 season:

"Caroline Graham Hansen has previously been the player for Norway to rely on. I can remember in the 2019 World Cup she played the game of her life before they played us. It's so hard to keep that level."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61868667
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Women's Euro 2022- Wendie Renard Farewell?

Post by jette1 »

Watching Belgium vs Island;
Noticed the islandish women all have Doitter meaning daughter on back of their jerseys with their last name denoting whose daughter each person is I think. Everybody’s name has the word doitter at end of it.
This is kind of weird ?
It is even weirder that commentators have to say jones daughter, Emmanuel’s daughter, micheals daughter etc every time each is in possession of ball because its pronounced just daughter
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

jette1 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:24 pm Watching Belgium vs Island;
Noticed the islandish women all have Doitter meaning daughter on back of their jerseys with their last name denoting whose daughter each person is I think. Everybody’s name has the word doitter at end of it.
This is kind of weird ?
It is even weirder that commentators have to say jones daughter, Emmanuel’s daughter, micheals daughter etc every time each is in possession of ball because its pronounced just daughter
agreed jette i was getting confused.
Saints baby we did it
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

norway's doitter had one of the worst performances i've ever seen england 8 norway 0. i'm old enough to remember when norway was good.
Saints baby we did it
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 pm norway's doitter had one of the worst performances i've ever seen england 8 norway 0. i'm old enough to remember when norway was good.
8-0?!? Wow!

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

England thrash World no 2 Sweden 4-0 to reach the final and there’s been an upsurge in the number of Nigerians threatening to jump in the River Thames….
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

It’s coming ‘ome
It’s coming ‘ome
It’s comin’
Footballs coming home
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:46 am England thrash World no 2 Sweden 4-0 to reach the final and there’s been an upsurge in the number of Nigerians threatening to jump in the River Thames….
Oga, maybe you should wait before England actually win di cup before typing dis. Remember that saying in the good book about making a rod for your own back? :mrgreen:

Anyway congrats to the England women. Those goals were sublime, especially the third one! :clap: :clap: :clap: I was openmouthed when that went in.

Wha choo looking at?!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:46 am England thrash World no 2 Sweden 4-0 to reach the final and there’s been an upsurge in the number of Nigerians threatening to jump in the River Thames….
...I no go argue that.
Been deafening silence as the Englander women dey bulldoze thru their opponents while our Falcons dey flutter and incompetent NFA no fit pay them bonus.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...these elite European women go damage all of the African representatives at the world cup. There football is neat, like watching their men.

Meanwhile, all black France vs all white Germany, a ding dong affair right now.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...what-a-rocket from France to draw level, 1-1. Like I said they play like their men.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Oga, maybe you should wait before England actually win di cup before typing dis. Remember that saying in the good book about making a rod for your own back? :mrgreen:

Anyway congrats to the England women. Those goals were sublime, especially the third one! :clap: :clap: :clap: I was openmouthed when that went in.
The fact that they’ve reached the final is already too much for some.
Like I’ve always said, my satisfaction doesn’t come from any particular love for England, but from amusement at how some people get so distraught at another man’s (or in this specific case, woman’s) success.
I genuinely don’t get it.
But that’s just me sha…
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

mcal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 pm ...these elite European women go damage all of the African representatives at the world cup. There football is neat, like watching their men.
Proverbial bloodbath.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 am

Like I’ve always said, my satisfaction doesn’t come from any particular love for England, but from amusement at how some people get so distraught at another man’s (or in this specific case, woman’s) success.
But that’s just me sha…
...I wonder o.
We here in America enjoy when USA national teams do well as long as they are not competing against our beloved SE or SF or any other national side from Nigeria, but those naija folks in the UK get twisted when the queen's own are tapping good lada for field :woot: :woot:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Coach wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:58 am
mcal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 pm ...these elite European women go damage all of the African representatives at the world cup. There football is neat, like watching their men.
Proverbial bloodbath.
...scary :scared:
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 am

But that’s just me sha…
For the average ethnic minority to passionately support your 'nation' or even you local club you have to cross hurdles that indigenous supporters often do not have to cross, or at least find it easier to cross.

You support Chelsea, you turn a blind eye to John Terry.
You support Liverpool you turn a blind eye to Suarez.
and so on

Even in England's Women's football some you had the whole issue with Aluko. During this Championship you have elements mainly on Social media lauding the "all whites" claiming it is praise of the jersey but the undertone is clear. Anita Assante (former England player) did a very detailed article in the Guardian on the current issues wrt to Diversity in Women's foot ball.

For some people these are easy hurdles to cross, for some they aren't. Once you haven't crossed them, then it is easy for your support to head in over directions.

Not everyone is comfortable partially belonging, or being unwanted co-travellers.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."