Women's Euro 2022- Wendie Renard Farewell?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Women's Euro 2022- Wendie Renard Farewell?

Post by Scipio Africanus »

England vs Germany. Yuk! Can they both lose? :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

AreaDaddy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:16 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:46 am England thrash World no 2 Sweden 4-0 to reach the final and there’s been an upsurge in the number of Nigerians threatening to jump in the River Thames….
Oga, maybe you should wait before England actually win di cup before typing dis. Remember that saying in the good book about making a rod for your own back? :mrgreen:

Anyway congrats to the England women. Those goals were sublime, especially the third one! :clap: :clap: :clap: I was openmouthed when that went in.
The fact that they’ve reached the final is already too much for some.
Like I’ve always said, my satisfaction doesn’t come from any particular love for England, but from amusement at how some people get so distraught at another man’s (or in this specific case, woman’s) success.
I genuinely don’t get it.
But that’s just me sha…
For the average ethnic minority to passionately support your 'nation' or even you local club you have to cross hurdles that indigenous supporters often do not have to cross, or at least find it easier to cross.

You support Chelsea, you turn a blind eye to John Terry.
You support Liverpool you turn a blind eye to Suarez.
and so on

Even in England's Women's football some you had the whole issue with Aluko. During this Championship you have elements mainly on Social media lauding the "all whites" claiming it is praise of the jersey but the undertone is clear. Anita Assante (former England player) did a very detailed article in the Guardian on the current issues wrt to Diversity in Women's foot ball.

For some people these are easy hurdles to cross, for some they aren't. Once you haven't crossed them, then it is easy for your support to head in over directions.

Not everyone is comfortable partially belonging, or being unwanted co-travellers.
:clap:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Coach wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:38 am It’s coming ‘ome
It’s coming ‘ome
It’s comin’
Footballs coming home
:agree:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

AreaDaddy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:16 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:46 am England thrash World no 2 Sweden 4-0 to reach the final and there’s been an upsurge in the number of Nigerians threatening to jump in the River Thames….
Oga, maybe you should wait before England actually win di cup before typing dis. Remember that saying in the good book about making a rod for your own back? :mrgreen:

Anyway congrats to the England women. Those goals were sublime, especially the third one! :clap: :clap: :clap: I was openmouthed when that went in.
The fact that they’ve reached the final is already too much for some.
Like I’ve always said, my satisfaction doesn’t come from any particular love for England, but from amusement at how some people get so distraught at another man’s (or in this specific case, woman’s) success.
I genuinely don’t get it.
But that’s just me sha…
For the average ethnic minority to passionately support your 'nation' or even you local club you have to cross hurdles that indigenous supporters often do not have to cross, or at least find it easier to cross.

You support Chelsea, you turn a blind eye to John Terry.
You support Liverpool you turn a blind eye to Suarez.
and so on

Even in England's Women's football some you had the whole issue with Aluko. During this Championship you have elements mainly on Social media lauding the "all whites" claiming it is praise of the jersey but the undertone is clear. Anita Assante (former England player) did a very detailed article in the Guardian on the current issues wrt to Diversity in Women's foot ball.

For some people these are easy hurdles to cross, for some they aren't. Once you haven't crossed them, then it is easy for your support to head in over directions.

Not everyone is comfortable partially belonging, or being unwanted co-travellers.
I hear you, but the hypocrisy (or maybe not hypocrisy. Maybe just a selective amnesia or even some kind of cognitive dissonance) is when a Nigerian would rather support a Germany, Hungary or Russia rather than England.

I was in Germany for two days late last year and despite the best efforts of my German host, found myself feeling very uncomfortable in a wayIve never felt for 25 years anywhere in the UK. It was palpable, especially when I ventured out alone and popped into a local restaurant.

So what am I doing supporting a Germany over England simply because I remember the racist abuse some idiots hurled at me as they sped by in Cornwall? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "