Germany should win purely because of English commentary

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Germany should win purely because of English commentary

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Comrade Machel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:25 am Congrats to the English girls. :clap:

Damn, they won something major before the men (in modern footie). :boo:

Next stop, the men's team will win a major tournament. World cup or the Euros.

I sense a wind of change regarding tournament success in English football.

I'll kill myself if that happens :curse:
No need. It will never happen. :mrgreen:

England could crash out at the group stage. 0-1 against USA, 0-0 against Iran and 1-2 against Wales. :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:12 pm
mate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:52 pm
mate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm I enjoyed the game a lot. It was a battle of equals settled by luck, as both teams missed good opportunities, while Kelly got really lucky to get that scrappy 2nd goal off a set piece. The referee was terrible, making bad mistakes against both teams...but really messed up in not ordering VAR review for a clear handball against England the way penalties are called these days.

Like many of you, I also think women's football has improved. Still has a ways to go. Not all the goalies are good, not all players can shoot hard, and some girls actually are afraid of heading when the ball is moving fast from height.

Both these teams can challenges the USA, a team that's dominated simply because they've played and have top athletes. But I think this represents an inflection point, where strong football cultures investing money will start to edge the USA.

We will see.
The USA has held the edge of superior fitness and mentality over the rest of the women's field for a long time. Now teams like Germany can match them for fitness and killer instinct, then you have teams like Brazil who are always dangerous, but I still think the USA has the psychological edge over everyone else in the women's game. The next women's world cup will probably be the most competitive ever.

I'm also looking forward to the next WC. I agree with you on fitness and killer instinct regarding the USA...but the burden of proof will be on others to beat the USA when it counts. No doubt, fitness is there, but that confidence and swagger is the next step.

France is a great example. I believe they can match anybody now physically. But that killer instinct isn't there. England is now interesting here, as they clearly were confident. It will be interesting to see if they maintain the momentum, as here they were home field.

Germany for sure is near complete. But surprisingly they blew some good chances yesterday. 1 breakaway in particular, where a speedy German girl outran but could barely get a shot off.

My ultimate take is that UEFA will start to pipeline girls like men. The talents will play full time and forgo advanced schooling. Like the USA men, the USA women will no match this...and hence will be a matter of time.

American girls still will go to college. They won't opt for the academies like others will, full time during HS. By the way, that's how it is for Croatian boys...these kids are in full time subsidized academies, rolling the dice on football by age of 11. They get guaranteed trade school later if they fall out.

But I can see why Americans reluctant to escalate like this.

Wrong.

They're already going direct

I don't see this at the men's level at scale, let alone women. I know quite a few female footballers and pretty much all see football as a college path. I haven't checked in a while...but I bet small Croatia has more young footballers in full time academies through HS than the USA.

I haven't heard of any such academies for women. Again, I could be wrong. But with Europeans, this definitely will be the way for women.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm
mate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm I enjoyed the game a lot. It was a battle of equals settled by luck, as both teams missed good opportunities, while Kelly got really lucky to get that scrappy 2nd goal off a set piece. The referee was terrible, making bad mistakes against both teams...but really messed up in not ordering VAR review for a clear handball against England the way penalties are called these days.

Like many of you, I also think women's football has improved. Still has a ways to go. Not all the goalies are good, not all players can shoot hard, and some girls actually are afraid of heading when the ball is moving fast from height.

Both these teams can challenges the USA, a team that's dominated simply because they've played and have top athletes. But I think this represents an inflection point, where strong football cultures investing money will start to edge the USA.

We will see.
The USA has held the edge of superior fitness and mentality over the rest of the women's field for a long time. Now teams like Germany can match them for fitness and killer instinct, then you have teams like Brazil who are always dangerous, but I still think the USA has the psychological edge over everyone else in the women's game. The next women's world cup will probably be the most competitive ever.

I'm also looking forward to the next WC. I agree with you on fitness and killer instinct regarding the USA...but the burden of proof will be on others to beat the USA when it counts. No doubt, fitness is there, but that confidence and swagger is the next step.

France is a great example. I believe they can match anybody now physically. But that killer instinct isn't there. England is now interesting here, as they clearly were confident. It will be interesting to see if they maintain the momentum, as here they were home field.

Germany for sure is near complete. But surprisingly they blew some good chances yesterday. 1 breakaway in particular, where a speedy German girl outran but could barely get a shot off.

My ultimate take is that UEFA will start to pipeline girls like men. The talents will play full time and forgo advanced schooling. Like the USA men, the USA women will no match this...and hence will be a matter of time.

American girls still will go to college. They won't opt for the academies like others will, full time during HS. By the way, that's how it is for Croatian boys...these kids are in full time subsidized academies, rolling the dice on football by age of 11. They get guaranteed trade school later if they fall out.

Wrong.

I don't see this at the men's level at scale, let alone women. I know quite a few female footballers and pretty much all see football as a college path. I haven't checked in a while...but I bet small Croatia has more young footballers in full time academies through HS than the USA.

I haven't heard of any such academies for women. Again, I could be wrong. But with Europeans, this definitely will be the way for women.

Your are most definitely wrong.

First on the men side, the college draft still exists, but its significance is waning almost by the minute. Most MLS players are coming thru the academies atm...

On the women side, it is still predominantly college based. But even that is changing with the steady growth of new women soccer franchises.

Mid to long term I expect the European women to challenge the US even more. They are benefitting from the legacy and infrastructures of men football.

You see that especially from countries such as Spain.

Its on that technical level that the Europeans retain an advantage. But the US maintains its physical dominance of the sport...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:49 pm

No need. It will never happen. :mrgreen:

England could crash out at the group stage. 0-1 against USA, 0-0 against Iran and 1-2 against Wales. :mrgreen:
...like their women shocked many Nigerians, their men go follow suit this November.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:30 pm

We will see.

Wrong.

First on the men side, the college draft still exists, but its significance is waning almost by the minute. Most MLS players are coming thru the academies atm...

On the women side, it is still predominantly college based. But even that is changing with the steady growth of new women soccer franchises.

Mid to long term I expect the European women to challenge the US even more. They are benefitting from the legacy and infrastructures of men football.

Its on that technical level that the Europeans retain an advantage. But the US maintains its physical dominance of the sport...
One of my players was part of USSF programs until he fell out by about age 13. He had been both outcompted and wouldn’t commit the time.

Even with the survivors , I still don’t see the engagement as matching that of Croatia. Footballers there get their 10k hours earlier. Doing special education to facilitate football, not the other way around.

I’m more than open to reading a source on this. For the USA. I get college isn’t the only path, but even the USA academy system didn’t seem as immersive at scale as European.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It's been a long time coming, though. We can see the progression. They started winning youth tournaments (a clear sign of going back to improve the grassroots). They got to the European finals and only lost on penalties.

I predict England will win one of the next three World cups.

They've done a lot in promoting the game in the English-speaking world. I think they deserve something. :D
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Orion wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:21 am

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It's been a long time coming, though. We can see the progression. They started winning youth tournaments (a clear sign of going back to improve the grassroots). They got to the European finals and only lost on penalties.

I predict England will win one of the next three World cups.

They've done a lot in promoting the game in the English-speaking world. I think they deserve something. :D
To be honest England should have obliterated Italy, a creaking and patched together team, in that Euro final. Just unleash the England youngsters in an ultra-attacking formation against the ancient Bonucci and Chiellini and that would have been at least a 3-0 England win. Southgate messed up that opportunity with his ultra conservative tactics. Has he learned his lesson? We will see ...

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:32 pm ...kai, 1 min plus to go, some Nigerians go jump off the cliff o.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Thats the real entertainment in all this.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

DON'T WORRY. WE WILL BURY YOU, WRAPPED IN THE ENGLISH FLAG. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am

DON'T WORRY. WE WILL BURY YOU, WRAPPED IN THE ENGLISH FLAG. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:03 am
txj wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:30 pm

We will see.

Wrong.

One of my players was part of USSF programs until he fell out by about age 13. He had been both outcompted and wouldn’t commit the time.

Even with the survivors , I still don’t see the engagement as matching that of Croatia. Footballers there get their 10k hours earlier. Doing special education to facilitate football, not the other way around.

I’m more than open to reading a source on this. For the USA. I get college isn’t the only path, but even the USA academy system didn’t seem as immersive at scale as European.

That's a different issue. And it most certainly is not at the scale of Europe.
I'm just pointing out that the trend is shifted to the academies.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

mcal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:47 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

We will see.

Wrong.

Also, in USA (unlike boys/men), for girls/ women, soccer is a huge sport and their grassroots organization is on a different level. Any little girl that shows promise in soccer has a more than fair chance of preferring soccer over other options. So the talent pool for women's soccer to very rich to say the least.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

US DOMINANCE HAS DIMINISHED

A match between the USA and England (or even the Netherlands and Spain) for me is now a toss up unlike in recent past when the only real competition came from Germany and France. In Asia, China used to offer legitimate competition but not lately but Japan still remains credible. And don't forget Australia with Brazil a notch below. (What say you, Africa?)
Bell