Asamoah Gyan eyes shock return to ghana squad for World Cup in Qatar

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Asamoah Gyan eyes shock return to ghana squad for World Cup in Qatar

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/62524931

Asamoah Gyan is bidding to make a shock return to the international fold as he eyes a spot in Ghana's squad for this year's World Cup in Qatar.

The unattached 36-year-old won the last of his 107 caps for the Black Stars in July 2019, and has not played a club game since an outing in April 2021 for Accra-based side Legon Cities.

But the former Udinese, Rennes and Sunderland forward says he is embarking on a fitness programme with the hope of appearing at what would be his fourth World Cup finals.

"Talent wise, everything is there already, so I just have to prepare physically," he told the BBC World Service.

"The World Cup is every footballer's dream. I think I've got a bit of energy left in me to prove myself once again.

"I've been out for almost two years now due to injuries but I just need to get my body back in shape. It's an eight-week programme and according to my physical instructor I'm improving faster than he thought.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Asamoah Gyan eyes shock return to ghana squad for World Cup in Qatar

Post by Bigpokey24 »

'I haven't spoken to anybody'
Gyan has scored 51 goals for Ghana, and six of those have come at the World Cup, where he featured in 2006, 2010 and 2014.

Those feats make him both his country's all-time record goalscorer, and Africa's top goalscorer at the World Cup finals.

He turns 37 two days before Ghana's Group H opener against Portugal on 24 November, but says his age is no barrier to playing in Qatar, citing the example of another African great.

"I haven't announced my retirement," he said.

"Anything can happen, you know. It's happened before, talking about Cameroon in 1994, with Roger Milla coming back from retirement to play in a World Cup."

However, Gyan has not held conversations with Ghana coach Otto Addo or technical director Chris Hughton, who have been busy bolstering the squad's options with members of the diaspora such as Brighton defender Tariq Lamptey and Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams.

"Honestly I haven't spoken to anybody at all," Gyan said.

"It's part of the plan. I just want to make sure I see how my body reacts first. I just need to get to some level and then I can say I'm ready.

"Everything looks positive, so we'll see what happens. There might be a surprise."

Gyan has added motivation to return given Ghana have been drawn alongside Uruguay, who knocked the Black Stars out on penalties in the quarter-finals in 2010.

Gyan could have won that tie from the penalty spot after Luis Suarez was sent off for a goal-line handball deep in extra time, but his effort skimmed the top of the crossbar and went over.

The forward returned to score in the shootout but Uruguay won 4-2, denying Ghana the chance to become the first African side to reach a World Cup semi-final.

"The whole world knows what happened," Gyan said.

"When the draw was made and they saw Uruguay in Ghana's group [in Qatar] the only thing that came into mind was revenge. Ghanaians want revenge.

"Personally, I just sat back and smiled because I understand how the game goes. What happened in 2010 is behind me [but] maybe there might be another opportunity."

Ghana will not face Uruguay until their third and final Group H game, with Gyan's former international team-mate John Paintsil saying the side should instead focus their attentions on Portugal and second group opponents South Korea.

But Ghana FA president Kurt Okraku declared after the World Cup draw was made in April that "it will be revenge time", and revenge is also the operative word for Gyan.

"When the time comes, and I'm part of the team, and we play against Uruguay, you never know what's going to happen," Gyan said.

"Obviously, I'm human. I have that at back of my mind that maybe if I get another chance I can be able to prove myself.

"The most important game for Ghanaians right now is the game against Uruguay. Because this is at the back of everybody's mind, going for revenge."
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I hope he comes back to play for Ghana at the WC. That will increase the comedic factor of Ghana's WC. :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I blame Eguavoin for this shhhiiit show. I still cant believe these clowns qualified ahead of us.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:43 pm I blame Eguavoin for this shhhiiit show. I still cant believe these clowns qualified ahead of us.
Maybe Eguavoen gave them the idea that you can revive dead horses with his Onazi call up.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

packerland wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:12 am
bret- hart wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:43 pm I blame Eguavoin for this shhhiiit show. I still cant believe those clowns qualified ahead of us.
Maybe Eguavoen gave them the idea that you can revive dead horses with his Onazi call up.
Honestly im like maybe its best we sat this one out. Had we qualified the likes of Onazi, Ogu, Joel Obi etc would have been recalled in the name of "experience"
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

bret- hart wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:15 am
packerland wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:12 am
bret- hart wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:43 pm I blame Eguavoin for this shhhiiit show. I still cant believe those clowns qualified ahead of us.
Honestly im like maybe its best we sat this one out. Had we qualified the likes of Onazi, Ogu, Joel Obi etc would have been recalled in the name of "experience"
You already know some shenanigans was gonna go down. I don't trust Eguavoen and Salisu. Not including Musa and Shehu, at least 6 players that have no business in the team would've made the roster.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Reminds me of African presidents that want to continue at all costs. The guy was well past his prime anyway. Any attempt to enter the field at the WC will undoubtedly end in serious embarrassment for himself and comedic value for the rest of the football world. I hope someone pulls him aside and has a word with him
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

He just wants to make the news.
Mark my word: Ghana will never include him in the squad
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We have our own Musa that cannot quit. Don't be surprised if he starts talking about 2026.

Gyan is a clown.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

This is good and will make the laffing thread sweeter in December... see as I dey laff that Patience Ozokwor evil laff in anticipation :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

He wants to do a Roger Milla
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:42 pm This is good and will make the laffing thread sweeter in December... see as I dey laff that Patience Ozokwor evil laff in anticipation :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Dream on!!!
we are not a banana republic (like Naija) where the president makes the selection
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Is Cameroon adding any foreign mercenaries to their World Cup team or is it just Ghana? I think Brentford’s Mbeumo is eligible to play for them.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

packerland wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:33 am Is Cameroon adding any foreign mercenaries to their World Cup team or is it just Ghana? I think Brentford’s Mbeumo is eligible to play for them.
All the 5 African countries will have mercenaries
  • Cameroon - Jean-Eric Choupo-Moting(German), Jean-Charles Castelletto (French), Karl Louis-Brillant Toko-Ekambi (French), James Edward Manfred Léa Siliki(French)
    Ghana - None so far....
    Senegal -Bouna Junior Sarr(French), Édouard Mendy(French)
    Morocco -Yassine Bounou (Canadian), Munir El-Haddadi Mohamed(Spaniard)
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Rawlings wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:24 am
packerland wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:33 am Is Cameroon adding any foreign mercenaries to their World Cup team or is it just Ghana? I think Brentford’s Mbeumo is eligible to play for them.
  • Cameroon - Jean-Eric Choupo-Moting(German), Jean-Charles Castelletto (French), Karl Louis-Brillant Toko-Ekambi (French), James Edward Manfred Léa Siliki(French)
    Ghana - None so far....
These guys have been playing for those countries for a while now, while yours are just switching over only because you qualified for the WC, just like KPB before them…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:54 pm
Rawlings wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:24 am
    Ghana - None so far....
These guys have been playing for those countries for a while now, while yours are just switching over only because you qualified for the WC, just like KPB before them…
Once a mercenary always a mercenary