Erling Haaland - Pele and Maradona combined!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Erling Haaland - Pele and Maradona combined!

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

You may throw in Ronaldo in there too (the real one)

The man is a scoring machine!

Last edited by Field Marshall Ogolo on Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Erling Haaland - Pele and Maradona combined!

Post by Rawlings »

Victor Osimhen is better than Haaland (according to most Nigerians)
Several weeks ago, at a party, I asked this question and the result was overwhelming among Nigerians

You see the type of people u are dealing with on CE
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Rawlings wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:32 pm Victor Osimhen is better than Haaland (according to most Nigerians)
Several weeks ago, at a party, I asked this question and the result was overwhelming among Nigerians

your mumurity has grown exponentially sotay you are now high on the spectrum for ndi ghey. Ewu ewu kumasi...aboa :D
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 pm You may throw in Ronaldo in there too (the real one)

:mad:
Your mumurity ( :D I just learned that word, and it is very appropriate to use on you :biggrin: ) is too much. Haaland is indeed a goalscoring machine, but he does not have the ball skills of Pele or Maradona. He is a born finisher, not an attacking midfielder like the two contenders for GOAT.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

ohsee wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:59 am
Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 pm You may throw in Ronaldo in there too (the real one)

Your mumurity ( :D I just learned that word, and it is very appropriate to use on you :biggrin: ) is too much. Haaland is indeed a goalscoring machine, but he does not have the ball skills of Pele or Maradona. He is a born finisher, not an attacking midfielder like the two contenders for GOAT.
Ohsee. It's not how beautiful you play (Pele, Maradona or Ronaldinho) but how many goals you put behind the net. That era is long past! Remember how Brazil played a joga bonito against Germany in 2014? Joga bonito met teutonic efficiency and the result was 1-7! Just like Raila won the elections with crowds but lost when it came to counting the votes! Results matter!
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Rawlings wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:32 pm Victor Osimhen is better than Haaland (according to most Nigerians)

Osimhen? The one who keeps on trying bicycle kicks all over the place? Do you know he cost Naija a place in the W.C with his wild kicks? Someone needs to sit him down and talk to him. He will cost Naija dearly one day :D :D
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:00 pm

Ohsee. It's not how beautiful you play (Pele, Maradona or Ronaldinho) but how many goals you put behind the net. That era is long past! Remember how Brazil played a joga bonito against Germany in 2014? Joga bonito met teutonic efficiency and the result was 1-7! Just like Raila won the elections with crowds but lost when it came to counting the votes! Results matter!
Yes, but what if you put many goals into the net like Pele and play beautifully as well? :biggrin: :biggrin: Let us see if 22 year old Haaland will match Pele's goalscoring record in the Campeonato Paulista of 58 goals in 38 games at age 18. :thumbs: All done with skillz, styles, flicks and tricks. :thumbs: And then win competitions galore on top of it, like World Cup, Intercontinental Cup, Paulista, etcheteram, etcheteram :biggrin: Biko, Pele is not human, he is a UFO. :rotf:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Mazi, Erling is neither Pele nor Maradona, he is however, a behemoth akin to the coastline raiding Norsemen of Ancient England. Too big, too strong, too blonde. The Adriano analogy is more in regard to stature and comparative advantage. Monsieur was as big and burly as they come, more left foot than Christy Brown. Splendid.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Coach wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:58 am @Mazi, Erling is neither Pele nor Maradona, he is however, a behemoth akin to the coastline raiding Norsemen of Ancient England. Too big, too strong, too blonde. The Adriano analogy is more in regard to stature and comparative advantage. Monsieur was as big and burly as they come, more left foot than Christy Brown. Splendid.
… nor even Ronaldo Nazario❗️

Cheers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^and yet may be every bit a legend told before the campfire. Haaland has solid footing, the most handsome of advantages. Just as he no Maradona, he is no Mbappe, but one can’t help but feel, ego will consume the latter. Whole.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Pele no doubt for me is #1 in statistics. And Imagine if he had the sports science of today? He is one of the players who would easily have maintained his relative edge, having all the peak physical, mental, and football attributes.

Just keep in mind it was a different game back then. Today players run 9km-13k/game. Back then it was a fraction of this. Players on average are faster, stronger, fitter, smarter, and, yes, more skilled.

Pele had so much space and time against fewer and slower defenders. Ok, they broke legs back then for sure. Violence was allowed. Again, different game.

So who is the true #1? Haaland isn't even in the debate. It's Pele vs Maradona for me. THB, Diego for me had the greater skill, playing to the heights against not only violence, but limited time and space...as he was a focal point for defenders.

Anyways, if you magically teleport Brazil 1970 vs Spain 2010, the game would be over after 20 minutes. Spain would just run them off the pitch. 75%+ possession, way many more passes, just wouldn't be close.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

mate wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:15 am Pele no doubt for me is #1 in statistics. And Imagine if he had the sports science of today? He is one of the players who would easily have maintained his relative edge, having all the peak physical, mental, and football attributes.

Just keep in mind it was a different game back then. Today players run 9km-13k/game. Back then it was a fraction of this. Players on average are faster, stronger, fitter, smarter, and, yes, more skilled.

Pele had so much space and time against fewer and slower defenders. Ok, they broke legs back then for sure. Violence was allowed. Again, different game.

So who is the true #1? Haaland isn't even in the debate. It's Pele vs Maradona for me. THB, Diego for me had the greater skill, playing to the heights against not only violence, but limited time and space...as he was a focal point for defenders.

Anyways, if you magically teleport Brazil 1970 vs Spain 2010, the game would be over after 20 minutes. Spain would just run them off the pitch. 75%+ possession, way many more passes, just wouldn't be close.
It should be possible to simulate a game between both these two teams today with intelligent AI. Plug everything we know about Brazil 1970 and Spain 2010(video clips, new reports, statistics on each player, even venue of the match) into a model and let it run.

Wha choo looking at?!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

ohsee wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:16 am

Yes, but what if you put many goals into the net like Pele and play beautifully as well? :biggrin: :biggrin: Let us see if 22 year old Haaland will match Pele's goalscoring record in the Campeonato Paulista of 58 goals in 38 games at age 18. :thumbs: All done with skillz, styles, flicks and tricks. :thumbs: And then win competitions galore on top of it, like World Cup, Intercontinental Cup, Paulista, etcheteram, etcheteram :biggrin: Biko, Pele is not human, he is a UFO. :rotf:
The guy couldn't qualify Norway to the world cup :lol: :lol:

I'm just not a fan of his football, at all. Too robotic :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:52 am
mate wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:15 am Pele no doubt for me is #1 in statistics. And Imagine if he had the sports science of today? He is one of the players who would easily have maintained his relative edge, having all the peak physical, mental, and football attributes.

It should be possible to simulate a game between both these two teams today with intelligent AI. Plug everything we know about Brazil 1970 and Spain 2010(video clips, new reports, statistics on each player, even venue of the match) into a model and let it run.

Great point. I’m sure Spain would win the majority of the simulations. I’m guessing the difference in the principal components would be too great and therefore a higher confidence factor.

It be interesting to see a model that normalized for nutrition, training, equipment, and so. Of course, that’d be complicated and less reliable.

At some point, football really took it to the nth degree. For me it was mid 2000s. Good players got protected. Fairer if still imperfect refereeing.

Beckenbauer once said he’d never make it today. He said even with modern training, he just doesn’t have enough natural speed. Pele had elite athletic potential in contrast.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

I wish people would move on past stereotypes and watch the actual games, Brazil didn't play Joga Bonito in 2014, they labored their way through and got smashed by Germany (like I predicted).
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:30 pm

I wish people would move on past stereotypes and watch the actual games, Brazil didn't play Joga Bonito in 2014, they labored their way through and got smashed by Germany (like I predicted).
It's Ogolo remember. Ogolo knows nothing about football.

Wha choo looking at?!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Always interesting when people try comparing apples and oranges. Like comparing
'kamikaze' pilots with those able to land on carriers and deliver an MOAB on target.

With Haaland, though his talent is immense for the modern game, I wish we can
wait to see how many titles he can help his teams win. He did not qualify Norway
for Quatar, and is yet to win any significant title thus the comparative greatness is
premature.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Oga mate, this is not a valid argument. There was nothing Maradona could do that Pele could not do better. :biggrin: And much Pele could do that Maradona could not no matter how hard he tried, such as that Pele was a superb header of the ball, able to leap over giant defenders and power the ball into the net, could shoot accurately and bend the ball with both feet, and had world class sprinter speed (100 yards in 11 seconds), not just an ability to accelerate over short distances. By the way, defences were organized to specifically stop Pele by limiting space.

We've dealt with all this before in numerous Pele v Maradona debates. Maradona was no great shakes in WC 1982 where he was given all the space he needed and did nada, or the Gold Cup of 1980 where he was paraded before the world for the first time and was a total bust. I don't know how old you were in 1982, but after that WC where Maradona had been touted as the next great thing after O Rei, everyone dismissed him as a fake arse pri-Maradona due to his incredible failure to even dribble one person. :lol: To use a basketball comparison, Maradona was Larry Bird, and Pele was like Mike. :biggrin: :thumbs: Given Maradona's limitations, yes, he accomplished a lot. But the experts who voted Pele the GOAT at the turn of the millennium were 100% right. :thumbs:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:52 am

Oga Skip, computer AI that has Rocky Marciano beating Ali? :biggrin: With the same physical preparation, the same diet, the same acclimatizing to modern football, et cetera, and both playing 4-3-3, the Brazil of 1970 would beat the Spain of 2010 with the greatest of ease. To have terrifically skilful history class ball players like Pele, Jairzinho, Tostao, Rivelino and Gerson coming at you from all angles is no small tin. Who did Spain have? Xavi and Iniesta. Two greats, but....The only place wey I gree about past and present team is in club football where the Barcelona of Pep plus Messi 2009 would have beaten any Santastico (Santos Futebol Clube) plus Pele team of the 1960s.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:42 am

Oga mate, this is not a valid argument. There was nothing Maradona could do that Pele could not do better. :biggrin: And much Pele could do that Maradona could not no matter how hard he tried, such as that Pele was a superb header of the ball, able to leap over giant defenders and power the ball into the net, could shoot accurately and bend the ball with both feet, and had world class sprinter speed (100 yards in 11 seconds), not just an ability to accelerate over short distances. By the way, defences were organized to specifically stop Pele by limiting space.

We've dealt with all this before in numerous Pele v Maradona debates. Maradona was no great shakes in WC 1982 where he was given all the space he needed and did nada, or the Gold Cup of 1980 where he was paraded before the world for the first time and was a total bust. I don't know how old you were in 1982, but after that WC where Maradona had been touted as the next great thing after O Rei, everyone dismissed him as a fake arse pri-Maradona due to his incredible failure to even dribble one person. :lol: To use a basketball comparison, Maradona was Larry Bird, and Pele was like Mike. :biggrin: :thumbs: Given Maradona's limitations, yes, he accomplished a lot. But the experts who voted Pele the GOAT at the turn of the millennium were 100% right. :thumbs:
1982 was my 1st WC. I saw vividly how Diego was truly special...and how he was BRUTALIZED, especially by Italy, who funny enough also played some good football starting the 2nd round.

Anyways, Diego was for me a better dribbler than Pele, especially tight space against multiple defenders. And he was better as a tiki-taka type passer. Pele was definitely a better athlete, shooter, and opportunist, much more devastation in an open field. Pele had greater charisma too, not just in raw charisma...but a magic that inspired his world class teammates as well...whereas teammates relied on Diego to carry them, if this makes sense.

Pele at the WC had so many great teammates, no way was he covered the way Diego was on lesser Argentina teams. Same with Napoli. I don't know, it's an eternal debate...but these 2 stand head and shoulders above the rest.

For now.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mate wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:18 pm
ohsee wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:42 am

1982 was my 1st WC. I saw vividly how Diego was truly special...and how he was BRUTALIZED, especially by Italy, who funny enough also played some good football starting the 2nd round.

Anyways, Diego was for me a better dribbler than Pele, especially tight space against multiple defenders. And he was better as a tiki-taka type passer. Pele was definitely a better athlete, shooter, and opportunist, much more devastation in an open field. Pele had greater charisma too, not just in raw charisma...but a magic that inspired his world class teammates as well...whereas teammates relied on Diego to carry them, if this makes sense.

Pele at the WC had so many great teammates, no way was he covered the way Diego was on lesser Argentina teams. Same with Napoli. I don't know, it's an eternal debate...but these 2 stand head and shoulders above the rest.

For now.
Chief, Diego was not special at the 82 WC. Gentile did not have to brutalize him at that WC because Maradona did nothing against that great World Cup giant, El Salvador, a team beaten 10-1 by Hungary. Brazil gave him lots of space, and he did nothing at the Brazil game. Diego was not a better dribbler than Pele in tight spaces. You have not seen enough Pele games to make that determination. Pele before 1966 was a masterful dribbler. After he was brutalized in the 1966 WC, he stopped drawing attention to himself through excessive dribbling.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

One thing is for sure: Haaland does not belong in the same sentence as Pele and Maradona. That's crazy.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

If all that’s being considered are finishing skills then Paul Onuachu should be right up there with Haaland; true, he hasn’t been quite as prolific this season as he was last season but the season is still very young🤔❗️

Cheers.