Has parity arrived in women’s soccer? USWNT lose 2 in a row

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Has parity arrived in women’s soccer? USWNT lose 2 in a row

Post by Damunk »

King Futcha wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm
mcal wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:19 pm ...2 US women friendly losses were both abroad, at home they are unbeatable.
Foreign land culture shock must have overtaken this set of players as opposed to players of the 90s and 2000s.
They win anywhere anytime.
This coming women world cup may be a shocker for them if they don't adapt, bring back the "can do spirit".
we are going to a transitional period, megan and that lot need to make way for the next generation, once they are out of the picture no one will beat us.
Very interesting how you use ‘we’ and ‘us’ when referring to the US teams. I’ve noticed it a lot with Americans of recent African descent.
You’d hardly ever hear a British-Nigerian use those terms - except maybe on a public forum, like in the media.
But this is why it is so difficult for US-based Nigerians to understand how the heritage-nationality dynamic is markedly different here in the UK.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:08 am
mcal wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:19 pm ...2 US women friendly losses were both abroad, at home they are unbeatable.
Foreign land culture shock must have overtaken this set of players as opposed to players of the 90s and 2000s.
This coming women world cup may be a shocker for them if they don't adapt, bring back the "can do spirit".
we are going to a transitional period, megan and that lot need to make way for the next generation, once they are out of the picture no one will beat us.
Very interesting how you use ‘we’ and ‘us’ when referring to the US teams. I’ve noticed it a lot with Americans of recent African descent.
You’d hardly ever hear a British-Nigerian use those terms - except maybe on a public forum, like in the media.
But this is why it is so difficult for US-based Nigerians to understand how the heritage-nationality dynamic is markedly different here in the UK.
what the heck !!!!! dem really do you yonda
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

I've been on this forum since 1961 and you don't know I am not Naija? I say we because I am a black man who knows no other nation, all those records of my ancestry have been erased through history.

thank you.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...UK-Nigerians are there for the 24/7 electricity, good roads, healthcare, and timely pay.
Yes, I have noticed y'all do not relate too much to the country you reside in.
I worked briefly in the UK (RAF Lakenheath) in the early 90s and I see why.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

mcal wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:32 pm
...UK-Nigerians are there for the 24/7 electricity, good roads, healthcare, and timely pay.
My guess is that European nations have but and strong indigenous cultures. The USA, not to open a can of worms, doesn't...so the USA belongs to everybody, even immigrants that just land.

Of course, our USA men football teams suck. Funny, because my wife and I were discussing this yesterday...the USA doesn't do as well in sports other nations care about. I think it's because we emphasize raw athleticism over the skills, teamwork, and tactics of a sport.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

mate wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 pm
My guess is that European nations have but and strong indigenous cultures. The USA, not to open a can of worms, doesn't...so the USA belongs to everybody, even immigrants that just land.

Of course, our USA men football teams suck. Funny, because my wife and I were discussing this yesterday...the USA doesn't do as well in sports other nations care about. I think it's because we emphasize raw athleticism over the skills, teamwork, and tactics of a sport.
what are you on about my good man. you know how much skills, teamwork and tactics go into football? many of the best athletes to never made it in the nfl, john ross for example ran the fastest 40 time in nfl history, he was out of the league within a few years.

same thing for basketball you can't get by on athleticism alone, that can only get you so far.

you severely underestimate the amount of brains it takes to play football.

the rest of the world cares but a kid, which options do they have? they can pick up a soccer ball, and maybe a basketball. in the US you can pick up a basketball, a baseball, a football, even a hockey puck, most choose the first three sports to pursue before they think soccer. if soccer was the number one sport in the US without question the US would be the best team in world.
Saints baby we did it
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:45 pm
mate wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 pm

what are you on about my good man. you know how much skills, teamwork and tactics go into football? many of the best athletes to never made it in the nfl, john ross for example ran the fastest 40 time in nfl history, he was out of the league within a few years.

same thing for basketball you can't get by on athleticism alone, that can only get you so far.

you severely underestimate the amount of brains it takes to play football.

the rest of the world cares but a kid, which options do they have? they can pick up a soccer ball, and maybe a basketball. in the US you can pick up a basketball, a baseball, a football, even a hockey puck, most choose the first three sports to pursue before they think soccer. if soccer was the number one sport in the US without question the US would be the best team in world.

I can't see how this is possible. The USA seems to get beat in sports that other countries care about. It's happening with women's soccer, slowly but surely...so why would the USA men be any different.

As for American football, I love the sport and follow it a lot. Especially the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. My son goes to a top football high school and next year might try out as a kicker. I get your point that it's not brain dead, no sport is...but the scouts and coaches put a lot on raw athleticism, maybe too much.

BTW: some great athletes just suck at a sport. I've seen great track athletes bomb in American football, so they go back to track. I don't think it changes the point.

Man, you really think the USA would be #1?

All my SEC fan friends tell me this!

:)
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:45 pm if soccer was the number one sport in the US without question the US would be the best team in world.
You sound even more arrogant than any American born US citizen, including Carl Lewis. To gauge just how immodest you sound, consider that baseball is America’s number one sport but the US is not the best baseball team in the world. She is currently ranked 5th in th WBSC rankings. So, there❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

King Futcha wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:58 pm
I've been on this forum since 1961 and you don't know I am not Naija? I say we because I am a black man who knows no other nation, all those records of my ancestry have been erased through history.

thank you.
I vaguely remember now, but I meant no disrespect.
It’s just a very curious thing…how the USA, despite its very violent and still recent history against blacks, has not engendered a deep resentment against the country.
It’s not that the UK has been any worse, but majority of blacks in this country still strongly identify publicly with their roots. It used to be the Caribbeans only, whilst Africans did it quietly and privately. In the last 15-20 years the coin has flipped and the African has taken front stage.

British born blacks who haven’t even smelt Heathrow airport happily chat in their home patois or pidgin with pride. It’s a serious part of their identity and truth be told, the African brand, led by the Nigerian brand, is slowly becoming part of every day British life. It’s not even in dispute any more. My friend’s son just last week attended his graduation here in full Naija aso-oke agbada and sokoto, while his proud but slightly bemused parents who had flown in from Naija still wore their ‘suit and gown’. :rotf:

But bottom line is, black kids for the most part would find it very embarrassing to be talking about ‘England’ or ‘Britain’ in the same way African Americans talk about and identify with the USA.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Damunk wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:37 pm
King Futcha wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:58 pm

thank you.
I vaguely remember now, but I meant no disrespect.
It’s just a very curious thing…how the USA, despite its very violent and still recent history against blacks, has not engendered a deep resentment against the country.
It’s not that the UK has been any worse, but majority of blacks in this country still strongly identify publicly with their roots. It used to be the Caribbeans only, whilst Africans did it quietly and privately. In the last 15-20 years the coin has flipped and the African has taken front stage.

British born blacks who haven’t even smelt Heathrow airport happily chat in their home patois or pidgin with pride. It’s a serious part of their identity and truth be told, the African brand, led by the Nigerian brand, is slowly becoming part of every day British life. It’s not even in dispute any more.

But bottom line is, black kids for the most part would find it very embarrassing to be talking about ‘England’ or ‘Britain’ in the same way African Americans talk about and identify with the USA.

An answer to your question is that people are hopeful in light of progress. And is there really any other choice, given the diversity of the USA? This place will be disastrous if we Balkanize.

One thing is for sure: American men in all their diversity aren't good at football, no better comparatively when it was mostly white players. The women too are starting to slip. We just don't develop players properly for this sport.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:36 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:45 pm if soccer was the number one sport in the US without question the US would be the best team in world.
You sound even more arrogant than any American born US citizen, including Carl Lewis. To gauge just how immodest you sound, consider that baseball is America’s number one sport but the US is not the best baseball team in the world. She is currently ranked 5th in th WBSC rankings. So, there❗️

Cheers.
I could only dream to as arrogant as a UCONN basketball fan, women (and men of yesteryear) so there
Saints baby we did it
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

futcha , you do not have to explain yourself to that hopeless damunk
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

King Futcha wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:51 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:36 pm

Cheers.
I could only dream to as arrogant as a UCONN basketball fan, women (and men of yesteryear) so there
🤣🤣🤣

UConn teams are designed to win, evidenced by 11 Women’s NCAA titles and 14 consecutive final four appearances. Their dedicated fans, therefore, have earned the right to expect victory at every turn😀

As for the men, the ball hasn’t quite bounced right lately, mostly because of the Kevin Ollie saga but now that the issue has been put to bed, you should expect the men to get back to their dominant ways pretty soon❗️

Cheers.