How come Croatia with a tiny population

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How come Croatia with a tiny population

Post by wiseone »

Mate, why did Croatia not naturalise Dani Olmo? I tend to see him as a Croat even when he is playing for Spain 🇪🇸!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:53 pm Mate, why did Croatia not naturalise Dani Olmo? I tend to see him as a Croat even when he is playing for Spain 🇪🇸!
We tried.

🙂

He is Spaniard through and through and always was aiming to develop in Croatia in order to aspire to the highest level. It worked. He’s pretty popular in Croatia. Played at Leipzig with Gvardiol.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Very interesting that Olmo left Barcelona to play for Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia 🇭🇷. That is not a traditional route for a Spanish player. The young Spanish players who leave usually go to England or Germany.
mate wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:36 am
wiseone wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:53 pm Mate, why did Croatia not naturalise Dani Olmo? I tend to see him as a Croat even when he is playing for Spain 🇪🇸!
We tried.

🙂

He is Spaniard through and through and always was aiming to develop in Croatia in order to aspire to the highest level. It worked. He’s pretty popular in Croatia. Played at Leipzig with Gvardiol.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:45 am Very interesting that Olmo left Barcelona to play for Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia 🇭🇷. That is not a traditional route for a Spanish player. The young Spanish players who leave usually go to England or Germany.
mate wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:36 am
We tried.

🙂

As we discussed earlier, Croatia is becoming an attractive place for youth development. Olmo knew what he was doing. It really came down to getting earlier exposure and playing time at the top level.

https://www.croatiaweek.com/explosion-o ... -division/

It's not as bad as this author makes it. Most foreigners come from Bosnia, most Croatian. ut 39% of the 10 1st division clubs are foreigners now. That number is being reduced however, as there are strong calls for a greater % to be Croatian.

I personally think Croatians benefit.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?