Watched the 1970 World Cup for the 1st time

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Watched the 1970 World Cup for the 1st time

Post by AreaDaddy »

In homage to Pele the BBC showed a documentary of the1970 World, Group stages, Q-Finals, Semis and finals.

(If you are in the UK)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ilm-6-1970

It was very interesting to watch.

I guess it was the temperature, altitude and player fitness but the matches were quite slow paced compared to what we are used to now. Very few teams seem to apply any kind of press.

Some solid Teams USSR, Germany, Peru, Italy and obviously Brazil.

Sweden were a bunch of muscular agricutural farmers masquerading as footballers.

Tostao (Brazil) was legit. The guy was balletic on the ball. Brazil was loaded and if you watched this with no fore knowledge of any of the players I am not sure you would pick out Pele as the top man. He was good but that Brazil team was serioulsy loaded.

Morocco team that went were decent. They should have nicked a point from Germany game but for the legendary Gerd Muller. For a German the guy was short, he actually reminded me of Diego Maradonna (stature-wise).

Just shows the Zaire 74 was an abberation because Morocco 70, Tunisia 78, Algeria / Cameroon 82, etc were all decent teams .

The Goalies were generally baskets especially the Mexican goalkeeper

I don't know it if it was a combination of Mexcian altitute and summer temperature but the games were slow paced.

It was the first World Cup with Yellow cards. I don't know if the referees were not clear on how to use them as many of the tackles were just psychotic.

The Teams were generally unruly and referee harrassment was mental. Especailly El Salavador. In the Brazil England match, Brazil randomly took an extra 5 minutes at half time before showing up.

Even the crowds were unruly, every victory was followed by a pitch invasion especially after Brazil had won the whole thing
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Watched the 1970 World Cup for the 1st time

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I have heard this "slow" thing about the 1970 WC before. I think it is just a filming artifact.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I love watching the 1970 WC, as it's instructive on the nature of football. It was oozing with class...and go easy on the pace, as it was so hot and sports science not as advanced. The modern game relatively slows down in extreme heat as well.

Of course it was different. Teams that played violently basically got away with it. Refs got routinely intimidated. Players hit each other in frustration. Plus there were definitive national styles, most glaringly South America vs Europe, with nuances among countries.

AreaDaddy borings up an EXCELLENT point that applies to watch any game today: evaluate without a preconceived notion of who is who. You can see Pele, Messi, Maradona, never mind others, can be human as opposed to Demi Gods all of the time.

My favorite game: Brazil vs England, who for me were the 2 best teams. Their game was a master class. Too bad England stupidly lost to West Germany in knockouts. They were up 2-0 and subbed out Bobby Charlton, their Zinedine Zidane of the day...never recovered, kinda signaling over coaching and less emphasis on individuals.

But Brazil plays maintained their commitment to skill, style, guile, and letting players be individual. Even so, you can see Brazil hasn't won since 2002. Never easy to win a WC for anybody.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Interestingly just saw this video of Pele playing in a Friendly at the age of 50…not bad

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:34 pm Interestingly just saw this video of Pele playing in a Friendly at the age of 50…not bad

This is something else.

Class is forever and you can see Pele has it to the nth degree.

Man. At 50 even in a clip you see be has more football IQ and touch than many current Big 5 league clowns running all over the place.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

As per the Pelé comment. If you watch the Netflix documentary on him, he was pretty much off form going into that WC and the coach before Zagalo was scheming to drop him even coming up with a story that his eyesight was poor. The powers that be sacked him a couple of months b4 the tourney (I guess one should not be too hard on the NFF😂) Even during the mundial itself, he had by his standard a relatively indifferent performance until the latter stages if the WC when he truly kicked into gear.
Agree though about the tackling and pressing aspect of play. Thx game has changed so much compared to now. Those that had class however still oozed it. Maybe na MR age but Pelé for me was always the goat. Never subscribed to the point of view Messi and Ronaldo school of thought. Maybe na the ‘old man’ in me
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mate wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:33 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:34 pm Interestingly just saw this video of Pele playing in a Friendly at the age of 50…not bad

This is something else.

Class is forever and you can see Pele has it to the nth degree.

Man. At 50 even in a clip you see be has more football IQ and touch than many current Big 5 league clowns running all over the place.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?