Transfer Fees and “Selling Clubs”

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Transfer Fees and “Selling Clubs”

Post by wiseone »

I always wonder: what do “selling clubs” like Ajax, Brighton, Dortmund, Leicester, Monaco 🇲🇨 , RB Leipzig, and West Ham who have a history of selling talented young players do with the massive transfer fees they get from selling their best players to bigger clubs? These clubs should be among the richest clubs on earth, but they are not. Why?

eg. Monaco received over £1 billion in transfer fees from selling players since 2000 alone. They got over £350 million from selling Mbappe, Tchouameni, Martial, Mendy, James Rodriguez, and Tielemans alone (not to mention the fees for Bernardo Silva, Fabinho, Sidibe, Lemar, Bakayoko, and Badiashile).

Ditto Dortmund and Leipzig who sell their best players to Bayern each year.
seunt
Egg
Egg
Re: Transfer Fees and “Selling Clubs”

Post by seunt »

Transfer of players isn't where the money is. The real money comes from Broadcasting Rights, Commercial deals with Gaming and Apparel Brands.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

seunt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm Transfer of players isn't where the money is. The real money comes from Broadcasting Rights, Commercial deals with Gaming and Apparel Brands.

Clubs have to reinvest the money in acquiring new talents. Ajax might be a small fish that sells to big clubs like Bayern, Chelsea & Barca but they poach players from Psv & Feyenord.

The real money comes from sponsorship and tv deals. There is a reasons the likes of Messi and Ronaldo go to preseason tours to China & Saudi even though you can tell they don’t want to be there.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

However, Ajax does not replace outgoing players with new players of similar cost. eg. Ajax got over £130 million from Man Utd for Martinez and Antony. Ajax bought Martinez’s replacement for about half the price they got for Martinez. The Antony money may keep the club going for years!
packerland wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:10 pm

Clubs have to reinvest the money in acquiring new talents. Ajax might be a small fish that sells to big clubs like Bayern, Chelsea & Barca but they poach players from Psv & Feyenord.

The real money comes from sponsorship and tv deals. There is a reasons the likes of Messi and Ronaldo go to preseason tours to China & Saudi even though you can tell they don’t want to be there.