2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Preps & Playoffs

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Preps & Playoffs

Post by Damunk »

Good that it’s a FIFA window.
I was worried that clubs wouldn’t release many of our girls.

2023 Women’s World Cup Preps & Playoffs

Multiple tournaments will feature several World Cup-qualified nations this month
By Sandra Herrera
13 hrs ago

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/w ... neys-club/

There are officially less than six months ahead of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup with so many important matches and competitions to be played in the build-up. The final months of preparation mean there are only a few remaining official FIFA windows for teams to gather and build chemistry. The international tournaments scheduled for this month are a unique opportunity to take a look at some of the big names that may feature during the World Cup.

The multiple tournaments are scheduled to take place between Feb. 13 through Feb. 25, and some World Cup-qualified nations will get to play one another. The February window will also feature an inter-confederation playoff to determine the final three World Cup spots.

Take a look at some of the upcoming window of tournaments featuring several World Cup teams:

February tournaments

SheBelieves Cup (Feb. 16-22): USA (hosts) Canada, Brazil, Japan

Arnold Clark Cup (Feb. 16-22): England (hosts), South Korea, Belgium, Italy

Tournoi de France (Feb 15-21): France (hosts) Denmark, Norway, Uruguay

Revelations Cup (Feb. 15-21): Mexico (hosts) Costa Rica, Colombia, Nigeria

Cup of Nations (Feb. 15-22): Australia (hosts), Spain, Jamaica, Czech Republic

Pinatar Cup (Feb. 15-Cyprus Women's Cup (Feb. 16-22): Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Romania

Alanya Women's Tournament (Feb. 15-21): Turkey (hosts) Uzbekistan, Slovenia, Venezuela, Zambia, South Africa, Jordan, Hong Kong, Estonia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Bulgaria

Matchups to watch

The Arnold Clark Cup is only in its second edition, but the tournament hosts, England, are also reigning Euro champions. The round-robin style tournament will be a chance to see the Lionesses without their top scorer Beth Mead, as they look to replace her after tearing her ACL last month. South Korea is the only non-European team among the four participating nations and could shake up the tournament with their ability to lull teams to sleep with their tactical possession.

The SheBelieves Cup may well be a final test for any players on the bubble of head coach Vlatko Andonovski's U.S. women's national team World Cup roster. A number of players are in return to play protocol, and their rotation back into the pool means other players will be rotated out. Three games against the top-15 ranked World Cup-qualified teams will narrow the pool as the World Cup looms closer. The competition is the only tournament taking place this month with teams being World Cup participants.

The FFA Cup of Nations finally returns after a four-year absence. The Australian-hosted event first launched in 2019 and was then derailed by the coronavirus pandemic. Now the tournament is back, and this time Australia are also the co-host of the World Cup. This edition will feature the Matildas with the Czech Republic, Spain, and Jamaica.

Mexico's women's national team will participate in their first-ever Revelations Cup. The competition was typically utilized as a U-20 men's tournament and will now include the senior women's team. Mexico's path to a World Cup took another blow in July after they failed to qualify for a second consecutive. The federation is eager to boost the profiles of both their men's and women's programs after varying disappointments and the addition of a hosted cup competition is a good first step in added resources for the senior women's program. Invited nations Colombia, Nigeria and Costa Rica are all World Cup-bound but look for Colombia -- Copa Femenina runners-up -- to lift the first-ever Revelations Cup.

Inter-confederation playoff
Three World Cup spots are still up for grabs and 10 countries will battle for the final slots in an upcoming inter-confederation play-off. The 10 teams have been divided into three groups and the winner of each group will clinch the final spots. The entire competition will take place in World Cup co-host nation New Zealand.

During the February window, Portugal have traditionally hosted the Algarve Cup. However, with their inclusion within the inter-confederation playoff, there is no Algarve Cup this year.

Here are the groups:

Group A
Portugal
Cameroon
Thailand

Group B
Chile
Haiti
Senegal

Group C
Chinese Taipei
Paraguay
Papua New Guinea
Panama

Each group will have a semifinal and a final match stage. Portugal and Chile have already earned a bye to the final stage based on ranking. The official World Cup draw has already occurred with playoff winner A in Group E, playoff winner B in Group D, and playoff winner C in Group F.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Preps & Playoffs

Post by Tbite »

I just bought tickets for the Nigeria v Ireland game, I will be there and probably with my long lens too. I will take photos and upload here. I bought the cheap seats since the sales are not too extreme and I may be able to move around freely.

If I am lucky and run into some of the players, that will be good. I don't have a Nigeria flag, but I guess I can invest in one between now and July.

I am reluctant to attend the Nigeria V Australia game due to conflict of interest. Let me know if you guys really want me to attend and try to get some photos etc.

Our other game against Canada I believe is not in Brisbane, I would need to catch a flight to see it....which I am not opposed to, but would need some motivation as to why lol.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tbite wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:52 am I just bought tickets for the Nigeria v Ireland game, I will be there and probably with my long lens too. I will take photos and upload here. I bought the cheap seats since the sales are not too extreme and I may be able to move around freely.

If I am lucky and run into some of the players, that will be good. I don't have a Nigeria flag, but I guess I can invest in one between now and July.

I am reluctant to attend the Nigeria V Australia game due to conflict of interest. Let me know if you guys really want me to attend and try to get some photos etc.

Our other game against Canada I believe is not in Brisbane, I would need to catch a flight to see it....which I am not opposed to, but would need some motivation as to why lol.
You can't be serious.
WTF? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I won't enjoy the match very much just like that Cameroonian-Swiss guy didn't enjoy the match very much.

Embolo

I left Naija at 9....and eventually ended up in Aussie at 14.

What am I suppose to do support Naija passionately on our home turf, not just our home turf but my city lol where I have lived longer than anywhere else? It goes Brisbane 17 years then a city in PNG 5.25 years then another city in Naija 5 years then the last one in Naija 4 years. Can you see that disparity lol. It's just in bad taste. All the other cities I lived in put together to don't even add up to my time here.

Remember I am not like most of you that likely migrated as adults. I left Naija literally with milk teeth.

Or what is the alternative? Support Aussie against the land of my birth on home turf? I am more partial to Nigeria than Australia, but on home turf is just bad taste. Which is why I said, if you guys want me to go there to mingle and take photos I will do it for you guys, but it wouldn't be for my benefit.

This is why you guys often don't even understand the diaspora argument, because you migrated too old to understand it. Now this is me who left at 9, what of my half siblings who were born here lol, of course they would feel more Australian than Nigerian. Which is one of the reasons I cautioned against a football strategy built on convincing people to switch allegiances. I am almost certain that even those like Victor Moses and Lookman that switched, STILL feel more British than Nigerian.

With me, it's a bit different, I feel more Nigerian, but I have given the reasons above.

Actually I never asked my half siblings, but I would bet a million dollars I know what their answer will be. Which is why when people like Tamara Abraham turn you down, I am massively surprised that people here get surprised. The ones that don't turn you down are largely doing it to honor their parents, it is not that they feel more Nigerian.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The excuse about migrating young doesn't hold water , I have lived most of my life outside of Nigeria , been in Houston as a minor not even old enough to buy cigarettes or vote, and i love my city , best City in the world. There is no way i would support any team over green white green when we play . Nigeria first every other country second. Maybe the troll damunk migrated too old as you say , but that makes no difference

We all assimilate, but the fact is you are Nigerian , your name, skin, looks, food culture etc...no matter where you were born or raised , you be naija and nothing will change that.
Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:20 am I won't enjoy the match very much just like that Cameroonian-Swiss guy didn't enjoy the match very much.

Embolo

What am I suppose to do support Naija passionately on our home turf, not just our home turf but my city lol where I have lived longer than anywhere else? It goes Brisbane 17 years then a city in PNG 5.25 years then another city in Naija 5 years then the last one in Naija 4 years. Can you see that disparity lol. It's just in bad taste. All the other cities I lived in put together to don't even add up to my time here.

Remember I am not like most of you that likely migrated as adults. I left Naija literally with milk teeth.

Or what is the alternative? Support Aussie against the land of my birth on home turf? I am more partial to Nigeria than Australia, but on home turf is just bad taste. Which is why I said, if you guys want me to go there to mingle and take photos I will do it for you guys, but it wouldn't be for my benefit.

This is why you guys often don't even understand the diaspora argument, because you migrated too old to understand it. Now this is me who left at 9, what of my half siblings who were born here lol, of course they would feel more Australian than Nigerian. Which is one of the reasons I cautioned against a football strategy built on convincing people to switch allegiances. I am almost certain that even those like Victor Moses and Lookman that switched, STILL feel more British than Nigerian.

With me, it's a bit different, I feel more Nigerian, but I have given the reasons above.

Actually I never asked my half siblings, but I would bet a million dollars I know what their answer will be. Which is why when people like Tamara Abraham turn you down, I am massively surprised that people here get surprised. The ones that don't turn you down are largely doing it to honor their parents, it is not that they feel more Nigerian.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is not an excuse. Just facts. You guys are the ones making excuses.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 am It is not an excuse. Just facts. You guys are the ones making excuses.
i would never tell a grown man what to do but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. the two countries that shaped tbite meeting in your city. it is best to look at is as a moment of celebrating where you've been, where you are, and where you're headed, than torn allegiances.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

King Futcha wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:26 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 am It is not an excuse. Just facts. You guys are the ones making excuses.
i would never tell a grown man what to do but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. the two countries that shaped tbite meeting in your city. it is best to look at is as a moment of celebrating where you've been, where you are, and where you're headed, than torn allegiances.
Yep! A bit similar to the Kelce parents. No matter who wins the Super Bowl come Sunday, mom and dad raised a champion. @Tbite, you are looking at it the wrong way. Unlike us, you should be happy no matter who wins. In fact, if I’m you, I’m rocking both counties flags at the game.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:20 am I won't enjoy the match very much just like that Cameroonian-Swiss guy didn't enjoy the match very much.

Embolo

You don't have to explain anything to anybody. Aussie has been good to you and like a decent human being you appreciate it. End of.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

This is why I say most of you guys outside the UK just don't get it.
Tbite being genuinely torn between Naija and Australia would baffle any born and bred Britico-Nigerian. In fact, most black Britons
Seriously.
But I thought it was mainly American-born Nigerians that didn't get it, but obviously I was wrong on that.
There's something about the UK that either turns the majority of black people Anglo-neutral, or encourages a pro-motherland mindset, or both.
This is what led to the now-famous lamentation, known as the Tebbit Test - initially referencing cricket but can be applied in all sorts of ways.

One thing I do know is that the UK has always been a place where ethnic minorities have not been swallowed up by the dominant culture, despite us representing a relatively small slice of the general population. #
If anything, na we dey set trends.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

^^^^

What this says is maybe that the US is generally better at assimilating immigrants than the UK, leading to weaker networks of ethnic enclaves in the US compared to the UK.

Ethnic enclaves in the US are limited to big cities and those are usually diluted in a generation or two as people prosper (the US having more opportunity than the UK :taunt: ) and move out to the vast suburbs.

I don’t know about Australia but I suspect it is more similar to the US than the UK in terms of assimilating immigrants.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:42 pm ^^^^

What this says is maybe that the US is generally better at assimilating immigrants than the UK, leading to weaker networks of ethnic enclaves in the US compared to the UK.

Ethnic enclaves in the US are limited to big cities and those are usually diluted in a generation or two as people prosper (the US having more opportunity than the UK :taunt: ) and move out to the vast suburbs.

I don’t know about Australia but I suspect it is more similar to the US than the UK in terms of assimilating immigrants.
Probably right.
It sounds logical, but then again you think of the horrendous history of violence against blacks in the US and wonder why it could still be so. Not that the UK doesn’t have its own dark history of racism as we are well aware.
So it’s multifactorial.
As a kid for instance, I grew up knowing the UK was a white country but thought the US was a ‘black’ country.
The US has had black icons since like forever, whilst even today, black British icons are few and far between.

Things are slowly changing but it’s just ‘somehow’ seeing black Brits wrapping themselves in the Union Jack, but seems perfectly natural seeing AAs wrapped in the Stars n Stripes. Check the blacks in England squads during the pre match national anthems. You’re not going to see them belting out ‘God save the Queen’ with gusto. Their friends will ridicule them silly when they get back home. :rotf: :rotf:

It is why black kids in the UK get their street cred by infusing a heavy dose of Caribbean patois (and now Nigerian Pidgin) into their lingo - both distinctly different from the regular local English dialects.

White kids are copying them now. It’s mad. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:09 am

Probably right.
It sounds logical, but then again you think of the horrendous history of violence against blacks in the US and wonder why it could still be so. Not that the UK doesn’t have its own dark history of racism as we are well aware.
So it’s multifactorial.
As a kid for instance, I grew up knowing the UK was a white country but thought the US was a ‘black’ country.
The US has had black icons since like forever, whilst even today, black British icons are few and far between.

Things are slowly changing but it’s just ‘somehow’ seeing black Brits wrapping themselves in the Union Jack, but seems perfectly natural seeing AAs wrapped in the Stars n Stripes. Check the blacks in England squads during the pre match national anthems. You’re not going to see them belting out ‘God save the Queen’ with gusto. Their friends will ridicule them silly when they get back home. :rotf: :rotf:

It is why black kids in the UK get their street cred by infusing a heavy dose of Caribbean patois (and now Nigerian Pidgin) into their lingo - both distinctly different from the regular local English dialects.

pure rubbish
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Probably right.
So it’s multifactorial.

Perhaps most important is that many Blacks in the UK mostly still have strong family ties to Africa and the Caribbean, whereas in the US those that do have those ties are recent African and Caribbean immigrants, who are a minuscule percentage of the overall US Black population. Put another way, most Black people in the USA only know one home, the USA.

White kids, like all kids will want to identify with what is cool and current. 8-) The same way that African American culture is the culture that youth all over the world gravitate toward and imitate.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:54 am

Probably right.
So it’s multifactorial.

Perhaps most important is that many Blacks in the UK mostly still have strong family ties to Africa and the Caribbean, whereas in the US those that do have those ties are recent African and Caribbean immigrants, who are a minuscule percentage of the overall US Black population. Put another way, most Black people in the USA only know one home, the USA.

White kids, like all kids will want to identify with what is cool and current. 8-) The same way that African American culture is the culture that youth all over the world gravitate toward and imitate.
Absolutely. Plus it feels as if we have only been here for two generations, unlike the US,
Another factor is that we are confined within a relatively small space.
Stretch hand left, you will touch another Nigerian or Jamaican. Stretch hand right, another East or southern African.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Probably right.
So it’s multifactorial.

This isn't the case in the US at all.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:48 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:09 am]Probably right.
So it’s multifactorial.

Yeah.

Seems ‘The USA’ or ‘American’ is much more integrated into the black man’s identity out there than ‘Great Britain’ or ‘British’ is for the black man here.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:21 pm This is why I say most of you guys outside the UK just don't get it.
Tbite being genuinely torn between Naija and Australia would baffle any born and bred Britico-Nigerian. In fact, most black Britons
Seriously.
But I thought it was mainly American-born Nigerians that didn't get it, but obviously I was wrong on that.
There's something about the UK that either turns the majority of black people Anglo-neutral, or encourages a pro-motherland mindset, or both.
This is what led to the now-famous lamentation, known as the Tebbit Test - initially referencing cricket but can be applied in all sorts of ways.

One thing I do know is that the UK has always been a place where ethnic minorities have not been swallowed up by the dominant culture, despite us representing a relatively small slice of the general population. #
You are right on this. UK guys seem to gravitate towards their ‘homelands’ better than this side of the world.

Those of us that live where you have less Africans have an even steeper uphill climb to get our children to have a bit of African influence. We, the parents are often the only influence for long stretches of time.

Basic things like ‘swallow and fufu’ is a huge fight to get the kids to like. This got better when my parents lived with me for a stretch and whenever my in-laws visit.

But I believe the cities with much more Nigerians will have less of this issue.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cito wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:21 pm This is why I say most of you guys outside the UK just don't get it.
Seriously.

You are right on this. UK guys seem to gravitate towards their ‘homelands’ better than this side of the world.

Those of us that live where you have less Africans have an even steeper uphill climb to get our children to have a bit of African influence. We, the parents are often the only influence for long stretches of time.

Basic things like ‘swallow and fufu’ is a huge fight to get the kids to like. This got better when my parents lived with me for a stretch and whenever my in-laws visit.

Your kids are American. Good luck getting them to like fufu :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:23 pm
kalani JR wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:48 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:09 am]Probably right.
So it’s multifactorial.

Yeah.

Seems ‘The USA’ or ‘American’ is much more integrated into the black man’s identity out there than ‘Great Britain’ or ‘British’ is for the black man here.
There has been over six years of debates regarding standing for the national anthem. Decades of pan african movements. Even taking it to other races, there are several cases of American born players choosing to play for Mexico because that's where they're "from".
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:09 pm
Cito wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Seriously.

Your kids are American. Good luck getting them to like fufu :rotf: :rotf:
...they do, may not be a staple like those of us born and raised on fufu. All depend on the type of soup.