Match of the Day in crisis as commentators join growing staff boycott

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kbt
Egg
Egg
Match of the Day in crisis as commentators join growing staff boycott

Post by kbt »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64918162

For those outside the UK, this is the BBC's flagship football program on the weekends. Linekar was told to come off air after he tweeted against the UK's government's new asylum policy to deny entry for ever for anyone entering the UK illegally. The govt. did it to deter the boat crossings. Linekar called the policy cruel and akin to the language used by Nazi Germany in the 30's. BBC said he breached their impartiality stance on commenting on political issues and controversies. Now Ian Wright, Shearer and other pundits and commentators have joined Linekar in solidarity.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Match of the Day in crisis as commentators join growing staff boycott

Post by mcal »

...bbc is government owned radio/tv station, so they see it as he is criticizing their won, the hand that feeds him. Good 'ol relic England.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:25 pm ...bbc is government owned radio/tv station, so they see it as he is criticizing their won, the hand that feeds him. Good 'ol relic England.
Well, to a point. Others see it as the BBC caving to political influence from the party in power.
The hand that feeds the BBC are the tax payers, not the politicians.

This is a topic close to Gary Linekar. The guy even hosted asylum seekers in his home.

BTW, he’s a free-lancer too.
He should be able to make comments outside the BBC, on topics that are dear to him. The BBC is infringing on his rights.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Kabalega wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:18 pm
mcal wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:25 pm ...bbc is government owned radio/tv station, so they see it as he is criticizing their won, the hand that feeds him. Good 'ol relic England.
Well, to a point. Others see it as the BBC caving to political influence from the party in power.
The hand that feeds the BBC are the tax payers, not the politicians.

This is a topic close to Gary Linekar. The guy even hosted asylum seekers in his home.

BTW, he’s a free-lancer too.
He should be able to make comments outside the BBC, on topics that are dear to him. The BBC is infringing on his rights.
...still govt owned. They way I see it "govt owned in the UK is akin to queen/king own", you cannot criticize or bad mouth them, even though the monarchy doesn't say anything govt policy out loud in public.
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

I'm glad he has solidarity from other colleagues. Whether the UK govt asylum policy is right is another discussion.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

kbt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm I'm glad he has solidarity from other colleagues. Whether the UK govt asylum policy is right is another discussion.
His comparison is way off as well and don't really get all the furore over it
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ipe Grams wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:43 pm
kbt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm I'm glad he has solidarity from other colleagues. Whether the UK govt asylum policy is right is another discussion.
It’s about individual freedom of speech, BBC overreach double standards (muzzling an individual affiliated with the BBC is a political statement) and BBC’s journalistic integrity.

As for his comparison, I look at it, as him raising the alarm bells before it gets out of hand. If that’s still difficult to fathom, well look at Trump. There are some who raised similar alarm bells during the Nazi regime.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

I pay a TV license fee. Many like me don't want to see our license fee glorifying and normalising racists on TV.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Kabalega wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:33 pm
It’s about individual freedom of speech, BBC overreach double standards (muzzling an individual affiliated with the BBC is a political statement) and BBC’s journalistic integrity.

As for his comparison, I look at it, as him raising the alarm bells before it gets out of hand. If that’s still difficult to fathom, well look at Trump. There are some who raised similar alarm bells during the Nazi regime.
His rants about Qatar during the WC were allowed and I wasn't in favour of him using the BBC as a platform but this issue of people crossing the channel all they do is criticise and offer no solution at all.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I actually support Gary here . the BBC were wrong
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

:rotf:
Ipe Grams wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:51 pm

His rants about Qatar during the WC were allowed and I wasn't in favour of him using the BBC as a platform but this issue of people crossing the channel all they do is criticise and offer no solution at all.
I do not think his comparison is way well off.

The Tories have been in power for well over 10 years. The mess happened on their watch. They pretty much closed most legal paths to claim asylum. Even the routes they keep banging on about the figures don’t match their rhetoric… look at the Afghan scheme for example. They play and prey on peoples fears a convenient excuse for their failure in governance. I hear talk about how seekers should ‘claim asylum at the first safe country’. Conveniently forgetting that the UN charter that they were a major author and contributor to specifically states the exact opposite. They have fed that narrative so much that’s it’s ingrained and you can’t even hold a rationale discussion on what has been made an emotive issue.

Successive UK governments have u dee funded public services be housing, schools the NHS etc. the Tories with their austerity policy put this stuff on overdrive and now that chickens have come to roost, guess what blame the bloody migrants.

As per Gary Linemen’s tweets, he was factually correct. The UK took in much lower figures that its comparative peers in Europe. You’d think with the way they keep banging on every Tom, d#$% and Harry wants to come to the death, grey and wet Island.

As to his comments about nazi rhetoric, he stated that language used was similar to that by the Nazis early. No one is comparing this to the Holocaust but the language used in the years leading up to this.

Listen to this clip by Lewis Goodall a former BBC journalist

https://twitter.com/thevojem/status/163 ... hyHymGzOfg

This is from his podcast where a member of the public, read out segments of the Home Secretary’s speech in parliament. She substituted migrant for Jews….if the impact of that does not send chills down one’s spine about the dangerous stuff these buffoons at Westminister are playing at, then I don’t know what to say.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

hestonap wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:02 am :rotf:

I do not think his comparison is way well off.

The Tories have been in power for well over 10 years. The mess happened on their watch. They pretty much closed most legal paths to claim asylum. Even the routes they keep banging on about the figures don’t match their rhetoric… look at the Afghan scheme for example. They play and prey on peoples fears a convenient excuse for their failure in governance. I hear talk about how seekers should ‘claim asylum at the first safe country’. Conveniently forgetting that the UN charter that they were a major author and contributor to specifically states the exact opposite. They have fed that narrative so much that’s it’s ingrained and you can’t even hold a rationale discussion on what has been made an emotive issue.

Successive UK governments have u dee funded public services be housing, schools the NHS etc. the Tories with their austerity policy put this stuff on overdrive and now that chickens have come to roost, guess what blame the bloody migrants.

As per Gary Linemen’s tweets, he was factually correct. The UK took in much lower figures that its comparative peers in Europe. You’d think with the way they keep banging on every Tom, d#$% and Harry wants to come to the death, grey and wet Island.

As to his comments about nazi rhetoric, he stated that language used was similar to that by the Nazis early. No one is comparing this to the Holocaust but the language used in the years leading up to this.

Listen to this clip by Lewis Goodall a former BBC journalist

https://twitter.com/thevojem/status/163 ... hyHymGzOfg

This is from his podcast where a member of the public, read out segments of the Home Secretary’s speech in parliament. She substituted migrant for Jews….if the impact of that does not send chills down one’s spine about the dangerous stuff these buffoons at Westminister are playing at, then I don’t know what to say.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

so this women who may have migrated via her family is the one making immigration torey ..chei , this is pretty funny
SuperEagles

kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 am Image

so this women who may have migrated via her family is the one making immigration torey ..chei , this is pretty funny
It's easier to get someone that looks like that to implement tough immigration laws. In that way, you can't claim racism. Have you noticed that it's the asian and black MPs whose parents or grandparents came to the UK as immigrants are the ones who have the most right wing views on immigration.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 am Image

Whatever her motivations, I personally get the impression she is a wannabe toff. Like that person who will do anything to get into the in crowd. She will also do anything to hang in there. As close to a US neocon as one can get.

People like her normalise racism in the UK.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

His posts on his personal social media accounts were not on a BBC platform. He is a freelancer with the BBC, who (the BBC) uses his name and skills, as a platform to boost their show(s). That should not come at the cost of Linekar giving up his personal freedoms.

A bigger issue here is the BBC is undermining its journalistic integrity, while pretending to do the same to individuals within its ranks.