CITY WINS the UEFA SUPERCUP

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg
Re: CITY WINS the UEFA SUPERCUP

Post by Sleaky72 »

Coach wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:43 pm Interesting acquisition. Doku has all the attributes to be a fabulous wide forward, blistering pace, adept in the dribble and decent output with both feet. Occasional overdoes it, retains the ball for too long and has the inconsistency almost quintessential in such talents (ASM, Adama Traore etc). Will be interesting to see how Guardiola works this. Seldom has he been the type to indulge the dribbler. Impact sub perhaps. In the beginning.
Sane
Grealish
Mahrez
Silva
Sterling
……..
Are known mostly for what again, as their most obvious trait?
Surely it ain’t passing or defending?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Acquires and indulges, two completely different things. Yes, Pep has acquired players renowned for their dribbling ability, does he indulge their dribbling? Not a single City player in the top ten for attempted dribbles last year, despite City topping the pops for chance creation, shots on goal and goals scored (EPL data).

Most dribbles per 90 minutes, again no City player in the upper echelons. City’s most adventurous player over the course of the season, as far dribbles concerned, Jack Grealish, 76 in total. As a total, that didn’t make the top 20 and was almost half the amount attempted by Saka. Mahrez wasn’t in the top 40.

For context, City’s most successful dribble, ie. Most completed dribbles? Joao Cancelo, who left on loan in January.

In conclusion, Guardiola seldom indulges the dribbler. Will be interesting to see how Pep utilises Doku, one renowned for said ability.

Stats available on Opta, EPL and PFF website.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Coach I’m not trying to give you a hard time but you’re contradicting and twisting yourself in knots:
All the wide players Pep signs are known to be high level dribblers including the latest one just signed from Lique 1. You’re entitled to your opinion and I can’t debate that but not your own whole set of facts that contradict the original premise of your argument
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Not sure where the confusion arises from. Yes, Guardiola adores technical ability, of which dribbling is a manifestation of such. That being said, that Man City have masterful dribblers who seldom dribble suggests their ability to do so is somewhat restricted by tactic and strategy.

Mahrez was perhaps one of the best 1-vs-1 dribblers in the league and yet didn’t rank in the top 40 for attempted dribbles. Ironically, despite so few dribble attempts, Mahrez was in double figures for assists.

Grealish another competent dribbler, not in the top 20 for dribble attempts. Like Mahrez, a decent return for assists (7).

City aren’t using the dribble, or rather, utilise a different advantage to optimise chance creation. Doku, an expert dribbler, it will be very interesting to see how Guardiola uses him. Top 10 for aftempted dribbles (pro rata)? will wager he’s nowhere near, much like the other expert dribblers running the channels the way Guardiola wants the channels run.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Coach wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:43 pm Interesting acquisition. Doku has all the attributes to be a fabulous wide forward, blistering pace, adept in the dribble and decent output with both feet. Occasional overdoes it, retains the ball for too long and has the inconsistency almost quintessential in such talents (ASM, Adama Traore etc). Will be interesting to see how Guardiola works this. Seldom has he been the type to indulge the dribbler. Impact sub perhaps. In the beginning.

One of these days I need to look at statistics to round out my knowledge on the topic of dribbling. But I do recall Iniesta, Messi, and Xavi being masterful dribblers when needed at Barcelona. Of course passing came 1st, opening up time and space for selective dribbling and scoring opportunities.

Likewise, dribbling too can open up time and space for scoring opportunities. Experience and common sense tell me dribbling can be excessive. Again, I'm not sure where Pep stands overall here, if indeed he has a strict rule aside from common sense...like just saying: don't dribble to excess and play the 1st pass available, which was a maxim for all the best coaches I ever played under.

I'm getting more into football these days. Age. The rest doesn't matter.

:)

I'm back at arguing with friends on tactics. Pep comes up. Does he adapt to the players or enforce his style? I say the former, as Pep had nuances with Bayern, Barca, and MC, even though clearly he favors high skill, possession, but seems adaptable and flexible tactically...not being Mourinho, who seemed more rigid.

Just ranting.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

BTW guys: I'm watching EVERY MC game...following Gvardiol and Kovacic, on whom Croatia NT depends.

Again, time will tell if MC can be a dynasty like RM or Barca were with Messi and CR. I'm not sure. So far, yes, they seem to be th best current team...but I don't sense yet that the player collective is what the Spanish giants had during their peak run.

Gonna be fun finding out.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

mate wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:46 pm

One of these days I need to look at statistics to round out my knowledge on the topic of dribbling. But I do recall Iniesta, Messi, and Xavi being masterful dribblers when needed at Barcelona. Of course passing came 1st, opening up time and space for selective dribbling and scoring opportunities.

Likewise, dribbling too can open up time and space for scoring opportunities. Experience and common sense tell me dribbling can be excessive. Again, I'm not sure where Pep stands overall here, if indeed he has a strict rule aside from common sense...like just saying: don't dribble to excess and play the 1st pass available, which was a maxim for all the best coaches I ever played under.

I'm back at arguing with friends on tactics. Pep comes up. Does he adapt to the players or enforce his style? I say the former, as Pep had nuances with Bayern, Barca, and MC, even though clearly he favors high skill, possession, but seems adaptable and flexible tactically...not being Mourinho, who seemed more rigid.

Just ranting.
Roku is a belated replacement for Sterling. See this—> https://www.youtube.com/live/shT_jY7YVk ... pc75Aw9XV4
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

mate wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:46 pm

Just ranting.
Roku is a belated replacement for Sterling. See this—> https://www.youtube.com/live/shT_jY7YVk ... pc75Aw9XV4
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Doku, the antithesis to the low block. If one is adept at best the 1v1, then the block is pulled out of line to cover the breach. Very impressive ball carriage and take ons. Away at the London Stadium, second game in, not shabby at all. The dead start acceleration and speed in change of direction, without compromising control, ominous.

A mention for Alvarez, crikey, what a player.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:32 pm Doku, the antithesis to the low block. If one is adept at best the 1v1, then the block is pulled out of line to cover the breach. Very impressive ball carriage and take ons. Away at the London Stadium, second game in, not shabby at all. The dead start acceleration and speed in change of direction, without compromising control, ominous.

A mention for Alvarez, crikey, what a player.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^bicep still dey?

@Mate, thoughts on Gvardiol’s debut season thus far?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Welcome to Ezri Konsatinople. Raggy dolled. Manhandled. Pocketed.

Easy peasy Gen Zeezy. Joystick generation.