It’s Official! Onana to ManU! Brace for Onana Mania on BBC & CE

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It’s Official! Onana to ManU! Brace for Onana Mania on BBC & CE

Post by Kabalega »

See ManU’s “professional” goalie in a pickup game after being sent home from the World Cup camp.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:10 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:51 pm This was me in secondary school. :rotf: :rotf: I hated brainless football and anyone and everyone felt the wrath if you made any childish mistake!
the more i see Onana the better he gets in my book, may we get a wild character goalie at the SE like this. from Ajax Champs league last four, Inter Champs league last two...this bobo is going places . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I thought he was slightly better than the apprentice keeper Uzoho. :o
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Goddess wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:08 am
danfo driver wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:51 pm This was me in secondary school. :rotf: :rotf: I hated brainless football and anyone and everyone felt the wrath if you made any childish mistake!
the more i see Onana the better he gets in my book, may we get a wild character goalie at the SE like this. from Ajax Champs league last four, Inter Champs league last two...this bobo is going places . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yes he is . What's your point?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:13 pm
Dont be so touchy 8-)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Goddess wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:51 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:13 pm
Dont be so touchy 8-)
go suck on a lemon
SuperEagles

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Onana, getting beat from almost the center circle is not the best
way to ingratiate oneself to the United fans
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

A goalie is primarily supposed to be a shot stopper so I'm still trying to figure out why a goalie is unwanted because his of his footwork or the lack thereof.

I think Man Utd will miss de Gea at some point. I expect the likes of Sky to juxtapose saves by de Gea that Onana missed something less taxing
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

anointed wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:53 pm A goalie is primarily supposed to be a shot stopper so I'm still trying to figure out why a goalie is unwanted because his of his footwork or the lack thereof.

I think Man Utd will miss de Gea at some point. I expect the likes of Sky to juxtapose saves by de Gea that Onana missed something less taxing
I think its obvious, and I think you know the obvious answer and your question is more so "what is the point of . . ."

But to respond to the "what is the point of," let me just throw out the obvious answer first. It depends. For some teams, a goalkeeper's first duty is to stop the ball from going into the net by catching it. This may come to you as a surprise, and I understand that, but for some teams, that is not actually the first job of their goalkeeper. Believe it or not. For some teams, that is the second duty. The first duty of their goalkeeper is actually crucial to how they play. To defend and attach with possession and you cannot do that effectively, unless your goalkeeper has IT!

Did you watch the interview with Pep about Onana at Inter? When he spoke about how City could not press inter because Inter has Onana and Dzeko, one who is press resistant and the other who is good at hold up play (Onana and Hojlund) AND (Ederson and Haaland). For some teams, thats how they actually defend -- prevent most of their goals against them. Teams cant press them and as such, teams are not always in front of their goal to rain it down with shots! :lol: And the infrequent occasion that the team is near their post, the goalkeeper uses his secondary skill to win the ball.

Anyone who has seen my posts here knows that i have always worried about Onana. In a team that cant keep possession, I assume he will be a basket! But in a team that can retain the ball -- What Man Utd want to be - having him is priceless and will actually help them to concede less goals.

De Gea was a disaster for a coach like Ten Hag. You are simply asking the coach to sacrifice the only way he knows how to play for one person. He would literally have to change his entire philosophy, sell Martinez, forego any ideas of ball-playing CDs and CDMs; and focus on counter attacking football. Just for one person? That cannot happen.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He was very fortunate not to have a penalty awarded against him in injury time after he nearly decapitated a Wolves player today. He came to punch 🤜 a cross, missed the ball ⚽️, and instead clotheslined a Wolves player (Kalajdzic) out of the air.

It was a stonewall penalty and a potential card for endangering an opponent’s safety. He even hit Dawson as well.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wiseone wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:09 am He was very fortunate not to have a penalty awarded against him in injury time after he nearly decapitated a Wolves player today. He came to punch 🤜 a cross, missed the ball ⚽️, and instead clotheslined a Wolves player (Kalajdzic) out of the air.

It was a stonewall penalty and a potential card for endangering an opponent’s safety. He even hit Dawson as well.
...the player did not stay down long feigning injury, even after VAR ref decided not to give pk, of course the coach went berserk on the sideline and got a yellow.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

:biggrin:
Your Goddessness, if Onana is a disaster for ManU, I will laff you oh. :D :taunt: But if he is a huge success, I will join the bandwagon, and claim that I knew he would be. :biggrin:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Which was a perverse outcome because he was right to be aggrieved.

mcal wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:58 am
...the player did not stay down long feigning injury, even after VAR ref decided not to give pk, of course the coach went berserk on the sideline and got a yellow.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

ohsee wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:10 am
Your Goddessness, if Onana is a disaster for ManU, I will laff you oh. :D :taunt: But if he is a huge success, I will join the bandwagon, and claim that I knew he would be. :biggrin:
Follow Follow!
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

ohsee wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:10 am
Follow Follow! :taunt: :taunt:
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

wiseone wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:38 am Which was a perverse outcome because he was right to be aggrieved.

mcal wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:58 am
That was never a penalty.Bad belle :mad:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Did not realise that FIFA had changed the Rules of the Game to legalise clotheslining an opponent.
The Goddess wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:34 pm

The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

wiseone wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:02 pm Did not realise that FIFA had changed the Rules of the Game to legalise clotheslining an opponent.
The Goddess wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:34 pm

50% saw a penalty, while 50% didn´t. Da´s Fußball
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Onana still flapping at air balls. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, is this brother blind? Good teams will easily exploit this weakness.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...i hope he doesn't become a liability with his style or is it antics (of carefree) in the back.
He show confidence, I guess the coach know him better since he came from dutch league too.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The hate on Onana is getting annoying
SuperEagles

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:07 am ...i hope he doesn't become a liability with his style or is it antics (of carefree) in the back.
He show confidence, I guess the coach know him better since he came from dutch league too.
Onana’s passing ability makes up for any disadvantages of him going forward. The team will have to take care of the ball when he is off his line.

His major weakness is flapping at high crosses. He usually misreads and misses them. I wonder whether he has problems seeing the flight of the ball going across the goal or something. Sometimes he doesn’t even bother going for them at all. Ten Hag has to know about this problem. At Inter the defenders learned how to cover for him as much as was possible.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Kabalega wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:01 pm
mcal wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:07 am ...i hope he doesn't become a liability with his style or is it antics (of carefree) in the back.
Onana’s passing ability makes up for any disadvantages of him going forward. The team will have to take care of the ball when he is off his line.

His major weakness is flapping at high crosses. He usually misreads and misses them. I wonder whether he has problems seeing the flight of the ball going across the goal or something. Sometimes he doesn’t even bother going for them at all. Ten Hag has to know about this problem. At Inter the defenders learned how to cover for him as much as was possible.
Your Goddessness, is this true? :biggrin: If it is, I will laff you oh. :biggrin: Englanders like the high cross very much. :biggrin: