'Black managers need to be given the chance!' - Chelsea legend Ruud Gullit claims

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
'Black managers need to be given the chance!' - Chelsea legend Ruud Gullit claims

Post by camex »

https://www.goal.com/en-gh/lists/black- ... 84627037bb

THE BIGGER PICTURE
Manchester United legend Gary Neville took in a spell in charge of La Liga giants Valencia after hanging up his boots, and his old team-mate Wayne Rooney has also had his fair share of coaching opportunities, having been in the dugout at Derby County and D.C. United before his recent switch to Birmingham City. Meanwhile, former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who began his managerial career at Rangers before an ill-fated stint at Aston Villa, is currently at the helm of Saudi Pro League outfit Al-Ettifaq, and his old Chelsea rival Frank Lampard was recently interviewed for the top job at MLS outfit Charlotte.

WHAT RUUD GULLIT SAID
None of those white English coaches have been able to prove themselves as elite managers yet, and Gullit thinks it's unfair that their black counterparts are not even being considered for the same high-profile roles. The 1987 Ballon d'Or winner has told Gambling Zone: "Look at Gary Neville! He didn’t do anything, but he got the chance. Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard didn't succeed either, but they got the chance. Black managers need to be given the chance. I read that Frank Lampard was reported for a job in America! We want those opportunities for everyone. Not every manager succeeds, but that doesn't mean that they're not good managers. Sometimes you just need the right break. I'm wondering why those coaches, who didn't do well, get the chances. Ultimately I think we’ve seen managers such as Rooney, Neville, Lampard and Gerrard have been given more than one chance, yet black managers if they don’t succeed at the first attempt, the doors are closed. I can’t understand why this is."

Gullit added: "I don't know the ins and outs, so I couldn't say that England are behind. I know about the frustration of certain black coaches, though. The only thing we ask is to get interviewed - nothing else."

DID YOU KNOW?
Gullit also suggested that the Premier League should try to follow the same diversity model that has been successful in the NFL. In 2003, American football adopted the 'Rooney Rule' - named after then-chairman of the committee Dan Rooney - which requires every team advertising for a new head coach to interview at least one diverse candidate before making a new hire. "In America, it's mandatory to integrate diversity into sport, and look at it now," Gullit said. "There were no black quarterbacks for the longest time because people say they couldn't do it, but those people were wrong. There are also black coaches. It's about giving people a fair chance. There are so many black players in the Premier League! We can participate in the sport, but we can't decide. It needs to change. So many teams have several black players, and I have a hard time believing none of them have managerial ambitions. Just give them a chance – they have the ambition. Of course, not everybody will succeed, but let's not point fingers at that."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 'Black managers need to be given the chance!' - Chelsea legend Ruud Gullit claims

Post by mcal »

...the problem is that in European football, prospective minority coaches do not have strong advocates like they have here in the USA. Back before today in the NFL they talk about it often, black pundits, the media, eventually the doors opened. Europe minority media are shy or afraid to speak up.