Onana Picks Club Over Country

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onana Picks Club Over Country

Post by danfo driver »

This is asinine and the fact Cameroon permitted this, is complete and absolute disgrace!!!! Tuehhh!!!!

I truly wish I was a coach! Kai!! as the Binis will say "They have NOT born the person." If I was a coach, there is no player in this world that will try this with me! They have NOT born the person! You make it clear that you want to play for your club, I will thank you, wish you the best and excuse you for the tournament. Simple. There is no quarrel. Kaiii! Who cursed us?!

Onana: “If I wasn’t going to play or make the team, then why did I come here on a private jet.”
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:19 pm
:lol: :lol: The joke is on @zacklowry. Onana may prefer that AFCON is over with soon.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

This guy is not good enough for all the wahala he causes. The Cameroonian replacement is just as good for me. I would send him back.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Ironically, the Cameroon 🇨🇲 backup GK is Onana’s cousin.
airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 pm This guy is not good enough for all the wahala he causes. The Cameroonian replacement is just as good for me. I would send him back.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Here is the real article and not those click bait articles.

ANDRE ONANA INTERVIEW AFTER A 1-1 DRAW AGAINST GUINEA

Journalist: Don't you feel tired after the journey?

Andre Onana; No. I'm ok

Journalist: What do you feel about the team after your arrival hours ago

Andre Onana: We have a great team. We are a great football nation. The team is doing fine. I've known these guys for a long time and we've played together.
At the moment, it’s difficult because when you wear the Cameroon outfit, your intention is to win. Cameroon cannot afford to play a draw. We are disappointed but that’s football. Everything is temporary. We did our best. Just that we did not take advantage of our opportunities. The Guinean goalkeeper made great saves. The most important is the next match.

Journalist: Next match, will you be part of the team?

Andre Onana: I have no idea. I'm not the coach . The most important is collective play and for my country to win.
I am very proud to be here to represent my country, my continent. It is an honor. We have excellent goalkeepers, the coach will decide who plays.

(New World TV)

“I have a lot to say but I won’t say it here because we are in competition. The most important thing is sacred union. We are here to win the AFCON.

I ask the supporters to support us in good times and bad...

I am one of the leaders so I take my responsibilities and that is why I am here.

I don't want people to criticize the younger players. Let people continue to criticize me, I'm used to it, I do what is good for my country. It's like choosing between my father and my mother, but my country comes first, that's why I'm here. We're together." 🦁🇨🇲

(CANAL +)
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

you guys are the reason people pour sh1t in your face. After the way he left the national team previously, he is coming to a major tournament days after the tournament has started and you are tolerating it. Trying to rub his back. You guys are not ready for success in that continent. smh
bamenda boy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:01 pm Here is the real article and not those click bait articles.

ANDRE ONANA INTERVIEW AFTER A 1-1 DRAW AGAINST GUINEA

Journalist: Don't you feel tired after the journey?

Andre Onana; No. I'm ok

Journalist: What do you feel about the team after your arrival hours ago

Andre Onana: We have a great team. We are a great football nation. The team is doing fine. I've known these guys for a long time and we've played together.
At the moment, it’s difficult because when you wear the Cameroon outfit, your intention is to win. Cameroon cannot afford to play a draw. We are disappointed but that’s football. Everything is temporary. We did our best. Just that we did not take advantage of our opportunities. The Guinean goalkeeper made great saves. The most important is the next match.

Journalist: Next match, will you be part of the team?

Andre Onana: I have no idea. I'm not the coach . The most important is collective play and for my country to win.
I am very proud to be here to represent my country, my continent. It is an honor. We have excellent goalkeepers, the coach will decide who plays.

(New World TV)

“I have a lot to say but I won’t say it here because we are in competition. The most important thing is sacred union. We are here to win the AFCON.

I ask the supporters to support us in good times and bad...

I am one of the leaders so I take my responsibilities and that is why I am here.

I don't want people to criticize the younger players. Let people continue to criticize me, I'm used to it, I do what is good for my country. It's like choosing between my father and my mother, but my country comes first, that's why I'm here. We're together." 🦁🇨🇲

(CANAL +)
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

All this is rubbish. You brought wage slaves from Europe to represent your country. Now, there’s a dilemma on availability and punctuality?

The time for Africans to take a hard look at the dynamics at play, and make a tough choice on how they want their tournament to represent and showcase African football.

Up to me, I’ll only open up four spots for foreign based players. Yeah, sponsorship suffers but this is a case of showcasing a certain European league player (which captures more youths to follow club x or y in Europe) at the expense of paying attention to Continental based players.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Kudus to the Cameroonian FA for working out a deal with the club. That said, junior should have given him a full 2 weeks to prepare for the first game and hoped he got some form going. Onana chickened out on the 2nd goal on Sunday, dodged the ball and didn't want it to hit his face. Junior should take the opportunity to give others a chance.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

bamenda boy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:00 pm
packerland wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:40 pm
King Futcha wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:24 pm as far as im aware he is the only player of approximately 648 players called up to the tournament with this type of arrangement. there are a lot of players who are far more important to their clubs than Onana is to his club who are in CIV with their compatriots.

furthermore Cameroon will be home before the postcards so at this point he may as well stay with Man United.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: He shoul've stayed back. We never found out why he was sent home from the WC. What makes Cameroon think that he won't repeat whatever he did or said to the coach the last time?
A player from the national team told me personally that Onana brought a side chick to his room and was caught. I mean he was there with them so who am I to argue?
If I were Onana,, I would stay behind. His career is more important than the national team at this point in time.
That’s funny. Now he’s saying country over club. This dude says one thing and his actions says something else. I don’t like the way he was unceremoniously let go by Ajax which tells me they was something more to the story other than failing a drug test. He has a massive pressure to perform for country and club.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

packerland wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 pm
King Futcha wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:24 pm as far as im aware he is the only player of approximately 648 players called up to the tournament with this type of arrangement. there are a lot of players who are far more important to their clubs than Onana is to his club who are in CIV with their compatriots.

furthermore Cameroon will be home before the postcards so at this point he may as well stay with Man United.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: He shoul've stayed back. We never found out why he was sent home from the WC. What makes Cameroon think that he won't repeat whatever he did or said to the coach the last time?
A player from the national team told me personally that Onana brought a side chick to his room and was caught. I mean he was there with them so who am I to argue?
If I were Onana,, I would stay behind. His career is more important than the national team at this point in time.
That’s funny. Now he’s saying country over club. This dude says one thing and his actions says something else. I don’t like the way he was unceremoniously let go by Ajax which tells me they was something more to the story other than failing a drug test. He has a massive pressure to perform for country and club.
You don join Danfo driver di spread rumors as facts.
The fact is that Man United needed him and plead with Fecafoot to have him for one match. Fecafoot obliged. Man United is not complaining. Fecafoot is not complaining. Onana is not complaining.
Sensational journalism all over the place.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Onana’s late arrival is tragi-comic behaviour (by both Onana and Manchester United). It is ludicrous that Onana missed Cameroon’s 🇨🇲 first AFCON game in order to play for Manchester United in an FA Cup match against Wigan Athletic (who play in the third division). Was Onana’s presence really necessary for that match? Was it necessary to keep him for a cup match against a third tier side and then pay about 100,000 to hire a private jet ✈️ to fly him to the AFCON - late?

Couldn’t United have let Onana go to the AFCON and play one of their reserve GKs like Bayindir or Heaton instead? Most Premier League teams play their reserve GKs in cup competitions anyway.

Doing so would also have given match practice to Heaton or Bayindir (who Manchester United bought specifically to be Onana’s backup) in advance of them having to play in Onana’s absence in far more important Premier League matches. If Manchester United deems Onana to be indispensable for an FA Cup match against a third division team, then something is seriously wrong.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:05 pm Onana’s late arrival is tragi-comic behaviour (by both Onana and Manchester United). It is ludicrous that Onana missed Cameroon’s 🇨🇲 first AFCON game in order to play for Manchester United in an FA Cup match against Wigan Athletic (who play in the third division). Was Onana’s presence really necessary for that match? Was it necessary to keep him for a cup match against a third tier side and then pay about 100,000 to hire a private jet ✈️ to fly him to the AFCON - late?

Couldn’t United have let Onana go to the AFCON and play one of their reserve GKs like Bayindir or Heaton instead? Most Premier League teams play their reserve GKs in cup competitions anyway.

Doing so would also have given match practice to Heaton or Bayindir (who Manchester United bought specifically to be Onana’s backup) in advance of them having to play in Onana’s absence in far more important Premier League matches. If Manchester United deems Onana to be indispensable for an FA Cup match against a third division team, then something is seriously wrong.
I'd say he was held back for the Spurs game where he dodged the ball for their second goal to go in, De Gea saves that. Junior should have given him two weeks to prep for AFCON first game. He needed to get away from all the pressure, clear his head and hopefully gain some form, but instead he held him back under pressure, then put him on a private jet to CIV leading to yet more pressure with big boy arrival in camp. Junior is a poor manager.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Cameroon Face Issue with André Onana
01/24/2024 - 03:56 AM

Cameroon secured a last-minute spot in the AFCON Round of 16 with their dramatic victory against Gambia, placing them second in their group. They achieved this without André Onana, who was on the bench, a decision that angered the Manchester United goalkeeper.
The goalkeeper was not pleased to remain on the bench in the crucial game for his team, and, as reported by Sport News Africa, he made it known to the President of the Cameroon Football Federation, Samuel Eto'o, with whom, incidentally, he does not maintain a good relationship. :???:

The same information assures that when Onana learned that he would be on the bench in the game that could have eliminated his team from the tournament, he had a confrontation with Eto'o, asking him to intervene. The Cameroonian leader did not respond and turned away to avoid further issues. :lol:
After that, the goalkeeper calmed down and joined the substitutes' bench, from where he witnessed his team's victory, celebrating on the field like one of the team. :)

Why was Onana a substitute?
The participation of the Manchester United goalkeeper in the tournament did not start well, as he decided to delay his arrival at the camp until the last moment due to a match with the Red Devils.
He was a substitute in the first game and a starter in the second, where he conceded three goals and had a forgettable performance. Rigobert Song decided to keep him on the bench for the third game and trust Fabrice Ondoa, the goalkeeper from Nîmes in the French Third Division, who ended up being Cameroon's hero. :lol: :lol:

VIDEO | AFCON 2023 Highlights: Guinea vs Senegal
The problem is now present for the coach, who must decide whether to continue trusting Ondoa for the Round of 16 after his good performance or restore Onana to the starting lineup to avoid a new conflict with the Manchester United goalkeeper.

https://www.beinsports.com/en-us/soccer ... 2024-01-24
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

You guys stop with the fake news. Omana was playing with a bandaid tied around his leg. He was not 100% fit for the Gambia game. So the coaching staff made a decision based on that.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

bamenda boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:57 pm
packerland wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 pm

You don join Danfo driver di spread rumors as facts.
The fact is that Man United needed him and plead with Fecafoot to have him for one match. Fecafoot obliged. Man United is not complaining. Fecafoot is not complaining. Onana is not complaining.
Sensational journalism all over the place.
He forced them into that mutual agreement. Probably why he is now getting benched.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

bamenda boy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm You guys stop with the fake news. Omana was playing with a bandaid tied around his leg. He was not 100% fit for the Gambia game. So the coaching staff made a decision based on that.
I feel sorry for Onana at this point. But please clarify. What specific injury does Onana have?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

this guy is one of the worst GKs i have seen. United need to cut their losses like Cameroon did.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:07 am
bamenda boy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm You guys stop with the fake news. Omana was playing with a bandaid tied around his leg. He was not 100% fit for the Gambia game. So the coaching staff made a decision based on that.
I feel sorry for Onana at this point. But please clarify. What specific injury does Onana have?
The injury that hurts in Africa but doesn't stop you from starting for United and embarrassing yourself and your club.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Seems Bamenda is the one with fake news. Onana is a big boy, doesn't give a damn about Cameroon, he'll just move on to his starting lineup at Manchester United. A serious coach would have brought in a goalie to replace him while he was on Song's bench, even if it's a loaner to stop the bleeding. But he let the window run out.