Tanzania coach suspended from AFCON for insulting Morocco

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Tanzania coach suspended from AFCON for insulting Morocco

Post by Undertaker »

Tanzania coach Adel Amrouche has been suspended at the Africa Cup of Nations finals for making insulting remarks about Morocco, who beat the east African side 3-0 in their opening game at the tournament on Wednesday.

The Tanzania Football Federation said the Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary committee had suspended Amrouche for eight matches following a complaint submitted by Morocco. CAF have yet to make an announcement.

"In another step, the Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) has suspended coach Amrouche. As a result of that decision, Hemed Morocco has been appointed acting coach and he will be assisted by Juma Mgunda," TFF spokesman Clifford Mario Ndimbo said.

Amrouche had said that Morocco held too much sway in the corridors of power in African football and were influencing the appointment of referees.

"The Morocco federation is a proven power in the world of African football. Morocco manages African football. They also choose their referees and we remain simple spectators," Amrouche said in an interview on Algerian television ahead of Wednesday's match.

Amrouche, born in Algeria but a Belgian citizen, said Morocco had "a strike force" within the African confederation doing their bidding.

"For example, during the match between us and Morocco in the World Cup qualifiers in November we asked to play at two p.m.," he said.

It was Tanzania's home game and they wanted to use the daytime heat in Dar es Salaam to their advantage against the Moroccan players, most of whom are based at clubs in Europe.

"But CAF scheduled the match for the evening," Amrouche added.

In the same interview, Amrouche criticised his own federation for changing their pre-tournament preparation camp.

"I had scheduled a preparation camp in Algeria. I even scheduled friendly matches against Mauritania, Cape Verde and Anderlecht.

"But there was influence placed on officials to relocate our place of preparation. So we were forced to prepare in Cairo," he said.

Neighbours Algeria and Morocco have a frosty relationship, with the border between the two countries closed.

Their political rivalry has spilled over into the ranks of African football where last year the two were bidding against each other for the hosting of the next Cup of Nations tournament.

Morocco won the right to host in 2025 with Algeria withdrawing on the eve of the vote in what observers said was a face-saving exercise.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... ng-morocco
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tanzania coach suspended from AFCON for insulting Morocco

Post by Undertaker »

I was wondering why Morocco is hosting back-to-back WAFCON. There are 54 countries in Africa for Christ's sake!

And they are hosting the next AFCON too? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 pm I was wondering why Morocco is hosting back-to-back WAFCON. There are 54 countries in Africa for Christ's sake!

And they are hosting the next AFCON too? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The guy is a sore loser. His team is the worst in Afcon history but he chose to divert attention to Morocco. Na Morocco mess up his preparations?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

He may have an axe to grind but he is onto something. Even the preparation comments make sense.

The CAF reaction seems excessive too. Maybe his comments hit a nerve. TFF reaction also seems to be a gesture to placate CAF or distance themselves from the coach’s incendiary comments and get out of paying the coach.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Wow, was that all he said? I thought he used some kind of racial slur.
Over reaction?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Both could be right. His team could be the worst team in the tournament, and Morocco could have undue influence on CAF.

BTW, how can you tell they are worst team in AFCON history when they have only played one game against the no.1 ranked team in Africa?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:51 pm
Undertaker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 pm I was wondering why Morocco is hosting back-to-back WAFCON. There are 54 countries in Africa for Christ's sake!

The guy is a sore loser. His team is the worst in Afcon history but he chose to divert attention to Morocco. Na Morocco mess up his preparations?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:09 am Both could be right. His team could be the worst team in the tournament, and Morocco could have undue influence on CAF.

BTW, how can you tell they are worst team in AFCON history when they have only played one game against the no.1 ranked team in Africa?

Watch their next pls. You have plenty of time anyway .
OCCUPY NFF!!
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Kabalega wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 pm He may have an axe to grind but he is onto something. Even the preparation comments make sense.

The CAF reaction seems excessive too. Maybe his comments hit a nerve. TFF reaction also seems to be a gesture to placate CAF or distance themselves from the coach’s incendiary comments and get out of paying the coach.
The Tanzanian coach is right! Morocco is a sell-out! They even tried to join EU or was it EEU :blink: ? back when we were in H.S. What a joke of an African country. I stopped supporting them when Timoumi retired.
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

The fact that they suspended him over these comments further proves that he could be right.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

naijaguy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:53 am The fact that they suspended him over these comments further proves that he could be right.
For real. Criticism like this usually results in a 20-25k fine and not an 8 game suspension. The king don vex.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kabalega wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 pm He may have an axe to grind but he is onto something. Even the preparation comments make sense.

Kabalega,

It is a genuine question and one that I previously raised either here or on a WhatsApp group. That decision by CAF was mindbogglibg when it was announced coupled with awards to host the women's AFCON.

Note that this is a country that, in the last decade or so, withdrew from an earlier award to host putting CAF into a serious tiff!

Clearly, to recover from such so quickly is shocking and deserves questions. Is it the fact that Morocco constantly hosts games for multiple African countries? That clearly compromises votes of such countries and their supporters. That surely is a question to ask.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:59 pm

Kabalega,

It is a genuine question and one that I previously raised either here or on a WhatsApp group. That decision by CAF was mindbogglibg when it was announced coupled with awards to host the women's AFCON.

Note that this is a country that, in the last decade or so, withdrew from an earlier award to host putting CAF into a serious tiff!

Clearly, to recover from such so quickly is shocking and deserves questions. Is it the fact that Morocco constantly hosts games for multiple African countries? That clearly compromises votes of such countries and their supporters. That surely is a question to ask.
This is actually not new with CAF. Looks like Morocco borrowed a leaf from Egypt.
For decades, it was Egypt influencing CAF before the Arab Spring and Hayatou’s ouster disrupted that relationship.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

They are leading, and have played like the worst team so far.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:38 am
1naija wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:09 am Both could be right. His team could be the worst team in the tournament, and Morocco could have undue influence on CAF.

Watch their next pls. You have plenty of time anyway .
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:35 pm Tanzania coach Adel Amrouche has been suspended at the Africa Cup of Nations finals for making insulting remarks about Morocco, who beat the east African side 3-0 in their opening game at the tournament on Wednesday.

The Tanzania Football Federation said the Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary committee had suspended Amrouche for eight matches following a complaint submitted by Morocco. CAF have yet to make an announcement.

"In another step, the Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) has suspended coach Amrouche. As a result of that decision, Hemed Morocco has been appointed acting coach and he will be assisted by Juma Mgunda," TFF spokesman Clifford Mario Ndimbo said.

Amrouche had said that Morocco held too much sway in the corridors of power in African football and were influencing the appointment of referees.

"The Morocco federation is a proven power in the world of African football. Morocco manages African football. They also choose their referees and we remain simple spectators," Amrouche said in an interview on Algerian television ahead of Wednesday's match.

Amrouche, born in Algeria but a Belgian citizen, said Morocco had "a strike force" within the African confederation doing their bidding.

"For example, during the match between us and Morocco in the World Cup qualifiers in November we asked to play at two p.m.," he said.

It was Tanzania's home game and they wanted to use the daytime heat in Dar es Salaam to their advantage against the Moroccan players, most of whom are based at clubs in Europe.

"But CAF scheduled the match for the evening," Amrouche added.

In the same interview, Amrouche criticised his own federation for changing their pre-tournament preparation camp.

"I had scheduled a preparation camp in Algeria. I even scheduled friendly matches against Mauritania, Cape Verde and Anderlecht.

"But there was influence placed on officials to relocate our place of preparation. So we were forced to prepare in Cairo," he said.

Neighbours Algeria and Morocco have a frosty relationship, with the border between the two countries closed.

Their political rivalry has spilled over into the ranks of African football where last year the two were bidding against each other for the hosting of the next Cup of Nations tournament.

Morocco won the right to host in 2025 with Algeria withdrawing on the eve of the vote in what observers said was a face-saving exercise.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... ng-morocco
If what is written in above is true, I see nothing wrong with what the Tanzanian coach said. Instead of CAF to take a DEEP look at its policies, or politics, CAF is bullying the coach for speaking the truth. What a shame, if you ask me. When will these unfairness on earth going to stop?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Emir, I disagree with you on this one, bro. In all, I think CAF should examine itself and its policies
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

KPAM, times [x] a million. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: