Let Algeria’s elimination serve as a warning to the arrogant

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Let Algeria’s elimination serve as a warning to the arrogant

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Karma can be a very terrible thing. Algeria’s Desert Foxes have been dumped out of the competition, losing to lowly Mauritania of all people in their final group game.

That was Mauritania’s first ever win in the Nation’s Cup. Fancy being beaten by a small nation of 4m people with a meagre GDP of $10bn when you think you are on a par with the likes of Spain.

Algerian social influencer Sofia Benlemmane, was arrested and deported from the Ivory Coast after filming a video in which she used derogatory language on the Africa Cup of Nations host nation.

She said: “They live in misery here. I recorded a video yesterday at the bus station and it’s the worst, like the pre-historic era. If I had some powers, I would have brought Algerians here to witness this.

“What a difference with Algeria! Long live Algeria. I thank God for giving me a country like Algeria. Normally, Algeria is not supposed to be in Africa. It was supposed to be situated between Portugal and Spain.”

Now, Algeria have sacked their coach Djamel Belmadi in response to the humiliation. Mauritania had never led in any of their previous eight matches at the continental finals, let alone won a game but a first half goal from Yali Dellahi was enough to send Algeria packing in a second successive embarrassing early exit for coach Djamel Belmadi’s side after a similar failure in 2021.

Let this be a lesson that arrogance does not pay!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let Algeria’s elimination serve as a warning to the arrogant

Post by danfo driver »

Please move this to World Forum.

Uncle Ayo, you should know better.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:46 pm Please move this to World Forum.

Excuse me!!!

This is about the ongoing Nations Cup. Did you even read it at all!????
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:56 pm

Excuse me!!!

The rules have changed since you first joined the forum in September 1976.

EN is called Eagles Nest and reserved for only Eagles (Falcon, Junor Teams)- related content. Every other thing, including AFCON is sent to the World forum. In fact, we have AFCON match threads there as well. You should join us there, as there are great discussions going on there about the AFCON.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:09 pm

Excuse me!!!

EN is called Eagles Nest and reserved for only Eagles (Falcon, Junor Teams)- related content. Every other thing, including AFCON is sent to the World forum. In fact, we have AFCON match threads there as well. You should join us there, as there are great discussions going on there about the AFCON.
I swear, you be one useless boy :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:.
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Excuse me!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Excuse me!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: 2
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

In hindsight, Algeria would have been better off playing the lads that qualified them for the tournament. At least, they would have developed for the World Cup.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I think the Algerian team needs a bit of tweaking, and its clear that their coach just couldn't do it any longer. Their team actually has some youth but they also have a few ageing stars, whether its Mahrez, Slimane, Bounedjah and Belaili. Perhaps a new coach with a new perspective will be able to fix what is wrong with the team.

I do think we tend to understate the work Mauritania has done to improve its football. They've made excellent use of the 10 million USDs they received from FIFA to improve their infrastructure, building a great state of the art facility for their youth teams. They've done so well that Infantino highlighted their excellent use of the funds. Also, note that Nouadhbou is one of the few W African sides to play in the African champions league and unsurprisingly they have several of their players in the NT.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"