So Mamelodi Sundowns beat WC semifinalist

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
So Mamelodi Sundowns beat WC semifinalist

Post by YUJAM »

S Africa fielded eight players from Sundowns in their starting lineup vs the our much hyped Moroccan team.

What does this say about the standard of football on the continent?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg
Re: So Mamelodi Sundowns beat WC semifinalist

Post by Mzekezeke »

World Cup is overrated.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Doesnt say much. Like Nigeria v. EQG, if Morocco took their chances, they'd have scored 5 or 6 goals. They had so many 1v1 chances -- even when they were own to 10 men, they had two 1v1.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The World cup is easier to win compared to the AFCON, Euros or COPA America
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 pm Doesnt say much. Like Nigeria v. EQG, if Morocco took their chances, they'd have scored 5 or 6 goals. They had so many 1v1 chances -- even when they were own to 10 men, they had two 1v1.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
SuperEagles

smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:11 pm S Africa fielded eight players from Sundowns in their starting lineup vs the our much hyped Moroccan team.

This says more about team cohesion, than about the big names in the team.
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I think it speaks volumes about the emerging high standard of football in Africa, both at the club and national levels. Morocco missed some chances but they were resoundingly beaten by a team that had eight players from one of the best teams in Africa.

We simply can't sweep this under the rug because Morocco supposedly had a bad day.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Well, I hope that RB is not from Mamelodi Sundowns, he got used like toilet paper :lol: Not sure it necessarily elevates the standard of football, but it's definitely encouraging and a moral booster. On another day the score could be different given they gave away that penalty and the number of times that RB was served garri. He's lucky my man Boufal the garrimaster wasn't there. Surely a good day for african football and their success will motivate other countries to look within.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

felarey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:47 pm Well, I hope that RB is not from Mamelodi Sundowns, he got used like toilet paper :lol: Not sure it necessarily elevates the standard of football, but it's definitely encouraging and a moral booster. On another day the score could be different given they gave away that penalty and the number of times that RB was served garri. Surely a good day for african football and their success will motivate other countries to look within.
They just kept dribbling him and he kept falling. He was okay going forward though. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Madau is supposedly one of the best right backs in Africa.

Mokoena, their no 4, is no joke though. He should be playing in a top league abroad. But I understand they get paid enough in the S African league
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 pm Doesnt say much. Like Nigeria v. EQG, if Morocco took their chances, they'd have scored 5 or 6 goals. They had so many 1v1 chances -- even when they were own to 10 men, they had two 1v1.
Let me get this straight.
A team, (Morocco) failed to convert all their numerous 1v1, and man to man chances.
And they were forced into a stupid red card because, well, they were struggling.
They don’t sound good enough.

Also, S. Africa played with a one man advantage after the two goals.
Oh and If S. Africa took their chances the game could have ended at least 3-0.

Morocco is weak in the final third. They were woeful at the World Cup and woeful at AFCON.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:41 pm I think it speaks volumes about the emerging high standard of football in Africa, both at the club and national levels. Morocco missed some chances but they were resoundingly beaten by a team that had eight players from one of the best teams in Africa.

We simply can't sweep this under the rug because Morocco supposedly had a bad day.
Germany and Spain have been doing this for years. Egypt did this to dominate AFCON.

National team coaches have the players for only six FIFA windows in a year. Longer if the team qualifiers for a major tournament like AFCON and the WC. It’s really difficult to build a team without the tournament camps.

One option would be to have strong youth teams and promote their spine to the senior team. Or even better select the players that play together year round. Average players with good chemistry form a way better team than talented players who barely play together.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:49 pm
felarey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:47 pm Well, I hope that RB is not from Mamelodi Sundowns, he got used like toilet paper :lol: Not sure it necessarily elevates the standard of football, but it's definitely encouraging and a moral booster. On another day the score could be different given they gave away that penalty and the number of times that RB was served garri. Surely a good day for african football and their success will motivate other countries to look within.
They just kept dribbling him and he kept falling. He was okay going forward though. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Rumours have it that he's being looked at by Burnley :laugh:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Mzekezeke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm World Cup is overrated.
You already know you won't qualify because of Nigeria.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

I don't have the stats but it seems SA always does fairly well against North Africa, compared to how we have fared better against South Africa. Even an SA coach was employed by a top Egyptian side.

In 2019, SA surprisingly shocked Egypt at AFCON while we defeated SA in the next round. Even at club level, SA sides aren't doing too badly against their North African counterparts, the same sides we are usually hopeless against.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:11 pm S Africa fielded eight players from Sundowns in their starting lineup vs the our much hyped Moroccan team.

football has changed in Africa. It is about how you want it more,, Morroco should have stuck to the World Cup formation, and the way they were playing at the World Cup they forgot that football is different from the world cup..
thanks
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont care, I am NOT Moroccan.
Kabalega wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:00 am
Let me get this straight.
A team, (Morocco) failed to convert all their numerous 1v1, and man to man chances.
And they were forced into a stupid red card because, well, they were struggling.
They don’t sound good enough.

Also, S. Africa played with a one man advantage after the two goals.
Oh and If S. Africa took their chances the game could have ended at least 3-0.

Morocco is weak in the final third. They were woeful at the World Cup and woeful at AFCON.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:17 am
YUJAM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:41 pm I think it speaks volumes about the emerging high standard of football in Africa, both at the club and national levels. Morocco missed some chances but they were resoundingly beaten by a team that had eight players from one of the best teams in Africa.

Germany and Spain have been doing this for years. Egypt did this to dominate AFCON.
:agree:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I mean they made the quarter finals so you cannot argue with their model. Kudos to them. Nwabali is showing that the league is no joke
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:57 pm
chai :atc: :rotf:
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Mzekezeke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm World Cup is overrated.
Exactly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.