AFCON Taking it To Another Level

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON Taking it To Another Level

Post by Kabalega »

Yiperee. AFCON is kicking it up to higher gear. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Quarter and semifinals are usually the best games in a tournament. The final itself is a hit and (more often a) miss game.

So after a round of big boy bashing, it is time for the most exciting phase of AFCON.
BTW, how come most of the round of 16 games were between neighbors? It’s like the universes conspired to create these games between neighbors.
Weird stuff !

Anyway, the big boys are gone, ….almost. :D
And the bookies are jubilating.
For the neutral, it has been exciting.
I need more time to chew and ruminate on the last round of AFCON but alas, it’s time to move on.
So who will win? I don’t know. Looking at the teams left …

Cape Verde

Slick footie, team chemistry, sound tactics. See what sound planning does for a team?
On the green grass, Cape Verde were exposed in the last game, but their maturity and chemistry got them over the hump.
After that scare, I’m sure they will not take any team for granted. Expect them to shift into another gear.

DRC
Do you know that a team can win the World Cup (the old format) or AFCON without winning any game in open play?

Well, DRC have not won any game so far. But count them out at your own peril.

Their manager, De Sabre is no stranger to AFCON. And will be looking to take this talented group all the way to the final.

Fans and well wishers (:wink:) are already dancing “Leopards Fimbu wa Fimbu.”

CIV

This is not the group stage team that Nigeria beat.
CIV has a brand new team.
They have a new coach.
Host team with a new breath of life.
The fans who were close to tears are roaring their home team with new fervor.
And the team is playing with a new found belief.
You don’t want to play them right now.

Nigeria
Will Nwabali start in goal? Or Uzoho?
Will Angola rise up to the 2023 AFCON spirit and send another “big team” home?
I know where I will put my money. :-)

S. Africa
They finally went back to playing their game as a team and beat tournament favorates Morocco.
Many forgot that the Bafana bafana had already beaten Morocco in the WC qualifiers.

The turnaround game for them was against neighbors Namibia who IMHO, chocked, while S. Africa played for their lives.
Will they ride this momentum all the way to the final?
I don’t think, Cape Verde will let them. But if they beat Cape Verde, expect them to racket it up, in the semis.

Guinea
They are going crazy over in Guinea. Even Pascal had to make an appeal to the masses. They are no pushovers.

Mali
Tournament favs right now. They are firing on all cylinders and can fly over any of the other teams.

Angola
Today na Today.
Paseiro faces his student.
The student may have an ace up his sleeve.
I’m sure someone has reminded Angola of how they made it to the World Cup.
Will history repeat itself?

We shall soon find out. :D
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: AFCON Taking it To Another Level

Post by YUJAM »

This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing
Kabalega wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:38 pm Yiperee. AFCON is kicking it up to higher gear. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Quarter and semifinals are usually the best games in a tournament. The final itself is a hit and (more often a) miss game.

So after a round of big boy bashing, it is time for the most exciting phase of AFCON.
BTW, how come most of the round of 16 games were between neighbors? It’s like the universes conspired to create these games between neighbors.
Weird stuff !

Anyway, the big boys are gone, ….almost. :D
And the bookies are jubilating.
For the neutral, it has been exciting.
I need more time to chew and ruminate on the last round of AFCON but alas, it’s time to move on.
So who will win? I don’t know. Looking at the teams left …

Cape Verde

Slick footie, team chemistry, sound tactics. See what sound planning does for a team?
On the green grass, Cape Verde were exposed in the last game, but their maturity and chemistry got them over the hump.
After that scare, I’m sure they will not take any team for granted. Expect them to shift into another gear.

DRC
Do you know that a team can win the World Cup (the old format) or AFCON without winning any game in open play?

Well, DRC have not won any game so far. But count them out at your own peril.

Their manager, De Sabre is no stranger to AFCON. And will be looking to take this talented group all the way to the final.

Fans and well wishers (:wink:) are already dancing “Leopards Fimbu wa Fimbu.”

CIV

This is not the group stage team that Nigeria beat.
CIV has a brand new team.
They have a new coach.
Host team with a new breath of life.
The fans who were close to tears are roaring their home team with new fervor.
And the team is playing with a new found belief.
You don’t want to play them right now.

Nigeria
Will Nwabali start in goal? Or Uzoho?
Will Angola rise up to the 2023 AFCON spirit and send another “big team” home?
I know where I will put my money. :-)

S. Africa
They finally went back to playing their game as a team and beat tournament favorates Morocco.
Many forgot that the Bafana bafana had already beaten Morocco in the WC qualifiers.

The turnaround game for them was against neighbors Namibia who IMHO, chocked, while S. Africa played for their lives.
Will they ride this momentum all the way to the final?
I don’t think, Cape Verde will let them. But if they beat Cape Verde, expect them to racket it up, in the semis.

Guinea
They are going crazy over in Guinea. Even Pascal had to make an appeal to the masses. They are no pushovers.

Mali
Tournament favs right now. They are firing on all cylinders and can fly over any of the other teams.

Angola
Today na Today.
Paseiro faces his student.
The student may have an ace up his sleeve.
I’m sure someone has reminded Angola of how they made it to the World Cup.
Will history repeat itself?

We shall soon find out. :D
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON Taking it To Another Level

Post by marutimon »

With all the other heavyweights out Mali - Cote d'Ivoire is the biggest 1/4 final match up.