Andreas Brehme: Germany World Cup winner dies aged 63

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Andreas Brehme: Germany World Cup winner dies aged 63

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68345885
Former Germany defender Andreas Brehme, who scored the winning goal in the 1990 World Cup final, has died aged 63.

Brehme converted a late penalty in the final of the 1990 tournament to secure victory against Argentina in Rome.

He earned 86 caps, including eight goals, for his country and won league titles while at Kaiserslautern, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan.

Brehme's partner Susanne Schaefer told German news agency DPA that he "died suddenly" from cardiac arrest.

A versatile left-back, Brehme was at Bayern from 1986-88 and won the Bundesliga title with them in 1987.

"FC Bayern is deeply shocked by the sudden death of Andreas Brehme," said the German club.

"We will always keep Andreas Brehme in our hearts - as a world champion and even more so as a very special person.

"He will always be part of the FC Bayern family. Rest in peace, dear Andi."

Brehme played for Kaiserslautern from 1981-86 and 1993-98.

He won the Bundesliga title in 1998 and German Cup in 1996 during his time at the club, with whom he also had a spell as manager from 2000-02.

"The FCK mourns the loss of Andreas Brehme," said a Kaiserslautern statement.

"He wore the Red Devils jersey for a total of 10 years and became German champion and cup winner with FCK.

"In 1990, he shot the German national team to the World Cup title with his penalty and finally became a football legend."

Brehme helped Inter Milan win the Serie A title in 1989 and the Italian club said their players would wear black armbands players when they host Atletico Madrid on Tuesday in the first leg of a last-16 Champions League tie.

"A magnificent player, a true Interista," said Inter. "Ciao Andi, forever a legend."

Brehme was 'a great team player'
Former Germany defender Andreas Brehme celebrates scoring against Argentina in the 1990 World Cup final
Brehme celebrates scoring against Argentina in the 1990 World Cup final
West Germany were managed by Franz Beckenbauer, who died aged 78 in January, at the 1990 World Cup.

Brehme also scored when his country beat England on penalties in the tournament's semi-finals.

"Andreas Brehme is one of the greatest and best football players in German history. German football has a lot to thank him for," said German Football Association president Bernd Neuendorf.

Former Germany forwards Rudi Voller and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge also paid tribute to their ex-team-mate.

"Andi was our World Cup hero, but for me even more - he was my close friend and companion," said Voller.

Rummenigge added: "We played together at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico and Andi was a great team player, who was extremely loyal and reliable.
"His love of life was infectious. The fact he's already gone at the age of 63 makes me very sad."

Former Germany captain Philipp Lahm won the World Cup with his country in 2014 and the full-back made more than 500 appearances for Bayern Munich in an illustrious career.

He said Brehme was part of his earliest memories of football, having watched him score his famous penalty against Argentina aged six.

"Brehme became one of my idols at the World Cup in Italy," he said in a social media post.

"The concentrated, determined look in his eyes, when he started the decisive penalty kick against Argentina in the final... Then he hit, it couldn't be more accurate.

"Andy Brehme was an early, modern defender who played on the right as well as on the left. This also made him a defining part of my career.

"However, no-one was as strong as him. The news came this morning that Andy Brehme had passed away. It's a sad day for German football and for me. Rest in peace."
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Andreas Brehme: Germany World Cup winner dies aged 63

Post by Coach »

Solid left foot, when he hit them, they stayed hit.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

An Inter Milan legend.

Meanwhile very good game vs Atleti

1-0 FT
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

His free kicks were lethal. He was also the author of the most accurate penalty ever taken in the history of the World Cup to win the 1990 final, which coincidentally was the ugliest ever World Cup final(Thank you Argentina :curse: )

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:25 am His free kicks were lethal. He was also the author of the most accurate penalty ever taken in the history of the World Cup to win the 1990 final, which coincidentally was the ugliest ever World Cup final(Thank you Argentina :curse: )
I swear I always thought Klinsman scored the winning goal. If this was a trivia I would’ve failed it. I never saw the goal live because NEPA took light right after Klinsman was upended.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:25 am His free kicks were lethal. He was also the author of the most accurate penalty ever taken in the history of the World Cup to win the 1990 final, which coincidentally was the ugliest ever World Cup final(Thank you Argentina :curse: )
I swear I always thought Klinsman scored the winning goal. If this was a trivia I would’ve failed it. I never saw the goal live because NEPA took light right after Klinsman was upended.
I don't blame you for thinking that. It was Klinsmann's dive :mrgreen: that won the PK for the goal

Wha choo looking at?!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He was the most 2 footed player I have ever seen. He was a LB who had the cojones to take a penalty in the World Cup final with his right foot 🦶 to win the World Cup for Germany 🇩🇪. The fact that a LB was the designated penalty taker in a team with Klinsmann, Voller, Matthaus, Moller, Hassler etc says a lot about Brehme.
Coach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm Solid left foot, when he hit them, they stayed hit.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

wiseone wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm He was the most 2 footed player I have ever seen. He was a LB who had the cojones to take a penalty in the World Cup final with his right foot 🦶 to win the World Cup for Germany 🇩🇪. The fact that a LB was the designated penalty taker in a team with Klinsmann, Voller, Matthaus, Moller, Hassler etc says a lot about Brehme.
Coach wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm Solid left foot, when he hit them, they stayed hit.

His goal against Holland in 1990 was a work of art. With his right foot too!

Wha choo looking at?!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This was the (in)famous game where Rijkaard and Voller were sent off after Rijkaard spat into Voller's hair.

Denis Irwin is the only other full-back who was in Brehme's two-footed level. Irwin started his career as a RB, then simultaneously played LB for Manchester United and RB for Eire 🇮🇪.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:12 pm
His goal against Holland in 1990 was a work of art. With his right foot too!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Great player with a classic left foot. May he rest in peace
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 am
packerland wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 am
I don't blame you for thinking that. It was Klinsmann's dive :mrgreen: that won the PK for the goal
Klinsmann was a World class diver but it was Rudi Voller that won the PK for them with a World class dive!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The best part was that after an Argentine defender tackled Klinsmann's feet, Klinsmann rolled around in agony holding his head as if he took a gunshot to the head.
Undertaker wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:59 pm
Klinsmann was a World class diver but it was Rudi Voller that won the PK for them with a World class dive!