Tyronne Ebuehi on the mental and physical pain of two years

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Tyronne Ebuehi on the mental and physical pain of two years

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/54002495
Nigeria international defender Tyronne Ebuehi has insisted he is raring to go following his recovery from a 'difficult' knee injury.

Netherlands-born Ebuehi has not played first team football since he ruptured cruciate knee ligaments in July 2018.

It means he is yet to play for Portugal's Benfica, who he joined from Dutch club ADO Den Haag after the World Cup in Russia.

The 24-year-old has returned to the Netherlands on loan to FC Twente, who won the Eredivisie title in 2010.

"It's been a long period out and a hard time for me," an emotional Ebuehi told BBC Sport Africa.

"Of course, questions like 'could this be the end?' can pop up from time to time.

"You sometimes hear that with this type of major injuries players never return to the same level they were before the injury.

The injury hit him just as he was trying to settle in a new country after leaving home for the first time in his life.

"It was difficult in the beginning I can't lie about that," he admitted.

"To be away from the only country you have ever known, where you're born and away from your family and friends. You feel alone knowing it was just no longer possible for them to just pass by."

"It's changed me a lot. Not only as a player but as a person.

"Away in another country being alone. Sometimes it's like an unseen tears of frustration because of the mental pain.

"Like I always tell my family and friends now, that I'm thankful to God for this type of hard lessons sometimes in life.

"It really made me aware of lot of things, like how to take care of my body now. How things can happen in football, how to deal with them. I'm thankful for the lessons that God gave me.

"Going forward in my career, I know how to take care of myself and what's good for me, how to handle any future injuries, hopefully it will not happen.

Ebuehi is now determined to take advantage of his latest chance back in the Netherlands.

"I missed the entire 2018/19 season because of this difficult injury, but I'm happy that I'm fit now and I'm thankful that I am able to play the game that I love again," he insisted.

"Twente have given me the chance to show that the last two years was an unfortunate bad luck.

"It would be convenient for some people to write me off but others know better."

Mental strength
Tyronne Ebuehi in action for Nigeria in 2018
Before missing two years of top-flight football Tyronne Ebuehi had realised his dream of playing for Nigeria at a World Cup
Ebuehi admits it would have been difficult for him to overcome his problems had he lacked a tough mental upbringing and family support.

"I know the type of person and player that I am. I've always been that person and player that works hard, always did extra and a bit more than my teammates," he pointed out.

"So once I suffered this injury, it was the same mindset that I retained to enable me get back stronger from my injury.

"Yes, things didn't go the way they should've gone for me, it took a long time.

"But one thing I've always been doing this last two years was to keep working hard. That's how I was raised and taught by my parents.

"From the start of the year I have invested so much in myself to be as fit as possible.

"My family and friends supported me by coming around as much as possible. I'm thankful for having them in my life. This situation makes you appreciate life.

Outside looking in
Benfica celebrate winning the 2019 Portuguese league title
One of the harder moments for Tyronne Ebuehi was Benfica winning the Portuguese league title having not played a game for them
His first season at the club brought some very mixed emotions for Ebuehi because Benfica won the Portuguese league title and he could only sit and watch his team-mates play.

He admitted that it was not easy having to go to the club's training ground for his rehabilitation and seeing the rest of the squad preparing as usual.

"As a player, you always want to play and train. When you get in the dressing room, you greet other players but unable to join them," he explained.

" It was hard for me because I wanted to be a part of the first team action desperately.

"Most of the rehabilitation was done in Portugal to enable the club monitor my recovery. Naturally, the club keeps a close eye on you when you are dealing with something like this.

"You go to the club for rehab but no one to talk to when you return home. But luckily my family and friends popped in sometimes so that helped."

One of his hardest moments came in May last year as Benfica won a 37th league title, with Ebuehi cutting a forlorn figure in the dressing room as the players around him celebrated.

Cold and emotionless as teammates Haris Seferovic, Joao Felix and Rafa Silva celebrated wildly by popping champagne next to him, the Nigerian admitted that he was a poor spectator.

"I didn't play an official game. Of course, I was happy for my teammates and also for the club for winning the title. But it didn't really feel like I also won the title," he reflected.

"I was there but I didn't feel like part of anything. It's pointless to celebrate or fake it like I've done something when in reality I would've loved to contribute."

Things improved slightly last season for Ebuehi as he finally got to play some football but was restricted to seven appearances for Benfica's B team and the same number for the under-23's.

But he then suffered another setback as a muscle injury dented his hopes of making an international comeback and he was forced to endure another frustrating spell on the sidelines.

A caged Eagle
Tyronne Ebuehi
Tyronne Ebuehi wants to get back to playing regular first-team football and force his way into the Nigeria squad again
His club frustrations were mirrored at international level.

With Nigeria struggling to fill a decade-long troubled right-back position, the Super Eagles finished third on their return to the Africa Cup of Nations in the summer of 2019 in Egypt.

Gernot Rohr's young side fell agonisingly short in the semi-finals against eventual winners Algeria and Ebuehi said he passionately followed the crushing heartache in North Africa.

"I saw every game. It wasn't easy for me. I always wanted to be with the team and play in my first Nations Cup," he said.

"For me international breaks is always special, the friendships I've made and formed with the coaching and backroom staff, teammates and everyone in Nigeria.

"I was very proud. I miss that a lot but life is life. I was happy to see them play the way they did, unfortunately we didn't win but I know better days will come for us and more success. I cannot wait to be a part of the team again.

"Of course teammates, the coach, the staff and even the fans were in touch. I spoke with a lot of my teammates.

"William Troost-Ekong is like a big brother who never stopped giving me the necessary support. They've all been incredibly nice to me and I appreciate that.

"I can't thank the Nigerian fans enough. I don't check my social media messages everyday but once in a while I do and I see some amazing and incredible messages.

"So many people praying and wishing me well despite being away for two years. I will continue to be grateful for the support I get."

Recovery and self-discovery
Ebuehi remains philosophical about what he has been through over the last two years.

"The last two years has shown me that everything happens for a reason in life," he insisted.

"This big injury and difficulty with my rehab - I think it's a big test and God wanted to show how strong I am. I think I've passed that test.

"I have never invested so much of myself in training like I have done this past five months. I was always the one who wanted to do more than others. Honestly, this year I've done everything I could to be as much as I can.

"I'm thankful for the opportunity and the chance with Twente to show myself again and the player I am now. I believe I am a stronger, more physical and better player than I was before the injury.

"I don't like to talk too much, I want my feet to do the talking.

"This year is an opportunity to show that the last two years was just bad luck and no more injury will come. I know all the other things will follow and come naturally with hard work."

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Tyronne Ebuehi on the mental and physical pain of two ye

Post by Mr Shows »

Can't wait to see him back in the GWG... He is a baller with great composure. Both aura and touch like Finidi George..
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Mr Shows wrote:Can't wait to see him back in the GWG... He is a baller with great composure. Both aura and touch like Finidi George..
Kpom!

Ebuehi is a certified baller
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Mr Shows wrote:Can't wait to see him back in the GWG... He is a baller with great composure. Both aura and touch like Finidi George..
I would like to see him back in action but I'm worried that Benfica allowed him to leave on loan without playing him for over a year after he recovered from the injury.
I am happy
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

I am glad he is back to the field now and I pray for him to be successful in his quest to get back to form again. Welcome back Ebuehi. We love you.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

A well-loved Super Eagle.
Glad he's back.

For those CEs who have played the game at the highest level, it'd be nice to know first hand the psychological challenges faced on returning from serious injury.
Physically its one thing but many speak about getting your head right once back on the field.

It can't be easy and for some, they never fully recover.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Played 75 minutes for Twente yesterday! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
justpower
Egg
Egg

Post by justpower »

Glad he's back. Had a good game also. With his talent, I'm certain he will reclaim his RB spot in SE
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

justpower wrote:Glad he's back. Had a good game also. With his talent, I'm certain he will reclaim his RB spot in SE

With the arrival of the newly discovered Nigerians in Germany the defense is wil be extremely competitive. Ebuehi will have to battle Aina, Ehizebue for that position. The CD also be extremely competitive now that Akpoguma,Torunarigha and Udokhai are Nigerians. Can't wait to read the lips of players during the national anthem. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
justpower wrote:Glad he's back. Had a good game also. With his talent, I'm certain he will reclaim his RB spot in SE

With the arrival of the newly discovered Nigerians in Germany the defense is wil be extremely competitive. Ebuehi will have to battle Aina, Ehizebue for that position. The CD also be extremely competitive now that Akpoguma,Torunarigha and Udokhai are Nigerians. Can't wait to read the lips of players during the national anthem. :thumb:
Ebuehi is more talented than any RB we have now, injury really did the kid dirty... But I'm glad he's back in good form and time for the AFCON qualifiers.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I see Rhor is slowly but surely domesticating you.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote:

Ebuehi is more talented than any RB we have now, injury really did the kid dirty... But I'm glad he's back in good form and time for the AFCON qualifiers.

More talented than Aina and the boy from FC Koln? :shock:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

More talented than Aina and the boy from FC Koln? :shock:
You can take that to the bank and cash it!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote:

He needs to work on his crossing, other than that he's likely the most skilled of the bunch when attacking but Ehizibue is better defensively.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Played 90 mins in his team win I caught the last few minutes of the game so cannot comment on performance .
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Watched him vs Feyenoord (it’s on ESPN+) and he played well, wasn’t fully fit because he started cramping in the 70th minute and had to be subbed out, but he’s getting back to his best. Does need to work on his crossing, the few times he did cross weren’t his best plays, did seem to prefer to cut in than go towards the corner flag to put in a cross.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ebuehi playing 90 minutes is huge considering he's been out for so long. Glad he's making progress.
Flex Swift wrote:Played 90 mins in his team win I caught the last few minutes of the game so cannot comment on performance .