D’TIGERS Tokyo 2021

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: D’TIGERS Tokyo 2021

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

truetalk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:35 am The longlist is a joke. Ezeli, Emeka Okafor (I've watched UCONN in Hartford, Bridgeport & MSG, and I'm the biggest fan, but C'mon) and even Diogu should not be on that list.

Two of the brightest spots from college last year are clearly among the best 12 Nigerians available & both would be in the NBA next year. Charles Bassey and Ayo Dosummu.

I'll take out Monte Morris (no need for Mercs, & I'm all for closer ties with our Afam Brothers, but this is just 'Mercing') and Uzoh from K's list and add Dosunmu (1st team all American is not beans), who is probably the best Nigerian guard on the planet today. & Azubuike, for that bulk in the paint.

Ben Uzoh has not looked good in the last year or two & age might be catching up. Ireogbu has been available and loyal to the team, but has not always played with that poise that is needed at the high level.

If we get it right, & avoid our other team (USA), no reason for us not to medal.
Emeka Okafor is top quality. The only downside is his age, 38, and fitness, perhaps. If he’s fit, D’Tigres don’t have a better big man❗️

Cheers.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Bell wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:31 am
truetalk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:43 am
Bell wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:12 am
K wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:31 am
Bell wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:26 pm

MY PICKS FOR A 12-MAN SQUAD (based on this list)

1) Monte Morris (lock), UC Iroegbu
2) Josh Okogie, Gabe Vincent
3) OG Annunoby (lock), KZ Okpala, Al Farouq Aminu (lock, I think he's a 3, not a 4)
4) Warith Alatishe, Efe Abogidi
5) Chimezie Metu (lock), Jahlil Okafor, Precious Achiuwa
Bell
I adisagree with your number 4s. Chimezie can play 4. I think you mean IKe and not UC Iroegbu

My 12 would be:
1. Monte Morris
2. Ike iroegbu
3. Ben Uzoh
4. Josh Okogie
5. Gabe Vincent
6. OG Anunoby
7. KZ Okpala
8. Jordan Nwora
9. Al-farouq Aminu
10. Precious Achiuwa
11. Chimezie Metu
12. Jahlil Okafor
WE AGREE ON 10 OUT OF 12

Not bad. I have both Alatishe and Abogidi both of whom played college in 2021 and were impressive but I'm not sure if they can beat the other contenders.
Bell
Now I get it.

You are watching that soft PAC 10 (or is it 12 now) Basketball out west (& don't tell me about UCLA and Alcindor)

Your PAC 10 Naija players should not be on the same court with Conference USA player of the year Charles Bassey, & 1st team All-American Ayo Dosunmu.

I wonder who compiled this list as these 2 young men are among the top 15 Nigerian basketballers at the moment. It makes no sense that they were not even on the longlist.
SO TELL ME...

...since you've been listening to the pundits who have convinced you that basketball is played only east of the Mississippi, how many teams from the Pac XII (not Pac X, proof that you're not keeping up) were in the Elite 8? And in what conference did the likely 2nd pick in the 2021 draft play? While we're at it, the NCAA is a national tournament and you may want to check how Alatishe and Abogidi performed against non-Pac XII teams. And let's not leave him out, in what conference did Hawk center Onyeka Okongwu play?
Bell
B4 I tell

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/2021-nba-mo ... 42574.html

Show me your PAC 10 Naija College Baller on this list.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-p-now-stan ... 55872.html

Here is the man to blame.

I was wondering what happened out West. Even in football? The sport where USC and Oregon put fear in the hearts of most not that long aga!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Why wasnt Charles Bassey selected???
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

bret- hart wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:18 am Why wasnt Charles Bassey selected???
Charles Bassey (CUSA player of the year) & Ayo Dosunmu (1st team All American) would start on that team, and do not make the longlist of over 40.

It is like people do not get what it is to be a first team all American. You are one of the top 5.

Nigerian Basketball is a goldmine, but it is very very badly run (the local league has been stalled for 3 years).
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

truetalk wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:43 am
bret- hart wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:18 am Why wasnt Charles Bassey selected???
Charles Bassey (CUSA player of the year) & Ayo Dosunmu (1st team All American) would start on that team, and do not make the longlist of over 40.

It is like people do not get what it is to be a first team all American. You are one of the top 5.

Nigerian Basketball is a goldmine, but it is very very badly run (the local league has been stalled for 3 years).

Isnt Ayo playing for US youth team? It might be hard to get him. But Bassey is 100% Naija born and raised. I dont know why Brown left him out for washed up Emeka Okafor :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

How a nothing and nobody can open his mouth and describe Emeka Okafor as washed up is beyond me but that’s the Internet for you. Bassey, at this point, can only hope he acquires Emeka’s pedegree. He’s got a long, long way to go❗️

Cheers.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 am How a nothing and nobody can open his mouth and describe Emeka Okafor as washed up is beyond me but that’s the Internet for you. Bassey, at this point, can only hope he acquires Emeka’s pedegree. He’s got a long, long way to go❗️

Cheers.

Pedegree my arse. When Emeka Okafor was younger he chose USA. Now he is a washed up has been he wants to play for Nigeria. Bassey is 100% Nigerian. Dude is ready. I will take him over both Okafors in camp right now.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

bret- hart wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:25 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 am How a nothing and nobody can open his mouth and describe Emeka Okafor as washed up is beyond me but that’s the Internet for you. Bassey, at this point, can only hope he acquires Emeka’s pedegree. He’s got a long, long way to go❗️

Cheers.

Pedegree my arse. When Emeka Okafor was younger he chose USA. Now he is a washed up has been he wants to play for Nigeria. Bassey is 100% Nigerian. Dude is ready. I will take him over both Okafors in camp right now.
You would have been better served posting in Rant and Rave. As far as basketball discussions go, you have nothing substantial to contribute❗️

Cheers.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:36 am

Cheers.

You would have been better served posting in Rant and Rave. As far as basketball discussions go, you have nothing substantial to contribute❗️

Cheers.

You're being emotional about this. I have followed Emeka Okafor from his first semester in UCONN till his last season as a pro. My posts of this forum over the years should prove just how big a fan I am.

There is no basis for this callup. Mek last played a full NBA season in 2013 before injuries forced him to take a break. He has been trying to make a comeback and last played in Korea before COVID. It will be good if he is trying to get into the Nigerian Basketball setup, as he is a solid guy all around, but not to compete for a spot on the Olympic team.

The only thing I can think of is if they want to have select 2 teams at the same time. One for the Olympics and the other for Afrobasket.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Cheers.

Cheers.
You and Emeka Okafor can kick rocks. Where was he in 2004 2008 2012 and 2016? He chose to play for USA then but now he is washed up he wants Nigera. I guess in 2028 Victor Oladipo will finally play for Nigeria and you will be his number 1 cheerleader. I want young talented Nigerian ballers in the dtigers team who are ready to wear the GWG at a moment notice not mercenaries like Okafor and the black Americans in camp.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

bret- hart wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:14 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
You and Emeka Okafor can kick rocks. Where was he in 2004 2008 2012 and 2016? He chose to play for USA then but now he is washed up he wants Nigera. I guess in 2028 Victor Oladipo will finally play for Nigeria and you will be his number 1 cheerleader. I want young talented Nigerian ballers in the dtigers team who are ready to wear the GWG at a moment notice not mercenaries like Okafor and the black Americans in camp.
Unfortunately for you, it’s not up to you. Sounds like you’re sshhitt out of luck. Be careful the rocks Emeka and I kick don’t hit you in the face :mrgreen: ❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

at least we have a bball team going , also looking forward to the girls too
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Five straight tune up games against Team USA.

Awesome.

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/tatum-team- ... 18460.html

Selection should be finalized after this.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:27 am Five straight tune up games against Team USA.

Awesome.

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/tatum-team- ... 18460.html

Selection should be finalized after this.
That Team USA is willing to play all five exhibition games against Nigeria says an awful lot about the strength of the Nigerian squad❗️

Cheers.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Group set

Nigeria, Australia, Italy and Germany.

If the right team is selected, we can win all 3 games.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cheers.

Thank you! I can't believe people are hyping Okafor.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Cheers.

Agree with everything (maybe not the sentiment) sans the dig at Jahlil.

Jahlil's defense gets knocked a lot, and he has not been fortunate to have an NBA coach that is as patient with him as Monty has been with Ayton. I personally think he should have spent a couple of more years at Duke to develop a good work ethic, which will include better habits and defense traits.

But, this young man is gifted in the paint. The post moves are not far from Hakeem, yes the same Hakeem Olajuwon that Kobe rates top 5 all time. I know it might sound like sacrilege to some here.

Being in a Nigerian camp might just revive something in him. He was ACC player of the year and 1st team all American (I believe he, Dosunmu and Mek are the only 3 Nigerians with that honour) as a FRESHMAN.

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

From an unlinked nairaland quote, so waiting to confirm. The team is missing some size without Azubuike, but 7 footers are hard to find even in the US. Imagine if we had Ayton. Also talks about the trio from Miami, but is missing Gabe Vincent Nnamdi. This takes the provisional list to 16. We'll just have to wait and see.

It was gathered that head coach Mike Brown listed four debutants in the squad – Miami Heat trio Precious Achiuwa, Kezie Okpala and Miye Oni and Detroit Pistons’ Jahlil Okafor.

Other players listed in the squad are Josh Okogie (Minnesota Timberwolves), Jordan Nwora (Milwaukee Bucks), Chimezie Metu (Sacramento Kings), Ike Iroegbu (Elan Chalon, France), Michael Gbinije (BC Nevezie, Lithuania), Obi Emegano (Fuenlabrada, Spain), Calab Agada (Hapoel Be’er Sheva), Stanley Okoye (Herbalife Gran Canaria), Miye Oni (Utah Jazz), Ekpe Udoh (Beijing RF, China), Chima Moneke (Orleans, France)
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

If they can get Arike, this team might be better than Team USA.

For the women’s national team, coach Otis Hughley listed three new players — Erica Ogwumike, Oderah Chidom and Elizabeth Williams — in his squad.

Ogwumike’s sisters Nneka, a World Cup winner with the US in 2014 and 2018, and Chiney, also made the squad.

The other players who made the squad are Adaora Elonu, Aisha Balarabe, Amy Amukamara, Atonye Nyingifa, Ezinne Kalu, Pallas Kunayi-Akpanah, Ifunaya Ibekwe, Amy Okonkwo and Victoria Macauley.

Also, exciting power forward Evelyn Akhator missed out from D’Tigress squad for the Olympics, following COVID-19 travel restrictions, which prevented her from joining the other players in camp in the United States.

D’Tigress are drawn against USA, France and hosts Japan.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

For the women’s national team, coach Otis Hughley listed three new players — Erica Ogwumike, Oderah Chidom and Elizabeth Williams — in his squad.

Ogwumike’s sisters Nneka, a World Cup winner with the US in 2014 and 2018, and Chiney, also made the squad.

The other players who made the squad are Adaora Elonu, Aisha Balarabe, Amy Amukamara, Atonye Nyingifa, Ezinne Kalu, Pallas Kunayi-Akpanah, Ifunaya Ibekwe, Amy Okonkwo and Victoria Macauley.

Also, exciting power forward Evelyn Akhator missed out from D’Tigress squad for the Olympics, following COVID-19 travel restrictions, which prevented her from joining the other players in camp in the United States.

Man getting Nneka is HUGE. Its like SEs getting Saka x 5. I think the women's team can medal o :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Cheers.

Agree with everything (maybe not the sentiment) sans the dig at Jahlil.

Jahlil's defense gets knocked a lot, and he has not been fortunate to have an NBA coach that is as patient with him as Monty has been with Ayton. I personally think he should have spent a couple of more years at Duke to develop a good work ethic, which will include better habits and defense traits.

But, this young man is gifted in the paint. The post moves are not far from Hakeem, yes the same Hakeem Olajuwon that Kobe rates top 5 all time. I know it might sound like sacrilege to some here.

Being in a Nigerian camp might just revive something in him. He was ACC player of the year and 1st team all American (I believe he, Dosunmu and Mek are the only 3 Nigerians with that honour) as a FRESHMAN.

I like Jalil. Its the other Okafor i dont like. He is even more connected to Nigeria than Jalil yet its Jalil that always identified with Naija. Emeka OTOH shunned us at his prime. Now he wants to crawl back. No way. I would rather take a younger promising player in place. We have Naija boyz out there ready to wear the green white green that can ball. Better them than the likes of Emeka Okafor, V.Oladipo and Giannis Adetokumbo that want nothing to do with Nigeria.

kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Evelyn wasn't able to make due to covid I hear.
The Ogwumike sisters is still just rumours as nothng has been confirmed by any reliable source.
Erica Ogwumike is on the roster tho. she is at the camp. Chiney and Nneka are nowhere to be seen and to bring them in now when the team already seem set in place, wouldn't make sense. AfroBasket is coming up - if Chiney & Nneka are called up then maybe they can be called up then.
truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.