My 8 take aways after Cape Verde and Liberia

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
My 8 take aways after Cape Verde and Liberia

Post by chief nfachairman »

and SE in general.

1. By World cup, Nov 22 (We shall qualify), our attack would Chidera Ejuke, Osimhem and CHukwueze. Chidera is a handful like Chukwueze and Osimhem. He hits the ball very well too. CSKA is doing a fine job on him.

2. Bonke has come to stay. HE did his job very well in that middle. He made it a battleground. HE also showed up for his defenders to pick up the pass and hit the simple pass to the next man. He couldnt get complex becuase he's new to the team and needs to understand the movement of his other players. He has 3/4 more solid years to give the SE before he ends up in China, Qatar, etc.

I covered him here 2 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295151&p=5443327&hi ... e#p5443327

3. SE now have legit central/ Defensive midfield options going into the ANC and WC next year.
Ndidi - LEicester (EPL)
Etebo - Watford (EPL)
Onyeka - Brentford (EPL)
Bonke - Malmo (Swedish giants currently in the CL group stages)

4. Im afraid kingsley micheal would be dropping back to the reserve list once the other players are back. He would have to slug it out with Alhassan Yusuf, if any of the above is out.

5. Aribo should be pushed forward to play where he knows best. Attacking midfield and left and right mid/ attack. Gerard has said it over and over again that Aribo is a beast when given a free role in the AM position. ROhr needs to wake up! Aribo and Iwobi should go ahead to ahead and compete here.

6. Awaziem would be Troost Ekong's partner in the defense by 2022. Injuries have made Balogun pretty inconsistent.

7. We are thin with our central defense options. Thank God Rohr went to rent another Oyinbo for us, Akpoguma. Omeruo is getting to the China age already. Junior Pius is doing great at St.Trudient. He's had several issues bothering on crime and was again arrested late last year at MMIA. I understand he's a very divisive person. http://omasports.com/index.php/2020/12/ ... -of-funds/

8. Collins needs to get out of Bundesliga 2 and Sanusi must win his shirt back at Porto else our backline would be average by WC.
Paveman
Egg
Egg
Re: My 8 take aways after Cape Verde and Liberia

Post by Paveman »

Some good points chief. I think apart from the age-old problematic GK position - but at least Okoye has locked down a starting shirt in the Eredivisie, and he will have 2 solid seasons behind him before the WC - the SE is turning out to be a solid prospect for a good World Cup run.

The central defensive position, after looking very strong these last couple of years, is now looking less solid. Troost, and especially Omeruo have been on a downward trend, Balogun, who was always ‘a reserve’ is not the real deal, and Ozornwafor and Awaziem have not yet translated the hype (and in the case of Awaziem, a number of good SE performances) to proper levels. They are still ‘prospects’ so to speak.

The full backs are improving - Aina has experience now, Ebuehi seems to have put his injury behind him and should enjoy a good season in Serie A and Sanusi should find his way back to the Porto XI (otherwise he should leave in January). Jamilu is the most consistent with regards game time, but as you say Bundesliga 2 is not the place to be.

I think you are spot on with regards both CM and AM. Barring some great ascent (or descent) these are the players who will take us to the WC. Bonke will need to fight for the last available place, because I believe that in the end Rohr will opt for one more attacking winger/striker (Ejuke) knowing that both Ajayi and Aribo could fill in in CM. Kingsley, I suspect, is not yet ready for the big time, and I fear he will have very little game time this year with Bologna.

As for Attacking wingers we have an abundance (Kalu, Moses, Chukwueze, Musa, Kelechi, Onyekuru, Ejuke etc) and I think Rohr will take both Osimhen and Onuachu to the WC although Simy might sneak in. I think especially in attack, it will really depend on club form and confidence in the last 3 months before the WC.

Final 23 barring injuries? - still 18 months to go, anything can happen I guess, the ANC will also give us lots of food for thought.

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Aina, Ebuehi, Collins, Sanusi
Troost, Awaziem, Ajayi, Akpoguma
Ndidi, Etebo, Onyeka, Aribo, Iwobi
Kelechi, Chukwueze, Kalu, Ejuke, Musa
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:
Alampasu, Shehu, Balogun, Ozornwafor, Omeruo, Kingsley, Bonke, Simon, Olayinka, Onyekuru, Okereke, Moffi, Dessers, Dennis, Simy, Awoniyi, Sadiq.

Interested to hear your views.
Last edited by Paveman on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I don’t think Ajayi has long left in the SE ranks. Akpoguma will ensure that.
Omeruo also seems way past it, but short of a new quality centre back emerging from somewhere, he might just survive for another year.
I think Sadiq can force his way in at the expense of Onuachu. He is more versatile yet has similar attributes.
Musa won’t make the WC if we qualify. Rohr won’t carry the sentiment that far.

Still looking for that ‘missing link’ - the creative midfield genius.
I’ve not given up on Eze, Ejaria and Olise. Just one of them might help.
But that’s another story for another day.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Paveman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 pm Some good points chief. I think apart from the age-old problematic GK position - but at least Okoye has locked down a starting shirt in the Eredivisie, and he will have 2 solid seasons behind him before the WC - the SE is turning out to be a solid prospect for a good World Cup run.

The central defensive position, after looking very strong these last couple of years, is now looking less solid. Troost, and especially Omeruo have been on a downward trend, Balogun, who was always ‘a reserve’ is not the real deal, and Ozornwafor and Awaziem have not yet translated the hype (and in the case of Awaziem, a number of good SE performances) to proper levels. They are still ‘prospects’ so to speak.

The full backs are improving - Aina has experience now, Ebuehi seems to have put his injury behind him and should enjoy a good season in Serie A and Sanusi should find his way back to the Porto XI (otherwise he should leave in January). Jamilu is the most consistent with regards game time, but as you say Bundesliga 2 is not the place to be.

I think you are spot on with regards both CM and AM. Barring some great ascent (or descent) these are the players who will take us to the WC. Bonke will need to fight for the last available place, because I believe that in the end Rohr will opt for one more attacking winger/striker (Ejuke) knowing that both Ajayi and Aribo could fill in in CM. Kingsley, I suspect, is not yet ready for the big time, and I fear he will have very little game time this year with Bologna.

As for Attacking wingers we have an abundance (Kalu, Moses, Chukwueze, Musa, Kelechi, Onyekuru, Ejuke etc) and I think Rohr will take both Osimhen and Onuachu to the WC although Simy might sneak in. I think especially in attack, it will really depend on club form and confidence in the last 3 months before the WC.

Final 23 barring injuries? - still 18 months to go, anything can happen I guess, the ANC will also give us lots of food for thought.

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:
Alampasu, Shehu, Balogun, Ozornwafor, Omeruo, Kingsley, Bonke, Simon, Olayinka, Onyekuru, Okereke, Moffi, Dessers, Dennis, Simy.

Okoye has tied down the Gk spot. 1 more solid season in the Dutch league would ensure more improvements. Uzoho would improve in Cyprus albeit at a much slower pace than Okoye.

I thnk Shehu is higher on the list than Ajayi and Bonke is more of what ROhr likes in the midfield, a war general. Again, unless Ajayi goes back to the EPL and plays, he would not make it to the WC.

As for the strikers, im thinking MOffi might just get the nod over simy if he maintains his form in the Lique 1.

Musa could make the ANC team but I highly doubt the world cup.

this is my best 23 so far. I would not go with 4 fullbacks especially when Aina can play both including Awaziem and Akpoguma,

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Aina, Ebuehi, Collins/Sanusi
Troost, Awaziem, Akpoguma, Balogun*
Chukwueze, Kalu, Ejuke, Simon
Kelechi, Osimhen, Onuachu/Moffi

I would leave 1 free spot for a likely breakout star Amoo, etc and the likes of Bonle, Kingsley, Abdullai, etc.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 pm I don’t think Ajayi has long left in the SE ranks. Akpoguma will ensure that.
Omeruo also seems way past it, but short of a new quality centre back emerging from somewhere, he might just survive for another year.
I think Sadiq can force his way in at the expense of Onuachu. He is more versatile yet has similar attributes.

I believe Aribo can step into that AM role perfectly. HIs coach thinks he's on the way to world class and that role suits him best. WHy is Rohr now playing him as a box to box or twin pivot?

LEts see what Benitez does to Iwobi. HE might just explode this season.

Olise met Ejaria in Reading and has left him. Eze and Ejaria started together in Championship and Eze don leave am. For now, Ejaria should focus on his career in the Championship. We need standards.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:01 am
Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 pm I don’t think Ajayi has long left in the SE ranks. Akpoguma will ensure that.

I believe Aribo can step into that AM role perfectly. HIs coach thinks he's on the way to world class and that role suits him best. WHy is Rohr now playing him as a box to box or twin pivot?

Olise met Ejaria in Reading and has left him. Eze and Ejaria started together in Championship and Eze don leave am. For now, Ejaria should focus on his career in the Championship. We need standards.
Good point there. I don't watch The Championship much so my views on Ejaria are probably inaccurate.
I expected him to have been picked up by an EPL team and I was also hoping Aribo would do the same. Again, I hardly watch the Scottish Premiership and moreover I don't rate it that highly so it is hard to know the true level of its top players.
Aribo should definitely be thinking of moving up. I can only rate him from his SE games and he is on and off, often quite anonymous.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Paveman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 pm Some good points chief. I think apart from the age-old problematic GK position - but at least Okoye has locked down a starting shirt in the Eredivisie, and he will have 2 solid seasons behind him before the WC - the SE is turning out to be a solid prospect for a good World Cup run.

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:
Alampasu, Shehu, Balogun, Ozornwafor, Omeruo, Kingsley, Bonke, Simon, Olayinka, Onyekuru, Okereke, Moffi, Dessers, Dennis, Simy.

You need to be cyber slapped for including Musa in your world cup list, what nonsense
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:

Musa to the World Cup? He'll be 32 then.... as at now his game is badly dropped.....
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

mapet wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:

Musa to the World Cup? He'll be 32 then.... as at now his game is badly dropped.....
Musa is going to the world cup if we qualify, take that to the bank.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

gochino wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:58 pm
mapet wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Okoye, Uzoho, Akpeyi
Osimhen, Onuachu

Main omissions:

Musa is going to the world cup if we qualify, take that to the bank.
Yeah, maybe as a sideline and dressing room motivational speaker :thumb:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

chief nfachairman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:01 am

Standards ?

Yet 2 of our key players play in Scotland, a piss poor league if ever there was one.

The championship is a higher level than Scotland.

Or what about Cyprus ? That 2 of our players play in.

We don't have attacking midfielders in top leagues so we have to get them from where they are.

Ejaria was one of the highest rated players in Chamlionship according to whoscored. Ive watched him play and he will be an asset to our team. Similar to Ejukes dribbling style bit a better passing range.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Agree with you on Ajayi - not sure he can make the AFCON or WC teams. But, you never know...
Per centerbacks, Omeruo might be on the way out too. His speed is suspect and I would hazard a guess that Torunariga may join the SE ranks soon.
Not holding much hope on Sadiq or Onuachu - I think Terem is about to kick that door down and claim a Striker spot. Onuachu is way too lethargic upfront to make any meaningful impact against quality teams, when it truly matters.
On Musa, his old age is really showing now. His performance against Cape Verde was poor. He was out of sink with the rest of the team - wrong passes, wrong decision making and not adding much value to the team effort. Hopefully, once he gets his 100 caps, we can move forward without having to pander to his needing to be on the team.

Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

I based my team on what Rohr will do. I think Musa will be at the World Cup.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Like was stated earlier, disagree with you on Ejaria. After watching him play severally in the Championship over several years, not sure he will map into the SE. The fact that Olise was initially his deputy at Reading, then surpassed him and then moved to the EPL speaks volumes. Not to mention, he wasn't even sought after by any team this transfer window. We need to move on from Ejaria.
An attacking midfielder that I believe will step up for consideration is the kid whose now at Portimonense in Portugal, Ayomide Marcus. Very skillful, pacy and a deft passer of the ball, he is also left footed (something Rohr loves) and can also play off the wings. I would think in the next year or two, he will move to a much bigger club and put pressure on making the squad.
Speaking of strikers, everyone seems to have overlooked Taiwo Awoniyi, who has finally settled down in the Bundesliga and is really making a statement for himself.
Honestly, I really think Onuachu is on his way out, with the likes of Awoniyi and Moffi getting full consideration. Interesting times for the SE :thumbs:
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 pm Standards ?

Yet 2 of our key players play in Scotland, a piss poor league if ever there was one.

We don't have attacking midfielders in top leagues so we have to get them from where they are.

Ejaria was one of the highest rated players in Chamlionship according to whoscored. Ive watched him play and he will be an asset to our team. Similar to Ejukes dribbling style bit a better passing range.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:27 pm Like was stated earlier, disagree with you on Ejaria. After watching him play severally in the Championship over several years, not sure he will map into the SE. The fact that Olise was initially his deputy at Reading, then surpassed him and then moved to the EPL speaks volumes. Not to mention, he wasn't even sought after by any team this transfer window. We need to move on from Ejaria.

you sound like somebody with an agenda

why should we move on from EJaria ? When he hasn't even been given a chance and he is a position we lack serious options.

What does Olise surpassing him have to do with anything ? Just because Olise is a talent is not a knock on EJaria.

and as for "why have no teams come after him?"

Well I can say the same thing about Aribo, or Onuachu, or Onyekuru,

Abraham Marcus ? They guy isn't even a midfielder and was invited while playing in an inferior Portugese 2nd division.

Nothing you say is making any sense bro, seems you just dont like Ejaria for some wierd reason.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:27 pm Like was stated earlier, disagree with you on Ejaria. After watching him play severally in the Championship over several years, not sure he will map into the SE. The fact that Olise was initially his deputy at Reading, then surpassed him and then moved to the EPL speaks volumes. Not to mention, he wasn't even sought after by any team this transfer window. We need to move on from Ejaria.

why should we move on from EJaria ? When he hasn't even been given a chance and he is a position we lack serious options.

What does Olise surpassing him have to do with anything ? Just because Olise is a talent is not a knock on EJaria.

Abraham Marcus ? They guy isn't even a midfielder and was invited while playing in an inferior Portugese 2nd division.

Nothing you say is making any sense bro, seems you just dont like Ejaria for some wierd reason.
Some 'weird reason' abi people are not allowed to watch a player and form their own conclusions that might differ from yours without it being labeled an 'agenda'? Ejaria hasn't even been cleared yet to play for us, I'm sure if he ever does and gets called we will all have a chance to see what he can bring. But based on his club play, I also share Otitokoro's pessimism having watched a few of his games (trying to see the Olise hype), I realized he seems like more of a luxury player while Olise was more productive one. But we could be wrong and he proves to be a useful SE in the long run, but doesn't mean we had an agenda against him...by the way how far with your Shehu agenda? I noticed you no talk after he put up a very good display vs Cape Verde :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Some 'weird reason' abi people are not allowed to watch a player and form their own conclusions that might differ from yours without it being labeled an 'agenda'? Ejaria hasn't even been cleared yet to play for us, I'm sure if he ever does and gets called we will all have a chance to see what he can bring. But based on his club play, I also share Otitokoro's pessimism having watched a few of his games (trying to see the Olise hype), I realized he seems like more of a luxury player while Olise was more productive one. But we could be wrong and he proves to be a useful SE in the long run, but doesn't mean we had an agenda against him...by the way how far with your Shehu agenda? I noticed you no talk after he put up a very good display vs Cape Verde :taunt:
Shehu was decent but it was his mistake that lead to us conceding that goal.

You talk of "luxuory" but Shehu is the very definition of luxury player.

We don't need a third right back who is clearly inferior to the two ahead of him. And he is also a mediocre midfielder.

SE lacks creative players and you are all trying to write off a player who had so.e of the best offensive statistics in the championship.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief,

I am one of those that believe Bonke did a reasonable job in the recent game. However, I am not sure he is here to stay. Bear in mind, Bonke played because of the absences of at least three key players based in England -- Ndidi, Etebo, and Onyeka. Given that fact, does Bonke really stand a chance to make a tournament squad at the moment? That is really the question.
chief nfachairman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:32 pm and SE in general.

1. By World cup, Nov 22 (We shall qualify), our attack would Chidera Ejuke, Osimhem and CHukwueze. Chidera is a handful like Chukwueze and Osimhem. He hits the ball very well too. CSKA is doing a fine job on him.

2. Bonke has come to stay. HE did his job very well in that middle. He made it a battleground. HE also showed up for his defenders to pick up the pass and hit the simple pass to the next man. He couldnt get complex becuase he's new to the team and needs to understand the movement of his other players. He has 3/4 more solid years to give the SE before he ends up in China, Qatar, etc.

I covered him here 2 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295151&p=5443327&hi ... e#p5443327

3. SE now have legit central/ Defensive midfield options going into the ANC and WC next year.
Ndidi - LEicester (EPL)
Etebo - Watford (EPL)
Onyeka - Brentford (EPL)
Bonke - Malmo (Swedish giants currently in the CL group stages)

4. Im afraid kingsley micheal would be dropping back to the reserve list once the other players are back. He would have to slug it out with Alhassan Yusuf, if any of the above is out.

5. Aribo should be pushed forward to play where he knows best. Attacking midfield and left and right mid/ attack. Gerard has said it over and over again that Aribo is a beast when given a free role in the AM position. ROhr needs to wake up! Aribo and Iwobi should go ahead to ahead and compete here.

6. Awaziem would be Troost Ekong's partner in the defense by 2022. Injuries have made Balogun pretty inconsistent.

7. We are thin with our central defense options. Thank God Rohr went to rent another Oyinbo for us, Akpoguma. Omeruo is getting to the China age already. Junior Pius is doing great at St.Trudient. He's had several issues bothering on crime and was again arrested late last year at MMIA. I understand he's a very divisive person. http://omasports.com/index.php/2020/12/ ... -of-funds/

8. Collins needs to get out of Bundesliga 2 and Sanusi must win his shirt back at Porto else our backline would be average by WC.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof.,
Concur with you regarding Bonke's performance. For someone who was earning his first ever cap in the GWG (at any level), he played quite well and acquainted himself. Kudos to the young man.
I liked the grit Bonke brought to the Cape Verde game. If you notice, they stopped making forays through our MF after the first 20 mins. That was key to them having limited success and very few shots on goal. Regarding his future chances, I'll adopt a wait and see approach.
Nigeria has lacked a DM that adds steel and grit to the midfield. Right now, save for Ndidi, our midfielders are softies (Aribo, Etebo, etc). Last person that provided steel and grit was Oliseh. All people here have been harping about is silky midfielders that lack grit. We need someone like a 'Gennaro Gattuso' to complement our stable of silky midfielders. So, I think Rohr is on point here.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm Chief,

I am one of those that believe Bonke did a reasonable job in the recent game. However, I am not sure he is here to stay. Bear in mind, Bonke played because of the absences of at least three key players based in England -- Ndidi, Etebo, and Onyeka. Given that fact, does Bonke really stand a chance to make a tournament squad at the moment? That is really the question.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Wrong!
The guy who scored for Cape Verde was their left wing back (#16 - Dylan Tavares Dos Santos) - and he was NOT Shehu's primary marker.
Person at fault was Moses Simon who went to sleep (min 18:15 of the match).
You may want to watch a replay of the match itself to be sure.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:07 pm
Shehu was decent but it was his mistake that lead to us conceding that goal.

You talk of "luxuory" but Shehu is the very definition of luxury player.

We don't need a third right back who is clearly inferior to the two ahead of him. And he is also a mediocre midfielder.

SE lacks creative players and you are all trying to write off a player who had so.e of the best offensive statistics in the championship.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

Good points on Bonke. He surely adds steel. There is no question about that.

However, I think Etebo has that as well. So does Onyeka. On Onyeka, I really like his game for his club and it makes me want to see him play again for Nigeria. Maybe, it was just stage fright with his previous appearance for Nigeria. However, one needs to know that it is after he gets additional games in the GWG. Etebo? Here is my take and it befuddles me given that Etebo is a guy with an eye for scoring, which we know from his games at the youth level. Two key points. (1) Etebo defensively does not win many balls. He, certainly, is not within range of what Ndidi does in that regard. I realize that few people are in that zone but we need someone remotely close. (2) If you watch Etebo close, his range of passing is extremely limited. It is always a short pass and simply circulating the ball around for the sake of it. Yes, it is good for maintaining possession but what else? He ought to diversify his passing range. On Bonke? defensively, he was quite notable but really he did not do much else to compete with Etebo. He did not protect or confidently keep possession as Etebo does.
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:23 pm Prof.,
Concur with you regarding Bonke's performance. For someone who was earning his first ever cap in the GWG (at any level), he played quite well and acquainted himself. Kudos to the young man.
I liked the grit Bonke brought to the Cape Verde game. If you notice, they stopped making forays through our MF after the first 20 mins. That was key to them having limited success and very few shots on goal. Regarding his future chances, I'll adopt a wait and see approach.
Nigeria has lacked a DM that adds steel and grit to the midfield. Right now, save for Ndidi, our midfielders are softies (Aribo, Etebo, etc). Last person that provided steel and grit was Oliseh. All people here have been harping about is silky midfielders that lack grit. We need someone like a 'Gennaro Gattuso' to complement our stable of silky midfielders. So, I think Rohr is on point here.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm Chief,

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

An agenda? Because I have a contrary opinion? Sure...

No one is knocking Ejaria. He is a decent player in his own right. However, it will be silly to go after a 'Regular Dog', when you have a chance to get the 'Top Dog'. This is about landing the very best candidates for the job. Pure and simple. No sentiments attached.

Will focus on Aribo (similar positions). No one 'came' for Aribo because that was done by Glasgow Rangers, when they signed him from Charlton Athletic. Neither Onyekuru or Onuachu play in the central midfield. Regarding Marcus Abraham, the SE scouting team saw enough potential in him to extend an invite. That means he is deemed a top performer (even while at the Portuguese 2nd div.). He now has a chance to stake a claim in his new club - just like Sanusi did while he was at Santa Clara.

And for the record, I don't recall making any previous disparaging remarks about Ejaria on this forum (feel free to peruse this site, if you so choose), prior till today. So, if you feel that is 'weird' or 'Agenda-Centric', well...
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 pm you sound like somebody with an agenda

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

For me, Etebo's best game was the 3-1 win against Algeria in the 2018 WCQ. Ever since then, he seems to have fallen short.
What I find most frustrating with him is he takes too many touches on the ball and slows the tempo of the game down. He seems unable to think quickly and pretty much telegraphs his thoughts while in possession of the ball. That's why he is second best to Aribo.
The one thing I liked about Bonke and Kingsley was their ability to dictate the tempo of the game. Bonke in particular was not unnecessarily dilly dallying around with the ball. They moved the ball quickly after winning it off the opponent.
On Frank 'the tank', would like to see more of him prior to making an assessment. Was NOT particularly impressed in his first go around against Cameroon. Interesting times we have, with all the talent being unearthed for the SE.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:48 pm Otitokoro,

Good points on Bonke. He surely adds steel. There is no question about that.

However, I think Etebo has that as well. So does Onyeka. On Onyeka, I really like his game for his club and it makes me want to see him play again for Nigeria. Maybe, it was just stage fright with his previous appearance for Nigeria. However, one needs to know that it is after he gets additional games in the GWG. Etebo? Here is my take and it befuddles me given that Etebo is a guy with an eye for scoring, which we know from his games at the youth level. Two key points. (1) Etebo defensively does not win many balls. He, certainly, is not within range of what Ndidi does in that regard. I realize that few people are in that zone but we need someone remotely close. (2) If you watch Etebo close, his range of passing is extremely limited. It is always a short pass and simply circulating the ball around for the sake of it. Yes, it is good for maintaining possession but what else? He ought to diversify his passing range. On Bonke? defensively, he was quite notable but really he did not do much else to compete with Etebo. He did not protect or confidently keep possession as Etebo does.