Chidera Ejuke: "The thing you dey find go Sokoto..."

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Chidera Ejuke: "The thing you dey find go Sokoto..."

Post by Damunk »

I've always liked the guy but felt he wasn't quite 'ready'.
After the CV game, there now seems to be a fans' consensus that he has really played his way into the reckoning and can't be ignored. But I think he needs an even closer look and since we are looking for that 'missing like' i.e the creative midfield genius, my thoughts continue to return to him.

Is this is a case of 'di ting you dey find go Sokoto dey for your sokoto'.
Could Ejuke be the creative AM we have been looking for?
The global game is replete with top players converting from one role earlier in their careers to really establishing themselves in another.

Ejuke has a lot of attributes that could make him a great AM but I suspect the obvious and 'natural' choice has always been to play him as a 'winger', probably because of his undoubted pace.

But are those silky skills more effective in the centre of the park pushing forward rather than out wide?
Watching his games before CSKA and since signing for them, it is clear he can play everywhere and at CSKA it seems he has been given the freedom to roam.

He is one guy that is not afraid to shoot from distance and quite accurately too. We saw that on Tuesday and it is also evident from his games at his club.

As a winger, I think he is restricted and under pressure to reach the byline and cross the ball, or cross earlier if possible.
However, his ball retention skills make him ideally suited for a creative midfield role and I believe he could be converted and given that responsibility which he can grow into over time.

I see a young Iniesta in him. Iniesta himself played all over the pitch as a younger player until he finally settled as a CM. This report below could be Ejuke they are describing:
Iniesta originally started as a defensive midfielder,[88] but his balance, ball control and agility in close spaces, allied with his skill and flair on the ball, saw him make progress as an attacking midfielder. Beyond his raw talent that was spotted at a young age by Barcelona's scouts, it was his great versatility, work ethic and inventiveness that allowed him to stake a claim on a first-team place at the age of 18.[89][90] Vicente del Bosque described him as "A complete footballer. He can attack and defend, he creates and scores," and Frank Rijkaard said, "I played him as a false winger, central midfielder, deep midfielder and just behind the striker and he was always excellent."[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A ... _reception
I think with some help, Ejuke might be our best option for finding the next real creative attacking midfielder. As has been pointed out, his decision making can be improved (eg, releasing the ball earlier) but if he is relieved of the responsibility of crossing the ball from out wide rather than finding the right man to finish off the moves he is very capable of creating out of nothing, then he just might thrive in that new role.

Now whether that has to occur in his club rather than a national team is up for debate.

Just an opinion.
What do you guys think?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg
Re: Chidera Ejuke: "The thing you dey find go Sokoto..."

Post by gochino »

That was exactly my point, I saw no logic in playing Musa as a 10 when we had Ejuke. I would say he Iwobi and Nacho are the only creative players we have right now.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

I like the fact that he's not afraid to take on defenders unlike his "back-passing" team mates. He can play in both wings and behind the strikers. He brings in options for for the coach
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

He has to learn when to stop dribbling and try to find a pass or shot. It’s quite frustrating watching him beat one and two and still try for 3 and 4 without even looking up to see if there is anybody free to pass to.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:56 pm He has to learn when to stop dribbling and try to find a pass or shot. It’s quite frustrating watching him beat one and two and still try for 3 and 4 without even looking up to see if there is anybody free to pass to.
Yeah.
I think that was the problem with the young Okocha too
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:56 pm He has to learn when to stop dribbling and try to find a pass or shot. It’s quite frustrating watching him beat one and two and still try for 3 and 4 without even looking up to see if there is anybody free to pass to.
Okocha was like that at this age, or even worse, even Ronaldo was full of unnecessary showboating when he first arrived Manu as a teenager. Its a learning process, even as annoying as he was he still made some brillant passes and nearly scored from a tricky long range shot.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:23 pm
Yeah.
I think that was the problem with the young Okocha too
Kinda, but JJ was more of a central midfielder in that he was mostly trying to dictate the pace of the game and also had eye for a pass (both short and long) but wasn't just always looking to run with the ball (to me Ejuke's game is more so like a Neymar than a JJ). I think Ejuke's style of play is more suited for the wing where he would likely lose the ball further up the field and out wide where the team can recover rather than in the middle of the pitch. He can always cut into the middle when given the chance and create/shoot.

That said seems he's likely to take Onyekuru's spot, and rightly so as he's more dynamic and you never know what you are going to get. He can give us some spark from the bench, but I was really hoping he would have gone to a better league where they would have helped him hone his skill. He's still the same player I saw in the Dutch league who I said at the time "never seen a dribble he didn't like" and needs to refine his game to be more productive.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

You have my 100% concurrence Damunk. We should start the campaign. Rohr must at least explore this option.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I believe that is more of a problem when he is out wide and runs into cul-de-sac s and lacks genuine options. If he plays centrally, I believe he will have more passing options, and also he will get into better scoring positions, and positions where his dribbles will be more dangerous.

Yes Damunk I agree with you 100%

I had talked about this over a year ago.

Another thing is I prefer us in 433 than a 442.

We've always played much better when Iwobi is deployed centrally with 2 midfielders behind him. We are one creative.

But the 442 is the only way to accommodate Nacho, so it's really a catch 22.

Ejuke can be deployed as an AM in a 433 or a winger in a 442.

I was impressed with Ejukes defensive contributions as well though I am not sure of his stamina.

I hope Rohr now knows Ejuke should be a key part of the squad. Only thing is Musas continued invitation will mean someone will miss out.

To think that Iwuala was forced into the team ahead of Ejuke.

These NFF clowns will destroy our football with their useless antics and preferences.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm
I believe that is more of a problem when he is out wide and runs into cul-de-sac s and lacks genuine options. If he plays centrally, I believe he will have more passing options, and also he will get into better scoring positions, and positions where his dribbles will be more dangerous.

We've always played much better when Iwobi is deployed centrally with 2 midfielders behind him. We are one creative.

I was impressed with Ejukes defensive contributions as well though I am not sure of his stamina.

I hope Rohr now knows Ejuke should be a key part of the squad. Only thing is Musas continued invitation will mean someone will miss out.

These NFF clowns will destroy our football with their useless antics and preferences.
Why do you always have to insult or be combative to make your point?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

So you think someone who likes to run into cul-de-sacs would be better suited in the middle where there are more bodies and can easily be crowded out? Well I did see him play some games for Herenveen at AM and he was same head down running with the ball dribbling non-stop. Worked some times but was mainly crowded out. Expect more of this (from 0:57 on lol)

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

highbury wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Been a Nigerian football fan is enough to draw the rye out of you, the continous invitation of Musa or even Anayo at some point was simply borderline criminal
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

His best position is LW plain and simple....
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Iwuala is another one singled out for your regular insults even when he didn't play
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:10 pm
highbury wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Been a Nigerian football fan is enough to draw the rye out of you, the continous invitation of Musa or even Anayo at some point was simply borderline criminal
Both Musa and Anayo are good players and not deserving of repeated insults from faceless forumers who decided to support Ivory Coast against their country.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Trust me, if Van City Eagles ever revealed himself, some will be shocked, something will not. I am of the latter. VE is at least 45yrs. No doubt!
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:10 pm

So you think someone who likes to run into cul-de-sacs would be better suited in the middle where there are more bodies and can easily be crowded out? Well I did see him play some games for Herenveen at AM and he was same head down running with the ball dribbling non-stop. Worked some times but was mainly crowded out. Expect more of this (from 0:57 on lol)

Omo your video Butresses Damon's point
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

He will play as a playmaker. Period!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

DIMKA76 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:32 pm
maceo4 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Omo your video Butresses Damon's point
For real? That’s what you want from a playmaker to run from one side to the other side of the field never penetrating the defense then just simply lose the ball for a goal kick after tiring himself out lol na una know sha…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ejuke

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Love or hate him, what a player! A winger/forward of the authentic Nigerian wingplay DNA. A disruptive player to the opposing and to some extent his own team.

Yes, the defense was tiring when he came on but he still did his job,they had no answers for him. His game is obviously not polished yet at 23yrs old but what he is now is a world class dribbler who needs to learn how to use his bag of tricks. Once he does, the boy will be a Barca,PSG, Mac City type talent. He could also be a Pius Ikeda if he doesn't.

I'm happy we have him.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ejuke

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm Love or hate him, what a player! A winger/forward of the authentic Nigerian wingplay DNA. A disruptive player to the opposing and to some extent his own team.

Yes, the defense was tiring when he came on but he still did his job,they had no answers for him. His game is obviously not polished yet at 23yrs old but what he is now is a world class dribbler who needs to learn how to use his bag of tricks. Once he does, the boy will be a Barca,PSG, Mac City type talent. He could also be avpius Ikeda if he doesn't.

I'm happy we have him.
Not been able to watch the match yet but I’ve been a fan and agree with everything you say.
I started a thread on him last week, asking whether he could be converted to a central playmaker over time.

All the criticisms of him were probably levelled at Okocha at the same stage of his career.
He just needs a coach to harness and channel his skills, like you say.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ejuke stats in Russia according to whoscored

#10 ranked player in the league
2 goals and 2 assists top of league is 8 goals and 4 assists
#1 for dribbles per match
#64 for key passes per match
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:41 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm Love or hate him, what a player! A winger/forward of the authentic Nigerian wingplay DNA. A disruptive player to the opposing and to some extent his own team.

Yes, the defense was tiring when he came on but he still did his job,they had no answers for him. His game is obviously not polished yet at 23yrs old but what he is now is a world class dribbler who needs to learn how to use his bag of tricks. Once he does, the boy will be a Barca,PSG, Mac City type talent. He could also be avpius Ikeda if he doesn't.

I'm happy we have him.
Not been able to watch the match yet but I’ve been a fan and agree with everything you say.
I started a thread on him last week, asking whether he could be converted to a central playmaker over time.

All the criticisms of him were probably levelled at Okocha at the same stage of his career.
He just needs a coach to harness and channel his skills, like you say.
The boy is special. I think we should play 2 DM behind him and let him be the No 10. It's a high risk high reward proposition, of he delivers we'll have world class AM. Limiting his to the wings is not the best way to allow him to thrive. He needs the free role.
OCCUPY NFF!!