SUPER EAGLES CAMP UPDATE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: SUPER EAGLES CAMP UPDATE

Post by iworo »

Dammy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:27 pm
iworo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:27 pm Nigeria's Okoye: 'They found it impossible to believe I had talent'

By Pieter Stroink van Eizenga
Football Writer, The Netherlands

Maduka Okqoye is hoping that October's back-to-back 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Central African Republic will help him to cement his role as Nigeria's first-choice goalkeeper and win over his doubters.

The Sparta Rotterdam stopper, 22, has started five of the Super Eagles' seven games this year, to take his total to 10 caps since his debut in 2019.

Germany-born Okoye has been on Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr's radar since playing in Germany with Fortuna Düsseldorf's under-19 team, and he is aware that some fans and media initially questioned his credentials.

"In the beginning, they (the critics) doubted me a lot," he told BBC Sport Africa. "When I played in the German lower leagues, they found it impossible to believe I had talent.

"Now there are fewer doubters; the higher you play at club level, the more they will respect you."

After some fine displays in the Dutch Eredivisie, Okoye believes he is gradually winning people over even if he knows he still has much to do.

"I've experienced for myself that playing for a club and then for your country is a whole other thing. I don't see myself as the Nigeria's number one yet, I have to work on a lot of things before I will be the undisputed number one."

Unforgettable debut

His 2019 debut was in a friendly against Brazil and saw him come on a substitute, while still playing for Fortuna Düsseldorf's second team, to face Gabriel Jesus, Richarlison and others.

"It felt almost unreal. We played a match in Singapore against Brazil, which was part of their friendly tour," he said.

"Francis Uzoho got injured so I had to do a quick warm-up together with the other reserve keeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa. It was either him or me.

Maduka Okoye made his debut for Nigeria in a friendly against Brazil in 2019

"I had to go for it, but I was nervous at first, and there were a lot of things going through my mind. However, as soon as I set foot on the field, it was like any other match."

He passed it with flying colours, conceding no goals as the game ended 1-1, the score when he came on with just under half an hour to play.

Okoye had come to Rohr's attention through Fortuna's then managing director of sport Lutz Pfannenstiel, who is not only a former professional goalkeeper but also has extensive links with Africa.

His success with Fortuna II secured a move to Dutch top-flight side Sparta Rotterdam in 2020 and at the end of his first full season, he was voted the fans' Player of the Season.

Now he is hoping he can earn similar support from the Nigeria fans, believing the upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers and January's Africa Cup of Nations finals will give him that chance.

"We have to do our job and qualify," he added. "I take everything step-by-step and continue my hard work for Nigeria and enjoy every single minute on the pitch with the support of our fans.

"These tournaments are going to be a huge platform for players like me. My ultimate goal is to hopefully play in the Premier League.

"The most important thing for me now is that I can play my games as a number one and develop myself as a keeper, and that is something I can do in the Eredivisie at Sparta Rotterdam."

On Thursday, Nigeria - who lead Group C with six points from two games - host Central African Republic in Lagos before facing the same side again on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/58760471
Okoye has been dropped for tomorrow's match against CAR due to late arrival in camp. He arrived late for the previous match against Liberia and it seems Rohr has had enough.
Francis Uzoho is expected to start.
For the past two days, I've noticed (with disdain) some brown envelope journalism (BEJ) articles aimed to portray Okoye in a negative light. Who are these people behind this desperate move? For example, you just said that, he arrived late for the previous match against Liberia; and that's a big lie bro. The Super Eagles camp opened in Lagos on August 29 for the Liberia clash. He arrived the next day August 30, 2021 with majority of the players :roll: :roll: .
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

see how decent the pitch looks, come match day the pathetic broadcast cameras go show us old school HDs
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Meet Super Eagles new invite, Calvin Bassey
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Super Eagles Manager, Gernot Rohr and team invitee Taiwo Awoniyi speak to Timeline News concerning the upcoming Match Day 3 African Qualifiers for the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup to be played in Lagos on Thursday October 7, 2022.

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

iworo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm
iworo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:27 pm Nigeria's Okoye: 'They found it impossible to believe I had talent'

Maduka Okqoye is hoping that October's back-to-back 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Central African Republic will help him to cement his role as Nigeria's first-choice goalkeeper and win over his doubters.

The Sparta Rotterdam stopper, 22, has started five of the Super Eagles' seven games this year, to take his total to 10 caps since his debut in 2019.

Germany-born Okoye has been on Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr's radar since playing in Germany with Fortuna Düsseldorf's under-19 team, and he is aware that some fans and media initially questioned his credentials.

"In the beginning, they (the critics) doubted me a lot," he told BBC Sport Africa. "When I played in the German lower leagues, they found it impossible to believe I had talent.

"Now there are fewer doubters; the higher you play at club level, the more they will respect you."

After some fine displays in the Dutch Eredivisie, Okoye believes he is gradually winning people over even if he knows he still has much to do.

"I've experienced for myself that playing for a club and then for your country is a whole other thing. I don't see myself as the Nigeria's number one yet, I have to work on a lot of things before I will be the undisputed number one."

Unforgettable debut

His 2019 debut was in a friendly against Brazil and saw him come on a substitute, while still playing for Fortuna Düsseldorf's second team, to face Gabriel Jesus, Richarlison and others.

"It felt almost unreal. We played a match in Singapore against Brazil, which was part of their friendly tour," he said.

"Francis Uzoho got injured so I had to do a quick warm-up together with the other reserve keeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa. It was either him or me.

"I had to go for it, but I was nervous at first, and there were a lot of things going through my mind. However, as soon as I set foot on the field, it was like any other match."

He passed it with flying colours, conceding no goals as the game ended 1-1, the score when he came on with just under half an hour to play.

Okoye had come to Rohr's attention through Fortuna's then managing director of sport Lutz Pfannenstiel, who is not only a former professional goalkeeper but also has extensive links with Africa.

His success with Fortuna II secured a move to Dutch top-flight side Sparta Rotterdam in 2020 and at the end of his first full season, he was voted the fans' Player of the Season.

Now he is hoping he can earn similar support from the Nigeria fans, believing the upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers and January's Africa Cup of Nations finals will give him that chance.

"We have to do our job and qualify," he added. "I take everything step-by-step and continue my hard work for Nigeria and enjoy every single minute on the pitch with the support of our fans.

"These tournaments are going to be a huge platform for players like me. My ultimate goal is to hopefully play in the Premier League.

"The most important thing for me now is that I can play my games as a number one and develop myself as a keeper, and that is something I can do in the Eredivisie at Sparta Rotterdam."

On Thursday, Nigeria - who lead Group C with six points from two games - host Central African Republic in Lagos before facing the same side again on Sunday.

Okoye has been dropped for tomorrow's match against CAR due to late arrival in camp. He arrived late for the previous match against Liberia and it seems Rohr has had enough.
For the past two days, I've noticed (with disdain) some brown envelope journalism (BEJ) articles aimed to portray Okoye in a negative light. Who are these people behind this desperate move? For example, you just said that, he arrived late for the previous match against Liberia; and that's a big lie bro. The Super Eagles camp opened in Lagos on August 29 for the Liberia clash. He arrived the next day August 30, 2021 with majority of the players :roll: :roll: .
Go and check again! Uzoho and Akpeyi were in camp before him and Uzoho was in the A team in preparation for the match until Okoye showed up and he was moved into the A team. Anyway, we will know tomorrow and you may not agree with me but calling me a liar is taking things too far! This is just a forum where we pass on information gleaned from different sources. Don't be too desperate to prove a point!!
I am happy
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Dammy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm

Unforgettable debut

Go and check again! Uzoho and Akpeyi were in camp before him and Uzoho was in the A team in preparation for the match until Okoye showed up and he was moved into the A team. Anyway, we will know tomorrow and you may not agree with me but calling me a liar is taking things too far! This is just a forum where we pass on information gleaned from different sources. Don't be too desperate to prove a point!!
Dammy, I’m sorry if I offended you, but that wasn't my intention. I probably should have used the word "not factual" instead of "lie"...Again, I apologized. Yes, Uzoho and Akpeyi were in camp before him (and several other players) on Monday morning August 30, 2021, but he came in with other players in the evening that same day. So, my point or question is, how does that amount to "he arrived late for the previous match against Liberia"?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Not holding brief for Dammy! Dammy is the no 1 supporter of Okoye on CE!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Can't recall if he was late last time but if he was then I don't blame Rohr....

Aribo was late last time too but was in on Monday for this game.......given the fact that we will only have 2 training sessions at most before tomorrow, every hour counts
Otitokoro wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:59 pm Late Sunday night away game vs PSV Eindhoven.
Missed his KLM flight on Monday morning to Lagos.
Arrived camp on Tuesday evening.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:39 pm But what is his excuse for arriving late? Did he have a late game for his club? Some excuses are warranted.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:59 pm Late Sunday night away game vs PSV Eindhoven.
Missed his KLM flight on Monday morning to Lagos.
Arrived camp on Tuesday evening.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:39 pm But what is his excuse for arriving late? Did he have a late game for his club? Some excuses are warranted.
Otitokoro

Thanks for the info.

Missing his flight is on him. I can understand if the Manager decides to bench him.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

'It's not professional' - Rohr launches scathing attack on Super Eagles GK Okoye

Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr was highly critical of Maduka Okoye during the pre-match press conference on Wednesday, a day before the Super Eagles face off with Central African Republic in a 2022 World Cup qualifier.

Allnigeriasoccer.com suggested yesterday that the Sparta Rotterdam glovesman was at risk of losing his spot in the Super Eagles starting XI due to his late arrival in camp and Rohr has confirmed as much .

The Franco-German manager questioned the professionalism of Okoye and his commitment to the national team cause after missing his flight to Lagos.

It is reflected in the statistics that the German-born goalie had been one of the untouchable players in the Super Eagles, starting all but one of the last ten games played by the Super Eagles A team, but could find himself on the bench for the first time since November 17, 2019 on Thursday.

Speaking at the briefing monitored by allnigeriasoccer.com, Rohr said : "The late arrival of Maduka, he arrived in the night only. He missed his flight, I am not happy about it, it's not professional.

"I am not sure that he will start the game, we have two other goalkeepers.

"Everybody believes that it will be an easy victory, it's not an easy match and when players are arriving late like this it is not helping us when we say we have to be serious.

"He did one training session this morning in the gym, then he will do another training session this afternoon.

"I spoke with him, he knows that it is not good, they were trying to have a good flight for him to come early he missed it.

"They have to learn to be really serious when they come to the national team."

Okoye, the youngest of the three goalkeepers named in the 23-man list, made his senior debut for the Super Eagles in an international friendly against Brazil in October 2019.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=41293
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Ezoho is starting
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cmoke wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:29 pm Ezoho is starting
Who? Lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

No sweat it is all good. Now Uzoho has to try and lock down the shirt and have Okoye fight to get it back. This is the kind of competition we need right across team. Taiwo Awoniyi is likely to give Osimhen a run for his money too, as Rohr is unlikely to play them both at the same time. Players just need to grab their opportunities with both hands..
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Last edited by iworo on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Nice one, we‘ll miss all this once Pinnick gets his way and the team is majority foreign born. :dream:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

YAAAAAWWWNNNNN!!!!!
maceo4 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 am Nice one, we‘ll miss all this once Pinnick gets his way and the team is majority foreign born. :dream:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:28 am YAAAAAWWWNNNNN!!!!!
maceo4 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 am Nice one, we‘ll miss all this once Pinnick gets his way and the team is majority foreign born. :dream:
Go find bed…haba
Super Eagus 4 Life!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

May no one discriminate against you and yours the way you are discriminating against others for something they had no control over.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

theDunamis wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:43 am
May no one discriminate against you and yours the way you are discriminating against others for something they had no control over.
Amen o! :blush:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 am
theDunamis wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:43 am
Amen o! :blush:
You understand the premise of his statement and it was what we discussed on the last CE zoom call.... Why are 'foreign born' (a term I don't like) given preference and opportunities in the SE.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Maceo4 you be correct guy but I expect better from you... I can't believe you engage yourself in this foreign born vs local nonsense (though I understand the premise you're coming from) but it's just very stale and unnecessary at this point... What makes you more Nigerian than those so called "foreign born" kids? make una stop all this childish inanities already, you're too enlightened for all of that.