Juan Antonio Pizzi applies for SE job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lacidi
Egg
Egg
Juan Antonio Pizzi applies for SE job

Post by lacidi »

Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Juan Antonio Pizzi applies for SE job

Post by fabio »

He has World Cup and Confederations Cup experience. He will not go to the WC to learn.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm He has World Cup and Confederations Cup experience. He will not go to the WC to learn.
Copa America winner as well. Better choice than Mladen Krstajić
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm
fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm He has World Cup and Confederations Cup experience. He will not go to the WC to learn.
I thought, we could not attract 'top' or 'successful' coaches. It boils down too, how you market yourself.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:37 pm
I thought, we could not attract 'top' or 'successful' coaches. It boils down too, how you market yourself.
Fabio

You should know that such talk was BS as I noted then. It is the market that dictates interest and reality is that there are far more job seekers in this market than there are jobs. That is elementary economics right there.

The reality was such simply represented a Rohr defense rather than anything else.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Not even on the same level.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

This is welcome.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Will he agree to live in Nigeria ? I don't thinkhes the type you can owe salary. Good luck sha.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:37 pm
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:26 pm Will he agree to live in Nigeria ? I don't thinkhes the type you can owe salary. Good luck sha.

Your lord and personal savior GroundNut **** lived in Nigeria and spent all his time fooking our women... thats what you are looking for abi? :roll: :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:26 pm Will he agree to live in Nigeria ? I don't thinkhes the type you can owe salary. Good luck sha.
Living in Nigeria must be stipulated in the contract. This the is type of rubbish Rohr got away with, with his supporters claiming he was monitoring players in Europe.

New coach should also manage CHAN team and live in Nigeria. SE job, is not a role that you fly into the country just before a match and fly out after the match.
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Are you insinuating that part of the requirements for the job is that the applicant should be willing to go on without being paid on time?? Abeg clarify what you mean by the bolded part of your comment above?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Living in Nigeria must be stipulated in the contract. This the is type of rubbish Rohr got away with, with his supporters claiming he was monitoring players in Europe.

New coach should also manage CHAN team and live in Nigeria. SE job, is not a role that you fly into the country just before a match and fly out after the match.
But SE got worse ever since Rohr started living in Nigeria.

We only have a month before ANC.

New coach needs to be scouting and meeting our players IN EUROPE.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Why is that an issue?

As long as you clearly establish his responsibilities, if he believes living in Europe, Kafanchan or wherever allows him to function better on the job, I truly do not care...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:26 pm But SE got worse ever since Rohr started living in Nigeria.

Evidence in Nigeria prove otherwise.

Nigeria's two most successful scouted coaches (Westerhof and Keshi) scouted players in Nigeria and outside Nigeria. The Rohr method of Europe only scouting as not yielded the desired fruit.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:42 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:26 pm But SE got worse ever since Rohr started living in Nigeria.

Evidence in Nigeria prove otherwise.

Nigeria's two most successful scouted coaches (Westerhof and Keshi) scouted players in Nigeria and outside Nigeria. The Rohr method of Europe only scouting as not yielded the desired fruit.

Rohr was not scouting in Nigeria?

What a convolution of facts to fit a predetermined narrative...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

gurrano wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:08 pm
Are you insinuating that part of the requirements for the job is that the applicant should be willing to go on without being paid on time?? Abeg clarify what you mean by the bolded part of your comment above?

When was the last time we had a coach that was paid on time as agreed? Will he be ok with no salary for months at a time? Half salary sometimes? That how we do.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Why is that an issue?

As long as you clearly establish his responsibilities, if he believes living in Europe, Kafanchan or wherever allows him to function better on the job, I truly do not care...
Can you truly have a proper feel of the psyche or football culture of Naijaria or Naijarian players living overseas or from watching tape?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Pizzi: My philosophy is based on possession and attack

21 Dec 2018

• A year into his role as Saudi Arabia coach, Pizzi speaks to FIFA.com
  • The former striker explains his philosophy and reveals his role models
  • He analyses Saudi Arabia's performance at Russia 2018 and reflects on his time with Chile

A gifted forward during his playing days, Juan Antonio Pizzi led the line for a number of high-profile clubs in South America, Mexico and Spain.

His predatory talents helped him clinch various domestic and continental trophies, as well as a Pichichi award as La Liga top scorer, and he also represented Spain at a FIFA World Cup™ and UEFA European Championship. Pizzi eventually hung up his boots in 2002 and disappeared from the game for several years, even playing polo in Barcelona, but he was merely awaiting the right opportunity to return to the sport closest to his heart.

Pizzi ultimately opted to embark on a coaching career, but his new journey could easily have ended before it began. Sacked after just three games in charge of Argentinian side Colon, the calm and charismatic manager did not lose faith in his potential and made a new start in 2006. Since then, he has enjoyed spells at several of the clubs he once represented as a player, accumulating experience year after year – but it was in Chile that he truly forged his reputation, winning his first title with Universidad Catolica.

Pizzi returned to Chile five and a half years later as coach of the national team, masterminding their victory at the Copa America Centenario in 2016 and steering his side to the final of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup. When Chile then missed out on a place at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, falling agonisingly short after looking poised to progress, Pizzi must have felt the tournament had passed him by.

However, a few months after leaving his Chile post, opportunity knocked. Appointed coach of Saudi Arabia, Pizzi oversaw their journey at Russia 2018 and earning some new admirers along the way. Now, the Argentinian-born tactician is preparing his team for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates, where he hopes to repeat his success with Chile and return Saudi Arabia to the continental summit after years of frustration.

Before putting the final touches on his plans for the tournament, Pizzi spoke to FIFA.com and discussed various topics, including his adventure with Saudi Arabia, his coaching philosophy, his role models and his spell in Chile.

FIFA.com: 28 November was the first anniversary of your appointment as Saudi Arabia coach. How would you judge the experience so far?
Juan Antonio Pizzi:
I had some doubts that I'd be able to do a good job. Russia 2018 was fast approaching and it usually takes time to get to know the players and pass on technical ideas. But, when I arrived in Saudi Arabia and started my work, I found a favourable environment. I got good support from the Saudi Arabian Football Federation and other sporting officials. The players also responded in a very promising way. I believe we performed well at the World Cup. Now, a year later, I can say that we have the desire and ambition to develop, as well as the fighting spirit to compete at the highest level.

How did you prepare for Saudi Arabia's campaign at Russia 2018?
On the road to the finals, things looked promising. We planned the preparation period, and it went perfectly. We set up a number of training camps and played friendlies that enabled me to get to know the players and implement technical ideas. Yes, the time was short, and things could have been different if I'd started the job a year earlier, but I believe we prepared and performed well at the tournament.

How was the atmosphere before the opening game, and what did you do after suffering a heavy loss to Russia?
We were very enthusiastic about playing the opening match, although we knew that our opponents were not easy to beat. But neither we nor the pessimists could have anticipated what happened. The 5-0 defeat was a real blow. It could have sparked off a negative spiral, but we contained the crisis. We encouraged the players, managed the situation from a psychological point of view and turned the negativity into positive energy that manifested itself in our second game.

Saudi Arabia almost looked to be a new team when they faced Uruguay, rather than a side that had just been handed a big defeat.
True. That's what we were counting on when we prepared for that game. Uruguay have some first-class players. Our mission was not only to stifle those players and focus on defending, but also to play a game worthy of Saudi Arabia's reputation and prove that the opening loss was just a minor stumble. The players went out on the pitch with the intention to compete, and they worked hard. We succeeded in our psychological approach, and that improved our tactical response. I think we played an extremely good game and could have got a draw.

Would you describe the final game against Egypt as a great victory?
Yes, why not? We beat an Egyptian team full of stars. We won not only in terms of the result but also with our performance. Our players had one of their best games. They remained steadfast after falling a goal behind and then scored twice, achieving a win that was a well-deserved reward.

Saudi Arabia are due to start their Asian Cup campaign in a few days. What will be different this time?
Everything. The situation is different now. We have a lot more responsibility than before the World Cup. We've had time to build on what we achieved in Russia. I expect the players to show a great response and to be up to the task. I believe we're moving in the right direction – towards the achievement of our goals in this continental tournament. My ambition has no limits. I'm a coach who believes in his work and always wants to get the best performance. My approach is to give the players total confidence so as to create a sense of responsibility and a strong desire to achieve our aims.

Saudi Arabia have appeared in the finals six times and won three titles. How do you see this competition going?
I'm aware of Asian football through my knowledge of the players and clubs in the year since I've been in Saudi Arabia. I've watched most of our competitors. I know that there's a big difference between the style here in Asia and the style in Europe or South America. As a coach, I don't like to make predictions. In this tournament, there will be tough matches and strong competitors who want to win, just like us. But I'll focus on my team to establish our own style and continue what we started in Russia. That will be our mantra before we begin the tournament.

You said that it is important for your team to play its own style. What is your coaching philosophy?
By nature, I don't like to play the role of the lone hero. There is a whole team working with me to accomplish our mission. But what I like most from my players is ball possession, creation of chances, tactical rigour and attack. I believe this is the right way for Saudi Arabia to play, no matter the opponents. This method requires intensive work. I trust the players because they have the necessary enthusiasm to implement this plan on the pitch and achieve the required results.

Do you think a coach who has played in major tournaments like the World Cup and European Championship has a greater influence on players?
That's not the decisive factor between success or failure, but sharing experiences is important and may give you credibility among the players. I believe it's more important for the players themselves to gain that experience. As you know, none of the Saudi players had taken part in a World Cup before the last tournament. Now they have experienced that competition, and both the good and bad moments. Players develop through accumulated experience and multiple participations, and you can see their performances improve every time they play. Now I'm looking forward to watching everyone showcase their ability at the Asian Cup and the tournaments to come in the years ahead.

Who is your role model in the world of coaching? And what attracted you to this job after your retirement?
Many retired players want to stay in touch with football. Everyone looks for the job that suits them – and coaching is certainly one of those! I waited for four years before I found the job that fulfilled my ambitions. Perhaps I was influenced by the Dutch school, which is based on possession and control; that inflamed my passion for this job. There are many big names in the world of coaching that I wanted to be like, such as Guus Hiddink and Louis van Gaal. There's also Jupp Heynckes, Bobby Robson, Jorge Valdano and Ramon Diaz.

What are the differences between coaching a club and coaching a national team?
There's a clear difference in general. The thing about coaching national teams is that you deal with a broad base of players throughout a country. You can bring in and change players from time to time to correct mistakes. But sometimes it's difficult to get to know all the players during the short periods we spend together. In the case of clubs, you deal with the same players, sometimes for many seasons. You work with them on a daily basis and you become aware of everything, including minute details.

We cannot end this discussion without mentioning your spell with Chile, which brought a Copa America title but also the disappointment of missing out on the World Cup. How would you describe that experience?
After winning the Copa America in 2015, there was a sense of complacency, and it was difficult to get the players to maintain the same level. We had to rekindle their enthusiasm. We played some excellent games at the Copa America Centenario in 2016 and won the title after some amazing results. Our performance at the Confederations Cup was also extremely good, and we could've won the title. But after that, we had the tough mission of maintaining the players' physical strength across the last four games in the World Cup qualifiers. We lost three matches and fell short of qualifying by just two points. Perhaps the physical factor was the main reason we missed out on Russia 2018.

https://www.fifa.com/news/pizzi-my-phil ... and-attack
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

INTERVIEW: Juan Antonio Pizzi says Saudi Arabia have nothing to fear at World Cup

16 June 2018

• Argentine boss of Green Falcons certain the players are now used to his style of play after seven months in the hotseat.
  • Pizzi and players head to Russia where they will play the hosts in the opening match on Thursday.
MOSCOW: From Diego Simeone to Pep Guardiola via Mauricio Pochettino and Jorge Sampaoli, the footballing influence of Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa is far-reaching. Last November, when Juan Antonio Pizzi was appointed head coach of the Saudi Arabia national team, those famous tactical tentacles reached Riyadh.

Both Bielsa and Pizzi have coached the Chilean national team in recent years and the latter has spoken of his admiration he holds for the former. Bielsa’s teams are known for their stamina, willingness to press the opposition high up the pitch, and tendency to rush forward in numbers. For Pizzi, this strategy worked perfectly when he led Chile to victory at the 2016 Copa America, with the highlight a 7-0 annihilation of Mexico in the quarterfinals.

However, when Pizzi was appointed by the Saudi Arabia Football Federation to replace Edgardo Bauza, it was said the Gulf side lacked the players to implement the same high-intensity style. Instead of internationally trained global stars such as Alexis Sanchez and Arturo Vidal, the 50-year-old was inheriting a squad of players competing exclusively in their local league.
It was not a straightforward handover, either. The Green Falcons had qualified for the World Cup under the guidance of Bert van Marwijk, who had a winning 4-3-3 formation and a well-disciplined team. When the Dutchman refused to relocate to the Kingdom, however, his contract was not renewed. That opened the door for Bauza, but the former Argentina national team coach was dismissed after just three official games having lost twice and netted just two goals.

Now, seven months on, performances are much improved; the Green Falcons are showing signs of a return to form, only this time with a Bielsian flavour. With Pizzi opting more often for a 4-2-3-1 formation, recent preparatory games against Algeria and Greece included rapid attacks featuring four or five players, while the energetic press in the second half against Italy that led to Yahya Al-Shehri scoring stemmed from the side winning possession in the opposition half. The 3-0 defeat to Peru was, Pizzi believes, a mere hiccup given he had selected an experimental 11.

“I can identify with Bielsa, but we coaches need to be open and adaptable, never dismissive of a tactical scheme or a future possibility, even if we like some strategies more than others. That is why, as a head coach, I do not like to be confined to one set of tactics,” Pizzi told Arab News in his first sit-down interview with an English-language outlet since taking the reins of the team.

“My overwhelming belief is that any footballer in the world can be adapted to any position, but only on the condition that the player is willing to take on board the head coach’s instructions. I mean, that’s essentially the main responsibility of a head coach — to identify the strengths of each player, how each player can be improved, and then to create a playing style that will bring all the players together and produce success on the pitch.”

Pizzi trained under Bauza at Rosario Central in 1999-2000 and is understandably respectful of his compatriot. He insists he did not seek out his former coach before accepting the opportunity to replace him and was not concerned by the amount of time Bauza had been given by the Saudi Arabian Football Federation. Instead, Pizzi said, he is his own confident man with his own unique tactical ideas.

“Bauza was my coach while in Argentina and I don’t like to speak too much about other coaches,” he said. “I am just trying always to impose my own playing style on my teams; the style that I want. I respect all the playing styles over the world; they are all different and have their own values, but this is my way.

“I like to press high up the park and put the opponents under pressure. Take the ball to the offensive line and get into a situation where we can score. Sometimes that happens and other times it is not very effective, but that’s the general objective. For me, it is not always to put more players into the attack, but this is one idea.”

One of Pizzi’s biggest challenges is turning around his team’s fortunes in front of goal. Although the Green Falcons are creating chances, profligacy is hurting them. They have managed just eight goals in their past seven matches and Mohamed Al-Sahlawi, the team’s lone striker, is suffering an international goal drought that dates back more than a year.

The Al-Nassr forward scored 16 times in 14 games during qualifying, but these statistics appear less impressive considering eight were against East Timor and only two arrived in the final qualifying phase when the opposition was more robust. Al-Sahlawi has failed to score for his country since a 3-2 defeat to Australia last June.

Pizzi, a former striker who racked up 160 goals in 364 games during a 15-year career with clubs including Barcelona, Tenerife and Valencia, knows only too well the importance of scoring for an attacking player’s confidence. And he is keen to ease the pressure on his only viable No. 10.

“I think that when it comes to strikers, their performances are related directly to self-belief and trust, and that can only grow when they do what they are chosen to do — score goals,” said the Argentine, who chose to represent Spain at international level and went on to net eight times in 22 appearances.

“But scoring is not the only reason strikers are in the team and it’s not their only task. That’s why it’s important for us to get the message across to all the players that it’s a team game and everyone must work together to score. Although it’s logical that the striker will make the goals because of his position on the pitch, without his teammates it is almost impossible for him to score.”

The focus now is working on composure in front of goal, but when Pizzi first took charge he had to increase not only his players’ fitness levels, but also their professionalism. Too many took their positions for granted while, under Bauza, many players had marked a 3-0 friendly defeat to Portugal by gorging on fast food. Such ingrained culture is difficult to erase, but having worked daily with his players for close to two months ahead of Thursday’s opening match, Pizzi is confident that they now understand what is required of them, and why.

“I’ve trained teams in Argentina, Spain and Mexico and also the national team in Chile,” he said.
“The most important thing is finding that professional, competitive level. We have had to reinforce personal levels of competitiveness in order to get players to compete again throughout the whole team. And that not only involves physical ability, but also fitness, diet and nutrition, and general professionalism.

“Fortunately, the players here are very malleable and have adapted to what we want from them. They know what to expect in Russia and know what we expect of them, so we are ready to perform to our best abilities. We are looking forward to the World Cup without fear.”

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1318756/sport
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Pizza may be a better option than Milo.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

This is the kind of coach we should be going for. I pray it happens.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:24 pm
txj wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Why is that an issue?

Can you truly have a proper feel of the psyche or football culture of Naijaria or Naijarian players living overseas or from watching tape?

Yes. He's not coaching or camping them virtually, is he?

Its one of those 'eye service' issues that bears little or no relevance to results.

If we had a functional league, it might be a totally different issue, but we do not...

Pizzi is a quality manager but very stubborn to his views...