Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by 1naija »

Read my statement again. I said given his last performance AND the inclussion of two other strikers who many would argue are in top form as well.

Its not about fairness, it about the players selected. Unless you are saying its fair that the players that didnt make the 28 were left out.
kawawa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:30 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:21 pm I take it you've not seen Umar as a winger. In fact the two times i have watched him, he was played as a winger.

The only questionable inclusion in the list given his last performance for Nigeria, and the inclusion of Denis and Sadiq, is Awoniyi.

waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:48 pm Not sure the list makes a whole lot of sense to me.
We seem to be solving the wrong problems.
Like Osimhen’s injury. I know we all love Awoniyi and Umar, but no squad needs those two, plus Dennis, Iheanacho, Osimhen and Ighalo in a team that is likely to play only one attacker, especially with a slew of wide-attackers.
And this nonsense about looking for an AM when we don’t really need one. And so we invite Nwakali, when Aribo and Iwobi are already in the squad.
Meanwhile, Ndidi is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad. And Balogun the only CD comfortable on the ball. And we’ve kept Bassey at home leaving guess who, Balogun again, as our left-sided CD.
And then we keep folks like Shehu and Musa in the squad when we should be blooding Alhassan and Amoo.
So no, I don’t get it. I don’t get it all.
Taiwo played one game. Not a fair assessment given Dennis did not light up when he got a chance for Nigeria and Sadiq has no such comparison as yet. Taiwo has been at least as good for his team as any Nigerian attacker this season. Top 5 league, Europe. Maybe we wait for Sadiq to get one game for Nigeria or play in a league like the Bundesliga. It would have been a travesty to disregard Taiwo because of one subbed in game.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Flag of Nigeria Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Odas »

joao wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:33 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:04 pm You still can drop and add whoever you want on your list. Eguavoen has made his list.
Abe no mind our always complaining ITKs.
Eguavoen is yet to play a game and CE experts are already judging him.
Can't wait to see the starting eleven. There will be smoke and fire on CyberEagus.
Exactly what I wondered. Why all the complaints when Eguavoen is yet to coach a game? Na wa-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Dammy »

I feel so sorry for Akpoguma. He's just finding out what Nigeria is about. He gave an interview earlier this month where he spoke about looking forward to the AFCON. Little did he know he was going to be dropped for an uncapped player from the South African league.
I need those supporting this obvious corrupt selection to put a positive spin on it. I'm waiting...........
I am happy
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:38 pm Read my statement again. I said given his last performance AND the inclussion of two other strikers who many would argue are in top form as well.

Its not about fairness, it about the players selected. Unless you are saying its fair that the players that didnt make the 28 were left out.
kawawa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:30 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:21 pm I take it you've not seen Umar as a winger. In fact the two times i have watched him, he was played as a winger.

The only questionable inclusion in the list given his last performance for Nigeria, and the inclusion of Denis and Sadiq, is Awoniyi.

waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:48 pm Not sure the list makes a whole lot of sense to me.
We seem to be solving the wrong problems.
Like Osimhen’s injury. I know we all love Awoniyi and Umar, but no squad needs those two, plus Dennis, Iheanacho, Osimhen and Ighalo in a team that is likely to play only one attacker, especially with a slew of wide-attackers.
And this nonsense about looking for an AM when we don’t really need one. And so we invite Nwakali, when Aribo and Iwobi are already in the squad.
Meanwhile, Ndidi is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad. And Balogun the only CD comfortable on the ball. And we’ve kept Bassey at home leaving guess who, Balogun again, as our left-sided CD.
And then we keep folks like Shehu and Musa in the squad when we should be blooding Alhassan and Amoo.
So no, I don’t get it. I don’t get it all.
Taiwo played one game. Not a fair assessment given Dennis did not light up when he got a chance for Nigeria and Sadiq has no such comparison as yet. Taiwo has been at least as good for his team as any Nigerian attacker this season. Top 5 league, Europe. Maybe we wait for Sadiq to get one game for Nigeria or play in a league like the Bundesliga. It would have been a travesty to disregard Taiwo because of one subbed in game.
I did. Just thought that it should have said “ the only questionable inclusion given not playing in a top 5 league and the inclusion of Taiwo and Dennis…” just opinions different of course.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kawawa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:35 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:31 pm Based on the list, the likely srarting 11 will be

Akpeyi
Ekong
Balogun
Awaziem
Aina
Aribo
Ndidi
Iwobi
Simon
Sadiq
Osimhen / Denis .. depending on Osimhen's health.

This lineup gives us the flexibility of playing Osimhen as the lone striker with Sadiq on the wing , then switching to make both of the main strikers.

Coach 1naija is the shiznit!!!!4👍👍👍😁
Sadiq not playing as a winger on this team not with Samu, Ejuke and even Dennis in the midst. He is Covid cover for striker position. Na me talk am.
Forgive 1Naija he doesn’t even know who Sadiq (who has never played for the SE) is…The strikers are Osimhen,, Ighalo, Awoniyi, and Sadiq Umar. Dennis that he’s putting as a sub for Osimhen is clearly a winger and not a top 9 unless we decide to play a false nine. But what sense would it be to take 4 strikers only to then play a false 9?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:57 pm I feel so sorry for Akpoguma. He's just finding out what Nigeria is about. He gave an interview earlier this month where he spoke about looking forward to the AFCON. Little did he know he was going to be dropped for an uncapped player from the South African league.
I need those supporting this obvious corrupt selection to put a positive spin on it. I'm waiting...........
You guys gotta find something to b1tch about. Akpoguma na deep bench player and has yet to establish himself on this team, his being dropped is NOT a big deal given we have 5 trusted CDs ahead of him. If Balogun can’t go I can see Kevin replacing him, but it’s really not that serious.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:05 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:57 pm I feel so sorry for Akpoguma. He's just finding out what Nigeria is about. He gave an interview earlier this month where he spoke about looking forward to the AFCON. Little did he know he was going to be dropped for an uncapped player from the South African league.
You guys gotta find something to b1tch about. Akpoguma na deep bench player and has yet to establish himself on this team, his being dropped is NOT a big deal given we have 5 trusted CDs ahead of him. If Balogun can’t go I can see Kevin replacing him, but it’s really not that serious.
Nah you wey get time.. let them rant joor...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

mcal wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:16 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:08 pm So he selects Musa over Kalu and onyekueu Why has Musa not self retiref from the national team? He is harming the team.
...what difference does i make? Focus on the 1st eleven or 15 players who will actually.
It's not like Musa will start. He can only come in when we are cruising and needing to rest players, or come in when the whole team is stinking like we saw during qualification matches.
Depth matters with Covid uncertainty. We can't be wasting spots.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

:glare:
Every good and perfect things comes from Europe. I knew you were going to bring up corruption when a Nigerian takes over.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Here would have been my 28.

Gk- Okoye, Uzoho,. Akpeyi
Rb- Aina, Ebuehi,Shehu
Lb- Sanusu, Collins
cB- Balogub, Awazien, Ekong, Omeruo Bassey, Ajayi
Mf- Ndidi, Onyeka, Aribo, Nwakili, Ejaria, Bonke

FW- Osimhen Sadiq Awoniyi, Iheanacho, Chukwuze, S Moses, Ejuke, Iwobi

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The overreactions here are funny to see, are we more concerned with what player got selected or not than actually how the team will play under Eguavoen? Have we even discussed Egu's style of football, formation, in-game management etc? Nigerians sha...
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Exactly why I did not want a Nigerian coach.

Imagine if Rohr had not submitted the 40 man list, it could have been much worse.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:05 pm
Their agenda isn't hard to see, they will nitpick on literally everything even the most irrelevant of things and b1tch about it just to spite a local coach, I don't think the late Keshi ( a legend for that matter) got this much "love" when he was fired over some old German journeyman coach that will be smiling to the bank again when one lowly ranked African team need his services.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Exactly why I did not want a Nigerian coach.

Imagine if Rohr had not submitted the 40 man list, it could have been much worse.
And the flip-flopping begins, so predictable :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

At the end of the day this squad is good enough to win the afcon if they play to their potential. Tournaments are won and lost based on how the team gels over the course of the tournament and how players and coaches step up in the heat of battle. Some you expect to perform may not and others you didn’t expect may do well. It is time to see what this generation can do
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:52 pm The overreactions here are funny to see, are we more concerned with what player got selected or not than actually how the team will play under Eguavoen? Have we even discussed Egu's style of football, formation, in-game management etc? Nigerians sha...
This shows that we are not moving forward in improving our team.

It shows that there are more IMPORTANT PRIORITIES, than making SE improve.

It fear will be a case of two steps forward then three back.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:10 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:52 pm The overreactions here are funny to see, are we more concerned with what player got selected or not than actually how the team will play under Eguavoen? Have we even discussed Egu's style of football, formation, in-game management etc? Nigerians sha...

What's your criteria for defining improvement? we haven't even see what Eguavoen is made of so every reaction here has been knee-jerky and premature, let's wait till January 11 when we meet 11 v 11 against Egypt, then we will know what we're all about.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:37 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:10 pm

What's your criteria for defining improvement? we haven't even see what Eguavoen is made of so every reaction here has been knee-jerky and premature, let's wait till January 11 when we meet 11 v 11 against Egypt, then we will know what we're all about.
Improvement to him is picking the players HE likes. Even if the coach wins the tournament with other players it’s still not good enough for him lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So please explain the rational for dropping a seasoned defender playing in Germany, who has been doing well at his club for some guy in South Africa.

Please explain the reasoning, because I see absolutely non other than bringing the pimping business back.

It's disgraceful, and we wonder why we continue to fail.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The way I see it Eguoavoen has basically kicked out all the Foreign born players he could.

Lookman
Ejaria
Akpoguma
Ebuehi
Bassey

Yet he included rubbish players like Musa, Ighalo, Ndah, Omeruo, Collins.

The only foreign born he retained are key members of the squad and in fact all starters. He couldn't drop these players just yet, but wait until later if my suspicions come true.

Iwobi
Aina
Aribo
Balogun
Troost
Okoye

It seems he has done away with any foreign born who is not a starter.

And people think this is SE going in the right direction.

Just wait until he release a list without Rohrs influence, you will see why home grown coaches are not desired.

This is blatant discrimination. I hope I am wrong but this is what it looks like.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

There is enough talent in that list to win Afcon. If we get good coaching and hit out peak at the later stages. The problem is I don't think we have the coaching and there is a lot of favoritsim or lack of merit in the way they do things in the Eagles. Musa and Ighalo shouldn't be a part of the team. We don't need 4 GKs. Too many strikers. Eguavon is a lame duck, yes man coach. He doesn't' even have a contract or a contract that can't be easily terminated. If the Oga or Godfather says jump. He will jump.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I remember when I claimed the NFF were the ones stalling the fifa change of Lookman and Ejaria.

Does that now not seem like a very likely possibility ? You get guys like them , Akpoguma , Bassey to switch, and then drop them for inferior players.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I am starting to see why Nigeria is a hot mess. Alot of you lot are just as corrupt and crooked as those in power. How can you justify dropping guys that plays regularly in the bunesliga, Seria A, Scottish Prem in positions where we are light on personel for bums that play in Cyprus, German 2nd Division, Saudi Retirement league etc. Why must we always go to a Major tournament with a sh!!t bench? We all know the likes of Shehu, Collins, Ighalo, Akpeyi, Noble, Musa do not deserve to be at the AFCON. Even Nwakali sef i would drop for Onyedika and/or Yusuf. The same clowns like 1naija, Lollipops Muhammed and Kongi the dunce will come and say we have average players yet they will justify picking rubbish players like Shehu over better more deserving players like Ebuehi.

Good luck to the SEs but i dont expect much.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.